Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Should we listen to Dr. Mercola and Weston A Price? - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Should we listen to Dr. Mercola and Weston A Price? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Should we listen to Dr. Mercola and Weston A Price? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Should we listen to Dr. Mercola and Weston A Price? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Should we listen to Dr. Mercola and Weston A Price? - Page 2 EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Should we listen to Dr. Mercola and Weston A Price? - Page 2 EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Should we listen to Dr. Mercola and Weston A Price? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

» Medical Coder During C0NV!D
Should we listen to Dr. Mercola and Weston A Price? - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Potential Natural Products Regulation of Molecular Signaling Pathway in Dermal Papilla Stem Cells
Should we listen to Dr. Mercola and Weston A Price? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 7:44 am by CausticSymmetry

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Should we listen to Dr. Mercola and Weston A Price?

+10
tonyj
abc123
ubraj
Espio
mphatesmpb
ViolatedBird
CausticSymmetry
nidhogge
soccerguy
zanza
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Should we listen to Dr. Mercola and Weston A Price? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we listen to Dr. Mercola and Weston A Price?

Post  abc123 Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:10 am

Columbo wrote:
abc123 wrote:

400g carbs. Fruit only. Some times I will and dairy.

400g carbs from fruit only? What's that, 15-20 pieces of fruit a day?!?

3l of orange juice and prunes

abc123

Back to top Go down

Should we listen to Dr. Mercola and Weston A Price? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we listen to Dr. Mercola and Weston A Price?

Post  abc123 Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:12 am

oirvblp wrote:
abc123 wrote:
It's because typically an ultra low fat diet always decreases pufa and therefore decreases inflammatory auto immune problems.

FWIW, wasn't meaning that. Here is some info what I mean

What I was meaning is biofilm is made up of calcium, magnesium, iron, fat, etc.. Reducing intake of fat will help here in a similar manner as chelating with EDTA (e.g. detoxamin) for biofilm issues.

A quote =

•He uses a McDougall low-fat diet with patients as biofilms have a fat component to them and eating fats, even healthy fats, may add to the problem of biofilms. The Swank MS low-fat diet may also be helpful.
•As you give more fatty acids, you increase the growth rate of the organism by 150 times. Organism likes fat and fat restriction may be a key to recovery. No meat, no cheese, no oils, no avocados, no nuts.
•Dr. Klinghardt suggested that liposomal artemisinin may be helpful here given that these microbes love fats...
•High protein diets are acidic and a disaster for people with Lyme disease. Stay away from fats.
http://www.betterhealthguy.com/joomla/blog/242-a-deep-look-beyond-lyme

I know, I'm saying that the unintended pufa restriction is the real reason they get better.

abc123

Back to top Go down

Post  ubraj Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:30 am

mphatesmpb wrote:Where do biofilms form besides the gut and mouth? It seems like any surface that is part of the digestive tract would be easier to rid of biofilms, since dietary approach can be used. But what about the others?

Biofilm is everywhere in and on the body.

Dr. Klinghardt mentioned Cistus Incanus tea being the best biofilm remover... ahead of the previous best biofilm remover being EDTA chelation.

I'd personally try that if one wants to tackle biofilm issues.

ubraj

Back to top Go down

Post  ubraj Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:32 am

Espio wrote:
OR receded gums right? I'm 27 years old but my gums are so receded that my teeth look as long as a 60 year old!

Off top of my head can look into you being lead toxic.

Personally, I'd also be taking AMLA or Triphala to help.

ubraj

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:45 am

LOL, it's funny how "natural health" people say grains cause insulin resistance, with no facts at all, all you can say is that "well man has only had agriculture for 5,000 years so our body hasn't evolved for it yet." That is not a fact, evolution is a theory, and archeology has well proven that we agriculture and civilization has been here for hundreds of thousands of years.

Let's look at real facts other than just this evolutionary mumbo-jumbo:

http://www.ajcn.org/content/78/5/965.short

Whole-grain intake and insulin sensitivity: the Insulin Resistance Atherosclerosis Study1,2,3
Angela D Liese, Amy K Roach, Karen C Sparks, Len Marquart, Ralph B D'Agostino Jr and Elizabeth J Mayer-Davis
1 From the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Arnold School of Public Health, University of South Carolina, Columbia (ADL, AKR, KCS, and EJM-D); the Department of Food Science and Nutrition, University of Minnesota, St Paul (LM); General Mills Inc, Minneapolis (LM); and Bowman Gray School of Medicine, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, NC (RBD).
Background: Increased intake of whole-grain foods has been related to a reduced risk of developing diabetes and heart disease. One underlying pathway for this relation may be increased insulin sensitivity.

Objective: We assessed the relation between dietary intake of whole grain-containing foods and insulin sensitivity (SI).

Design: We evaluated data from the Insulin Resistance Atherosclerosis Study (IRAS Exam I, 1992-1994). Usual dietary intakes in 978 middle-aged adults with normal (67%) or impaired (33%) glucose tolerance were ascertained by using an interviewer-administered, validated food-frequency questionnaire. Whole-grain intake (servings per day) was derived from dark breads and high-fiber and cooked cereals. SI was assessed by minimal model analyses of the frequently sampled intravenous-glucose-tolerance test. Fasting insulin was measured by using a radioimmunoassay. We modeled the relation of whole-grain intake to log(SI + 1) and to log(insulin) by using multivariable linear regression.

Results: On average, IRAS participants consumed 0.8 servings of whole grains/d. Whole-grain intake was significantly associated with SI (ß = 0.082, P = 0.0005) and insulin (ß = -0.0646, P = 0.019) after adjustment for demographics, total energy intake and expenditure, smoking, and family history of diabetes. The addition of body mass index and waist circumference attenuated but did not explain the association with SI. The addition of fiber and magnesium resulted in a nonsignificant association that is consistent with the hypothesis that these constituents account for some of the effect of whole grains on SI.

Conclusion: Higher intakes of whole grains were associated with increases in insulin sensitivity.

Espio, the study you posted is an example of those epidemiological studies that shouldn't be trusted due to presence of confounding variables. Since whole grains have been repeatedly marketed as health food, people who consume whole grains regularly are likely to be from the "health-conscious" subset of the population, and this subset of the population is more likely to make other lifestyle/diet decisions that could have been the actual causes of the observed results. For example, consumption of fruits and vegetables.

Even if we were to ignore the issue of confounding variables, the study only shows that increased consumption of whole grains is associated with increased insulin sensitivity. It could just be that the rest of the population is consuming refined grains, and thus have even worse insulin sensitivity than the whole grain group.

Post some real evidence showing that grains improve insulin sensitivity.

Last edited by mphatesmpb on Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:00 am

I also forgot to mention that long-term storage of grains results in contamination by mycotoxins, which are produced by fungi that colonize the grain stores.
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  Espio Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:46 pm

Oh I'm sorry the study I posted is not "real evidence." How about this one, go ahead and reach for as many reasons you can to explain away this:

The authors tested the hypothesis that consumption of whole grain is associated with greater insulin sensitivity and lower body mass index (BMI) (weight (kg)/height (m)2) in adolescents and that this association is stronger among the heaviest adolescents. Two 127-item food frequency questionnaires were administered at the mean ages of 13 years (standard deviation 1.2) and 15 years (standard deviation 1.3) to 285 Minnesota adolescents who underwent two euglycemic insulin clamp studies 2 years apart as part of a protocol evaluating the influence of insulin resistance on development of adverse cardiovascular disease risk factors. Intake of whole grain was examined for associations with BMI and insulin sensitivity (measured as milligrams of glucose uptake per kilogram of lean body mass (Mlbm) per minute). After adjustment for age, gender, race, Tanner stage, and energy intake, mean BMI was 23.6 for adolescents consuming less than serving/day of whole-grain foods, 22.6 for –1 servings/day, and 21.9 for more than 1 servings/day (p = 0.05). After adjustment for age, gender, race, Tanner stage, energy intake, BMI, and physical activity, Mlbm was 11.6, 12.3, and 13.2 mg/kg/minute, respectively, in the three whole grain intake groups (p = 0.02). This relation was stronger among adolescents with higher BMIs (p = 0.001). Whole grain intake was associated with greater insulin sensitivity and lower BMI in adolescents, especially among the heaviest persons.

Now, after you reach for a bunch of reasons for why these studies are flawed, why don't YOU provide a study to back up your theory, that whole grains cause insulin resistance. Besides, you are the one making the outlandish theory here, if you ask anyone on the street chances are they will agree that whole grains are good for you. You are the one making the statement that is against the norm, so the burden of proof is on you.

Espio

Back to top Go down

Post  abc123 Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:44 am

Espio wrote:Oh I'm sorry the study I posted is not "real evidence." How about this one, go ahead and reach for as many reasons you can to explain away this:

The authors tested the hypothesis that consumption of whole grain is associated with greater insulin sensitivity and lower body mass index (BMI) (weight (kg)/height (m)2) in adolescents and that this association is stronger among the heaviest adolescents. Two 127-item food frequency questionnaires were administered at the mean ages of 13 years (standard deviation 1.2) and 15 years (standard deviation 1.3) to 285 Minnesota adolescents who underwent two euglycemic insulin clamp studies 2 years apart as part of a protocol evaluating the influence of insulin resistance on development of adverse cardiovascular disease risk factors. Intake of whole grain was examined for associations with BMI and insulin sensitivity (measured as milligrams of glucose uptake per kilogram of lean body mass (Mlbm) per minute). After adjustment for age, gender, race, Tanner stage, and energy intake, mean BMI was 23.6 for adolescents consuming less than serving/day of whole-grain foods, 22.6 for –1 servings/day, and 21.9 for more than 1 servings/day (p = 0.05). After adjustment for age, gender, race, Tanner stage, energy intake, BMI, and physical activity, Mlbm was 11.6, 12.3, and 13.2 mg/kg/minute, respectively, in the three whole grain intake groups (p = 0.02). This relation was stronger among adolescents with higher BMIs (p = 0.001). Whole grain intake was associated with greater insulin sensitivity and lower BMI in adolescents, especially among the heaviest persons.

Now, after you reach for a bunch of reasons for why these studies are flawed, why don't YOU provide a study to back up your theory, that whole grains cause insulin resistance. Besides, you are the one making the outlandish theory here, if you ask anyone on the street chances are they will agree that whole grains are good for you. You are the one making the statement that is against the norm, so the burden of proof is on you.

Espio, I'm drunk right now but that study is still just a correlation and MP's comments are valid. I WILL agree with you that the burden of proof is rightfully on MPhates. I do not think grains CAUSE disease but eliminating them can be very h
helpful once problems have occurred.

abc123

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:52 am

Here's an excerpt from my original post:

Mercola concludes that over-consumption of carbohydrates in general is the cause of insulin resistance, but I think there might be more to the story. I could be wrong, but I believe that there's something about grains themselves (and not other sources of carbohydrates) which promote insulin resistance.

I never stated that grains cause insulin resistance. I said I believe they may promote insulin resistance, and I listed several health-compromising effects of grains. PUFA (whole grains only), mycotoxins, lectins are the biggest ones, off the top of my head. Obviously, there is the issue of overloading on carbohydrates. Also, grains and dairy are the most often implicated causes of faulty immune response.

abc123 might be right also in saying that grains perpetuate existing insulin resistance, but this claim is more or less consistent with mine.

Considering the fact that we live in a modern environment full of health-disrupting toxins and heavy metals, it's safe to say that everyone is insulin resistant to some degree or susceptible at least.

Espio, anyone with a basic understanding of statistics would realize that the second study you posted has the same problem as the first one. You have to account for confounding variables in virtually every epidemiological study. Adolescents who consume more whole grains as per the recommendations of the FDA might have parents who are more health-conscious, and thus make other (actually beneficial) modifications to their kids' diets. For example, parents who are going out of their way to buy whole-grain products for their kids probably also make other health-conscious decisions.

Food frequency questionnaires? Not convincing.

if you ask anyone on the street chances are they will agree that whole grains are good for you.

Standard opinions on health that you might get from "anyone on the street" are totally misguided. That's kind of the whole point of this forum.

Here's a non-epidemiological study:

Epidemiological evidence suggests that whole grain intake is associated with reduced risk of type 2 diabetes. However, studies of individual whole grains on the prevention of type 2 diabetes are lacking. The objective of the present study was to examine the effect of different whole grains on type 2 diabetes in an animal model of type 2 diabetes, the Goto–Kakisaki (GK) rat. GK rats were fed either a basal diet or a whole grain-containing diet for 5 months. Whole grain diets contained 65 % whole grain flours of wheat, barley, oats or maize. After 2 months of feeding, fasting plasma glucose concentrations were lower in the wheat, barley and oats groups, compared with the basal group, whereas glycated Hb was significantly greater in the wheat group compared with other groups. Feeding of whole barley and maize increased plasma C-peptide concentrations compared with whole wheat at 2 months. There was a trend in the improvement of insulin resistance with a consumption of barley and oats diets at 2 months (P = 0·06) compared with the basal diet. Oxidative stress markers, urinary thiobarbituric acid-reactive substances and 8-isoprostane, did not improve with whole grain intake at 2 months. At 5 months, whole grain diets did not differ from the basal diet in glycaemic control, insulin secretion, oxidative stress and preservation of pancreatic β-cell mass. These results suggest that the consumption of whole grains may offer modest benefit early in the development of type 2 diabetes, but this benefit is lost with further development of the disease.

Of course whole grains might provide some marginal benefit over refined grains, especially when the only metric used glycemia/insulinemia. This can be explained simply through the fact that whole grains take longer to break down in the GI and thus have smaller glycemic indices.

The obsession with reducing glycemia via consumption of foods lower in glycemic index is IMO a symptom-oriented way of treating diabetes. Glycemic index is just the rate at which reduced carbohydrates (sugars) enter the blood stream.

The (potential) marginal benefit of whole grains over refined grains is IMO the only reason epidemiological studies even show that there is a correlation between whole grain consumption and improvements in health markers. It's only because refined grains are so much worse.

I'm not going to get into an argument because soon people will start talking about aliens and government conspiracy theories.
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  tooyoung Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:58 pm

abc123 wrote:
Espio, I'm drunk right now but that study is still just a correlation and MP's comments are valid. I WILL agree with you that the burden of proof is rightfully on MPhates. I do not think grains CAUSE disease but eliminating them can be very h

abc - Do you drink a certain type of alcohol for health reasons? A drink more pro-hair than others?

tooyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  abc123 Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:38 am

tooyoung wrote:
abc123 wrote:

abc - Do you drink a certain type of alcohol for health reasons? A drink more pro-hair than others?

Tooyoung - No......lol.

abc123

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:29 am

I imagine wine would be better for hair and general health because it has resveratrol and other polyphenols.
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  Espio Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:15 am

mph, that study you posted conflicts with what you say, if you look at the portion that you did not highlight, it says that whole grain diet IMPROVED insulin sensitivity after 2 months. And after that it didn't help more than the basal diet of the study. Nowhere in that study you posted does it support your original claim that grains worsen insulin sensitivity.

Espio

Back to top Go down

Post  ubraj Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:04 am

FWIW, a huge issue regarding grains... processed food in most all cases contain lots of MSG/free glutamic acid hidden under a hundred different names.

Then one ends up wondering why a glutamate blocker such as low dose naltroxene and others works on all these ailments including insulin resistance.

ubraj

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:59 am

Here you go, Espio:
http://jn.nutrition.org/content/137/6/1401.full.pdf

Have a look at table 5...

Diets high in whole-grains worsen metabolic disease with respect to almost every standard metric: fasting blood glucose, fasting insulin, insulin sensitivity, etc.

Refined-grain diets actually produced slight improvements...this pretty much proves that the FDA's recommendations to increase consumption of whole-grain products is completely bogus.
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  JhonPaul Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:38 am

Both of them appear to be bald, how can you people in theories of hair from these people.....

JhonPaul

http://www.elixir.org.pk/

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:42 am

Here's a discussion of lectins as disease-causing agents:
http://www.pjbs.org/pjnonline/fin1120.pdf

Note that lectins are pervasive, and you there's no way to avoid them completely. But grains, legumes, and seeds are the most concentrated source of lectins.

Research on lectins is limited, but it seems to me like they might have a wide range of health-modulating effects.

I was mostly interested by their potential effects on intestinal health.

Among the effects observed in teh small intestine of lectin fed rodents is stirpping away of the mucous coat to expose naked mucosa and overgrowth of the mucosa by abnormal bacteria and protozoa (Banwell et al., 1988). Lectins also cause discharge of histamine from gastric mast cells (Greer and Pusztai, 1985) which stimulates acid secretion. So, the three main pathogenic factors for peptic ulcer, namely acid stimulation, failure of the mucous defense layer and abnormal bacterial proliferation (Helibacter pylori) are all theoretically linked to lectins...The mucus stripping effect of lectins (Freed and Buckley, 1978) also offers an explanation for the anecdotal finding of many allergists that a "stone age diet," which eliminates most starchy foods and therefore most lectins, protects against common upper respiratory viral infections: without lectins in the throat the nasopharyngeal mucus lining would be more effective as a barrier to viruses. Epithelial cells lining the GI tract in vivo, unlike cells in vitro, are constantly exposed to mechanical stress and consequently, frequently suffer plasma membrane disruptions (McNeil and Ito, 1989). However, cell death is not the only outcome of this type of injury: cells are capable of rapidly repairing and thereby surviving plasma membrane disruptions (NcNeil and Kirchhausen, 2005). One key step of the repair mechanism, reviewed by Steinhardt, 2005 is exocytotic. For large disruptions, this exocytotic reaction functions by adding a 'path' of intracellular membrane to plasma membrane surrounding the disruption site.

Therefore, the mechanism of lectin toxicity in vivo could be due to an inhibitory effect on the exocytosis-based constitutive membrane repair and consequent death of wounded gut epithelial cells. It has been found that those lectins that bind strongly to the cell surfaces potently inhibit repair (Miyake et al., 2007). Lectins are therefore toxic when a cell exposed to them experiences plasma membrane disruption. Since mucus secretion is evoked by membrane disruptions in mucus producing GI tract cells (MIyake et al., 2006), it therefore seems likely that lectins also block secretion of this important lubricant. It was found in cell culture studies that a lectin (WGA) potently blocked ionophore-induced mucus secretion...Thus, lectins also inhibit repair of resident gut epithelial cells and additionally, as the study showed, inhibit secretion of mucus by the cell subpopulation (goblet cells) that produces this lubricant. The mechanism of lectin inhibition of membrane repair remains unclear. Exocytosis, which is required for membrane repair (Steinhardt, 2005), is likely targeted by this class of toxin. Previous studies have shown that lectins can inhibit exocytosis (Boehm and Huck, 1998) and it has been shown that, in particular, mucin exocytosis, which is coupled to repair in the cells, is potently inhibited by lectins. MOreover, it has also been found that inhibition of repair is rapid in onset and rapidly reversed by lectin wash off...

It has been shown here that binding of cell surface glycoproteins by lectins interferes with the exocytotic events associated with membrane repair (mucus secretion) and that lectins potently block repair. Therefore, it has been proposed that a second category of disease can also be explained as a failure in the plasma membrane repair mechanism. Lectins, it is hypothesized, are toxic when present in the GI tract based on two, inter-related effects. First, resealing failure occurs within the general population of GI tract cells normally exposed to membrane disrupting levels of mechanical stress, leading to their necrosis. The second lectin-induced effect is exocytotic failure within the subpopulation of GI tract cells that normally secrete mucus, leading to a decrease in protective, lubricating mucus secretion and a consequent increase in the incidence of mechanically-induced membrane disruption events. Because lectins, based on the damage they do to the lining of the GI tract and their hypertrophic effect, have been implicated in, respectively, celiac disease (Weiser and Douglas, 1976) and cancer (Evans et al., 2002), knowledge of this mechanism may have implications beyond a better understanding of food poisoning.

There have been many discussions on this forum about how damage to the gut is one of the primary causes of disease...insulin resistance, altered immunity, psychological disorders, systemic dysbiosis etc.
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  tonyj Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:58 pm

mphatesmpb on Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:42 pm

Dietary Lectins as Disease Causing Toxicants
I found this pretty interesting.

p296, 2nd column last sentence:
"...Another suspect lectin disease is rheumatoid arthritis. ..."

Dr. Cristiano at the Columbia University Medical Center discovered that alopecia areata shared the same genes as Type 1 diabetes and RA.
tonyj
tonyj

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:16 pm

tonyj wrote:
mphatesmpb on Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:42 pm

Dietary Lectins as Disease Causing Toxicants
I found this pretty interesting.

p296, 2nd column last sentence:
"...Another suspect lectin disease is rheumatoid arthritis. ..."

Dr. Cristiano at the Columbia University Medical Center discovered that alopecia areata shared the same genes as Type 1 diabetes and RA.

I've been meaning to start reading up on the genetic component of MPB. At this point I know that in order for MPB to occur, it's necessary to acquire a gene on the X-chromosome (from your mom) that encodes particular variant of the androgen receptor. There are other genes involved in MPB, though. I imagine that genes involving inflammatory processes might also be important.

tonyj, are you in med school?
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  Espio Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:46 pm

mphatesmpb wrote:Here you go, Espio:
http://jn.nutrition.org/content/137/6/1401.full.pdf

Diets high in whole-grains worsen metabolic disease with respect to almost every standard metric: fasting blood glucose, fasting insulin, insulin sensitivity, etc.

Refined-grain diets actually produced slight improvements...this pretty much proves that the FDA's recommendations to increase consumption of whole-grain products is completely bogus.

I don't buy it.

1. That study is with a sample size of only 30 people. The two studies I posted had a sample size of 978 for the first study and 285 for the second. This study you are showing us is barely above the standard of being statistically significant.

2. That study is with overweight people who already having issues. Grains may not be for these people, they probably need a stricter diet. Notice the first study i posted, all the people in the samples had healthy insulin sensitivity.

Espio

Back to top Go down

Post  crincrin Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:02 am

A vegan diet free of gluten improves the signs and symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis

http://rheumatology.oxfordjournals.org/content/40/10/1175.short

crincrin

Back to top Go down

Post  tonyj Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:53 am

Weight and Metabolic Outcomes After 2 Years on a Low-Carbohydrate Versus Low-Fat Diet A randomized Trial.
Background: Previous studies comparing low-carbohydrate and
low-fat diets have not included a comprehensive behavioral treat-
ment, resulting in suboptimal weight loss.

Objective: To evaluate the effects of 2-year treatment with a
low-carbohydrate or low-fat diet, each of which was combined
with a comprehensive lifestyle modification program.

Conclusion: Successful weight loss can be achieved with either a
low-fat or low-carbohydrate diet when coupled with behavioral
treatment. A low-carbohydrate diet is associated with favorable
changes in cardiovascular disease risk factors at 2 years.
tonyj
tonyj

Back to top Go down

Post  JhonPaul Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:04 am

Espio wrote:
mphatesmpb wrote:Here you go, Espio:

I don't buy it.

1. That study is with a sample size of only 30 people. The two studies I posted had a sample size of 978 for the first study and 285 for the second. This study you are showing us is barely above the standard of being statistically significant.

2. That study is with overweight people who already having issues. Grains may not be for these people, they probably need a stricter diet. Notice the first study i posted, all the people in the samples had healthy insulin sensitivity.

Well a great reason as to deny and avoid buying such scam stuff....

JhonPaul

http://www.elixir.org.pk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Espio Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:47 am

tonyj wrote:Weight and Metabolic Outcomes After 2 Years on a Low-Carbohydrate Versus Low-Fat Diet A randomized Trial.
Background: Previous studies comparing low-carbohydrate and
low-fat diets have not included a comprehensive behavioral treat-
ment, resulting in suboptimal weight loss.

Objective: To evaluate the effects of 2-year treatment with a
low-carbohydrate or low-fat diet, each of which was combined
with a comprehensive lifestyle modification program.

Conclusion: Successful weight loss can be achieved with either a
low-fat or low-carbohydrate diet when coupled with behavioral
treatment. A low-carbohydrate diet is associated with favorable
changes in cardiovascular disease risk factors at 2 years.

Tonyj- I'm not arguing about the merits of the low-carb diet, it definitely has its place for SHORT-TERM weight loss and insulin sensitivity. All I am arguing is the thought that all grains are bad for you, and I am showing that there is no need to demonize the low-fat, high grain diet. In that study you posted, both diets faired well, so it doesn't conflict with what I am saying.

So yes you are right, the low-carb diet is great for weight loss, but the real danger IMO is the HORMONAL changes that it induces. Here is a quote that I just posted in the "protein=aging" thread:

Accelerated aging is also associated with or directly caused by hormone losses. The more our testosterone drops, the faster we age. High protein diets have shown time and time again to be associated with a loss of total testosterone and SHBG. Look at this study, after only 10 days the high carb diet had a much higher testosterone level than the high protein diet:

Diet-hormone interactions: Protein/carbohydrate ratio alters reciprocally the plasma levels of testosterone and cortisol and their respective binding globulins in man

Karl E. Anderson M.D., William Rosner M.D.*, M. S. Khan Ph.D.*, Maria I. New M.D.**, Songya Pang M.D.**, Paul S. Wissel M.D. and Attallah Kappas M.D.
* The Rockefeller University Hospital, New York, NY, USA
** Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, St. Lukes-Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY, USA
Revised 13 February 1987. Available online 15 November 2002.
Abstract
The aim of this study was to determine if a change in protein/carbohydrate ratio influences plasma steroid hormone concentrations. There is little information about the effects of specific dietary components on steroid hormone metabolism in humans. Testosterone concentrations in seven normal men were consistently higher after ten days on a high carbohydrate diet (468 ± 34 ng/dl, mean ± S.E.) than during a high protein diet (3.71 ± 23 ng/d1, p<0.05) and were accompanied by parallel changes in sex hormone binding globulin (32.5 ± 2.8 nmol/1 vs. 23.4 ± 1.6 nmol/1 respectively, p<0.01). By contrast, cortisol concentrations were consistently lower during the high carbohydrate diet than during the high protein diet (7.74 ± 0.71 μg/d1 vs. 10.6 ± 0.4 μg/d1 respectively, p<0.05), and there were parallel changes in corticosteroid binding globulin concentrations (635 ± 60 nmol/1 vs. 754 ± 31 nmol/1 respectively p<0.05). The diets were equal in total calories and fat. These consistent and reciprocal changes suggest that the ratio of protein to carbohydrate in the human diet is an important regulatory factor for steroid hormone plasma levels and for liver-derived hormone binding proteins.

If you don't believe this, look at the sons of wealthy people who can afford to give their sons meat and cheese with every meal. Then look at the sons of poor people who can't afford to do so, and feed their children mostly grains. Which sons grow up to have the masculine aggression, who are racist, who are lean and muscular, and age a lot slower? The ones who were raised on poor people's diets! The men who grew up on high-fat diets grow up to be passive, non-racist, overweight and un-toned, and age and bald faster.

Espio

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2