Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Sugar is a Poison - Dr Lustig EmptyToday at 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Sugar is a Poison - Dr Lustig EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Sugar is a Poison - Dr Lustig EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Sugar is a Poison - Dr Lustig EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Sugar is a Poison - Dr Lustig EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Sugar is a Poison - Dr Lustig EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Sugar is a Poison - Dr Lustig EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Sugar is a Poison - Dr Lustig EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Sugar is a Poison - Dr Lustig EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Sugar is a Poison - Dr Lustig

+17
CausticSymmetry
lambyjay
tooyoung
JohnnyG
AS54
tonyj
9rugrats5
Hoppipolla
Delphine
Paradox
MilBA
Gibson
act
Misirlou
elan164
abc123
teacup
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Sugar is a Poison - Dr Lustig Empty Sugar is a Poison - Dr Lustig

Post  teacup Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:07 am

Highly worth watching! Sugar lovers and frutarians ... are dead wrong

teacup
teacup

Back to top Go down

Sugar is a Poison - Dr Lustig Empty Re: Sugar is a Poison - Dr Lustig

Post  Guest Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:04 am

Sugar = Cancer and other diseases

I also recommend the book "SUGAR BLUES"

Back to top Go down

Post  abc123 Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:59 pm

Fail.

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

abc123

Back to top Go down

Post  elan164 Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:58 pm

Your brain needs glucose to operate. I can tell you without a doubt that when i was on a low carb "diet" my brain wasn't operating at full potential. Upped my carbs and i noticed instant results - more energy, clear thoughts, retained more from what i was reading etc. Fruit a poison haha. Isolate a compound, like fructose (pop) and then amplify it, then of course you'll have problems. So why not give your body and brain what it needs in the simplest form that is easily digestible and causes the least amount of stress on your system. From what i understand, when your body's glycogen stores are depleted it will look wherever it can to find a fuel source. Starches, sugars, fats, proteins can all be broken down in to a usable energy source for your body, but why exert more energy than what is needed? Maybe i'm confused.

http://www.acnp.org/g4/gn401000064/ch064.html

Although the brain represents only 2% of the body weight, it receives 15% of the cardiac output, 20% of total body oxygen consumption, and 25% of total body glucose utilization. With a global blood flow of 57 ml/100 g·min, the brain extracts approximately 50% of oxygen and 10% of glucose from the arterial blood. Hence, the glucose utilization of the brain, as assessed by measuring the arterial–venous difference (22), is 31 mmol/100 g·min. Oxygen consumption is 160 mmol/100 g·min; because CO2 production is almost identical, the respiratory quotient (RQ) of the brain is nearly 1, indicating that carbohydrates are the substrates for oxidative metabolism (60). Given a theoretical stoichiometry of 6 mmol of oxygen consumed for each mmole of glucose, glucose utilization by the brain should in theory be 26.6 mmol/100 g·min. As indicated earlier, the measured glucose utilization is 31 mmol/100 g·min, indicating that an excess of 4.4 mmol/100 g·min of glucose follows other metabolic fates. Glucose can produce metabolic intermediates, such as lactate and pyruvate, which do not enter necessarily in the tricarboxylic acid cycle but rather can be released and removed by the circulation. Glucose can be incorporated into lipids, proteins, and glycogen, and it is also the precursor of certain neurotransmitters such as g-aminobutyric acid (GABA), glutamate, and acetylcholine (10, 60).

Numerous studies have been performed to identify molecules that could substitute for glucose as an alternative substrate for brain energy metabolism. Among the vast array of molecules tested, mannose is the only one that can sustain normal brain function in the absence of glucose (59). Mannose crosses the blood–brain barrier and in two enzymatic steps is converted to fructose-6-phosphate, a physiological intermediate of the glycolytic pathway. However, mannose is not normally present in the blood and cannot therefore be considered a physiological substrate for brain energy metabolism. Lactate and pyruvate can sustain synaptic activity in vitro (36, 55). Because of their limited permeability across the blood–brain barrier, they cannot substitute for plasma glucose to maintain brain function (43). However, if formed inside the brain parenchyma, they are useful metabolic substrates for neural cells (66). Under particular conditions, such as starvation, diabetes, or in breast-fed neonates, plasma levels of the ketone bodies acetoacetate and D-3-hydroxybutyrate increase markedly (41). Under these conditions, acetoacetate and D-3-hydroxybutyrate can be used by the brain as metabolic substrates (41).

elan164

Back to top Go down

Post  Misirlou Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:17 pm

It would be interesting to get CS opinion on this and then compare it to all those comments posted over at Alan Aragon article. For example, this "Frank" guy seems to back up Aragon and attacking Lustig. At the same time he (Frank) claims aspartame is perfectly safe in moderate doses, something I think CS disagree with?

Ahhh, this is complicated.

Misirlou

Back to top Go down

Post  Misirlou Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:26 pm

After reading like every single comment made, it seems as if these guys (Alan side vs Lustig side) really don't are too far away from each other after all. It is hilarious to read the funny comments from "health groupies", but these comedians are only making the debate less clear IMHO.

Alan summarizes:
“The big picture solution is in managing total caloric balance with a predominance of minimally refined foods and sufficient physical activity.”
I think I can buy this.

Any thoughts about this James Krieger guy? He seems pretty accurate.

Misirlou

Back to top Go down

Post  act<react Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:46 pm

I don't get the fatalist, extremist views on diet, everything in its right ratio's depending on the individual ... we all need certain simple sugars, sometimes more than others, sometimes not at all. I myself am a big advocate of a health fat / protien diet as I feel it works best for my strength, mind, sexual vigor, everything, but sometimes I need an apple or a sweet potato. Simple as that.

I agree also that you can't watch that video and dismiss all sugars, just not logical.

"You owe the companies nothing. You especially don't owe them any courtesy. They have re-arranged the world to put themselves in front of you. They never asked for your permission, don't even start asking for theirs."

- Banksy
act<react
act<react

Back to top Go down

Post  Gibson Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:11 pm

It's might be worth pointing out that the suit he is wearing is sized very, very large, essentially a fat man's suit. Either he is a body builder who aims for mass then wears loose fitting clothes to hide his gains, or somewhat obese himself. I would wager without hesitation the later.

Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post  abc123 Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:39 pm

act<react wrote:I don't get the fatalist, extremist views on diet, everything in its right ratio's depending on the individual ... we all need certain simple sugars, sometimes more than others, sometimes not at all. I myself am a big advocate of a health fat / protien diet as I feel it works best for my strength, mind, sexual vigor, everything, but sometimes I need an apple or a sweet potato. Simple as that.

I agree also that you can't watch that video and dismiss all sugars, just not logical.

Yep exactly.

People tend to create false dichotomies when it comes to food/nutrients/anything really. Finding the optimal amount is key.

abc123

Back to top Go down

Post  MilBA Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:27 am

Good lecture, I've seen it before and agree with many of his points.

To elan's point --in the video he attacks fructose, but not glucose. I've heard him say in an interview that he doesn't think low carb diets are necessarily the way to optimal health.

I also remember him saying that fructose is only a "poison" at high levels. He also noted that there is no problem with fruit because of the natural fiber included. The real problems according to Dr Lustig are fruit juices, soda, HFCS, etc.

MilBA

Back to top Go down

Post  act<react Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:06 am

abc - totally agree, one has to find what works for them, I mean how many times have you seen in your life or others direct experience that contradicts conventional wisdom or scientific knowledge? One would never know until they tried.

In saying that, I think threads that focus on the thousand or so factors that make a body incapable of handling a little itty bit of sugar would be much more beneficial. If sugar was truly such a poison that caused all of these issues, every sugar consumer would be sick. This is not the case, there are other things at work that should get more attention.

"You owe the companies nothing. You especially don't owe them any courtesy. They have re-arranged the world to put themselves in front of you. They never asked for your permission, don't even start asking for theirs."

- Banksy
act<react
act<react

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:37 am

abc123 wrote:
actI don't get the fatalist, extremist views on diet, everything in its right ratio's depending on the individual ... we all need certain simple sugars, sometimes more than others, sometimes not at all. I myself am a big advocate of a health fat / protien diet as I feel it works best for my strength, mind, sexual vigor, everything, but sometimes I need an apple or a sweet potato. Simple as that.

Yep exactly.

People tend to create false dichotomies when it comes to food/nutrients/anything really. Finding the optimal amount is key.

Exactly.... From a dualistic standpoint we want to label everything good or bad when those are just concepts we come up with. I see this going on with a lot of subjects here- vitamin D for example. Nature doesn't make mistakes. If something exists, it serves a purpose or is 'beneficial' in one way or another.

That saying "everything in moderation" exists because there is truth in it.

Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Delphine Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:42 pm

In-depth article on this:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magazine/mag-17Sugar-t.html?_r=2&ref=sugar
Delphine
Delphine

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoppipolla Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:08 pm

I'll go tell the monkeys Very Happy
Hoppipolla
Hoppipolla

http://www.hoppimike.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Delphine Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:22 pm

We've been over this - monkeys/chimps don't live by fruit alone...
and they don't drink OJ Very Happy
Delphine
Delphine

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoppipolla Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:23 pm

Delphine wrote:We've been over this - monkeys/chimps don't live by fruit alone...
and they don't drink OJ Very Happy

Does ANYONE live by fruit alone? (well, I'm aware some people do but they are a tiny minority!)
Hoppipolla
Hoppipolla

http://www.hoppimike.com

Back to top Go down

Post  9rugrats5 Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:44 am

Delphine wrote:
In-depth article on this:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magazine/mag-17Sugar-t.html?_r=2&ref=sugar

A well written and researched article. As he says, research is still ongoing on what comprises the right amount of sugar intake.

From the article, emphasis mine-
"Feed animals enough pure fructose or enough sugar, and their livers convert the fructose into fat — the saturated fatty acid, palmitate, to be precise, that supposedly gives us heart disease when we eat it, by raising LDL cholesterol. The fat accumulates in the liver, and insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome follow."

From wikipedia-
As its name (palmitic acid) indicates, it is a major component of the oil from palm trees (palm oil, palm kernel oil, and coconut oil). Palmitate is a term for the salts and esters of palmitic acid."

In this light, could Coconut Oil oil cause fatty liver?
9rugrats5
9rugrats5

Back to top Go down

Post  tonyj Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:40 am

Didn't know this fact, just reviewing the data on Alan Aragon's website from the RDA (ERS) on HFCS and Corn Sweetners:

Average daily per capita calories from the U.S. food availability.
HFCS
1970 1.8
1999 214.6
2009 168.8

and Corn Sweetners
1970 53.6
1999 281.4
2009 221.6

Refined Cane and Beet sugars
didn't change from 1970 to 2009 214.3

Glucose, and Honey and added sugars didn't change very much either.
tonyj
tonyj

Back to top Go down

Post  Delphine Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:13 pm

Stephan Guyenet at Whole Health Source comments on this article from Ray Peat:
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/glycemia.shtml

I read Peat's article. He's correct that the glycemic index isn't worth much. He's also correct that simply making the pancreas work is not behind insulin resistance. But he totally ignores the large body of evidence that fructose causes long-term insulin resistance, and starch doesn't. In fact, he barely mentions fructose.

If sugar is as harmless as he says, that implies that the diseases of civilization that Price and others saw were entirely due to white flour and/or micronutrient deficiency. Many of these cultures were not eating significant PUFA and they still got sick. The Tokelauans, for example, were at 3% PUFA when their diabetes skyrocketed following the introduction of sugar and white flour.

There is definitely an interplay between sugar and PUFA though. The combination of the two is the worst. Feeding rodents one or the other isn't as bad as combining them, and that's probably true for humans as well.

The other point is that humans don't absorb big fructose loads efficiently. It sits in the small intestine and gets fermented by bacteria, leading to nasty digestive consequences. You can observe this by measuring breath hydrogen, a product of bacterial metabolism. 25g fructose is enough to cause malabsorption in about 50% of people. That's two apples (eaten at once) or one can of soda.
Delphine
Delphine

Back to top Go down

Post  abc123 Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:46 pm

Delphine wrote:

I read Peat's article. He's correct that the glycemic index isn't worth much. He's also correct that simply making the pancreas work is not behind insulin resistance. But he totally ignores the large body of evidence that fructose causes long-term insulin resistance, and starch doesn't. In fact, he barely mentions fructose.

If sugar is as harmless as he says, that implies that the diseases of civilization that Price and others saw were entirely due to white flour and/or micronutrient deficiency. Many of these cultures were not eating significant PUFA and they still got sick. The Tokelauans, for example, were at 3% PUFA when their diabetes skyrocketed following the introduction of sugar and white flour.

There is definitely an interplay between sugar and PUFA though. The combination of the two is the worst. Feeding rodents one or the other isn't as bad as combining them, and that's probably true for humans as well.

The other point is that humans don't absorb big fructose loads efficiently. It sits in the small intestine and gets fermented by bacteria, leading to nasty digestive consequences. You can observe this by measuring breath hydrogen, a product of bacterial metabolism. 25g fructose is enough to cause malabsorption in about 50% of people. That's two apples (eaten at once) or one can of soda.

That comment was from a long time ago and there is a lot wrong with it. Regardless, if you read his newest article he basically says sugar is fine and in most cases promotes weight loss more than starch.

I think his food palatability theories are interesting.

abc123

Back to top Go down

Post  abc123 Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:56 pm

Even though this is a tangent, I would hang my hat on white flour being the cause of the disease of civilization.

Gut permeability
Messes up calcium:phosphate ratio
Pure Glucose < Sucrose
Void of micronutrients

abc123

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:08 pm

Abc,

With regard to the lecture in the video, what do you think of his stance on fructose? I've seen you post a lot about fructose so I wanted to get your PO. If the way fructose is metabolized is presented correctly, then wouldn't a diet high in fructose have to also be devoid of fat in order to not produce insulin resistance, being that fructose (or a large percentage of it) is converted to fat? So in that regard, why wouldn't consuming things that are entirely glucose be more beneficial? ( Things like potato, rice, or dextrose)
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  abc123 Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:21 pm

anthonyspencer54 wrote:Abc,

With regard to the lecture in the video, what do you think of his stance on fructose? I've seen you post a lot about fructose so I wanted to get your PO. If the way fructose is metabolized is presented correctly, then wouldn't a diet high in fructose have to also be devoid of fat in order to not produce insulin resistance, being that fructose (or a large percentage of it) is converted to fat? So in that regard, why wouldn't consuming things that are entirely glucose be more beneficial? ( Things like potato, rice, or dextrose)

I hope PO doesn't stand for Professional Opinion - LOL

1. Sucrose has consitently been shown to be better than glucose/starch. It's not even a contest when it's in fruit.
2. Fructose does not get turned to fat easily, it depends on many things.
3. You dont have to eat low fat to eat fructose.

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/
http://weightology.net/?p=434

abc123

Back to top Go down

Post  Delphine Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:03 pm

Delphine wrote:

abc123 wrote:That comment was from a long time ago and there is a lot wrong with it. Regardless, if you read his newest article he basically says sugar is fine and in most cases promotes weight loss more than starch.

Where's that article?

Maybe you missed his latest post, where he specifically comes down on sugary sodas:
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2012/02/soda-free-sunday.html

Delphine
Delphine

Back to top Go down

Post  abc123 Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:13 pm

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2012/02/is-sugar-fattening.html#more

Yes he says sugar sweetened beverages are bad for health - not because sugar is inherently fattening or bad, but because of his palatability food theory. This has to do with over eating.

abc123

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next