Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Medical Coder During C0NV!D
OT: The ethics of the exclusion diet, ie the Paleolithic Diet, on a worldwide scale EmptyYesterday at 4:00 pm by CausticSymmetry

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
OT: The ethics of the exclusion diet, ie the Paleolithic Diet, on a worldwide scale EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 12:44 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Potential Natural Products Regulation of Molecular Signaling Pathway in Dermal Papilla Stem Cells
OT: The ethics of the exclusion diet, ie the Paleolithic Diet, on a worldwide scale EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 7:44 am by CausticSymmetry

» Breast Biopsy
OT: The ethics of the exclusion diet, ie the Paleolithic Diet, on a worldwide scale EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 2:23 am by shaftless

» Sorry if brought up before but: Best topical to help aid in breaking up fibrosis?
OT: The ethics of the exclusion diet, ie the Paleolithic Diet, on a worldwide scale EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:51 am by Hoppipolla

» solar eclipse on april 8
OT: The ethics of the exclusion diet, ie the Paleolithic Diet, on a worldwide scale EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 4:04 am by shaftless

» Role and Mechanisms of Phytochemicals in Hair Growth and Health
OT: The ethics of the exclusion diet, ie the Paleolithic Diet, on a worldwide scale EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 4:20 am by CausticSymmetry

» IH Regimen
OT: The ethics of the exclusion diet, ie the Paleolithic Diet, on a worldwide scale EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 4:25 pm by CF

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
OT: The ethics of the exclusion diet, ie the Paleolithic Diet, on a worldwide scale EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 11:16 am by MikeGore

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

OT: The ethics of the exclusion diet, ie the Paleolithic Diet, on a worldwide scale

+4
tonyj
abc123
phoenix21
empty
8 posters

Go down

OT: The ethics of the exclusion diet, ie the Paleolithic Diet, on a worldwide scale Empty OT: The ethics of the exclusion diet, ie the Paleolithic Diet, on a worldwide scale

Post  empty Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:30 pm

While reading a bit about the Paleolithic Diet, which is where my diet is currently heading, I noticed this tiny afterthought in the diet's Wikipedia article. I'll quote it so you don't have to follow links:

The Paleolithic diet has been criticized on the grounds that it cannot be implemented on a worldwide scale.[24][25][156] According to Loren Cordain, if such a diet was widely adopted, it would compromise the food security of populations dependent on cereal grains for their subsistence. However, he says that where cereals are not a necessity, as in most western countries, reverting to a grain-free diet can be highly practical in terms of cutting long-term health care costs.[157] Barry Bogin, a professor of anthropology at the University of Michigan, states that less intensive farming techniques, such as pasture-grazed cattle, will not produce sufficient meat to feed the world’s population.[158] On another level, critics have argued that exclusion diets such as the Stone Age diet "can be highly restrictive, socially disruptive, and expensive."[21][15]

I know we have our own issues to deal with; we have good reasons to eat better. Eating as our ancestors did will, according to certain researchers, lead to great gains in overall health. But at what cost? If conclusive evidence seals the fate for grains as "unhealthy," these crops may just lose their value and get pushed aside for less efficient agriculture that produces at a lower output. Yes, we'd (possibly) be healthier, but how are we going to feed billions of people in the future while we use valuable land to produce food less efficiently?

Note: my projections are based on purely hypothetical situations, although it is not possible to dissolve the ethical implications of the food we eat.

empty

Back to top Go down

OT: The ethics of the exclusion diet, ie the Paleolithic Diet, on a worldwide scale Empty Re: OT: The ethics of the exclusion diet, ie the Paleolithic Diet, on a worldwide scale

Post  phoenix21 Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:42 pm

Have thought about this problem many times, not specifically in relation to the paleolithic diet, but just having the majority of the population in general eating a 'somewhat' healthy diet seems very difficult.

But Imagine if everyone were eating grass fed meat, non gmo, organic produce etc., etc. I just dont think it would be possible where the population is at right now to produce those things on a large enough scale.

phoenix21

Back to top Go down

OT: The ethics of the exclusion diet, ie the Paleolithic Diet, on a worldwide scale Empty Re: OT: The ethics of the exclusion diet, ie the Paleolithic Diet, on a worldwide scale

Post  abc123 Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:09 pm

empty wrote:While reading a bit about the Paleolithic Diet, which is where my diet is currently heading, I noticed this tiny afterthought in the diet's Wikipedia article. I'll quote it so you don't have to follow links:

The Paleolithic diet has been criticized on the grounds that it cannot be implemented on a worldwide scale.[24][25][156] According to Loren Cordain, if such a diet was widely adopted, it would compromise the food security of populations dependent on cereal grains for their subsistence. However, he says that where cereals are not a necessity, as in most western countries, reverting to a grain-free diet can be highly practical in terms of cutting long-term health care costs.[157] Barry Bogin, a professor of anthropology at the University of Michigan, states that less intensive farming techniques, such as pasture-grazed cattle, will not produce sufficient meat to feed the world’s population.[158] On another level, critics have argued that exclusion diets such as the Stone Age diet "can be highly restrictive, socially disruptive, and expensive."[21][15]

I know we have our own issues to deal with; we have good reasons to eat better. Eating as our ancestors did will, according to certain researchers, lead to great gains in overall health. But at what cost? If conclusive evidence seals the fate for grains as "unhealthy," these crops may just lose their value and get pushed aside for less efficient agriculture that produces at a lower output. Yes, we'd (possibly) be healthier, but how are we going to feed billions of people in the future while we use valuable land to produce food less efficiently?

Note: my projections are based on purely hypothetical situations, although it is not possible to dissolve the ethical implications of the food we eat.

1. Only western countries eat terribly (primarily America) so this is not a world wide problem.
2. It's a matter of economics, if people are willing to keep buying paleo foods the price will eventually drop. This will never happen as 90% of people I have spoken to would rather eat their comfort foods in return for 20years of their life.
3. Diets are going to be irrelevant within the next 20years because of nanotechnology. I personally hate the idea but I can definitely see it happening.

abc123

Back to top Go down

Post  empty Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:03 pm

abc123 wrote:
empty wrote:While reading a bit about the Paleolithic Diet, which is where my diet is currently heading, I noticed this tiny afterthought in the diet's Wikipedia article. I'll quote it so you don't have to follow links:

1. Only western countries eat terribly (primarily America) so this is not a world wide problem.
2. It's a matter of economics, if people are willing to keep buying paleo foods the price will eventually drop. This will never happen as 90% of people I have spoken to would rather eat their comfort foods in return for 20years of their life.
3. Diets are going to be irrelevant within the next 20years because of nanotechnology. I personally hate the idea but I can definitely see it happening.

1. It is certainly a worldwide problem. We can barely even feed the world's population right now using processes that are far more efficient and space-conserving than what would be used in order to eat "healthy."
2. From what I've read, which unfortunately isn't a whole lot, it takes far more space and costs more money to create "healthier" food. For example, as quoted above, pasture-grazed cattle. We might be able to feed ourselves, but it would take much more resources to feed an equivalent amount of people fed by more intensive techniques. Not to mention, if we have a lower yield, I'd bet that there'd be far less distribution as well.
3. Sounds awesome. Smile

empty

Back to top Go down

Post  empty Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:04 pm

Note that for #1, we can't feed much of the world right now particularly due to distribution. Rising costs and lower efficiencies will not help distribution in any way.

empty

Back to top Go down

Post  tonyj Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:14 pm

Hmmm, Argentina leads the world in beef consumption and yet have enough to export $5 billion a year to American markets and fast food industries. I wonder how they do it.
tonyj
tonyj

Back to top Go down

Post  teacup Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:12 am

I think all food needs to be locally produced, population will have to be adjusted in accordance to the abundance of food not the reverse. But, economy and profit rule over common sense and sustainability.
teacup
teacup

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrea Curtis Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:40 pm

I agree that this is not a world wide problem considering that a few countries most specifically the western ones are those that eat terribly. Paleo foods are more often than not a bit expensive. And personally, i'd rather eat my comfort foods such as chips, ice cream and sodas. Very Happy

Andrea Curtis

Back to top Go down

Post  granger451 Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:21 am

abc123 wrote:

1. Not sure. For some reason i don't see much of asia thriving on a paleo diet. Maybe it speaks to CS point about diets being somewhat individualized.
2. The opposite would happen as demand would push prices higher. Also current companies are incentivized for mass production and not health. Healthy farming practices aren't efficient and if adopted per unit costs would increase.
3. Ive thought about this also a la ray kurzweil. I think nanotechnology is going to be very similar to a hair loss cure where its just around the corner "x" time away where x keeps getting pushed further. We should be driving electric cars and living in solar powered homes long ago. However, in reality technology doesn't materialize as fast as imagination.
granger451
granger451

Back to top Go down

Post  Red beard Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:15 am

The paleo diet is irrelevant to the worlds health concerns. There are literally billions thriving on a diet high in grains, legumes, dairy and the other staples that the paleo diet deems as "neolithic agents of disease".

Now as far as not being able to feed the world. This may certainly be true and if everyone practiced sustainability then the world wouldnt be in this mess in the first place. But we are, and thats the world we live in.

Red beard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down