Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Declining Results After two years of supplement use and dropping the drugs - Page 4 EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Declining Results After two years of supplement use and dropping the drugs - Page 4 EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Declining Results After two years of supplement use and dropping the drugs - Page 4 EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Declining Results After two years of supplement use and dropping the drugs - Page 4 EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Declining Results After two years of supplement use and dropping the drugs - Page 4 EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Declining Results After two years of supplement use and dropping the drugs - Page 4 EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Declining Results After two years of supplement use and dropping the drugs - Page 4 EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Declining Results After two years of supplement use and dropping the drugs - Page 4 EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Declining Results After two years of supplement use and dropping the drugs - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Declining Results After two years of supplement use and dropping the drugs

+19
Paradox
cassanova
elan164
phoenix21
lawlaz
LA-Night
baller234
FireFist
MAO
tooyoung
NewReg
The Natural
scottyc33
fumanchu
blackjack
ubraj
catcat
thissucks
HairSeeker
23 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Declining Results After two years of supplement use and dropping the drugs - Page 4 Empty Re: Declining Results After two years of supplement use and dropping the drugs

Post  FireFist Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:18 am

How does one know if he has a severe Gluten sensitivity?

I have had braces a long time ago, with no specific problems...

there is still a tiny piece of them attached to the back of my lower teeth, where its impossible to see, and to be honest with you guys, i even forgot they were there.
seriously, its been over 3-5 years since i last saw them in my mouth or thought about them.

does it worth being removed? is it toxic?
FireFist
FireFist

Back to top Go down

Declining Results After two years of supplement use and dropping the drugs - Page 4 Empty Re: Declining Results After two years of supplement use and dropping the drugs

Post  baller234 Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:15 am

HairSeeker wrote:
baller234 wrote:Hair seeker, if you had success with propecia I'd recommend trying soy isoflavones. Genistein and daidzein also inhibit 5 alpha reductase and they mildly inhibit enzymes responsible for testosterone and androstenedione. They also downregulate androgen receptors, displace estradiol from SHBG, and increase beneficial estradiol metabolites. What's more if you have the right gut flora you can make equol. So if androgens are the main cause for your hair loss, soy isoflavones will slow it down at the very least.

Baller, 234, thanks for the advice. Do you recommend any brand in particular? What about dosage? I plan to continue taking Propecia. Will these supplements interfere in any way, or would they enhance the results?

By far the best soy isoflavone supplement I've ever used is this one http://www.iherb.com/Life-Extension-Soy-Isoflavones-60-Capsules/4869?at=0. In addition to isoflavones it also contains natto, a fermented soy food that is rich in probiotics which will help you produce equol.

I take one in morning and one at night with food as per instructions. As for taking it with propecia, it will probably only help however there may be a slim chance you could inhibt 5 alpha reductase too much and have reflex hyperandrogenicy (sp?).

baller234

Back to top Go down

Post  baller234 Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:34 am

Actually I think soy would only make finasteride more effective because it would displace estradiol from SHBG (Mistere has provided a study showing that estradiol bound to SHBG is capable of activating the androgen receptor in the prostate) and promote it's metabolism into the non-inflammatory "good" metabolites which are very hair friendly (much like DIM).

I believe that estradiol and the bad 16 hydroxy metabolites make DHT and other androgens more potent. I think this why people can be fat and have manboobs and yet still be going bald despite the high level of estrogen. If you think about it, without estradiol or with too much estradiol, you won't be able to get an erection so there is definitely a connection between estradiol and androgen sensitivity. I honestly think that a lack of beneficial estradiol metabolits is the cause of MPB. The reason some people respond well to finasteride and others don't could POSSIBLY depend upon how their liver metabolizes the extra estradiol.

baller234

Back to top Go down

Post  HairSeeker Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:05 am

baller234 wrote:Actually I think soy would only make finasteride more effective because it would displace estradiol from SHBG (Mistere has provided a study showing that estradiol bound to SHBG is capable of activating the androgen receptor in the prostate) and promote it's metabolism into the non-inflammatory "good" metabolites which are very hair friendly (much like DIM).

I believe that estradiol and the bad 16 hydroxy metabolites make DHT and other androgens more potent. I think this why people can be fat and have manboobs and yet still be going bald despite the high level of estrogen. If you think about it, without estradiol or with too much estradiol, you won't be able to get an erection so there is definitely a connection between estradiol and androgen sensitivity. I honestly think that a lack of beneficial estradiol metabolits is the cause of MPB. The reason some people respond well to finasteride and others don't could POSSIBLY depend upon how their liver metabolizes the extra estradiol.

I've had my estrogen checked over the course of two years and it's remained on the high end of the scale. I guess the key is not the level but the type?

It sounds like adding isoflavones may help. I'll give it a try. I'm glad you mentioned the liver's involvement in estradiol metabolism.

I have suspected that my over indulgence in alcohol over the years has affected my liver. Of course my family doctor ran all the tests and everything falls within "normal" levels, but I just don't buy it. I can tell when my body is normal and it's been out of balance for over three years now. Propeica's effectiveness started to diminish right around the time I started to notice health related symptoms.

Thanks again for the help and advice!!

HairSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post  baller234 Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:11 am

Alcohol increases aromatase in the liver, however it increases the 16 hydroxy estrogens. Some ways/things to increase the hair beneficial 2 hydroxy estrogens include: phytoestrogens, I3C/DIM (this also a good supplement to use with Fin however less is more), Omega 3s, low fat diet.

Keep in mind all this is just from my research and observations. Your personal body chemistry could react very negatively to Finasteride and soy supplementation so consult with the your perscribing doctor about using soy isoflavones in conjunction with finasteride.

baller234

Back to top Go down

Post  HairSeeker Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:15 am

baller234 wrote:
HairSeeker wrote:
baller234 wrote:Hair seeker, if you had success with propecia I'd recommend trying soy isoflavones. Genistein and daidzein also inhibit 5 alpha reductase and they mildly inhibit enzymes responsible for testosterone and androstenedione. They also downregulate androgen receptors, displace estradiol from SHBG, and increase beneficial estradiol metabolites. What's more if you have the right gut flora you can make equol. So if androgens are the main cause for your hair loss, soy isoflavones will slow it down at the very least.

Baller, 234, thanks for the advice. Do you recommend any brand in particular? What about dosage? I plan to continue taking Propecia. Will these supplements interfere in any way, or would they enhance the results?

By far the best soy isoflavone supplement I've ever used is this one http://www.iherb.com/Life-Extension-Soy-Isoflavones-60-Capsules/4869?at=0. In addition to isoflavones it also contains natto, a fermented soy food that is rich in probiotics which will help you produce equol.

I take one in morning and one at night with food as per instructions. As for taking it with propecia, it will probably only help however there may be a slim chance you could inhibt 5 alpha reductase too much and have reflex hyperandrogenicy (sp?).

I’ve wondered if we develop reflex hyperandrogenicity after years of 5ar II suppression. This would explain the diminished results after many years of use and why hair loss increases in some men after stopping the drug. Perhaps our body over regulates and becomes a bit too sensitive, we then stop the drug and experience an accelerated loss. I suspect that this has been my case. So, it looks like I have no choice but to continue using. Man, I feel like a drug addict, lol.

HairSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post  HairSeeker Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:49 am

fumanchu wrote:Taking those drugs just isn't worth the hair, IMO. The problems associated with them is quite alarming. It just isn't a good route to travel if you really care about your overall health.

The best you can do is wait for Histogen, Follica, etc... to come to market. It'll seem like an eternity granted you care so much about your scalp being covered with something, but these methods have proven to create regrowth and are coming closer to being available to us. Even if it doesn't end up being better than propecia, you can bet your bottom dollar it'll come pretty close to being just as good without side effects.

For the time being, I suggest you invest in a quality hair piece. I don't believe it when people say somebody will always tell you're wearing one. A good wig must do the job. Though, it must be such bullshit maintenance I can't even imagine.

I wish hair wasn't that important to me. My life would be much happier and stress free, but unfortunately it's important. Histogen looks very promising but it's not going to be available in the US market until 2015. If I continue to lose hair at my rate I will be bald by then.

I wig? I'm not there yet. Still have full coverage, but it's getting thinner by the day. The drugs may have side effects, but they were affective in my case. My mistake was stopping.

HairSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post  HairSeeker Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:06 am

baller234 wrote:Alcohol increases aromatase in the liver, however it increases the 16 hydroxy estrogens. Some ways/things to increase the hair beneficial 2 hydroxy estrogens include: phytoestrogens, I3C/DIM (this also a good supplement to use with Fin however less is more), Omega 3s, low fat diet.

Keep in mind all this is just from my research and observations. Your personal body chemistry could react very negatively to Finasteride and soy supplementation so consult with the your perscribing doctor about using soy isoflavones in conjunction with finasteride.

My prescribing doctor has no clue when it comes to supplements and nutrition. Thanks for the warning. I plan to start slow and check for increased hair loss.

HairSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post  NewReg Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:40 pm

I appreciate everyone's thoughts, but I must say that we sound like a bunch of UFO hunters sometimes. Sometimes I wonder if we just can't handle the truth about our hair loss and use these studies and newly found regiments as mere hope. I say that because I've tried just about everything this forum has to offer (see earlier post) and every time I come back saying that it's not working, I get "YES, but have you tried ________ ?"

I mean, I get it, we're all experimenting with different things, but will anyone here admit to just a little bit of denial or wishful thinking? One person says supplementing with Vitamin D is the key, the next says it's one of the worst things you can do. One person says it's LLLT and the next says there hair is falling out because of it. Hypothyroidism, liver toxicity, candida, inflammation, calcification...they're all touted as the pathogens to hair loss, and yet, as I try the different remedies, I see no improvement. Now I'm undermineralyzed?

I did every blood test under the sun earlier this year with a holistic M.D. that practices orthomolecular medicine and the only things out of range were a heightened amount of testosterone (for my age), high iron, barely high mercury, and elevated barium. Everything else was within range. Much healthier than many I people know. Yet, I'm 35 and a borderline NW4.

Now, I'm not trying to discourage anyone, and I love the sharing of info. I also understand and appreciate the process here and the overall multifaceted approach to health, but consider this: While hugely unpopular and potentially dangerous, I took one 1mg pill for eight years that helped me to maintain my hair very well by targeting DHT. Yet, now I'm told that DHT isn't the real problem...it's all these other things (see above and many more). So I spend about $150 a month in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, clays and shampoos (not to mention my $500 laser helmet) and my diffusion keeps increasing and my hair line keeps receding. If the earlier wasn't the problem, why did the prescribed remedy work? And if the latter is the problem, why don't the prescribed remedies work? Food for thought anyway.

NewReg

Back to top Go down

Post  baller234 Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:24 pm

I have to agree with you. I've tried alot of the supplements on here and a lot of them made my loss worse due to increase testosterone production. For the vast majority of us (especially the young!!), androgens are the driving force behind hair loss. IMO the only real cure for androgen driven hair loss is estrogen. I think Finasteride only works because it increases the aromatization of testosterone to estrogen. If an aromatase inhibitor is taken along with Fin, there will be a sharp increase in testosterone which, contraty to populary belief around here is also damaging to hair albeit less so than DHT.

baller234

Back to top Go down

Post  Quisque Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:48 pm

IMO the only real cure for androgen driven hair loss is estrogen.

I'd say in this case it's a lot about low SHBG. Women have much higher SHBG level than men due to higher estrogen. So maybe some fermented soy food is worth a shot (equol-B12-probiotic-enzymes).

Quisque

Back to top Go down

Post  The Natural Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:40 pm

baller,

The more that you learn about this hair loss fight, the more that you will understand that it should not be about trying to inhibit DHT per se, especially internally. Testosterone is good. Supplements (e.g. tocotrienols, vitamin D) which facilitate/increase the production of testosterone are beneficial, not harmful, to our hair. Estrogen is bad. And soy isoflavones won't do a thing for your hair loss, but make it worse.

IH spent a good deal of time, explaining the roles of estrogen and testosterone, and how they relate to hair loss. You do well to look this material up.

The Natural

Back to top Go down

Post  Maup Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:38 am

[quote]And soy isoflavones won't do a thing for your hair loss, but make it worse[quote]

Why would it be bad for hair? From what i understood its good especialy in combination with EGCG

Maup

Back to top Go down

Post  baller234 Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:00 am

The Natural wrote:baller,

The more that you learn about this hair loss fight, the more that you will understand that it should not be about trying to inhibit DHT per se, especially internally. Testosterone is good. Supplements (e.g. tocotrienols, vitamin D) which facilitate/increase the production of testosterone are beneficial, not harmful, to our hair. Estrogen is bad. And soy isoflavones won't do a thing for your hair loss, but make it worse.

IH spent a good deal of time, explaining the roles of estrogen and testosterone, and how they relate to hair loss. You do well to look this material up.

I've learned quite a lot in the past 3 years about hair loss. Testosterone itself IS NOT GOOD FOR THE HAIR FOLLICLE. A very well informed poster over at HLH has posted studies showing that testosterone alone (this means it didn't convert to DHT first) caused human scalp hair follicles to atrophy. Estrogen can be good and bad, it depends on the quantity and the type. The 2hydroxy estradiol/estrone metabolites and estriol are BENEFICIAL to hair without question. I believe that SHBG bound estradiol and the 16hydroxy metabolites of estrone and estradiol may cause DHT and other androgens to be more potent. For you to lump all estrogens together and say they are bad is rather ignorant.

Soy isoflavones will NOT make your hair loss worse. They are highly beneficial for MPB because they 1. inhibit 5 alpha reductase 2. downregulate the androgen receptor 3. displace estradiol from SHBG 4. encourage and enhance the metabolism of estrogen in the liver to the beneficial metabolites stated above.

An American herb company has actually applied for a patent to use Soy isoflavones as a treatment for MPB. http://www.stophairlossnow.co.uk/Soy_Extract.htm

The whole reason this forum thinks estrogen is bad is because estradiol worsens insulin sensitivity. This is not the case with estroil or the 2 hydroxy metabolites. In fact estriol has been shown to increase insulin sensitivity which is probably one reason why it becomes the dominant female hormone during pregnancy.

The Natural, if you're convicned that all estrogen is bad for hair and testosterone is good, why don't you try taking letrozole? Letrozole eliminates something like 99% of all estrogen from the male body and increases LH by 400% (which will send your testosterone through the roof)if I remember correctly. I took this drug briefly when I was 17 to get rid of some mild gynecomastia left over from puberty. Care to guess what happened to my hair? If things were as clear cut and simple as you imply I would not be posting on this forum.

baller234

Back to top Go down

Post  baller234 Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:07 am

[quote="Maup"][quote]And soy isoflavones won't do a thing for your hair loss, but make it worse

Why would it be bad for hair? From what i understood its good especialy in combination with EGCG

They're not bad for hair. Soy along with a whole food diet is why Asians traditionally don't bald until late in life. Also if you're going to use EGCG along with soy isoflavones I would suggest only drinking green tea as taking large amounts of EGCG via a concentrated supplement can inhibit aromatase too much which will in turn increase DHT.

baller234

Back to top Go down

Post  ubraj Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:38 am

baller234,

95% of soy in US is genetically modified! Just that reason alone I stay away from it.

If I ever did consume soy would make sure it's fermented. 10 years ago use to consume non fermented soy when news was being saturated with benefits and wouldn't recommend it. They make crazy glue out of that. That's what it does to the villi in your stomach among other issues.

Regarding testosterone, yes, I'm sure almost everyone on this forum have gone over the studies and info and has been talked about to death. Over 10 years ago all that was talked about was DHT, testosterone, estrogen, etc.. It really is a 90's way of thinking. Not that it doesn't work but there is no way I'd ever put my body through that again... went through it for 8 - 12 years as there really was no other info on how to combat MPB. That's what this forum is about as there are better ways of fighting hair loss. Not to mention eventually the same old DHT, testosterone battle becomes ineffective.

With new information about hair loss the truth is almost everything works to fight MPB where some things are a lot better than others. Also, have to consider not everybody has the same weaknesses in their chain. That's why you have regimens all over the map. What works for one may not work as well in another. It's all about experimentation and lots and lots of education on the subject. Can't just pop a pill for the next 6 - 12 months without understanding why you should and therefore if you should.

The problem is many people have the false impression that without growing hair, their regimen is not working and then keep switching from regimen to regimen until one day they say that nothing works.

So again, yes, lowering testosterone does work IME to fight hair loss. However, raising testosterone with a testosterone cream had no ill effects so long as the rest of my health was in good shape. Makes you wonder if CS is correct with experiences such as mine and that in vitro studies are short-sighted without seeing the larger picture of what occurs in the body. I personally know CS is correct but people need to experiment and educate themselves.

Some people want easy answers to hair loss and that's why HLH/HLT exist.

FWIW, here are some of CS's more recent quotes after March 2010 regarding testosterone

The most misunderstood thing about testosterone in MPB is assuming that all ages are the same.

As men age, their free testosterone goes down, their glucose metabolism worsens, their estrogen rises, so does their SHBG levels.

When insulin rises, it depresses hormone function and places the body into a state of hibernation, slowing down oxygen consumption, reducing combustion.

Younger men however, bald because their SHBG are too low, so having high testosterone can more readily convert to DHT. Note also that very young men, who are at adolescence or just above will have a transient insulin resistance, because of the body still growing up until age 25 or so, and the hormones are trying to "catch up" creating a hormone imbalance.

Increasing testosterone is a good thing, even if you're young. The only worry is if SHBG levels are too low with high testosterone. Ashwagandha (as Sensoril), will increase testosterone to cortisol ratios. This is definitely a good thing

Conversely, if testosterone is high, with a health endocrine balance (hormones), peroxynitrate can be attenuated and there will not be much in the way of inflammation. A key factor in this control is Ecklonia Cava, Vitamin C and Vitamin D.

For the most part it does (hormones). Women who have polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), have a balding pattern more similar to a man's, as they have very high testosterone levels. In normal women, they
have higher levels of estrogen than a man, protecting against a dht mediated hair loss.

Meta-analyses of these studies show consistent sex-specific associations. In men, lower testosterone, higher estradiol and lower SHBG levels are associated with type 2 diabetes. In women, higher testosterone, higher estradiol and lower SHBG are associated with type 2 diabetes.

Benign Prostatic hyperplasia (enlarged prostate) is generally estrogen fueled. Believe it or not, large amounts of DHT can actually shrink the prostate. Of course DHT blockers also help to shrink the prostate, because they generally increase testosterone, lower estrogen and DHT.

In young people with MPB, SHBG tends to be on the low side. However, in older men, SHBG tends to get too high, allowing estrogen to become a dominant force.

On a basic level, glucose, GTT, triglycerides, HDL, Lp(a), Testosterone, DHEA-Sulfate, Estrogen, Prolactin and TSH can give a general clue to what your body is doing.

For example, one of the most effective ways to improve a heart or diabetic patient is to increase their testosterone levels.

Honestly, wouldn't worry about anything about elevating testosterone levels. The higher the T levels the better the glucose metabolism, the better everything works.

When blood sugar metabolism is not good, SHBG can be low (if you're young), or possibly too high if you're old (this is why everyone is so confused about this marker).

What you really wouldn't want is a low testosterone to cortisol ratio. That is indicative of insulin resistance. If one is under high stress, it can cause an elevation of cortisol, which will increase insulin levels and lower testosterone.

ubraj

Back to top Go down

Post  ubraj Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:39 am

here are older quotes... just do a Ctrl F testosterone in this thread
https://immortalhair.forumotion.com/natural-hair-regrowth-f1/quotes-from-causticsymmetry-2-28-10-10-15-08-t2706.htm

hope this helps

ubraj

Back to top Go down

Post  HairSeeker Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:54 am

NewReg wrote:I appreciate everyone's thoughts, but I must say that we sound like a bunch of UFO hunters sometimes. Sometimes I wonder if we just can't handle the truth about our hair loss and use these studies and newly found regiments as mere hope. I say that because I've tried just about everything this forum has to offer (see earlier post) and every time I come back saying that it's not working, I get "YES, but have you tried ________ ?"

I mean, I get it, we're all experimenting with different things, but will anyone here admit to just a little bit of denial or wishful thinking? One person says supplementing with Vitamin D is the key, the next says it's one of the worst things you can do. One person says it's LLLT and the next says there hair is falling out because of it. Hypothyroidism, liver toxicity, candida, inflammation, calcification...they're all touted as the pathogens to hair loss, and yet, as I try the different remedies, I see no improvement. Now I'm undermineralyzed?

I did every blood test under the sun earlier this year with a holistic M.D. that practices orthomolecular medicine and the only things out of range were a heightened amount of testosterone (for my age), high iron, barely high mercury, and elevated barium. Everything else was within range. Much healthier than many I people know. Yet, I'm 35 and a borderline NW4.

Now, I'm not trying to discourage anyone, and I love the sharing of info. I also understand and appreciate the process here and the overall multifaceted approach to health, but consider this: While hugely unpopular and potentially dangerous, I took one 1mg pill for eight years that helped me to maintain my hair very well by targeting DHT. Yet, now I'm told that DHT isn't the real problem...it's all these other things (see above and many more). So I spend about $150 a month in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, clays and shampoos (not to mention my $500 laser helmet) and my diffusion keeps increasing and my hair line keeps receding. If the earlier wasn't the problem, why did the prescribed remedy work? And if the latter is the problem, why don't the prescribed remedies work? Food for thought anyway.

As you have probably read, my experience is exactly the same as yours. The little poison pill works. Sure, it's as affective as it used to be, but the damn thing slows down the loss. I have been looking for an explanation for years, but just can't seem to find one. If DHT is not the problem then why does the pill work?

HairSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:55 am

HairSeeker wrote:
NewReg wrote:I appreciate everyone's thoughts, but I must say that we sound like a bunch of UFO hunters sometimes. Sometimes I wonder if we just can't handle the truth about our hair loss and use these studies and newly found regiments as mere hope. I say that because I've tried just about everything this forum has to offer (see earlier post) and every time I come back saying that it's not working, I get "YES, but have you tried ________ ?"

As you have probably read, my experience is exactly the same as yours. The little poison pill works. Sure, it's as affective as it used to be, but the damn thing slows down the loss. I have been looking for an explanation for years, but just can't seem to find one. If DHT is not the problem then why does the pill work?

I have a theory in my minerals thread that you could help me with, would you mind reading and commenting? It's in the last couple of pages.

Back to top Go down

Post  HairSeeker Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:33 am

action<reaction wrote:
HairSeeker wrote:

I have a theory in my minerals thread that you could help me with, would you mind reading and commenting? It's in the last couple of pages.

Are you asking me? what is the thread name?

HairSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post  baller234 Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:08 am

jdp701 wrote:baller234,

95% of soy in US is genetically modified! Just that reason alone I stay away from it.

If I ever did consume soy would make sure it's fermented. 10 years ago use to consume non fermented soy when news was being saturated with benefits and wouldn't recommend it. They make crazy glue out of that. That's what it does to the villi in your stomach among other issues.

Regarding testosterone, yes, I'm sure almost everyone on this forum have gone over the studies and info and has been talked about to death. Over 10 years ago all that was talked about was DHT, testosterone, estrogen, etc.. It really is a 90's way of thinking. Not that it doesn't work but there is no way I'd ever put my body through that again... went through it for 8 - 12 years as there really was no other info on how to combat MPB. That's what this forum is about as there are better ways of fighting hair loss. Not to mention eventually the same old DHT, testosterone battle becomes ineffective.

With new information about hair loss the truth is almost everything works to fight MPB where some things are a lot better than others. Also, have to consider not everybody has the same weaknesses in their chain. That's why you have regimens all over the map. What works for one may not work as well in another. It's all about experimentation and lots and lots of education on the subject. Can't just pop a pill for the next 6 - 12 months without understanding why you should and therefore if you should.

The problem is many people have the false impression that without growing hair, their regimen is not working and then keep switching from regimen to regimen until one day they say that nothing works.

So again, yes, lowering testosterone does work IME to fight hair loss. However, raising testosterone with a testosterone cream had no ill effects so long as the rest of my health was in good shape. Makes you wonder if CS is correct with experiences such as mine and that in vitro studies are short-sighted without seeing the larger picture of what occurs in the body. I personally know CS is correct but people need to experiment and educate themselves.

Some people want easy answers to hair loss and that's why HLH/HLT exist.

FWIW, here are some of CS's more recent quotes after March 2010 regarding testosterone

The most misunderstood thing about testosterone in MPB is assuming that all ages are the same.

As men age, their free testosterone goes down, their glucose metabolism worsens, their estrogen rises, so does their SHBG levels.

When insulin rises, it depresses hormone function and places the body into a state of hibernation, slowing down oxygen consumption, reducing combustion.

Younger men however, bald because their SHBG are too low, so having high testosterone can more readily convert to DHT. Note also that very young men, who are at adolescence or just above will have a transient insulin resistance, because of the body still growing up until age 25 or so, and the hormones are trying to "catch up" creating a hormone imbalance.

Increasing testosterone is a good thing, even if you're young. The only worry is if SHBG levels are too low with high testosterone. Ashwagandha (as Sensoril), will increase testosterone to cortisol ratios. This is definitely a good thing

Conversely, if testosterone is high, with a health endocrine balance (hormones), peroxynitrate can be attenuated and there will not be much in the way of inflammation. A key factor in this control is Ecklonia Cava, Vitamin C and Vitamin D.

For the most part it does (hormones). Women who have polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), have a balding pattern more similar to a man's, as they have very high testosterone levels. In normal women, they
have higher levels of estrogen than a man, protecting against a dht mediated hair loss.

Meta-analyses of these studies show consistent sex-specific associations. In men, lower testosterone, higher estradiol and lower SHBG levels are associated with type 2 diabetes. In women, higher testosterone, higher estradiol and lower SHBG are associated with type 2 diabetes.

Benign Prostatic hyperplasia (enlarged prostate) is generally estrogen fueled. Believe it or not, large amounts of DHT can actually shrink the prostate. Of course DHT blockers also help to shrink the prostate, because they generally increase testosterone, lower estrogen and DHT.

In young people with MPB, SHBG tends to be on the low side. However, in older men, SHBG tends to get too high, allowing estrogen to become a dominant force.

On a basic level, glucose, GTT, triglycerides, HDL, Lp(a), Testosterone, DHEA-Sulfate, Estrogen, Prolactin and TSH can give a general clue to what your body is doing.

For example, one of the most effective ways to improve a heart or diabetic patient is to increase their testosterone levels.

Honestly, wouldn't worry about anything about elevating testosterone levels. The higher the T levels the better the glucose metabolism, the better everything works.

When blood sugar metabolism is not good, SHBG can be low (if you're young), or possibly too high if you're old (this is why everyone is so confused about this marker).

What you really wouldn't want is a low testosterone to cortisol ratio. That is indicative of insulin resistance. If one is under high stress, it can cause an elevation of cortisol, which will increase insulin levels and lower testosterone.

I have to agree with most everything you said however in my personal experience, whenever I take a supplement that inhibits aromatase and increases testosterone, my hair line worsens. MPB definetly does not have one clear cut cause for everyone however, I think we can all agree that at the follicular level, androgens are bad for hair. I think you're right that alot of people have different weaknesses in the way their body functions due to their lifestyle/diet that creat a surplus of androgens within the hair follicles. I think mine was/is poor estrogen metabolism which created an abundance of inflammatory, androgen upregulating 16 hydroxy estrogens and a shortage of pro hair 2 hydroxy estrogens/estriol combined with poor gut flora which further enhances the hormonal imbalance and iflammation.

As far as GMO soy is concerned, just buy organic fermented soy products at a health store or take a non genetically modified supplement (not hard too find, the life extension is non GMO and contains probiotics from non GMO natto).

baller234

Back to top Go down

Post  j87x Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:08 pm

which mineral supplements are you guys using?

j87x

Back to top Go down

Post  The Natural Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:20 pm

Nothing like having to scroll down a bunch of old posts. C'mon guys, there is absolutely no need to quote someone every time.

The Natural

Back to top Go down

Post  The Natural Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:48 pm

And baller, I know of no one (male) that has stopped his hair loss with soy isoflavones, a product, that you will find in a number of herbal combination supplements for women.

Yes, I realize that it looks (sounds) good on paper, but the reality is that, taken internally, it won't do a thing for your hair loss (MPB).

The Natural

Back to top Go down

Post  baller234 Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:20 pm

Really? I've read of several accounts of people stopping their hair loss from just adding soy milk or edamame. Hell I watched my old rm's hair line change just by incorporating more tofu into his diet. I understand everyone's biochemistry is different but I think isoflavones have a bigger impact on those of us that are young and in the very early stages of MPB than those us who the process is already well under way since it works by hormone modification.

baller234

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next