Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Ideal Diet for Hair loss EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Ideal Diet for Hair loss EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Ideal Diet for Hair loss EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Ideal Diet for Hair loss EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Ideal Diet for Hair loss EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Ideal Diet for Hair loss EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Ideal Diet for Hair loss EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Ideal Diet for Hair loss EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Ideal Diet for Hair loss EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Ideal Diet for Hair loss

+6
LittleFighter
HanginInthere
fritzenburg
Gibson
jksl
hopeful
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ideal Diet for Hair loss Empty Ideal Diet for Hair loss

Post  hopeful Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:39 am

In your opinion what is the ideal diet to curb or minimize hair loss?

hopeful

Back to top Go down

Ideal Diet for Hair loss Empty Re: Ideal Diet for Hair loss

Post  jksl Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:49 am

If hairloss-research.org is any indication, then Korean food, followed by Japanese food should be the best to curb hairloss. The Koreans and Japanese more or less eat the same food (probably because the two countries are right next to each other). They both eat fermented soy (vitamin K2 MK-7, lysine, etc.), perilla leaves (TNF-a down regulator), green tea (EGCG), sea vegetables (iodine, tin, etc.), rice (the most hypoallergenic grain), seafood (dha, epa, etc.) , sesame seed oil (tocotrienols), etc. Milk and dairy are traditionally not a part of their diets. Both consume plenty of taurine. They've had caffeine free 'energy drink' beverages with the main ingredients being taurine and vitamin b1 for decades. They come in these little glass bottles (you might have seen them at Asian markets) and they're consumed like they're liquid vitamins.

The main difference between the two cuisines is in food combining. There's a bit more advantage to Korean food though. First, Koreans eat a lot more fermented foods than the Japanese. They have kimchi everyday with virtually every meal. Second, they intake a lot more capsaicin from their red chili pepper powder. Third, at least one meal of the day will consist of some kind of hearty stew with meat, meat and bones, fish with bones, etc. which is very mineral rich. Fourth, they probably consume more krill as krill and/or shrimp is an ingredient in kimchi. Fifth, they consume more 'root food' - ginseng. Sixth, the number one on-the-go breakfast food in South Korea is tomato which is a rich source of dht-inhibiting lycopene.
jksl
jksl

Back to top Go down

Post  Gibson Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:38 pm

If I had to choose one cuisine, it would be Japanese.

Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post  fritzenburg Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:36 pm

Hah, excellent.

I will be in Japan for two weeks soon and I was worried about diet/regime whilst over there.

I have been quite low carb as of late...was worried about rice/noodles...etc, but if its moderately hair friendly, then ok.

fritzenburg

Back to top Go down

Post  HanginInthere Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:35 pm

You mean my macdonalds diet is bad for hair? I was thinking it might have something to do with my ....

HanginInthere

Back to top Go down

Post  hopeful Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:00 pm

IN terms of carbs, proteins, and fats, what should one ideally aim for (high carbs, low carbs, high fat, low fat, high protein, low protein).

Which of these has been found to be most suited to help with hairloss

hopeful

Back to top Go down

Post  hopeful Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:09 pm

Also, I am road race cyclist, so I ride the bike about 180 miles a week, and do weight lifting.
Can this in any way exasperate my hairloss.

Is there any way to minimize it such as the sequence in which I do this exercise (bike followed by weights or weights followed by bike).

Thank You

hopeful

Back to top Go down

Post  jksl Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:16 pm

hopeful wrote:IN terms of carbs, proteins, and fats, what should one ideally aim for (high carbs, low carbs, high fat, low fat, high protein, low protein).

Which of these has been found to be most suited to help with hairloss

I think this depends on your metabolic type. I am a mixed type according to these quizzes:

http://docs.google.com/gview?a=v&q=cache:zkBgIva71FkJ:www.gaiahealthcare.com/documents/MetabolicTypeQuiz_000.pdf+metabolic+type+quiz&hl=en&gl=ca

http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache%3AtG_uCd2DjNwJ%3Awww.isismedica.com%2Fpdf%2FMetabolic_Typing_Quiz.pdf+metabolic+type+quiz&hl=en&gl=ca

http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=metabolic-typing-test_1
jksl
jksl

Back to top Go down

Post  hopeful Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:14 pm

What specific foods have been found to contribute to hair loss in terms of inflammation etc.

hopeful

Back to top Go down

Post  jksl Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:33 pm

hopeful wrote:What specific foods have been found to contribute to hair loss in terms of inflammation etc.

Just off the top of my balding head:

refined vegetable oils
sugar
refined grains
dairy
fried foods
jksl
jksl

Back to top Go down

Post  hopeful Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:39 pm

thank you jksl

hopeful

Back to top Go down

Post  HanginInthere Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:43 am

Good diet would be
high in grains vegetables, not too many fruits be careful with those, some are too high in sugar, even though natural

avoid red meat, eat chicken and fish, and try to keep the
oils high in omega 3, and avoid animal fat oils
try to keep animal protein to less than 30 gms per day, this is not hard to do on an asian diet but is very difficult on a typical american western diet

avoid excess sodium processed meats soy sauce etc etc this can cause huge shedding

avoid white flour products if possible, and white rice, try to eat whole grain bread whole grain rice, etc

would be great if we could eat a diet like this wouldnt it
be nice to have a prvt chef

HanginInthere

Back to top Go down

Post  HanginInthere Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:45 am

also my warning about animal protein would include dairy

eating too much meat or dairy, is not good
try to eat like 80 percent veggies 20 percent meat, whatever the breakdown is, you know more of the asian type diet

as opposed to the macdonalds 90 percent meat, 10 percent white flour buns, and coke diet

HanginInthere

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:17 am

Meat is not the culprit. Reversed fatty acid balance, drugs, pesticides, hydrogenated oils, etc, are the real problem.
Grains, even worse, refined grains, are probably the most damaging "food" for us these days.

For me it is: Paleo Diet + Metabolic Typing. Period.
LittleFighter
LittleFighter

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:34 am

BTW, Many evidence has been posted regarding the bad influence of Wheat and other grains on health (and hair). So even if it's whole wheat, it's not good.

Sodium? you mention that because of the sodium *myth*? or did you mean nitrites and nitrosamines?
LittleFighter
LittleFighter

Back to top Go down

Post  BaldingYouth Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:45 am

Ya I doubt meat is the bad thing, just gotta be careful with the amount of iron and omega-6 you're getting from red meat, especially grain-fed, so using Krill Oil to get the omega6/omega3 balance back to normal. I'm not sure hot to flush iron out?

My diet now consists mostly of:
Vegetables
Chicken
Fish
Meat
Fruit
Brown Rice
Buckwheat
Lentils
Eggs, lots of em
Nuts(no peanuts)
Gluten-Free Bread
lots of coconut oil, some Olive oil
Plenty of Spice

I dunno if it's "ideal" and I'm definitely not perfect with it everyday, but in general the lack of gluten products and processed foods is good, if I could get all that stuff organic/grass-fed/wild this would probably be an extremely solid diet. Now I just gotta work on drinking less on the weekend afro

BaldingYouth

Back to top Go down

Post  jksl Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:24 am

BaldingYouth wrote:
lots of coconut oil, some Olive oil

I, too, consume coconut oil (extra virgin variety). But, i don't think it's necessary to consume "lots" of it. I guess, it depends on what you mean by lots.

Anyway, coconut oil is strongly inflammatory according to many sources like this one: http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/fats-and-oils/508/2

Although the vitamin E content should quell some of that inflammation.

In any case, i just go for a teaspoon or less of the stuff with my food to get some of the fat-soluble vitamins into my system. I wouldn't consume tablespoons and tablespoons of the stuff like some people i know. That's completely unnecessary IMO. BTW, EVCO is the only oil i use now for cooking, but again, i only use a little bit of it.
jksl
jksl

Back to top Go down

Post  jksl Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:26 am

waitaminute, is there vitamin E in coconut oil? Or am i thinking of another oil?
jksl
jksl

Back to top Go down

Post  BaldingYouth Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:57 am

I wouldn't say I consume excess amounts, but I use about a tablespoon to cook my eggs in the morning and if I cook something that requires oil its gonna be coconut oil. By lots what I meant was that it's pretty much the only oil I use, with the expection of some olive oil in my salads. I definitely don't just eat it by itself.

BaldingYouth

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:55 am

I consume a tremendous amount of red meat. A lot of it being grain-fed since it's usually the only choice when eating out. Besides the krill oil to account for the N-6/N-3 fatty acid imbalance, stabilized R-Lipoic acid acts as an iron chelator.

Redox Rep. 2005;10(1):52-60.
Related Articles, Links

Dietary supplementation with (R)-alpha-lipoic acid reverses the age-related accumulation of iron and depletion of antioxidants in the rat cerebral cortex.

Suh JH, Moreau R, Heath SH, Hagen TM.

Department Biochemistry and Biophysics, Linus Pauling Institute, Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon 97331, USA.

Accumulation of divalent metal ions (e.g. iron and copper) has been proposed to contribute to heightened oxidative stress evident in aging and neurodegenerative disorders. To understand the extent of iron accumulation and its effect on antioxidant status, we monitored iron content in the cerebral cortex of F344 rats by inductively coupled plasma atomic emission spectrometry (ICP-AES) and found that the cerebral iron levels in 24-28-month-old rats were increased by 80% (p<0.01) relative to 3-month-old rats. Iron accumulation correlated with a decline in glutathione (GSH) and the GSH/GSSG ratio, indicating that iron accumulation altered antioxidant capacity and thiol redox state in aged animals. Because (R)-alpha-Lipoic acid (LA) is a potent chelator of divalent metal ions in vitro and also regenerates other antioxidants, we monitored whether feeding LA (0.2% [w/w]; 2 weeks) could lower cortical iron and improve antioxidant status. Results show that cerebral iron levels in old LA-fed animals were lower when compared to controls and were similar to levels seen in young rats. Antioxidant status and thiol redox state also improved markedly in old LA-fed rats versus controls. These results thus show that LA supplementation may be a means to modulate the age-related accumulation of cortical iron content, thereby lowering oxidative stress associated with aging.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  edony Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:26 pm

CS-

What is your view on "coconut oil being inflammatory" ? That contradicts what we used to believe 'till now...
I usually gulp down whole TBS of the stuff...
edony
edony

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:19 am

That sites classifies it that way because it contains omega-6, and nearly 0 Omega-3, that's why.

Of course we know it provides many benefits, including antiandrogenic properties, antifungal, etc.
LittleFighter
LittleFighter

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:21 am

Hooray! that was my post #100 cheers
LittleFighter
LittleFighter

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:54 am

edony - Maybe there was a typo somewhere, I would never say that intentionally. Can you link where that was mentioned?

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  jksl Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:03 am

CausticSymmetry wrote:edony - Maybe there was a typo somewhere, I would never say that intentionally. Can you link where that was mentioned?

you never said it. but, there are sites that mention it. Like these ones:

http://www.natmedtalk.com/general-discussion/1730-food-inflammatory-index.html

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/fats-and-oils/508/2

I agree with this article: http://www.dietriffic.com/2007/10/05/coconut-oil-good-bad-or-ugly/

"As with all foods, moderation is the key; personally I don’t believe coconut oil is bad per se, however I also don’t believe that it’s the miracle food it has been made out to be either!"

Taking tablespoons of the stuff is completely unnecessary, especially if one doesn't know their own metabolic type.
jksl
jksl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next