Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
buckwheat. EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
buckwheat. EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
buckwheat. EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
buckwheat. EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
buckwheat. EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
buckwheat. EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
buckwheat. EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
buckwheat. EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
buckwheat. EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

buckwheat.

+12
HarryHenderson
fritzenburg
kijumn
Whip
Swoosh
ITITCHES
hapyman
Amaranthaceae
JJB9050
Gibson
CausticSymmetry
Prague
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

buckwheat. Empty buckwheat.

Post  Prague Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:46 am

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=11

amazing - in order to follow a gluten free diet i replaced grains by buckwheat

Prague

Back to top Go down

buckwheat. Empty Re: buckwheat.

Post  CausticSymmetry Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:29 am

Prague - Love this idea, thanks!

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Gibson Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:18 am

the only drag about buckweat is it is usually blended with wheat flour in products. finding pure buckwheat products is a challenge and, when found, expensive. pure buckwheat soba noodles are approx seven bucks.

Quinoa and brown rice wheat and gluten free products seem easier to come by. I think those are more staple grains that folks with gluten allergies use.

But buckwheat seems nutritionally impressive. Too bad I couldn't find much in WF's today.

Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post  JJB9050 Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:38 am

Hey guys, I posted this over on regrowth.com and thought I'd post it here as well. Buckwheat may have even more specific benefits to MPB besides just replacing wheat. I got a 2lb bag of pure buckwheat (no wheat added) at whole foods for $5 isn't too bad price wise. You can also order buckwheat farinetta from minndak.

For those of you who don't know, PCOS and male pattern baldness have a very similar hormonal pattern. I stumbled upon a treatment that women have used with great success for PCOS in terms of getting a regular cycle and treating acne and unwanted hair growth. I was making some buckwheat bread and wanted to search for the health benefits of buckwheat (which is not technically a grain and gluten free) as I knew it was pretty healthy.
http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/inositol.html

Basically, I've read that women with PCOS have lower levels of D-Chiro-Inositol, and supplementation helps reverse insulin resistance and takes care of a lot of their problems. The main source is buckwheat and especially buckwheat farinetta. Some people also use carob syrup and soy lecithin. I'm not sure if they contain DCI or just related compounds like D-pinitol. D-Pinitol is supposed to be a precursor and helpful as well, plus it's cheaper. I think about 1/3 of it converts to DCI. If you do a search for dci and pcos, you'll find tons of stuff by women talking about how it helped them get periods and took care of their acne and hormonal issues.

An impaired ability to produce d-chiro-inositol may be an explanation for those that suffer from MPB and PCOS. Plus it's one thing that hasn't been tried much before from what I can tell by those with MPB on message boards. Of course, why one would have lower levels of DCI while others don't has yet to be explained.

Since men have similar hormonal issues and MPB has been linked to insulin resistance, I figure it won't hurt to make buckwheat products like breads (grain free) and kasha a regular part of my diet. (It's also found in fruits and vegetables, but buckwheat is the highest source I found) Plus maybe get some carob syrup or powder and up my dose of IP-6 which I just started taking. Just thought I'd let you guys know. I'd love to hear thoughts on this stuff.

JJB9050

Back to top Go down

Post  Prague Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:03 am

i really believe in buckwheat - i've found out that after eating it my belly gets flat - even on a low carb gluten free diet it wasn't so flat - i can tell since i can see my veins on my abs which i couldn't before. I also realised that days after eating buckwheat my skin gets very clear (maybe it's a different connection but after eating buckwheat it's more evident) - the list of its benefits is amazing, i was impressed with rutin and its ipact on blood coagulation, the LDL lowering capacity, insulin lowering effect, lignans, triglycerides lowering effect

about rutin

Rutin has strong antioxidant properties. Rutin has also the property to chelate metal ions, such as iron, thereby reducing the Fenton reaction (production damaging oxygen radicals). Rutin also seems to stabilize vitamin C. If rutin is taken together with vitamin C, the activity of ascorbic will be intensified.
Rutin is important because it strengthens capillaries and can help people who bruise or bleed easily. Studies have demonstrated that rutin can help to stop venous edema, that is an early sign of chronic venous disease of the leg.
Rutin has anti-inflammatory effects. Animal studies have shown that rutin has preventive and healing effects.
There are indications that rutin can inhibit some cancerous and pre-cancerous conditions.
Rutin may help to prevent atherogenesis and reduce the cytotoxicity of oxidized LDL-cholesterol.

Prague

Back to top Go down

Post  Gibson Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:07 am

I got the de-hulled version today at WF's. That was only 1.99 a pound. I was hoping to find pre-made bread or crackers with buckwheat, but still could only come up with soba noodles.

I'll check it out tonight.

Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post  Gibson Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:14 am

more specifically, the bag says "buckwheat groats." Cooking directions are one part buckwheat, one part water, or stock. I definitely won't be making my own bread, so I hope this is palatable.

Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:37 pm

I asked a relative today who has done a lot of nutritional gourmet type cooking, she said she has made chocolate chip cookies using buckwheat flour. I asked is there's any wheat in that flour--the obvious answer was, check and make sure it's 100% buckwheat flour in there.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  JJB9050 Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:48 pm

Yeah, a lot of buckwheat flour at the grocery store is a buckwheat and wheat combo. It's usually a pancake mix. I found pure buckwheat flour at whole foods and they also sell bulk kasha. I'm going to try trader joe's tommorow and see what I can find. You can also order pure buckwheat flour online.

JJB9050

Back to top Go down

Post  Amaranthaceae Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:46 pm

Hey, just now I got a homemade banana buckwherat bread in the oven. The buckwheat flour is 100% but de-hulled so prob lacking on all the minerals and rutin .. I jusat threw in half a banana, abit honey, an egg, water and olive oil and salt .. Please post reciepies for buckwheat bread or pasta homemade : )

Amaranthaceae

Back to top Go down

Post  hapyman Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:25 am

Sounds delicious CPIO.
hapyman
hapyman

Back to top Go down

Post  Gibson Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:28 am

Cpio--
I'm familiar with that recipe from past girlfriends--it's actually more muffin than bread, but of course everyone calls it banana bread.

A source for buckwheat bread (with yeast) would be a slam dunk.

Any suggestions?

PS--My groats were shite.

Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post  Amaranthaceae Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:57 pm

Hey, that buckwheat mufin-/bread I made tasted super-good! Defintly will use the othr half of the flour soon to make another. Who would have known, me who have never baked anything before. I am already getting ideas about making a chocolate muffin, a dinner bread with rosemary and other herbs in., maybe a tomato one, the sky is the limit!

This here chick has some really good info on buckwheat, I thinks he mentions groats too