Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Chapter from book on cholesterol and baldness EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Chapter from book on cholesterol and baldness EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Chapter from book on cholesterol and baldness EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Chapter from book on cholesterol and baldness EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Chapter from book on cholesterol and baldness EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Chapter from book on cholesterol and baldness EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Chapter from book on cholesterol and baldness EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Chapter from book on cholesterol and baldness EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Chapter from book on cholesterol and baldness EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Chapter from book on cholesterol and baldness

3 posters

Go down

Chapter from book on cholesterol and baldness Empty Chapter from book on cholesterol and baldness

Post  Espio Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:56 pm

This is a free PDF of a chapter from a book called "Conquering Hair Loss" by Nasser Razack.

A quote I found pertinant to the other young balders like myself:

"Another study adds yet more information about the association between androgenic
alopecia and heart disease. Trevisan et al examined this association and also measured
serum cholesterol levels [4]. They found that, in addition to androgenic alopecia being a
risk factor for coronary heart disease, serum cholesterol levels were significantly higher
in participants with androgenic alopecia compared to those without it. Also, the
association between higher serum cholesterol levels and androgenic alopecia became
weaker with increased age; that is, the older the person, the less significant this
association. Again, the hair loss we experience as we age is a completely separate
entity from androgenic alopecia. Both these studies clearly indicate that heart disease is
associated with the hair loss that is due to androgenic alopecia and not with the hair
loss that accompanies aging."

Espio

Back to top Go down

Chapter from book on cholesterol and baldness Empty Re: Chapter from book on cholesterol and baldness

Post  curt504 Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:41 pm

Interesting association with hair loss. This fits in with the discussion here on inflammation and it's reduction protocols.

This author puts cholesterol into perspective. High cholesterol is a symptom, a result of other issues. Is C-reactive protein high as well?

http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/cholesterol-friend.html

Since cholesterol is usually discussed in the context of disease and atherosclerosis, let us look at the blood vessels. Their inside walls are covered by a layer of cells called the endothelium. Any damaging agent we are exposed to will finish up in our bloodstream, whether it is a toxic chemical, an infectious organism, a free radical or anything else. Once such an agent is in the blood, what is it going to attack first? The endothelium, of course. The endothelium immediately sends a message to the liver. Whenever our liver receives a signal that a wound has been inflicted upon the endothelium somewhere in our vascular system, it gets into gear and sends cholesterol to the site of the damage in a shuttle, called LDL-cholesterol. Because this cholesterol travels from the liver to the wound in the form of LDL, our "science," in its wisdom calls LDL "bad" cholesterol. When the wound heals and the cholesterol is removed, it travels back to the liver in the form of HDLcholesterol (high-density lipoprotein cholesterol). Because this cholesterol travels away from the artery back to the liver, our misguided "science" calls it "good" cholesterol. This is like calling an ambulance travelling from the hospital to the patient a "bad ambulance," and the one travelling from the patient back to the hospital a "good ambulance."

I've recently posted here about low fat diets raise insulin which causes fat to be stored. Elevated insulin is associated with aging and inflammation. This piece notes the carbohydrate intake relationship to elevated cholesterol and lipids.

http://www.westonaprice.org/askdoctor/highcholesterol.html

Just a final few words on lipid levels and their "management." The most important thing for your patient and many others is their positive protective HDL levels. It is known and has been repeatedly borne out in my personal experience that the HDL level is inversely related to the triglyceride level. For me, the triglyceride level is a key indicator because it is directly related to the amount of carbohydrates consumed as a function of exercise. The more carbohydrates, of any kind, the patient consumes, the higher the triglyceride levels and the lower the HDL. So, I use lipid panels to tell me whether my patients are consuming too many carbohydrates for their activity level. If they are, the total cholesterol level will be more than double the triglycerides and the HDL will be low. I vigorously correct this by suggesting lower carbohydrate intake (yes, even grains and fruit) and encouraging more exercise or physical activity.

The Response-to-Injury Rabbit Model

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Does-Cholesterol-Cause-Heart-Disease-Myth.html

As we will see below, these are all correct! Atherosclerosis is largely driven by the degeneration of lipids which infiltrate the blood vessel and thereby cause inflammation. Inflammation from other sources may accelerate the process or further the degeneration of the atherosclerotic plaques once they are formed, but the initiating factor for fatty plaques appears to be the degeneration of lipids — especially the degeneration of polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA).

inflammation leads to elevated cholesterol as a response mechanism.

---
Low fat diets are often high in carbohydrates and PUFAs (seed oils) lead to insulin spikes and weight gain and inflammation.

Why the low fat diet is bad science. --Gary Taubes
http://www.stumbleupon.com/s/#2L3gpH/www.dhslides.org/mgr/mgr060509f/f.htm/

curt

curt504

Back to top Go down

Chapter from book on cholesterol and baldness Empty Re: Chapter from book on cholesterol and baldness

Post  CausticSymmetry Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:37 am

I remember sometime in the late 70's my Dad said, "no more eggs, it raises cholesterol." I wondered ever since how that bad science was ever created. I found out recently that powdered eggs were used that created the egg scare. Makes sense now since eating eggs doesn't increase cholesterol.

I hope at least in my lifetime the whole cholesterol paradigm will shift into carbohydrate phobia instead of saturated fat, which is sadly missing from decent fast food--unless you fly out to Arizona and visit Heart Attack Grill. They use healthy lard to make their fast food. Ironically, every place but Heart Attack Grill should carry that name instead, since they use real artery clogging vegetable oils.

High cholesterol really means, high refined carbohydrate consumption or low iodine or low vitamin D levels or heavy metals or low testosterone.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down