Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Question for CS or any other knowledgable members about oils such as coconut, olive, grapeseed, sesame. EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Question for CS or any other knowledgable members about oils such as coconut, olive, grapeseed, sesame. EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Question for CS or any other knowledgable members about oils such as coconut, olive, grapeseed, sesame. EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Question for CS or any other knowledgable members about oils such as coconut, olive, grapeseed, sesame. EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Question for CS or any other knowledgable members about oils such as coconut, olive, grapeseed, sesame. EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Question for CS or any other knowledgable members about oils such as coconut, olive, grapeseed, sesame. EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Question for CS or any other knowledgable members about oils such as coconut, olive, grapeseed, sesame. EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Question for CS or any other knowledgable members about oils such as coconut, olive, grapeseed, sesame. EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Question for CS or any other knowledgable members about oils such as coconut, olive, grapeseed, sesame. EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Question for CS or any other knowledgable members about oils such as coconut, olive, grapeseed, sesame.

4 posters

Go down

Question for CS or any other knowledgable members about oils such as coconut, olive, grapeseed, sesame. Empty Question for CS or any other knowledgable members about oils such as coconut, olive, grapeseed, sesame.

Post  sizzlinghairs Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:16 am

Hey guys. Couple questions.

Alongside my daily brushing, I have been rubbing in olive oil into my scalp prior and then leaving it on for an hour.

First question: Would this be detrimental to my scalp or hair in terms of disturbing the flora of my scalp? I always thought olive oil was great for scalp/skin health.

Second question: A lot of these oils such as coconut and olive are said to have anti-androgenic. My body has always been extremely sensitive to anti-androgens in the past. Do these oils block androgens in an adaptogenic fashion (when inflammation is present) or do they block androgens regardless of the environment?

Third question: Is sesame oil an anti-androgen?

Thanks in advance!!

sizzlinghairs

Back to top Go down

Question for CS or any other knowledgable members about oils such as coconut, olive, grapeseed, sesame. Empty Re: Question for CS or any other knowledgable members about oils such as coconut, olive, grapeseed, sesame.

Post  AS54 Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:32 am

I don't believe in rubbing oils into the scalp. I think it can effect the appearance, or "health", of actual strands of hair, but I don't believe it is beneficial for the scalp itself. I have personally found that fatty substances applied to the scalp worsened my problems a lot. Back when I first started noticing the loss I used many different combinations of oils and found that my hair quality decreased over that period relatively fast. Without knowing the microorganisms present in or around the follicles, its difficult to assess what kind of buffet line you are introducing when you do this. Others will probably disagree. If skin health in general is what you are after, I prefer to use something like aloe vera. An important note though is that I've never tried coconut oil, and given the fatty acid makeup, I'd say this would probably be the best thing to use rather than something containing longer chain fats or more PUFA.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Question for CS or any other knowledgable members about oils such as coconut, olive, grapeseed, sesame. Empty Re: Question for CS or any other knowledgable members about oils such as coconut, olive, grapeseed, sesame.

Post  sizzlinghairs Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:03 am

Thanks AS54.

I use extra virgin olive oil and have been doing so for around 7-8 months now. I always wash it off after an hour.

My hair and scalp feel perfectly normal after all this time. My hair actually seems to appear a little more healthy. This being the case, do you think it could be possible that olive oil could be compatible with my particular scalp?

sizzlinghairs

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadlyDevice Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:07 am

Avoid anything that has 'rape' in its name.

DeadlyDevice

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:15 am

DeadlyDevice wrote:Avoid anything that has 'rape' in its name.

Good advice

sizzlinghairs - There's nothing inherently wrong with the oils you are using, but overall trial and error is your best proof.
There are past threads on the composition of these oils. Coconut is the best known as non comedogenic (will not clog pores).

Olive oils seems to be good from a healthy feel standpoint.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  sizzlinghairs Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:21 am

Thanks CS. Yeah after doing a bit of research, olive oil seems to be in the low category along with coconut oil in terms of being comedogenic. I have definitely not noticed any acne problems in my scalp. And I also wash it out after an hour as well.

What are your thoughts on it disturbing natural flora of the scalp? I always thought olive oil to be rather healthy. I always make sure to stay away from any SLS or other negatives. I try to use as good of the organic soap/shampoo brands as I can.

Edit** also, I heard the lauric acid in coconut oil rather anti-androgenic so this is why Ive been somewhat deterred from using it. Ive just been very sensitive to all AAs in past. Although using some topically most likely wouldnt cause any sides, Im still paranoid  Shocked 

sizzlinghairs

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:53 am

Agree with CS on this one. Your scalp is unique and so are the microorganisms living there. Different people will respond differently to different oils, and trial and error is really the only way you are going to know. Reading all of the research on earth might give you perspective, but its not going to tell you what's going to happen in your case. Like I said, I've had negative experiences with using oil on my scalp. My scalp produced far too much oil as it was, and I've always done better using fast absorbing substances like aloe, and also astringents to keep the surface extremely clean. I would not worry about hormonal effects from foods. Even if it is the case it is anti-androgenic, you aren't going to get enough from how much oil you are applying with one application, and its not going to be in the same galaxy as far as the potency of anti-androgen drugs.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  sizzlinghairs Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:14 am

Well so far so good.

Scalp is itchy now and then but no different then before I started this. Hair looks solid.

sizzlinghairs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down