Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
what's happening to me? EmptyToday at 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
what's happening to me? EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
what's happening to me? EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
what's happening to me? EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
what's happening to me? EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
what's happening to me? EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
what's happening to me? EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
what's happening to me? EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
what's happening to me? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

what's happening to me?

+5
sachalamp
Aeons7
CausticSymmetry
shaftless
demgains77
9 posters

Go down

what's happening to me? Empty what's happening to me?

Post  demgains77 Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:17 pm

I recently attempted to start the process of chelation and healing my leaky gut. About 3 weeks into using MCP/Humifulvate and doing the gaps diet, I started getting increasing anxiety/depression/insomnia/fatigue/memory loss/nausea/lessened resilience to stress.
It wasn't too bad until three days ago, I woke up and I didn't have enough energy to get out of bed, I felt nauseous, depressed and there is a constant feeling of anxiety present, it intermittently builds up to anxiety attacks throughout the day. I feel like i've gone crazy and I'm becoming suicidal, the anxiety is just constantly there and It's mind numbing. I haven't slept in three days. Even the slightest stress like someone knocking at the door is physically hurting my head.

I suspect it's adrenal fatigue, now that I look back I had symptoms of it preceding the detox,like sleep disturbance, memory loss, more energy at night than in the morning, lower back pain etc
My blood sugar was extremely low for duration of the 3 weeks, but i wanted to plough through it and stick to the gaps diet. I've also got 3 amalgram fillings and got quite a detox reaction from just 1 humifulvate pill.
I guess my adrenals were already fatigued before I started the detoxification due to various reasons, and this detox tipped my adrenals over the edge.

Anyway, can anyone provide any helpful information? Anything I absolutely should or should not be doing? I've ordered a cortisol/DHEA testing kit, and I'll go to the GP  if I absolutely have to. I just want to get out of this living hell, I feel hopeless right now.

demgains77

Back to top Go down

what's happening to me? Empty Re: what's happening to me?

Post  shaftless Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:16 pm

Maybe just go back to your old eating habits for awhile. Or try a near fast...eat just a healthy breakfast and very liittle for the rest of the day. Sometimes a fast detoxes the body and "resets" it again. But do it gradually and on days that you can lay around the house and don't have any heavy demands on you.

shaftless

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:21 pm

Having 3 amalgams just put in, sets the stage for a number of changes. Enzyme suppression, and also whatever other metals may precipitate and increase the intoxication. There are so many variables it is impossible to say for sure. Then if there are other metals (crowns), there is a battery-like effect, known as galvanization -- in effect it destroys ATP.

Your best bet at this stage is to hold off on metal detox, and take plenty of sulfur. And to increase whatever fermentation bacteria/food to help detox the metals from the gut end.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  demgains77 Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:57 pm

Thanks for the replies, really appreciated
shaftless wrote:Maybe just go back to your old eating habits for awhile. Or try a near fast...eat just a healthy breakfast and very liittle for the rest of the day. Sometimes a fast detoxes the body and "resets" it again. But do it gradually and on days that you can lay around the house and don't have any heavy demands on you.
My old eating habits were unfortunately mainly gluten based. For now i'm eating bone broth and brown rice to keep my blood sugar stable. If my blood sugar drops slightly I begin to have a panic attack, at the moment I'm hesitant to try any sort of detox.

CausticSymmetry wrote:Having 3 amalgams just put in, sets the stage for a number of changes. Enzyme suppression, and also whatever other metals may precipitate and increase the intoxication.  There are so many variables it is impossible to say for sure. Then if there are other metals (crowns), there is a battery-like effect, known as galvanization -- in effect it destroys ATP.

Your best bet at this stage is to hold off on metal detox, and take plenty of sulfur. And to increase whatever fermentation bacteria/food to help detox the metals from the gut end.

I stopped the humifulvate and MCP 3 days ago and the symptoms are getting worse. I'd tried humifulvate a couple of months prior at a higher dosage, and while I did have insomnia/anxiety increase, I felt fine after stopping use. Same with iodine, in the past I've gone straight to 50mg(stupidly) and suffered an immediate detox reaction(acne, racing thoughts, hair goes brittle over night) but as soon as i stop it goes away.  So for those reasons, I believe what i'm experiencing now isn't strictly to do with heavy metals, but rather the recent chelation was another accumulative stress factor that has led to adrenal fatigue (with back pain, low blood sugar, lack of sleep, alcohol and a fair few other things, being the other factors).  I'm going to add in msm and keep taking probiotics to see if that helps though.
 Strangely valerian root makes the anxiety way worse, and so do these adrenal products I've tried:
http://www.iherb.com/Gaia-Herbs-Adrenal-Health-120-Veggie-Liquid-Phyto-Caps/18657#p=1&oos=1&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=gaia%20herbs%20adrenal&rc=279&sr=null&ic=1
http://www.iherb.com/Natural-Sources-Raw-Adrenal-60-Capsules/5867#p=1&oos=1&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=raw%20adrenal&rc=22&sr=null&ic=1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001881GD8/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

rdkml wrote:I had a rare reaction to humifulvate that made me very "incredibly" ill.  The reaction was what I believe be due to lyme disease which I currently energetically test at 0.  

I believe if others have a severe reaction to humifulvate, that they should also look into lyme disease as well.  To rule out the possibility.

After lowering lyme load, humifulvate did not give any further problems.    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JgR_Jfbhv8

Thanks for the link. As said above I've used humifulvate in the past with no real problems apart from some anxiety/insomnia a couple of hours after taking, upon cessation of use I was fine again. I probably overstated having "quite a detox reaction" when using humifulvate. I meant compared to the fact that most people seem to have no detox symptoms at all when using it.
So to clarify, I do get a detox reaction to humifulvate, it increases anxiety and insomnia for a couple of hours after use. But at the same time  thinking back to before chelation and starting the diet, I was having anxiety insomnia, memory loss (although nowhere near as bad). So my guess is that I was having symptoms of adrenal fatigue before chelation, and then when i begun chelation and the gaps diet at the same time(having constant low blood sugar)  completely tipped my adrenals over the edge.
Although I'm not ruling out the possibility of heavy metals  or lyme disease being the culprit(I suspect the fact that I have a heavy metal burden probably made my adrenals weak to begin with), but this makes the most sense at this point.

To be honest I just want the anxiety to go away so I can think properly and address the other issues. It's bringing me to tears, feels like my brain is constantly going to have a seizure. I can't sleep because my brain is in pain, and the lack of sleep is in turn making the anxiety worse. Think I'm going to have to go to the GP if I'm honest, something I really don't want to do as they've been useless to me in the past.

Edit: also I should note the past three days I've also had bad stomach problems and diarrhea. Something I've read is common with adrenal fatigue

demgains77

Back to top Go down

Post  Aeons7 Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:43 am

Can't say im under the same diet and supplements as you although im gluten free because of allergy but in this past week ive experienced some extreme anxiety and depression at one point I almost felt like I had suicidal thoughts and I was so anxious I was scared I was going crazy anywho I also had diarrhea and awful stomach problems and I finally noticed that I was eating spoiled bread(gluten free) it had spores on it so I threw away the bread and im finally beginning to feel better idk if that helps at all but its sounded very similar to what you were going through. Idk the exact science behind it but maybe you might draw some insight from it.

Aeons7

Back to top Go down

Post  demgains77 Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:04 am

Aeons7 wrote:Can't say im under the same diet and supplements as you although im gluten free because of allergy but in this past week ive experienced some extreme anxiety and depression at one point I almost felt like I had suicidal thoughts and I was so anxious I was scared I was going crazy anywho I also had diarrhea and awful stomach problems and I finally noticed that I was eating spoiled bread(gluten free) it had spores on it so I threw away the bread and im finally beginning to feel better idk if that helps at all but its sounded very similar to what you were going through. Idk the exact science behind it but maybe you might draw some insight from it.
Thanks for the reply Aeons7, I should have connected the dots earlier, along with the anxiety etc I was getting increasing stomach pains, fever symptoms and diarrhea, I didn't really even connect the two until now due to the anxiety basically taking over every thought. Today they are pretty bad and so are the rest of the symptoms, I suspect I have some sort of stomach infection, which is making the adrenal fatigue worse.
My memory is so poor at the moment, now that I think about it, I ate a large amount of moldy cheese the other day as it was the only thing in the house and my blood sugar was extremely low. (I didn't realise it was moldy until after i had eaten most of it)

I'm going to go to the GP to check my stomach out, I imagine I'll be prescribed anti biotics.

Thanks again

demgains77

Back to top Go down

Post  Aeons7 Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:09 am

Yeah no problem. I suffered from anxiety for a while and ive tried the gaps diet and I even have the book and it is explained that you can definitely feel worse on it not necessarily from chelation but from your body killing off the bad gut flora. Also did you do the intro diet or full gaps?

Aeons7

Back to top Go down

Post  demgains77 Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:48 am

Aeons7 wrote:Yeah no problem. I suffered from anxiety for a while and ive tried the gaps diet and I even have the book and it is explained that you can definitely feel worse on it not necessarily from chelation but from your body killing off the bad gut flora. Also did you do the intro diet or full gaps?
How did the gaps diet work out for you?
I was in the process of doing the intro diet.

demgains77

Back to top Go down

Post  Aeons7 Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:58 pm

I wasn't on it for too long maybe 2 or 3 weeks, it was too much for me to keep up with it especially with work and school. I did feel pretty good though through that time. I drank nothing but water and broth and ate the boiled meat. You should definitely continue it though if you have the resources and time, it sounds pretty promising and I plan on doing the whole 2 year diet eventually but as for right now its a bit stressful.

Aeons7

Back to top Go down

Post  sachalamp Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:38 pm

Lack of sleep and suicidal thoghts are not something you should take lightly.

I understand that you want to try something with diet, but my advice is to ease up on this system and go back at least partly to old habits.

Chelation is a potentially deadly process and you should be much more careful. The other changes you did are also a bit extreme.

There is no rush.

sachalamp

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:01 pm

Yeah, I'd agree with the above. I wouldn't try a throwing the kitchen sink at yourself all at one time. That's one of the dangers, in my opinion, of finding the alternative health community. People want to go all or nothing and get the idea that if they aren't hitting it all, they aren't doing it right.

Fixing the gut is an intensive process and a burden on the body. There can be pretty nasty detox if there were problems there to begin with. I'd focus on sticking with your dietary fixes and letting them do their work before attempting any heavy chelation. Just the process of reestablishing proper barrier function can help the body start ridding itself of toxins. Proper barrier function means better nutrient absorption (particularly of fat soluble vitamins and a lot of minerals) and you'll find when the body starts getting the right "fortifications" from the diet, you might feel like you're experiencing some biological spring cleaning.

I would always advise anyone to focus on getting the right "doctors" in place first (if I can steal from Paul Chek). I mean diet, sleep, exercise, sunlight. And for me, I also add in social circumstances. To me, that's the foundation. When deciding between making a radical dietary shift versus chelation - and assuming the chelation isn't medically necessary - I'd always opt to get the diet in place and get the system back to some visage of homeostasis before endeavoring to clear metals. Again, when you give the body what it needs, it tends to be pretty efficient at excreting what you'd like it to, although that's not to say chelation doesn't have value. It can be circular, in that lack of nutrients can inhibit detox, while the toxin can inhibit uptake of the nutrient.

AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:12 pm

Many here who have read through the thousands of posts collected over years understand that these topics are not so simple. So make a short story shorter, we are different, we are complicated.

Each person has different barriers to success, different challenges of detox.

Chelation is absolutely critical. Ignoring chelation is a huge mistake. The but/however part is, some are going to run into trouble, so posts like this are both useful and sometimes discouraging at the same time.

Some of the impediments are methylation, Lyme (as already mentioned above), mold toxins, but there's much more.

Most medical professionals will be of no use in these areas, unless you really do your research.

If you look/examine 100 different people you're going to get 100 different situations. I'm writing this to say, try not make many any presumptions over a single person's situation or as gospel.

We are own best critiques of how well something is working.

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Odysseus Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:52 pm

Depression and anxiety negate the very "chemicals" in your brain/body which make you feel good. If this cycle has been going on for a long period time, it's awfully tough for you/body to claw your way out of the hole.

Exercise, sunlight, grounding, various supplements; tried them all for a three year span. I was NOT going to take an a med for something which I could fix by attitude or willpower or fasting or. . . whatever.

Saw my Doctor (nice lady) ostensibly to get some quit-smoking aids. She took one look at me and, mentioned how "sad" I appeared, and I broke down and told her how I'd been feeling for so long.

She prescribed a med, it was too strong, tried another, fiddled with the dosage, and bingo, I've been fine for the last three years. Very productive, more responsive to family and friends.

The side effects: Occasional lack of sexual desire and the ability to watch dull, Victorian movies for hours.

Good luck.

Odysseus

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:41 pm

Yeah don't get on an anti depressent.. permanent SSRI side effects are real.. you really don't want to go down that route.

ray peat would tell you you don't have enough sugar in your diet which is causing your sugar to go low (obviously), and your body to increase stress hormones, leading your body to run on adrenaline, leading to all the problems your having now. your thyroid is probably stuck from this.

curezone would tell you that these are detox symptoms and you should drink plenty of water and salt in order to get over it.

this forum will tell you it's heavy metals and possibly a lack of iodine and a detox going on.

your MD will tell you you need to be prescribed an anti depressent or probably a thyroid med once you get the results.

your naturpath will tell you to get some kind of food anti body test to check for allergies and load up on some fish oil or vitamin D most likely and switch your diet up.

it's too bad health organizations are so wrapped up in prescriptions.. then we can actually get research to find the route cause of all this randomness that is out there so we can have real options about what to do. you're going to have to try a lot of things to figure it out. i would stop the extreme dieting though.. especially if you were fine before. take it step by step.. do one thing at a time and isolate.

also, start a journal. i recently started a google doc where i put in all foods i eat and everything i take and basically everything i do. i write the time, what i'm eating, and how i feel after. i have actually been able to find some interesting trends lately. i can update it on my cell phone and it updates everywhere automatically.. phone, computer, etc.
sanderson
sanderson

Back to top Go down

Post  ngb Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:28 am

sanderson wrote:Yeah don't get on an anti depressent.. permanent SSRI side effects are real.. you really don't want to go down that route.

What kind of permanent side effects are you talking about?

ngb

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:34 am

sanderson - Well stated.

Yes, there's a lot of options.

What is right for each of us requires some experimentation (naturally of course). Listen to your body.

Having said that, *knowing* exactly how to detox, specific areas in the body in the correct order, depending on individual circumstances can take a person right back to the beginning before they started to feel differently.

And certainly knowing how foods affect our moods is powerful, and which ones are most effective. Our gut microbiotia, how that affects our mood also.

Petrochemical/pharmaceutical poisons, ala SSRI's and other "Anti-depressants" have no basis in actually working. Instead, they fool you into thinking they are doing something 'good' because users feel horrible after they stop taking them.

Sometimes if they seek proper methylation will fix the problem, or trying something simple like niacinamide or lithium aspartate. These are quite inexpensive and instead of destroying the brain (yes anti-depressants do just that), they actually help extend your life.

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Odysseus Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:40 am

On the other hand, if you've felt like blowing your brains out for a couple of years, despite taking every herb,vitamin, diet, violet ray gun wand, chelation treatments, detox or whatever, you do what you gotta do. The shit saved my life.

Odysseus

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:45 am

Odysseus wrote:On the other hand, if you've felt like blowing your brains out for a couple of years, despite taking every herb,vitamin, diet, violet ray gun wand, chelation treatments, detox or whatever, you do what you gotta do. The shit saved my life.

Many of these shooters we hear about from the media who also take their own life, were usually taking some form of petrochemical anti-depressant or mood alternating substance not previously found on earth until they found false theories on brain chemistry to dupe the public into taking brain destroying petro chemicals.

Just try one of the two things I mentioned. Safer and easier.

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ngb Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:46 am

CausticSymmetry wrote:sanderson - Well stated.

Yes, there's a lot of options.

What is right for each of us requires some experimentation (naturally of course). Listen to your body.

Having said that, *knowing* exactly how to detox, specific areas in the body in the correct order, depending on individual circumstances can take a person right back to the beginning before they started to feel differently.

And certainly knowing how foods affect our moods is powerful, and which ones are most effective. Our gut microbiotia, how that affects our mood also.

Petrochemical/pharmaceutical poisons, ala SSRI's and other "Anti-depressants" have no basis in actually working. Instead, they fool you into thinking they are doing something 'good' because users feel horrible after they stop taking them.

Sometimes if they seek proper methylation will fix the problem, or trying something simple like niacinamide or lithium aspartate. These are quite inexpensive and instead of destroying the brain (yes anti-depressants do just that), they actually help extend your life.

Do you know how SSRI's work and why they are dangerous? These drugs are some of the highest selling drugs in the world and I know a lot of people on them. It's scary to think that they are doing something potentially harmful.

ngb

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:57 am

They alter the gut microbiota, which is essentially out "second brain." Many of the SSRI's not only raise diabetes risk and heart disease risks, they also elevate prolactin (that increases hair loss in men).

The hypothesis of chemical shortages such as serotonin are based on hypothesis that has never been proven. How our neurotransmitters work is far more complex. This is one some SSRI's can lead to suicide and feeling even more depressed.

Another take home message about them is they inhibit thyroid function. Often times is it the hypothalamic pituitary adrenal axis and the relationship of the thyroid that needs repair, and taking an SSRI just creates a further imbalance.

I've been in integrative medicine a long time now and I can say without any exaggeration that the medical industry is largely drive by profit, not by efficacy. They to not operate under the premise of causation, the revenue is best by driving patients to rely on medications perpetually.

Fortunately, there are those who operate under a real concern for human health, outside of the standard medical construct. The evidence in the medical literature is overwhelming. There are solutions to these problems, sadly just not taught to most physicians. Even if they were, they are also not taught how to treat these patients.

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  demgains77 Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:46 am

Thought I'd post a quick update, I don't have the energy to read the replies, I'm seeing SSRIs being mentioned. To clarify, I am not depressed or anxious about anything. I am pretty sure I was suffering from adrenal fatigue before getting a stomach infection which knocked me into an adrenal crisis (with the heavy metal chelation not helping the situation, obviously). I've basically been in bed crying since posting this(again not because I'm depressed about anything, but because the anxiety and depression is physically painful), I have no energy to get up, have slept about 5 hours in 10 days, my back pain has turned into full blown sciatica where I can't even sit down. I keep experiencing "attacks" of low blood sugar levels, where I get light headed, pains in my head, and torso, feel nauseous and my whole body goes weak and i get extremely thirsty.

The only thing that is helping is co enzyme A( helps the adrenals produce cortisol and aldosterone) and MACA, and drinking salt water and milk when I have one of these "attacks".  I went to A and E and they helped by telling me it's all in my head and gave me some valium to sleep, great. The valium got me to sleep for a couple of hours, then I woke up with one of these "attacks" and feeling even more tried/depressed/anxious. Which went away after taking Co enzyme a and maca . I read afterwards that valium lowers cortisol. So I'm pretty sure my body is just producing little to no cortisol. I'm booking an appointment with a private endocrinologist as soon as possible.

demgains77

Back to top Go down

Post  Odysseus Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:20 am

rdkml wrote:
ngb wrote:
Do you know how SSRI's work and why they are dangerous?

Benzodiazepines block serotonin from receptors while agitating GABA, more...
However even years after you stop Benzos at least some of those receptors may still be blocked, without the benefit of GABA. This is what makes Benzos so difficult to kick, much more difficult than any illegal drug btw.

The next step by our Psychopathic Medico Mafia where Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)… What a leap, to solve the problem of the body still producing some serotonin while the receptors are blocked these new drugs add another level of lunacy. They now block the production of serotonin and supply a fake chemical serotonin. This is known by those that understand the Mafiosi behavior as the “fake smile syndrome”, it certainly produces herds of sheople that have no will other than that supplied by their SSRI delivery system. With the addition of fluoridation to SSRIs we complete the cycle of dumping down the sheople into a lower life form, one really gets close to George Orwell after watching this unfold…Now both so these drugs have been developed to overcome a broken or at least deficient methylation cycle due to Mercury toxicity. But Mercury alone isn’t the culprit here; it is Taenia Crassiceps that creates the biofilm for Hg to bind to. All these raw materials are supplied in an MMR vaccine and that includes Taenia Crassiceps which is in at least half the MMR shots every year.These are complicated drugs, so the full solution is also complicated:

http://curezone.com/blogs/fm.asp?i=1597273

SSRI stories = http://www.ssristories.org/

Yes, I would stake my life, and those of my children, on the brilliant and vital information posted on curezone. Aren't they big on violet ray gun wands and zappers? Oh, and one time I had the "gout" and cured it with magnetism and eating three portions of spoilt goats milk for exactly 27 days, until it was time for the great pumpkin to appear. No problems. Stupid greedy doctors never told me that. . .

Odysseus

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:08 am

SSRI's are based on a hypothesis, much like many other drugs. They carry a black box warning for children--which translates to: "They should be banned, but someone is making too much money, so let's keep selling them with a warning label."

J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2008 Jun;29(3):213-5. doi: 10.1097/DBP.0b013e31817bd7c9.
Pediatric prescribing practices and the FDA Black-box warning on antidepressants.
Cheung A1, Sacks D, Dewa CS, Pong J, Levitt A.

BACKGROUND:
Since the FDA Black box warning in 2004, there has been a 58% drop in antidepressant use among children and adolescents with depression. Paralleling this decrease is an associated increase in completed suicides in youth. To date, no study has examined, on a clinician level, the changes in practice that have occurred subsequent to the FDA warning.
OBJECTIVE:
To examine changes in pediatrician clinical practice resulting from the FDA warning on antidepressants.
METHODS:
Subjects were recruited through a national program sponsored by the Canadian Pediatric Society that regularly surveys practicing pediatricians. The mail survey inquired about knowledge of the Black-box warning, whether their practice changed and reasons for changes in prescribing practices with antidepressants after the warning. We surveyed a total of 2395 pediatricians in Canada.
RESULTS:
Of the 1748 eligible pediatricians, 670 (38%) responded.Seventy-two percent (n = 484) of respondents were aware of the FDA warning. Of the 484 respondents who were aware of the warning, 80% (n = 386) changed their prescribing practices including 32% (n = 154) who followed their patients more closely. Seven percent (n = 35) stopped treatment with SSRIs in at least one patient. Physicians who had observed worsening depression/suicidality were more likely to discontinue treatment with SSRI's compared to those who had not observed these side effects previously (25% versus 6%, p < 0.001).
CONCLUSION:
This is the first national study to examine individual pediatrician practice changes in antidepressant use subsequent to the FDA warning. Further research is needed to better understand the reasons for these changes to aid in the development of strategies that could help clinicians to optimally integrate these warnings into clinical practice.

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:26 am

Acta Med Port. 2007 Mar-Apr;20(2):167-74. Epub 2007 Jun 11.
[Differences between SSRI's pharmacokinetics and pharmacodinamics].
[Article in Portuguese]
Telles-Correia D1, Guerreiro DF, Oliveira S, Figueira ML.

Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI) are nowadays the preferred treatment for patients with depression and anxiety disorders, when compared with traditional tricyclic antidepressants. All the SSRIs were designed to selectively potentiate serotonin [5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT)] activity through inhibition of the 5 -HT neuronal reuptake transporter. However, despite a common mode of proven antidepressant efficacy and a similar range of indications, each SSRI has individual properties, not only pharmacodinamics, but also pharmacokinetics, which contributes for different pattern of clinical indications, side effects and interactions. The authors pretended to review the differences between each SSRI, in terms of metabolism and clinical goals. They analyzed several studies published in the last years, obtained through MedLine research. The authors describe how the unique secondary binding properties of each SSRI account for clinical significant differences in tolerability and side-effects profiles, particularly in some patients. Secondary properties within the class of SSRIs include some combinations of actions at noradrenergic, dopaminergic, muscarinic, cholinergic, histaminergic and sigma receptors. In addition, most SSRI inhibit al least one of the cytochrome P450 enzymes, resulting in potential pharmacokinetics interactions with co-prescribed drugs.

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down