Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
What, exactly is wrong with dutasteride? EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
What, exactly is wrong with dutasteride? EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
What, exactly is wrong with dutasteride? EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
What, exactly is wrong with dutasteride? EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
What, exactly is wrong with dutasteride? EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
What, exactly is wrong with dutasteride? EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
What, exactly is wrong with dutasteride? EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
What, exactly is wrong with dutasteride? EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
What, exactly is wrong with dutasteride? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

What, exactly is wrong with dutasteride?

3 posters

Go down

What, exactly is wrong with dutasteride? Empty What, exactly is wrong with dutasteride?

Post  ataman Tue May 26, 2009 8:12 am

I've been on dut for a while now, and am currently trying to come off it (seperate thread) to hopefully have kids next year.

Before I decided to stop I did a fair bit of research into this drug - and could find almost nothing negative at all about it. In fact, there were a lot of good studies showing it may protect against prostate issues. Now I know that the influence of big pharma reaches far and wide, but I don't understand why there is so little negative out there.

So my question is, what, exactly is wrong with taking dutasteride for hair loss?

ataman

Back to top Go down

What, exactly is wrong with dutasteride? Empty Re: What, exactly is wrong with dutasteride?

Post  CausticSymmetry Tue May 26, 2009 9:07 am

ataman - I don't think Dutasteride (or Finasteride) would be so bad if it were limited to a liposomal topical. In fact at least one study shows this to be more effective than systemic use.

There are a lot more studies on Finasteride and for reasons unknown one Dutasteride trial was cut short. Does anybody know why?

In the finasteride studies, it is shown that it use increases anxiety and depression. So there is question if the same effects would apply to Dustateride and it would seem logical, but so far nothing has been reported in the medical literature.
However, it has been reported by users of Dutasteride.

Other than other obvious negatives which are decreased libido, erectile dysfunction, ejaculation disorders and gynecomastia--there maybe potential long term effects that these studies have not evaluated such as neurodegenerative disorders. For example there is evidence to suggest this is a concern as it can affect acetylcholine and other neurotransmitters.

Additionally, while Finasteride and now Dutasteride are being looked at as potentially reducing the risk of prostate cancers what is not mentioned is that in some of these men the prostate cancer risk can become more aggressive in these users. This is believed to be cause by a steep reduction in DHT resulting in a decrease of androstanediol. Androstanediol is anti-carcinogenic.

The only way to allow Fin or Dut to work for prostate cancer prevention is only if androstanediol levels are checked. Chances are that since Dut is much stronger than Fin, I can only assume there will be even less protective androstanediol available.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

What, exactly is wrong with dutasteride? Empty Re: What, exactly is wrong with dutasteride?

Post  ataman Thu May 28, 2009 5:18 am

CS - Thanks for that, appreciate it.

I have another couple questions for you...

You mention dut may be OK as an effective topical? Have you heard of anyone using this successfully?

Secondly, your 'top 6' recommends 3000mg of ACL per day. This seems extraordinarily high (Ray Sahelian recommends about 400mg maximum). Is 3g of this stuff daily safe in the long term?

Finally, I've read some scary stuff about DMSO. Again, is this safe to use topically in the long term?

Thanks mate.

To answer your question, from what I've read the dut phase 3 trials were cut short most likely for financial reasons (can't remember where I read this but it was from from a hair-loss doctor of some sort). Apparently the demand for Propecia has not been as great as expected, so bringing another, slightly more effective drug to market probably didn't make sense.

Current cost of hopeful molecule > market is around US 1 billion (I work for a drugs co.). Dut was already developed for BPH, but gaining approval & marketing for MPB would still be hugely expensive.

ataman

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Thu May 28, 2009 6:20 am

ataman - Unfortunately I have not heard any feedback on it. At one time a company was offering topical Fin & Dut for sale until the FDA told them to stop.

Is this amount of Acetyl L-carnitine safe? The short answer is yes.

I find that Ray Sahelian is very conservative. I've worked at a clinic that would make him fall over and faint if he saw how much of various things we used to treat patients with. 1,000 mg of ALC per meal taken with stabilized R-lipoic acid (or higher amounts of alpha lipoic acid) are amazing protection against mitochondrial DNA insults. Additionally, lipoic acid makes acetyl L-carnitine safer.

Lastly, I've been taking this for years and it's evident to me as well as the research that it's not only safe, it will extend life and keep a person younger for a lot longer.

DMSO has been given a bad rap but for no good reason. The only consideration about DMSO is how it should be used. For instance, never use an undiluted form of DMSO. I use 99% DMSO only because I place a teaspoon or two into an 8 oz. bottle of other liquid. Anything above 70% DMSO could be a solvent if used undiluted. The FDA has over exaggerated about DMSO I think. Know that DMSO is still being used as an IV treatment for interstitial cystitis--the only FDA approved use of it. Kind of ironic, but I think their limited use of it pertains to other competition. DMSO is often used topically for arthritic conditions in a concentration usually around 30 to 70%.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  ataman Thu May 28, 2009 8:52 am

Nice one. I'm going to order some ALC + ALA, as much for the mental clarity as effects on hair.

The only place I can find offering topical dut is http://www.samsontherapeutics.com/products.html
The product sounds good but isn't available in the UK (and is expensive). I do find it odd that after all these years of dut capsules being available orally, there is still only 1 topical available to buy commercially. I think Dr. Lee now offers topical finasteride.

ataman

Back to top Go down

Post  zigzagzen Thu May 28, 2009 10:25 am

2 questions related to this discussion:

1) which would be best as a anti-androgen topical: finasteride, dut, other ? PM maybe ?

2) why is the ALC/ALA combo (Propel), sold as a sexual function enhancement product ? will it increase libido or what ?

Thanks.

zigzagzen

Back to top Go down

Post  ataman Sun May 31, 2009 8:58 am

Hi mate,

1.) There seems to be very little info out there on topical dut (strangely). Topical fin seems to be better and is now sold by Dr. Lee. PM I'm not sure, but CS seems to think highly of it.

2.) Apparently these do increase libido for some folk...but I think if that is your aim there are more effective things out there.

ataman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down