Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
hair regrowth after ssri? EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
hair regrowth after ssri? EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
hair regrowth after ssri? EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
hair regrowth after ssri? EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
hair regrowth after ssri? EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
hair regrowth after ssri? EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
hair regrowth after ssri? EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
hair regrowth after ssri? EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
hair regrowth after ssri? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

hair regrowth after ssri?

3 posters

Go down

hair regrowth after ssri? Empty hair regrowth after ssri?

Post  gel Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:58 am

I need some input guys. I've been off ssri/zoloft for three months now. The whole time I was balding (for a few years) I was on these meds but my doctor told me it probably wasn't the cause of my hair loss. I think I'm starting to see some hair regrowth. The only other thing I've done recently is I tried cutting out all gluten from my diet and taking acv.. but it's only been like 2 weeks off gluten. So do you guys think if I'm regrowing hair, its probably being off the meds finally? If it really is cutting out gluten, wouldn't it take longer than 2 weeks to see results?

gel

Back to top Go down

hair regrowth after ssri? Empty Re: hair regrowth after ssri?

Post  alphadelta Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:37 am

gel wrote:I need some input guys. I've been off ssri/zoloft for three months now. The whole time I was balding (for a few years) I was on these meds but my doctor told me it probably wasn't the cause of my hair loss. I think I'm starting to see some hair regrowth. The only other thing I've done recently is I tried cutting out all gluten from my diet and taking acv.. but it's only been like 2 weeks off gluten. So do you guys think if I'm regrowing hair, its probably being off the meds finally? If it really is cutting out gluten, wouldn't it take longer than 2 weeks to see results?
had a quick look through google scholar and there may be an association with the ssri

Alopecia associated with treatment with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)
Abstract
Purpose
To study the association between alopecia and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) by estimating reporting rates and by making association comparisons within databases of adverse drug reactions (ADRs).

Methods
All reports of alopecia with marketed SSRIs until the end of 2004 were identified in SWEDIS, the national Swedish database for spontaneously reported ADRs, and in Vigibase, the international ADR database of the World Health Organization. Total SSRI sales volumes in Sweden until the end of 2004 were obtained from the National Corporation of Swedish Pharmacies. The Bayes' Confidence Propagation Neural Network (BCPNN) method was used to estimate associations between alopecia and each of the SSRIs within the two databases.

Results
A total of 27 reports of alopecia were identified in SWEDIS. As two reports concerned the use of two SSRIs, there was a total of 29 drug-ADR combinations. All except three reports concerned women (88.9%). The reporting rate of alopecia in Sweden was significantly higher with sertraline compared with citalopram; 20.1 (95%CI 10.7–34.4) reports per million patient-years versus 4.5 (95%CI 1.8–9.3) reports per million patient-years. No significant differences in reporting rates were noted for the remaining SSRIs. Sertraline also showed a statistically significant association with alopecia in both SWEDIS and Vigibase. Citalopram was significantly associated with alopecia in Vigibase, but not in SWEDIS. No statistically significant associations were found for any of the other SSRIs.

Conclusions
Alopecia appears to be a rare ADR to SSRIs. The risk of alopecia seems to vary between the different SSRIs, and might be higher in women than in men

A Case Report of Fluoxetine- and Venlafaxine-Induced Hair Loss

Sir: We report on a woman with generalized anxiety disorder who complained of hair loss during treatment with fluoxetine as well as during subsequent treatment with venlafaxine.

Case report. Ms. A, a 49-year-old woman, had been diagnosed with DSM-IV generalized anxiety disorder. She did not fulfill DSM-IV criteria for any other Axis I or personality disorder. She suffered from osteopenia and bursitis, but was otherwise medically healthy during the time of treatment for generalized anxiety disorder. Her medications during the course of treatment were alendronate, 70 mg weekly, and ibuprofen, 800 mg p.r.n. for pain. Her primary care provider initiated therapy with fluoxetine, 20 mg/day, and within 3 months, Ms. A achieved almost complete remission of anxiety symptoms. She noted some tinnitus and slight hair loss within the first 3 months of starting treatment with fluoxetine 20 mg, and subsequently the dose was reduced to 10 mg, with improvement in tinnitus but no improvement in hair loss.

Ms. A continued taking fluoxetine, 10 mg/day, for over a year until she felt that her hair loss was becoming intolerable. She reported no longer having to shave her legs or axillary areas in addition to the continued loss of scalp hair. She eventually became concerned enough to stop treatment completely. Four weeks after stopping fluoxetine treatment, Ms. A's hair loss ceased and her hair returned to normal thickness. Six weeks after stopping fluoxetine treatment, Ms. A was prescribed venlafaxine, 50 mg/day, by her gynecologist and referred to a psychiatrist. Within 1 week, the patient's hair loss recurred, and she stopped taking venlafaxine. On initial assessment by a psychiatrist 2 weeks after stopping venlafaxine treatment, Ms. A reported renewed hair growth. At this point, it was decided to start Ms. A on treatment with lorazepam, 0.5 mg b.i.d., due to her inability to tolerate a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) or serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor.

Our patient had never experienced hair loss before and had no history of endocrine illness. Her past medical history was significant for cervical cancer treated with radiation therapy in 1978 without recurrence. The SSRIs fluoxetine,1,2 sertra-line,3 and paroxetine4 have been reported to cause hair loss in a very small minority of patients. To our knowledge, there has been only 1 report of hair loss associated with venlafaxine therapy,5 and ours is the first report of hair loss with both fluoxetine and venlafaxine.

so i guess it is possible

alphadelta

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:52 pm

SSRI's increase prolactin (in men this can trigger hair loss), and these drugs also suppress the thyroid.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down