Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
IH, Happy Thanksgiving 2013! EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
IH, Happy Thanksgiving 2013! EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
IH, Happy Thanksgiving 2013! EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
IH, Happy Thanksgiving 2013! EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
IH, Happy Thanksgiving 2013! EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
IH, Happy Thanksgiving 2013! EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
IH, Happy Thanksgiving 2013! EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
IH, Happy Thanksgiving 2013! EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
IH, Happy Thanksgiving 2013! EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

IH, Happy Thanksgiving 2013!

+3
Xenon
CF
AS54
7 posters

Go down

IH, Happy Thanksgiving 2013! Empty IH, Happy Thanksgiving 2013!

Post  AS54 Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:12 am

Here in the US we're celebrating thanksgiving. Just wanted to say thanks to everybody here at the forum.

It might sound cheesy, but I am grateful for the community here. I was thinking about it earlier today and realized this forum has kind of changed my life. I was going into business. All of the great posters here who inspired me to do research honestly revitalized my interest in health and the sciences. Its why I'm back in school and trying to go into medicine. So IH had a huge part in a decision I made to change my whole life path. Pretty cool.

So again, happy thanksgiving, and thanks to all the people here, especially those who shake up my routine ways of thinking.

And this goes for you Canadians too. Go enjoy the day, your families, and dat bird.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

IH, Happy Thanksgiving 2013! Empty Re: IH, Happy Thanksgiving 2013!

Post  CF Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:21 am

Thanks, AS!

I'm from Canada but to me this is the real Thanksgiving. (But hey, I want to become American so go figure!)

CF

Back to top Go down

Post  Xenon Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:25 am

AS54 did you quit smoking? Three weeks for me now. It was incredibly easy this time around. I hardly even got any cravings either.
Xenon
Xenon

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:29 am

Nope not yet. Here's lookin to the new year! Haha.

Congrats and good for you though, man. That's a tough nut to crack, and glad to hear you had an easier go of it this time 'round. The return on investment is huge, if only I could think of it in those terms Mad .
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  Zaphod Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:35 am

Happy celebration for all of you, who celebrate this day. Enjoy it!

It's ordinary day here, so i better go back to work, lol...Smile

Zaphod

Back to top Go down

Post  Xenon Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:41 am

Yeh, thanks. I feel better already. If it's of any benefit to you, I chain smoked throughout the week before giving up, and this made me feel very nauseous and I didn't want to look at another cig again (not at that point anyway). This was the kick in the ass I needed to break the habit, and it worked very well. I got the odd craving during the first week, but it was nothing overpowering at all.

Anyway, sorry for hijacking your thanksgiving thread LOL
Xenon
Xenon

Back to top Go down

Post  Vince Clortho Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:43 am

Why quit every smoker I know has a great head of hair and great physiques it seems there is some sort of anti- estrogenic pro testosterone effect from smoking idk mabye the hormonal profile of a smoker from the start favors T/E that's why they choose a risky behavior in the first place.
Vince Clortho
Vince Clortho

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:56 am

Thanksgiving thread is tobacco thread. Surprised
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  lamka Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:28 am

Vince Clortho wrote:Why quit every smoker I know has a great head of hair and great physiques it seems there is some sort of anti- estrogenic pro testosterone effect from smoking idk mabye the hormonal profile of a smoker from the start favors T/E that's why they choose a risky behavior in the first place.
Yes, I noticed this fact too. I am really interested in this "bad! habit. I wonder how is it possible that smokers have usually full head of hair and great physique. It is worth to create a new thread.
However, this is offtopic, so sorry for this. BTW. Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

lamka

Back to top Go down

Post  rofl Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:21 am

In physiology, with COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,such as early emphysema sufferers (who dont know it yet))and chest infection sufferers (bronchitis theres what are called pink puffers, and blue bloaters.  i pasted a definition below, but basically the pink puffers are muscular, because of all the work the chest muscles have to do to breath.  its like a workout.  the blue bloaters have a barrel chest.

"pink puffer" is a person where emphysema is the primary underlying pathology. As you recall, emphysema results from destruction of the airways distal to the terminal bronchiole--which also includes the gradual destruction of the pulmonary capillary bed and thus decreased inability to oxygenate the blood.  So, not only is there less surface area for gas exchange, there is also less vascular bed for gas exchange--but less ventilation-perfusion mismatch than blue bloaters.  The body then has to compensate by hyperventilation (the "puffer" part).  Their arterial blood gases (ABGs) actually are relatively normal because of this compensatory hyperventilation.  Eventually, because of the low cardiac output, people afflicted with this disease develop muscle wasting and weight loss.  They actually have less hypoxemia (compared to blue bloaters) and appear to have a "pink" complexion and hence "pink puffer".  Some of the pink appearance may also be due to the work (use of neck and chest muscles) these folks put into just drawing a breath.

A "blue bloater" is a person where the primary underlying lung pathology is chronic bronchitis. Just a reminder, chronic bronchitis is caused by excessive mucus production with airway obstruction resulting from hyperplasia of mucus-producing glands, goblet cell metaplasia, and chronic inflammation around bronchi.  Unlike emphysema, the pulmonary capillary bed is undamaged. Instead, the body responds to the increased obstruction by decreasing ventilation and increasing cardiac output. There is a dreadful ventilation to perfusion mismatch leading to hypoxemia and polycythemia.  In addition, they also have increased carbon dioxide retention (hypercapnia).  Because of increasing obstruction, their residual lung volume gradually increases (the "bloating" part).  They are hypoxemic/cyanotic because they actually have worse hypoxemia than pink puffers and this manifests as bluish lips and faces--the "blue" part.

once u know and understand this, pay attention to smokers, u can usually tell which way they are heading. are they pink, skinny and muscular?, or are they bloated and blue. personally when i was a smoker, i was headed for being a blue bloater, and i had many bouts of bronchitis, which i told myself was from other things but i was in denial.

im smoke free now, but hooked on NRT which can cause major hairloss apparently, so im not sure if im better off but anyway.
rofl
rofl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down