Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
We criticize the FDA for not being cautious enough, but consider these scary words EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
We criticize the FDA for not being cautious enough, but consider these scary words EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
We criticize the FDA for not being cautious enough, but consider these scary words EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
We criticize the FDA for not being cautious enough, but consider these scary words EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
We criticize the FDA for not being cautious enough, but consider these scary words EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
We criticize the FDA for not being cautious enough, but consider these scary words EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
We criticize the FDA for not being cautious enough, but consider these scary words EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
We criticize the FDA for not being cautious enough, but consider these scary words EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
We criticize the FDA for not being cautious enough, but consider these scary words EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

We criticize the FDA for not being cautious enough, but consider these scary words

4 posters

Go down

We criticize the FDA for not being cautious enough, but consider these scary words Empty We criticize the FDA for not being cautious enough, but consider these scary words

Post  whodathunkit Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:51 am

"Aspirin side effects kill about a thousand people a year in the US. If aspirin were a new drug, it would have a tough time getting approved by the FDA and would only be available by prescription."

From Dr. Leo Galland on HuffPo blog. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/leo-galland-md/aspirin-and-vitamin-c-tog_b_529058.html

I don't know anything about Galland or his work. I'm just posting these words as food for thought. Personally, as a consumer I want more choices, not fewer, and don't appreciate the bureaucratic gatekeepers who more often than not don't have as much sense as I do. I also don't appreciate that FDA is frequently in the pocket of big pharma. WTF are we supposed to do?

whodathunkit

Back to top Go down

We criticize the FDA for not being cautious enough, but consider these scary words Empty Re: We criticize the FDA for not being cautious enough, but consider these scary words

Post  Hoppipolla Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:23 pm

I think it's ok in moderation... but it apparently reduces mucus in the stomach and intestines and that which leaves them more vulnerable.
Hoppipolla
Hoppipolla

http://www.hoppimike.com

Back to top Go down

We criticize the FDA for not being cautious enough, but consider these scary words Empty Re: We criticize the FDA for not being cautious enough, but consider these scary words

Post  DeadlyDevice Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:18 pm

I prefer not to mess with it.

DeadlyDevice

Back to top Go down

Post  whodathunkit Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:32 am

Good lord. This post was about the sad and ridiculous fact that aspirin probably wouldn't be approved in the U.S. (if in any other country) in today's creepy, capricious bureaucratic climate. It was *not* about the relative merits of aspirin. Never mind.

whodathunkit

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:35 am

For me, its less about a genuine concern for human health on the part of the FDA, and more about guarding the market share/profit margin for big pharma's pain medications. There is a huge bureaucratic drug cartel operating in this country. I just heard a report yesterday morning that focused on women, saying that over 400,000 women died from prescription pain med related deaths last year. That is a ridiculous figure. There isn't another category of drug out there that accounts for numbers like that. I'm not sure but probably even in the illegal drug trade with residual deaths related to the trafficking itself and not the use. But since guys in white lab coats with medical degrees are slinging the dope, we treat it completely differently. But they are handed out like gold stars in an elementary school, you need almost nothing other than a report of pain and you'll be handed a scrip for very powerful, addictive drugs. I can't imagine the amount of revenue being generated through this sanctioned, subsidized cartel.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  whodathunkit Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:58 am

Anthony, I understand where you're coming from.  I am no fan of big pharma myself, and typically reject the use of pharmaceuticals.

But in the case of pain meds, we *need* those drugs.  They frequently play an important part in the healing process.  

However, since this big clampdown on controlled pharma substances I have had two friends who have had surgery recently tell me they were underprescribed pain medication during convalescence and had to do some severe suffering, or resort to OD-ing on acetomenaphin(sp?), which is infinitely worse on your liver than any pain med.  Their doctors simply would not prescribe them more drugs because of new regulations, dangers of "addiction" (from a 10 day 'scrip, yeah right Rolling Eyes), etc.

I also am suspicious that those figures quoted in your article were cooked a bit.  Whatever activist organization or government agency with an agenda to push will do that, with a demographic likely to get a lot of attention.   In this case it's women dying from prescription drugs, which, they always resort to women if they can't use children.  But if they could get away with it I'm sure we would be hearing that hundreds of thousands of tiny tots die every year from prescription drugs because the kids thought they were candy or whatever.

Further, because I'm feeling contrary today, I'll throw this out there:  It's not the fault of the pharmaceutical industry that people become addicted to drugs that in many instances do a great deal of good.  IT IS THE FAULT OF THE PEOPLE TAKING THE DRUGS.  I am an addict.  I know what it's like.  My own personal addiction problems are also how I know that as long as there are "compassionate" people who blame the pharmaceutical industry for the problem of addiction rather than put the blame squarely where it belongs (on the people taking the drugs), then the addicts are going to keep on being really happy campers, and they'll get something from somewhere to keep them going.  All they need is an excuse to not take responsibility for their own behavior, and they get handed that on a silver platter by people who think like you.

Not slamming you personally, BTW. Love your posts. I love you  I hope you know what I mean.  

Anyway, taking the drugs away and putting big pharma out of business won't cure the addiction problem.  But it will harm an entire class of law-abiding people like my friends (and maybe even you and I, one day) who can't get useful, necessary drugs when they need them, because of the behavior of an irresponsible minority.

whodathunkit

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:33 am

Haha. You slammed me too hard.

I agree with a ton of what you said. The FDA being too liberal is just as bad as the FDA being too conservative. The ambivalence is concerning. I do agree with the usefulness of pain medication, and more than likely the FDA is regulating use in the wrong places. The surgery aspect was a good example. My brother recently went through surgery, and absolutely, if he had not been given enough pain medication it would have made recovery difficult. There's no sense in being too strict in that sense. It has more to do with physicians being too quick to prescribe things like vicadin for someone who complains of frequent headaches. Instead of trying to figure out the problem, it becomes let's just give you something to get by, and that thing is going to be fairly likely to hook you with long term use. I probably have a more sensitive perspective to this because that exact situation happened to my mother and it ruined her life.

The addiction part of it, like you said, is a two party engagement. Obviously there is a physiologic and psychological component to addiction. On one hand, you could tell someone, "Hey, it ultimately your choice" and you would be absolutely right. But as an addict myself, you and I both know that we aren't operating with the same thought patterns as a person who hasn't allowed themselves to become addicts. Our brain chemistry is altered and favors that addictive pathway. Is it our fault? Yep. But at the same time our brains are hijacked by a very powerful machine. So in some sense, the enablers are just as much to blame as the addicts. People who play off of that drive are part of the problem. But again, my opinion on prescription pain meds is probably biased being the way its effected my family's life. Someone who hasn't had that experience will bring a totally different perspective.

Can we fully blame McDonalds for making the food they do? Well at some point it becomes the choice of each person whether or not they eat there. But the drive to eat fatty, sugary foods is a powerful evolutionary impetus. Putting that in front of someone literally alters the way they are thinking. So I do believe some people are more susceptible than others to different triggers.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  whodathunkit Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:50 am

anthonyspencer54 wrote:It has more to do with physicians being too quick to prescribe things like vicadin for someone who complains of frequent headaches. Instead of trying to figure out the problem, it becomes let's just give you something to get by, and that thing is going to be fairly likely to hook you with long term use. I probably have a more sensitive perspective to this because that exact situation happened to my mother and it ruined her life.

I'm really sorry to hear about your mom. I totally agree when there's culpability in the case of pain meds, it's probably lazy doctors and not big pharma.

Funny you mention McDonald's because that kind of food is my own personal beast. I've kicked all my other addictions, leaving me with junk food, which up until recently seemed to be winning the war for my health. Interestingly, though, I've been doing Ray Peat for about a week, and this is the first time in a long time I've not craved a cheeseburger and fries every day. After the first couple days cravings went away. Hard to say if it will stay that way, but for right now, I'm lovin' it (pun intended). har Laughing

Also interestingly, my blood sugar is *down*, reliably. Last four days in a row. I have fairly stubborn insulin resistance, so it's not normal yet, but what with eating ice cream right before turning in and drastically increased fructose throughout the day, according to conventional wisdom you would expect my fasting levels to be higher in the morning. Absolutely not the case.

whodathunkit

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down