Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Penguin Cold Cap EmptyToday at 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Penguin Cold Cap EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Penguin Cold Cap EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Penguin Cold Cap EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Penguin Cold Cap EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Penguin Cold Cap EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Penguin Cold Cap EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Penguin Cold Cap EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Penguin Cold Cap EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Penguin Cold Cap

5 posters

Go down

Penguin Cold Cap Empty Penguin Cold Cap

Post  sanderson Fri May 03, 2013 12:19 pm

This seems to be strictly targeted at those who are going through chemotherapy. This probably can't be helpful to us as we know low oxygen is a probable cause of hair loss, whereas this takes away blood flow. But makes sense for women going through chemo. Thought you guys would find this interesting.

http://penguincoldcaps.com/how-it-works/

This innovative Penguin Cold Caps reduces chemotherapy induced alopecia (hair loss) by cooling the hair capillaries and reducing the metabolic rate of the hair follicles to a hibernated state, preventing the absorption of chemotherapeutic drugs into the hair bulbs of the scalp.

CAP INFORMATION
> Penguin Cold Caps are made with medical grade hypo-allergenic plastics on the underside of the cap and have a blue nylon covering. Inside the Cap is a special formulated crylon gel (see cross section drawing below).

> All materials used in the manufacture of the Penguin Cold Caps are approved by the FDA in the USA.

> The Penguin Caps are made to hospital standards, non-toxic, hypo-allergenic, and can be disinfected.

> The Penguin Cold Caps are robust yet soft and pliable at extremely cold temperatures. They weigh approximately 3Lbs (1.5Kgs).

> Using Velcro fasteners the Penguin Cold Caps can be adjusted to fit all size of heads, and for people with extra thick hair elastic straps are provided to ensure the Penguin Cap is tight fitting to the scalp.

> Research has shown, in excess of 95% of all patients who have used the Penguin Cold Caps would use them again.

> Wearing the Penguin Caps does not restrict the mobility of the user.

> Each Penguin Cold Cap can be applied in 10 to 15 seconds. The hair remains dry.

Penguin Cold Cap Material_img1
sanderson
sanderson

Back to top Go down

Penguin Cold Cap Empty Re: Penguin Cold Cap

Post  OverMachoGrande Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:34 am

I was chatting with Immortal about these, and I thought that there was a thread with a lot of discussion on these "ice helmets", but I couldn't find it after a couple of tries --so I'm either blind or deaf!

I actually looked into these heavily a few years ago. Not initially for HAIR LOSS, but actually for INSOMNIA. I'm a lifelong insomniac, and I swear I'd probably be a millionaire or something if I could actually get a good night's sleep and wake up in the morning early! Ha ha! I just get too "wired" around bedtime, almost every single night. It can really wreck your life!

Long story short, your brain has to cool down a little before you can sleep, and this seemed like something to try. [...but I got sidetracked, and also I was always concerned about freezer space.]

Of course, I thought about benefits for hair loss, too. I remembered back to those same chemotherapy studies done that Sanderson is talking about, and I thought really hard on it, and came to the conclusion that there is a chance that these could help most of us.

I know that there is a good chance I could be wrong on my "logic" here, but researchers and scientists are usually wrong the first time out in determining the mechanism for how/why something works. So, we all understand that yes, it DOES appear to work, but maybe it's not functioning exactly as they stated. Maybe it's not just closing off the bloodflow to block the chemotherapy chemicals -maybe it's doing something broader that we might all benefit from.

I came up with some grand theory that maybe the ice radically reduces the inflammation, and even though you are only using it like a 1/2 hour in a 24 hour day, maybe there is a "reboot" period that has to occur before the underlying problems can cause the inflammation again. Maybe it would take many hours to get back to that "inflamed state", in which case, there WOULD BE a benefit. I also could see how this WOULD NOT stimulate tissue, so it could be used in tandem with laser therapy on "off days" (or at a different time of day).

I did a survival course years and years ago where we were on freezing rivers for weeks (it was out west in the spring, so the weather was sunny but the water was practically liquid ice), and I remember how great my head felt that entire time. Then, I remembered Mastery talking about his experiences of going out into the Pacific Ocean every morning around Oregon and freezing his ass off, but saying how greatly it benefited hair --and I wondered at the time if it was the cold as well as the ocean itself.

So, anyway, that's my logic, and I could be wrong. No idea if it'd actually work and it might be a waste of time and money, but I know even back a couple of years ago there was already a plethora of supercheap ones on the market, so I'd assume it's the same way now. I might pick one up. Especially since --and I know there has been talk about this-- there is a chance that long term high heat could start to damage the follicles, and I'm using a portable far-infrared sauna quite a bit (and love it). In my opinion, it'd be worth trying.

The FIR Saunas are bad ass, by the way. Don't know how I went so long without one.

-O.M.G.
OverMachoGrande
OverMachoGrande

http://www.overmachogrande.com

Back to top Go down

Post  OverMachoGrande Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:53 am

By the way, this should remind any long time poster of what we had to go through with posting in hair loss forums years ago that were controlled by more nefarious people:
http://csn.cancer.org/node/214610

You've got people talking about how their oncologists tell them that flat-out the Penguin Caps DO NOT WORK, so just ignore them. However, you've got people in there with first hand and second hand experience saying that Penguin Caps DO WORK.

Once again, healthcare professionals seemingly not having the best information at their fingertips (and possibly even being bad custodians of our health), and certain forum members readily parroting what these healthcare professionals have said. Makes me cringe. Just my opinion, of course. bounce

-O.M.G.
OverMachoGrande
OverMachoGrande

http://www.overmachogrande.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:33 pm

Hey OMG,

I didn't see any links per se, I was searching for some. Ultimately figured that something out of the freezer (works pretty well after just a short period of time).

I saw some products that were designed to keep things cold (some type of hypothermal material).

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Zaphod Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:46 pm

I've tried cold therapy with putting cooling gel bag on my head several times. I think it's great for blood flow. I'd had to do it more often to call a vote for a hair loss if it does anything. I'd say it's pro hair as cold shower is, however...

For insomnia, there are better options with pulsed magnetic supplementation, with lower frequencies (f<4hz), imo.

Zaphod

Back to top Go down

Post  Xenon Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:48 am

I came up with some grand theory that maybe the ice radically reduces the inflammation

Yes, this is true, hence the reason very cold water is used to lower inflammation in burns, as it constricts the amount of h2 histamine.

H2 histamine causes arteriole dilation, yet constricts venules -- the small vessels responsible for transporting waste C02 gases and toxins into the veins. When venules remain in a state of contraction, these waste byproducts become trapped in cells -- further inflammation results.

But if cells are exposed to cold for too long, then arterioles suffer vasoconstriction, and oxygen cannot reach them. Cells start to then produce higher lactic acid, which is synonymous with increased inflammation.

Too much of a low temperature can act as an antagonist to Adenosine -- a primary vasodilator, which allows blood to reach cells. Another chief antagonist of Adenosine is caffeine. Consuming too much caffeine can cause vasoconstriction of capillaries, and none moreso than the scalp because it is tighter than everywhere else upon the body.

Xenon
Xenon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down