Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
SHBG revisited...CS and others please chime in.. EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
SHBG revisited...CS and others please chime in.. EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
SHBG revisited...CS and others please chime in.. EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
SHBG revisited...CS and others please chime in.. EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
SHBG revisited...CS and others please chime in.. EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
SHBG revisited...CS and others please chime in.. EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
SHBG revisited...CS and others please chime in.. EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
SHBG revisited...CS and others please chime in.. EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
SHBG revisited...CS and others please chime in.. EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

SHBG revisited...CS and others please chime in..

+2
AS54
RobHealthMan
6 posters

Go down

SHBG revisited...CS and others please chime in.. Empty SHBG revisited...CS and others please chime in..

Post  RobHealthMan Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:00 pm

Hi CS and other experts...

SHBG is confusing to me. I get conflicting information. Ok here it goes:

1. SHBG at higher levels is GOOD since it will 'bound' more free-Testosterone and therefore less can become DHT that hurts hair.
2. Then i read that SHBG is better at LOWER levels because free-T is really what counts not overall T. And if there is less SHBG, then there is MORE free T, so a much better T to Estrodial ratio and this is better for overall health and hair??!

3. then the AGE issue. I'm 42 yrs old. i read that SHBG naturally gets higher as we age but how does this all relate back?

Its all very confusing and i appreciate CS and experts chiming on OPTIMAL and BEST SHBG levels for someone over age 40....

thanks again!

RobHealthMan

Back to top Go down

SHBG revisited...CS and others please chime in.. Empty Re: SHBG revisited...CS and others please chime in..

Post  AS54 Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:18 am

You are touching on different forms of hair loss. As a young person with hairloss you'd like your SHBG to be higher, there is too high of a fraction of testosterone that is unbound. At the same time, a high fraction of free T can offer its own benefits in terms of masculinizing effects, and its metabolite DHT is the most masculinizing hormone.

As you age the level of SHBG rises because of increasing estrogen levels. So hair loss at these ages cannot correlate with increasing testosterone, but must be the result of low T and a disproportionate amount of estrogen. This type of hairloss is the type that confuses me the most.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

SHBG revisited...CS and others please chime in.. Empty confusing....

Post  RobHealthMan Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:49 am

thanks anthony! yes, its very confusing to me....

I know CS says that DHT isnt really that much of a factor for hair loss as we get older, im assuming he means 40+ age....

RobHealthMan

Back to top Go down

SHBG revisited...CS and others please chime in.. Empty Re: SHBG revisited...CS and others please chime in..

Post  CausticSymmetry Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:49 am

Regarding SHBG...Low thyroid function (which is typically not acknowledged by testing, since the 'gold standard' fails to reveal an accurate metabolic currency in the cell) is typically responsible for a low SHBG. One of the benefits from iodine, minerals, etc is that it will help normalize SHBG levels.

So yes, at a young age, SHBG is the culprit, and all that free testosterone is going to convert into DHT.

At older ages as estrogen increases, SHBG increases, yet that isn't so good either, since there will be less
testosterone that desired...so there is a happy medium. Getting rid of excess estrogen will keep this in check
along with preventing the thyroid from getting hammered. Estrogen inhibits thyroid function and that issue is quite
confusion to many also, because some types of estrogen are good and some are bad...it's the receptor expressions
that count. "Good" and "Bad" estrogen can be good for hair, but not exactly good for libido, breast sides and other factors.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  san te Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:51 pm

this subject interests me as well. I remember before I got off avodart my serum test levels were at 1251 ng/dL and SHBG was at 42 nmol/L resulting in my bioavailable test being at about 359.8 ng/dL. i was suffering from sever aggression and brain fog but really no other sides. when i stopped avodart my levels plummeted and I think my test ended up somewhere around 670 ng/dL but bioavailable ended up at a paltry 135 ng/dL with Shbg still hovering in high 40's. Estradiol was on high end and had increased since last test but my doctor was thinking that the shbg was binding up some of my available test as my serum test was still in the good range. I know we want SHBG to be present so as to stop dht but might it not also be hurting our test levels?

For what it's worth I think my TSH was 1.73 mIU/L and my t4 was 1.3 ng/dL. I think those are good numbers right?

I have a blood test coming up this week to see what my levels are looking like these days. curious to see the results.

san te
san te

Back to top Go down

Post  RobHealthMan Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:23 pm

thank you CS, what is your take of optimal SHBG levels for men over 40+?

RobHealthMan

Back to top Go down

Post  RobHealthMan Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:25 pm

san te wrote:this subject interests me as well. I remember before I got off avodart my serum test levels were at 1251 ng/dL and SHBG was at 42 nmol/L resulting in my bioavailable test being at about 359.8 ng/dL. i was suffering from sever aggression and brain fog but really no other sides. when i stopped avodart my levels plummeted and I think my test ended up somewhere around 670 ng/dL but bioavailable ended up at a paltry 135 ng/dL with Shbg still hovering in high 40's. Estradiol was on high end and had increased since last test but my doctor was thinking that the shbg was binding up some of my available test as my serum test was still in the good range. I know we want SHBG to be present so as to stop dht but might it not also be hurting our test levels?

For what it's worth I think my TSH was 1.73 mIU/L and my t4 was 1.3 ng/dL. I think those are good numbers right?

I have a blood test coming up this week to see what my levels are looking like these days. curious to see the results.

Hi San te, your post, information and inquiry is sort of in-line with what i started this post. its confusing to me the right SHBG levels and where it should be to maxmize testosterone and hair...

thanks for posting..

RobHealthMan

Back to top Go down

Post  LawOfThelema Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:58 pm

As you age the level of SHBG rises because of increasing estrogen levels. So hair loss at these ages cannot correlate with increasing testosterone, but must be the result of low T and a disproportionate amount of estrogen. This type of hairloss is the type that confuses me the most.

5ar is made in scalp skin. I think this whole paradox arise from missing the paracrine nature of 5aR being produced in tissues producing the DHT right there on the spot, and ignoring the difference between rate of baldness and the accumulated damage done by the balding process.

I could be wrong but I believe RATE OF BALDING actually does decrease with age even if absolute baldness level rises cumulatively! Damage done can not reverse itself. It continues to cumulatively worsen, but the rate it worsens at SLOWS. Change in T/E could account for a change in RATE. In women of course this is different. Their rate of baldness increases as they age.

LawOfThelema

Back to top Go down

Post  GotCurls Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:11 am

If you're overweight, try intermittent fasting. I'm currently on a 24-feed-24-fast regimen, and my SHBG levels have tested for 20% above what's considered normal. I'm not sure if that was due to calorie restriction, or due to insulin restriction; since I eat less, I spend less time with insulin in my system, and given that insulin has an antagonistical relation to SHBG, the math is clear. It could be due to calorie restriction, though.

When I reach my desired weight, I'm not sure what I'm going to do, because I'm not sure if it's a good idea to eat twice as much in one day and nothing in the other. Guess I'll just go condensed window eating

GotCurls

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down