Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Geez last two days I drank 2 l soya chocolatemilk .. EmptyToday at 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Geez last two days I drank 2 l soya chocolatemilk .. EmptyToday at 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Geez last two days I drank 2 l soya chocolatemilk .. EmptyYesterday at 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Geez last two days I drank 2 l soya chocolatemilk .. EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Geez last two days I drank 2 l soya chocolatemilk .. EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Geez last two days I drank 2 l soya chocolatemilk .. EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

» Medical Coder During C0NV!D
Geez last two days I drank 2 l soya chocolatemilk .. EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Potential Natural Products Regulation of Molecular Signaling Pathway in Dermal Papilla Stem Cells
Geez last two days I drank 2 l soya chocolatemilk .. EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 7:44 am by CausticSymmetry

» Breast Biopsy
Geez last two days I drank 2 l soya chocolatemilk .. EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 2:23 am by shaftless

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Geez last two days I drank 2 l soya chocolatemilk ..

+3
thissucks
LawOfThelema
Amaranthaceae
7 posters

Go down

Geez last two days I drank 2 l soya chocolatemilk .. Empty Geez last two days I drank 2 l soya chocolatemilk ..

Post  Amaranthaceae Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:30 am

.. with the new circulation scalpmassage prorgam I thought it wouldnt matter - or just
slightly. Geez, my hair went totally the drain the following days - hope it will recover soon.

Amaranthaceae

Back to top Go down

Geez last two days I drank 2 l soya chocolatemilk .. Empty Re: Geez last two days I drank 2 l soya chocolatemilk ..

Post  LawOfThelema Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:58 am

correlation is not causation.

chocolate soy milk wont make you lose your hair.

LawOfThelema

Back to top Go down

Geez last two days I drank 2 l soya chocolatemilk .. Empty Re: Geez last two days I drank 2 l soya chocolatemilk ..

Post  Amaranthaceae Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:13 am

Oh really? Thats fantastic how sure you are of your oppinion.

It could be the sugar in there as well or a combination.

LawOfThelema wrote:correlation is not causation.

Amaranthaceae

Back to top Go down

Post  thissucks Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:23 am

LawOfThelema wrote:correlation is not causation.

Implying that there are universal truths when it comes in matters of health such as alopecia - which should be taken on a case-by-case basis - is a dangerous fallacy. I myself have near-instant reactions of scalp inflammation in balding areas when consuming many foods, including most sugary, processed foods.

thissucks

Back to top Go down

Post  LawOfThelema Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:03 am

Sugary food has never been found as a cause of balding in any of the science behind balding. If you want to believe eating sugar causes baldness by all means, needlessly compound your life anxieties

LawOfThelema

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:28 am

CS has some pretty interesting material on his blog concerning insulin and the hair follicle. Might imply an indirect relationship with sugar and hair loss, but insulin and resistance to it is also related to fat consumption also, so the diet as a whole has to be addressed.

Insulin increases IGF-1 which has been shown to increase androgen mediated inflammatory markers in the follicle.

Its more about how you handle sugar as an individual though. People are different and so are their metabolisms. If your metabolic type is oxidizing sugars too quickly, you are overworking the ETC and bombarding mitchondria and other cell structures with a too many oxidants, peroxides and superoxides. Insulin resistance tends to be a mechanism through which the body protects itself from further energy burden in the cell. Having insulin resistance is going to guarantee your circulating levels of insulin are too high. So if your metabolic type oxidizes sugars too quickly, you can argue it would hasten hair loss. Your body just doesn't need energy packaged that way. Its like throwing gasoline on a burning house.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  theseeker86 Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:26 pm

anthonyspencer54 wrote:
Insulin increases IGF-1 which has been shown to increase androgen mediated inflammatory markers in the follicle.

Doesn't colostrum increase IGF-1 also? I should probably stop taking it then now I'm worried I've been doing damage since taking it Sad

theseeker86

Back to top Go down

Post  ppm Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:26 pm

There are several possible causes but my best guess is that soy is causing intestinal distress (possibly you have exceeded your tolerance level); and I have found that my hair always suffers in some way when my digestion is not working well.

ppm

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:47 pm

Hey Seeker,

It's one of those things. Testosterone can increase hair loss, but you want it for other reasons. Inflammation can increase hair loss, but you want it for other reasons. Same goes for IGF-1.

And I would look at it in terms of dosage. Having colostrum now and then, or in a therapeutic way, is going to expose you to a little bit of IGF-1 intermittently. You probably won't even absorb all of it through the gut. Its a ubiquitous signaling molecule, so then it might not even make it to your scalp hair as it could probably communicate with any number of tissues before that point.

I guess my point is, taking colostrum won't make or break your goals. Now on the other hand, having chronically high insulin all of the time due to insulin resistance could. Its the dose and the context that always counts.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  theseeker86 Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:22 am

I can see what you're saying anthonyspencer54 and it makes sense although i never thought testosterone itself was bad for hair? I've been taking a few supplements that help raise T levels and i haven't noticed any negative effect, well not yet anyway. Then again i guess that's why people with hair loss are too paranoid to do weight lifting then because of the raise in T levels?

theseeker86

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:19 am

Seeker,

I should have been more specific, you're right though. Androgen-dependent follicles display different active androgens depending on where they are in the body. Pubic hairs and armpit hairs (axillary) tend to have less 5AR and the active androgens are testosterone and androstenedione. In frontal scalp hairs of men with MPB there is more 5AR and the most active androgen is 5A-DHT.

So, while a man typically wants a high total testosterone level for his sense of well being and many other aspects of health, if your are susceptible to hair loss, it could indirectly promote those androgen-mediated ill effects in the hair follicle. But there is more at work than just testosterone = DHT = hair loss. Your free androgen index is important and is related to the amount of SHBG. This is one reason why thyroid is awfully important as adequate thyroid hormone is required for SHBG.

I'm just pointing out that a given hormone could have effects you desire and those you don't depending on the context. Its difficult to demonize one hormone for this reason because although it might be the crux of hair loss, its vital for so many other things. Just look at some of the effects of the anti-androgen drugs. IGF-1 is no different.

Imagine instead that there were a hormone other than testosterone that played a large part in your sex drive. Now imagine that we're comparing you and another person. That hormone has the same sexual effects in both of you, but in only you it also causes your ears to grow really big because you have an extra amount of a certain conversion enzyme in your ears. Yup, it sucks that that's the case. But you don't really want to get rid of the sexual effects either, they're a little more important.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  theseeker86 Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:40 am

yeah i agree with what you're saying and it makes sense.

makes me sad that during puberty/post puberty teenage years when my testosterone and i'm assuming dht were through the roof, i had no hair loss at all and it was as thick as it's ever been lol

I know that young people who experience hair loss have low shbg, i'm guessing my levels were optimal until now and somethings gone wrong, unless 25 is too old for low shbg to be considered the culprit.

theseeker86

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:28 am

I would seriously consider getting it checked out if you believe it is a possibility. Anytime I hear of a really young person losing hair quickly its almost the first thing that comes to mind, and immediately after that, thyroid issues. I would also see an educated doctor who is willing to test more than TSH. TSH shouldn't be above 4, some even suggest 3. I personally have lost hair extremely fast, extremely prematurely. Sure enough, TSH of almost 5. I am seeing an endocrinologist in about a week who is going to do further testing, but you can bet I will be testing SHBG, T3, T4, reverse T3, parathyroid, all of the steroid hormones, and gonadotropins.

For most, hair loss is going to be a slower process and results from a slow progressive infiltration of WBC's and their inflammatory products and also of keratinocytes. Fibrosis results but this can take a long time in a normal individual. Somebody who has chronic low-level inflammation (thyroid issues, food sensitivities, chronic infections, heavy metal problems, mold issues, hormonal imbalances, piss poor diet) will see the process speed up. So despite high levels of androgens during puberty, hair loss typically won't manifest that early unless the environment is already degraded severely. Mine began showing up around nineteen, well after puberty but still much too early. I've seen people younger than that losing hair already, which is concerning. Its probably going to continue to happen to younger and younger people as they are being born into a physiological hole, per se, the result of accumulating epigenetic derangement from past generations.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  dudebro Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:46 am

my hair loss started at 14... really sucked. 7 years later i am roughly a norwood 3/4.... i had my thyroid checked by 2 different doctors (both sucked) obviously, i didn't know anything at age 15 what thyroid levels are supposed to look like... i recently ordered some iodine tablets to possibly help if thats a factor. i honestly would have been ok if i just started losing my hair now but 14 was just cruel.

dudebro

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:55 am

Absolutely, I think hair loss is much easier to deal with once you are of a certain age, secure with yourself and your lifestyle. At a certain age you tend to just say fuck everyone else. Not so as a child. Kids can be cruel. 14 had to have been tough, no doubt. Even in high school it was a big source of insecurity for me. You are just so worried about other people's opinions. Nowadays, I'm getting a lot more comfortable with the thought of losing my hair. There is a security that comes with getting a bit older I think and a confidence that comes with it, I'm more concerned about asserting other things besides my good looks now. That said, it doesn't make it easy for everyone. I think its about excelling in every other area of your life that it is possible to, and building confidence through that route. Get a hold of your body, pack on some muscle and build confidence by seeing your mental goals manifest in your physical body. I don't think there is a better way to build confidence, because at its heart, I feel its the idea of being potent, potent in the sense that what you see in your head, you bring into reality. The hurt that comes with losing hair is this sense of a loss of potency, and a shame due to that loss, shame because you feel like some critical aspect of your masculinity has been taken from you. Getting all of these other areas of your life under control, being potent in all of those areas, almost makes hair into a non-issue, the goal being to become so fucking potent that you exude that sense of entitlement and completely eliminate that tangible insecurity caused by your former shame. When you become fully secure, everyone becomes secure in you too.

Enough preaching, haha. But I would definitely recommend the iodine. There is a lecture by Dr. Brownstein floating around here somewhere that is really enlightening. I'm currently trying to work my way up to around 50 mg. I'm at about 25 mg. I had some bad symptoms of bromide detox at first, but vitamin c and salt loading, in addition to pulsing my doses, really helped.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  dudebro Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:04 am

haha you're completely right with that rant man. i honestly don't give two shits about losing my hair now ( badly worded because i care enough to change my lifestyle to get it back) but when i was 14-18 i just felt stripped of my quality of life.

the tablet i got only has 225 mcg (.225 mg)... I'm wondering if thats enough? i probably should have read more before just ordering a random iodine supplement.

dudebro

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:24 am

Agreed, my perspective is if this diet/supplementation/exercise regimen helps hair, great. But it isn't the goal for me. Overall optimum health is.

I started with Iosol, and ordered it from swansonvitamins.com. You are getting 1.8 mg of iodine. I'm actually not positive whether this indicates exactly 1.8 mg of iodine or a mixture of iodine and ammonium iodide. I've heard arguments that the mixture is actually optimal, but I'm not positive here. Someone else might be able to chime in on that.
I just started out with a drop of this and every three days I'd take a day or two off, and begin again with a drop higher. So for example, I started with one drop, went three days on this, took a day or two off, came back and started using 2 and so on. This was just while I was acclimating to it. I had some detox symptoms at first but again, doing a few grams of vit. C a day with sea salt helped a lot.

I started using Lugol's now though as you are getting 5 mg per drop and its just more practical for me now. Yeah, the dietary recommendations from the USDA and what not are painfully low. Especially depending on where you live, some places have next to no iodine remaining in the soil, like the goiter belt. Also, you aren't getting any from grain products any longer, and iodized salt is a joke. We definitely need more than is popularly recommended.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  dudebro Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:27 pm

thanks for the tips, I'm going to stick with .25mg of iodine and 100mg sodium alginate for a month or two before i upgrade to get used to low levels of iodine before i get the drops.

quick question for when i go gets drops eventually, do u take the salt loading and vitamin c right after taking the iodine or a few hours after

dudebro

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:27 am

I believe the purpose of the salt loading protocol is to help flush out some of the bromide you are pushing out of the thyroid. Iodine competes with it competitively for an enzyme in the thyroid lumen. So when we take iodine we are increasing the excretion of bromide but while it is in circulation is when we can get symptoms.

In the end, the salt loading/vitamin C might also help to push it out of the gut as well, as its likely this is where it is eventually excreted, either that or in the urine obviously. So I found the best time to do this was 30 minutes after I took the iodine.

I would typically begin to get the symptoms at around 20-30 minutes after taking the iodine so it just seemed practical to do it this way.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down