Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
DIM Results and Liver Detox EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
DIM Results and Liver Detox EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
DIM Results and Liver Detox EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
DIM Results and Liver Detox EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
DIM Results and Liver Detox EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
DIM Results and Liver Detox EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
DIM Results and Liver Detox EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
DIM Results and Liver Detox EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
DIM Results and Liver Detox EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

DIM Results and Liver Detox

+2
whodathunkit
AS54
6 posters

Go down

DIM Results and Liver Detox Empty DIM Results and Liver Detox

Post  AS54 Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:21 pm

I have been taking DIM consistently for about 1 month now. I am using Source Naturals, which isn't the BioDIM, but contains the Vitamin E and Phosphatidyl Choline and Piperine. In addition I have been consuming high amounts of Silymarin and TMG to help my liver clean out.

I have suffered with extremely stubborn fat on my trunk and pretty severe gynocomastia for the past three years or so, obviously attributable to high estrogen, but probably a downstream effect of insulin resistance.

I have lost a significant amount of weight during this period without really altering my diet immensely or doing anything other than light exercise. My gyno is severely reduced and my fat seems to be dissappearing quickly also.

I wanted to know if anyone else has any experiences with DIM, and what their results were.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

DIM Results and Liver Detox Empty Re: DIM Results and Liver Detox

Post  whodathunkit Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:35 pm

anthonyspencer, this is very interesting...wish I could contribute, but can't since I haven't tried. But I think I want to. At the risk of forcing you to be repetitive, would you mind telling me what TMG is? Think I've seen it but can't find it.

whodathunkit

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:52 am

Hey Whodathunkit,

TMG = Trimethylglycine, basically just the amino acid with three methyl groups attached. Its a super methyl donor basically because once it donates one methyl group, it simply becomes DMG which can again lose an additional methyl group.

I happen to think undermethylation is playing a key role in my early hair loss because with an underactive methylation cycle, the body's inflammatory response pretty much goes on unchecked. The immune system is thrown off and produces to many B cells in proportion to T cells so the body is left signalling the inflammatory response to tissues or foods that it shouldn't be attacking. I don't have the evidence to prove it, but I believe many auto immune conditions are the result of this. In any event, the process requires methyl groups obviously, but also B6, B12, Folic Acid, and Zinc & Magnesium. I have been using these combined and seen a dramatic uplift in my mood and relaxation, and my sudden bursts of body heat and reddened skin have dissappeared.

I have read some studies that TMG has shown some success in helping treat fatty liver and cirrhosis (spelling?) caused by alcohol, so I combine it with Milk Thistle also to help clean out the liver because the methylation process is also key for the liver to detox.

So really, undermethylating leads to hyper immunity, chronic inflammation (high homocysteine), and reduced ability to remove toxins which just feeds the cycle.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  goten574 Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:46 am

Do you think the DIM has improved your gyno or the liver detox?
goten574
goten574

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:06 am

Goten,

That's partially why I posted this. I wanted to see if anybody else had similar results, because I'm not positive. From what I've read on DIM, most sources say that it helps the liver metabolize estrogen down the more beneficial pathway which I'm assuming aids the body in ridding the excess by making it easier to excrete. So I can only imagine the the DIM AND the silymarin/TMG might have some synergy in mitigating estrogen problems because not only are you helping clear the liver of fatty buildup, but your aiding it in metabolizing the estrogen more effectively.

I would also say that this has been helped along too by the fact I've been trying to get a handle on my gut health. One of the problems with having unbalanced gut bacteria is one class (gram negative I believe, they secrete B-glucoronidase that destroys the glucoronide part of the complex created by the liver, so the estrogen is unbound and free to recirculate) tend to convert estrogen back into a form that is reabsorbed by the body. So I've also been using probiotics pretty heavily along with some of the GAPS principles, and also taking bentonite clay/psyllium husk an hour or so after consuming DIM/TMG/Milk Thistle to sort of bind up bile and clear it out.

So really, I have to believe that all of these as a whole (on top of avoiding offending foods) have helped the gyno. Its really difficult to try and isolate one out of the mix without more expertise than I have.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  goten574 Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:36 pm

How bad was your gyno? Has much has it improved and in what time frame?

I've been using Source Naturals DIM for 1 and a half months and haven't seen a reduction in my gyno. Please can you tell me how long you've been using DIM for and is it 1 capsule per day? Can you link me to the products you buy (preferably from iHerb.com) and tell me the exact dosage? I am looking to reduce my stomach fat, get my liver in better health but mainly to reduce my gyno.
goten574
goten574

Back to top Go down

Post  Columbo Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:56 pm

goten574 wrote:How bad was your gyno? Has much has it improved and in what time frame?

I've been using Source Naturals DIM for 1 and a half months and haven't seen a reduction in my gyno. Please can you tell me how long you've been using DIM for and is it 1 capsule per day? Can you link me to the products you buy (preferably from iHerb.com) and tell me the exact dosage? I am looking to reduce my stomach fat, get my liver in better health but mainly to reduce my gyno.

My guess is a large part of his "gyno" is fatty tissue, tissue that decreases in size with weight loss (pseudo gynecomastia)

True gynecomastia remains even if you get ripped, like roided up bodybuilders can get (glandular gynecomastia)

The only thing I found that actually reduced glandular gynecomastia was prescription drug Tamoxifen which has side effects all of its own. There's is nothing I'm aware of other than tamoxifen and surgery that will get rid of that glandular fatty tissue.

Some other observations I've noticed over the years with estrogen sensitivity...

I've tried supplements like grape seed, green tea, lignans. They're all supposed to have an anti-estrogenic effect, the mild estrogens are supposed to healthily displace the bad estrogens. But what I've noticed, is in high quantities, they have the exact opposite effect and most certainly didn't help my very mild gyno. My theory here is there's a tipping point where if even healthy/mild estrogens are taken in large enough quantity they become pro-estrogenic in a bad way (perhaps how like too much testosterone can cause estrogenic symptoms as the body looks to balance things?)

Alcohol increases estrogen sensitivity, especially binge drinking (whether that's down to messing up hormones, liver function I'm not sure). Beer, whisky and other dark drinks are worse than the likes of vodka as they're rich in phytoestrogens

Ray Peats, 1 raw carrot a day seems to help

As does eating foods rich in D-Glucarate which reduces estradiol and helps remove xenoestrogens and other toxins (apples and brocolli are the two power houses here with very large amounts of D-glucaric acid per serving) ...200-2,000 mg of glucarate gives a protective effect, 1 apple contains 300mg, 50g of brocolli just under 200mg.

I've found lifestyle choices help balance estrogen better than anything else... eating good, limiting booze, plenty of rest / power naps and exercise.

Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post  whodathunkit Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:57 pm

I suspect re: the gyno that it's more about the liver. If your liver's a mess you can't metabolize estrogen properly, which leads to a vicious cycle of increasing estrogen in your system. DIM probably helped with dramatic results in a shorter amount of time, but over time a good liver detox will likely achieve the same effect.

Body fat increases estrogen production, so simply reducing your weight often helps with some estrogen dominance symptoms.

I don't understand all about methylation yet, but this sounds like a great little regimen. Think I'll try it, since I'm getting ready to do another liver cleanse. I've lapsed in my diet lately and I'm beginning to feel it.

whodathunkit

Back to top Go down

Post  goten574 Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:25 pm

What would I have to do then for a good liver cleanse? Milk Thistle is one thing right?
goten574
goten574

Back to top Go down

Post  Columbo Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:44 pm

goten574 wrote:What would I have to do then for a good liver cleanse? Milk Thistle is one thing right?

Milk Thistle is excellent for liver support but, ironically, I found in high quantities can also trigger my gyno slightly (but with small dosage it's fine).

Google reveals it's not uncommon e.g.: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118584071&page=1

I have a minor case of gyno and take milk thistle for general liver protectiion. I find that when i increase the dosage it causes my nips to be a little more puffy then usual. I currently just take a minimal dosage because of this. I also find that gingko biloba has a similar effect because of it's estrogenic qualities. I have no studies to back this up or anything, but i did isolate these two supps as the culprit for this reaction. Im not saying they were at all responsible for the gyno itself, just that they seem to make it look worse then it actually is. Take it for what it's worth i guess.

Again I think this may come back to my theory of total estrogenic load... increase it too much, whether the estrogens are "good" or "bad" and you might tip your body the wrong way ...something to be wary of with all these estrogenic supplements, especially in combination.

Reducing estrogen load seems to be the logical place to start, which is what I've started doing... removing xenoestrogens (plastic food containers, colognes, house hold cleaners, pesticides / go organic, good water filter, limit alcohol, eat certain fruit/veg etc. etc.). Doing that should take a significant burden off your liver.

Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post  goten574 Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:59 pm

It's interesting you say Milk Thistle could cause gyno or make it worse. When I first noticed my gyno, around a year ago, I took NOW Foods Milk Thistle for the first time (2x 150mg daily) for liver and hair support. Around this time, I was also making various perfumes using essential oils, plus I was using a natural Peppermint shower gel as a body wash of which I added around 20-30 drops of Spearmint Essential Oil (in hopes it could reduce my body hair)

I actually posted a thread in this forum about Spearmint may be the reason for my gyno. In that thread, I also said it was very likely the Milk Thistle that brought this on. I think the combination of both did not help. I Still have half a bottle of NOW Foods Milk Thistle in my bedroom but I was too afraid to use it. So it's possible that Milk Thistle could cause Prolactin based gyno? because I thought of this and consumed daily 1200mg of Vitex (Chasteberry) for 3 months as I hear this can reverse Prolactin based gyno. Since I saw little to no improvement, I concluded that my gyno is Estrogen based.

It would be great to get my liver in good shape but what can I do without Milk Thistle? My main aim is to reverse this Gyno if it is at all possible. It's not major but it's certainly there and it's bothering me.
goten574
goten574

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:28 am

Columbo, I'm interested in your ideas about the total estrogen load.

Whodathunkit,

I don't think the methylation cycle can be ignored when it comes to liver detox. And there are many genetic mutations that can lead to a problem in the methylation cycle, as it has so many steps.

I would recommend learning about Dr. Yasko and her protocol. She actually uses a test that can show if you have mutations in the specific genes related to methylation:
http://www.dramyyasko.com/our-unique-approach/ Keep in mind that she treats autistic children if you visit the site; she's finding methylation is involved in all sorts of autoimmune conditions.

As far as the regime I've been doing, looks like:

Round 1 : 10 AM (after exercise)
- Milk Thistle (Jarrow Formulas, 2 capsules - 300 mg)
- Dandelion Greens (Nature's Way, 3 capsules - 1.75 grams)
- Phosphatidyl Choline (Country Life, 1 capsule - 450 mg)
- Tuarine (Source Naturals, 1 tablet - 500 mg)
- Methionine (Country Life, 1 capusle - 500 mg)
- TMG (Swanson, 1 capsule - 1 gram)
- Super Source No-Shot B6, B12, Folic Acid (1 tablet)
- DIM (Source Naturals, 2 capsules - 200 grams)
- ZMA (Swanson, 3 capsules - 2.4 grams)

Round 2 : 11:30 AM
- Bentonite Clay (Yerba Prima, 1 tablespoon)
- Psyllium Husk Fiber (Yerba Prima, 1 tablespoon - 5 grams)

10 PM:
- Same as round 1, except no methylation factors, so cut out the TMG and the Super Source No Shot. No ZMA.

11:30 PM:
- Round 2 again.

I'm not sure that this is the optimal way to go about this, but I'm really just experimenting on myself for now. I've only been doing this about a month.

AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  scottyc33 Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:45 am

For Liver health I highly recommend a product called Liv52.

It is one of the few internal supplements I've taken where I saw concrete tangible positive effects - and I've taken a lot of supplements Smile.

Ecklonia Cava
Krill Oil
Decalcify
Rejuvaplex Topical

Other
Ubiquinol
ALCAR
Liv 52
Iodine
Ashwagandha

SUPERFOODS: Energy First and Sun Warrior Protein, Dessicated Liver, Concentrace, Colostrum, Brewers Yeast, Fermented Cod Liver & High Vitamin Butter Oil

scottyc33

Back to top Go down

Post  Columbo Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:27 am

Came across this today, which perfectly mirrors my experience from taking supplements that have weak estrogenic effect, which is why things like milk thistle, grape seed, resevartol, green tea, gingko, heck even rooibos tea etc. taken long enough or in large enough quantities eventually sparked a gyno flare-up:

The controversy about plant estrogens or phytoestrogens

There seems to be a common misconception in the natural health community that women with high estrogen levels should take phytoestrogen (plant estrogen) because phytoestrogens are "protective estrogens" which reduce estrogenic activity. It is believed that phytoestrogens compete with endogenous estrogens for estrogen receptors. When the estrogen receptors are occupied by phytoestrogens, cell divisions are reduced because phytoestrogens are "weak estrogens". This theory made sense to me until my own experience showed otherwise. With my endometriosis, my pain level was a measurement for my condition. When I tried Don Quei, Licorice, Ginseng and Royal Jelly, I did feel better initially for a few weeks because they helped my blood circulation. As I continued to take these remedies, my pain would come back with a vengeance, more severe than before. I realized that weak estrogens could add up significantly if given enough time. I believe that many women are misled by initial feelings of wellness without realizing that longer periods of usage actually makes the problem worse. Many other endometriosis sufferers that I know also have had similar experiences with phytoestrogen. After my personal experience, my belief is that weak plant estrogens may replace our own more potent estrogens for receptor sites, but our own estrogens still have to go somewhere if the liver is incapable of eliminating them.

In Townsend Letters for Doctors and Patients (January, 1997 issue), Ray Peat, a renowned biologist in the U.S., stated that "the concept of a protective estrogen is very similar to the idea of protective mutagens or protective carcinogens". He mentioned that "Alexander Lipshuts demonstrated that a continuous, weak estrogenic stimulus was immensely effective in producing first fibromas, then cancer, in one organ after another, and the effect was not limited to the reproductive system". For example, the brain and liver, which also have estrogen receptors, may grow tumours too.

Interestingly, one of the three common estrogens, Estriol, has similar properties. Being a less potent cell stimulant, Estriol was once classified as an estrogen antagonist. In the book Estrogens in the Environment [see Reference 1 at the end of this section], it was mentioned "because it failed to induce breast tumors in susceptible rodent strains and appeared to block such induction by Estradiol and Estrone, it was considered to be a safe estrogen". However, later studies showed that Estriol was safe only if it was administered as a single injection. A continuous administration of Estriol showed the same responses from that induced by Estradiol which is the most potent estrogen. Continuous administration of Estriol was also shown to induce breast tumors in rodents.
...and, worth noting too (interesting she's list carrots)...

How to reduce estrogen levels and stagnation of blood circulation?

Perform daily physical exercise, which reduces estrogen production and stress, and also reduces stagnation. It promotes a healthy circulatory system and activates the liver. I found the Chinese exercise Y-Dan, which I have been doing every morning for years, is very beneficial. However, it does not have to be any particular kind of exercise, as long as it involves a lot of deep breathing and stretching.
Learn to relax and reduce stress. Relaxation opens up blood vessels and relaxes different organs.
Perform cleansing and strengthening of the liver in order to eliminate estrogen more efficiently.
Avoid or minimize estrogen-containing foods or herbs. Foods that weaken the liver or kidneys as mentioned in Section 1 of this article should also be avoided.

HERBS
Anise, hops, fennel, black cohosh, milk thistle, clover, red clover, Don Quai, licorice, ginseng, royal jelly, peony, nettle, sage, fenugreek, evening primrose oil, burdock, chamomiles, rhubarb

FOODS
French bean, date palm, dates, garlic, pomegranate, apple, soyabean, chick pea, cherry, alfalfa, soya sprouts, cow pea, green beans, red beans, split peas, flaxseed, raspberry, carrot and squash (both have beta carotene)

Generally I have found that estrogen contents in foods are less than in herbs.

http://www.sensiblehealth.com/Journey-04.xhtml

She also has some stuff on liver cleansing, if you click on the dropdown on that link
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Columbo Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:30 am

More interesting stuff from that site, a comment from a use,r from another forum, summing up her info for dealing with liver/estrogen:

I have corresponded with Julia Chong a lady that runs sensiblehealth.com dealing with liver issues and estradiol metabolism and she claims the best way she uses to lower estradiol is using these two tinctures which increase the amount of eatrdsiol metabolised and reduced in the body. They help the liver lower estradiol similliar to DIM but apparently more effectively. The chionese bitter is a combo of bulperum and genatin which detoxes liver and balances hormones and the other tincture is coptis which increases bile flow to remove stangant and old estradiol. I have used and they seem to work. I got better results erection and libidowise than i did with DIM but i want to be sure these were responible and not the other herbal concoctions i took.

Whenever i am feeling my best in terms of mood, energy and overall sense of well being is when i have the best morning wood and erectile performance as well as reduced gymo. This tells me that e2 is in range and has lowered. I have also been on a herbal restart fro the past 10 months so wanted to see if anyone else has noticed benefits with chinese bitters and coptis tinctures or are my results solely down to the restart. I know when i added the bitters my chest fimed up. Next came more atronger morning wood and a stronger libido. I have since been off and the effects remain.

Julia chong said Chinese bitters and coptis are used on women to lower their estrogen domianance and has been used for years and is effective.

It simply improves the natural eradicating of estradiol by the liver whereas armidex is a chemical that stops the conversion to estradiol. I must have sluggish liver hence why my estradiol was high.

http://www.musclechatroom.com/forum/showthread.php?17797-Chinese-bitters-and-coptis-for-lowering-estradiol

Quong says ...

The liver eliminates estrogens through bile and urine. Being an effective bile flow stimulator, Coptis helps the liver to eliminate estrogen more efficiently by carrying more estrogens out of the body through bile ... One of our products, "Chinese Bitters", has been used successfully to induce menstruation by cleansing the liver and eliminating estrogens more efficiently. A woman in Hawaii had no period for 18 months. She had her period in 15 days after she started using "Chinese Bitters". Another young woman in Ontario, Canada had no period for 3 years. She used "Chinese Bitters" for more than a month without success. However, when she used "Coptis" (another of our products) in conjunction with "Chinese Bitters", her period started in 5 days. The liver eliminates estrogens through bile and urine. Being an effective bile flow stimulator, Coptis helps the liver to eliminate estrogen more efficiently by carrying more estrogens out of the body through bile.

Some info on Bitters...

Milk Thistle belongs to the group of herbs called Chinese Bitters too. Here's a list:

Angelica root (Angelica archangelica)
Bitter orange (Citrus x aurantium)
Blessed thistle (Cnicus benedictus)
Burdock (Arctium lappa)
Bupleurum
Centaury (Centaurium erythraea)
Coffee (Coffea spp.)
Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale)
Devil's claw (Harpagophytum procumbens)
Gentian (Gentiana lutea)
Ginger (Zingiber officinale)
Goldenseal (Hydrastis canadensis)
Hops (Humulus lupulus)
Horehound (Marrubium vulgare)
Milk thistle (Silybum marianum)
Rhubarb (Rheum spp.)
Rue (Ruta spp.)
Wormwood (Artemisia absinthium)
Yarrow (Achillea millefolium)

Some bitters can exert an estrogenic effect, Milk Thistle is one. Some don't. Julia Chong recommends Gentian and Bupleurum.

Some quick research says Bupleurum may be more potent for liver health than Milk Thistle but with the benefit of not being estrogenic like MT can be; infact it's anti-estrogenic.

Interesting comment on an iHerb.com Bupleurum review....

Goes well with juice or just plain water. Not as bad as other tinctures. I take this to help my liver with excess hormones. Can't really tell you if it does exactly that or not. I have used dandelion and I like it, but it makes me pee alot. I can't use milk thistle because it is mildly estrogenic and I don't need any more.

I might give these a bash.

Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:06 am

@Columbo:

Great info. I wonder then if my liver wasn't just in really bad shape. My fiberless diet for a long time (also free of any form of bitters) was probably doing little to help sequester any bile and excrete it so more could be made. Perhaps despite the estrogenic effect of milk thistle, I still saw some benefits just from the cleaning of my liver.

I'm going to do more research on these additional bitters the doc mentions. I may be switching to them in the future, almost certainly dandelion, as I can just get them from the yard haha. Thanks for the information.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  Columbo Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:10 pm

Definitely seems like starting with the liver and gall bladder is the first place to start if suffering with estrogen dominance.

But even if liver function is fine, two key questions that spring to mind regarding estrogens and phytoestrogens...

1. What happens to our natural hormonal estrogens when phytoestrogens (from milk thistle, green tea, veg, whatever) replace them? People seem to assume they're excreted - what if they're not... what if they go and latch onto other receptors else where in the body?

2. When happens to excess phytoestrogens when all the estrogen receptors are already occupied with phytoestrogens?

I have a feeling estrogen load can trigger some sort of negative genetic expression. Just a gut feeling for the moment though.

And building on my estrogen load theory is that these excess estrogens plant or otherwise, if they accumulate will burden the liver and cause estrogen dominance which could create a vicious cycle; liver burdened so estrogen excretion slowed, estrogen builds up even more liver even more burdened etc. etc. So even if you initially get positive anti-estrogen effects of stuff like milk thistle, over time the estrogens could build up and perhaps even rebound the other way, in some people.

This correlates with those Chong and Peat quotes on the previous page.

I'd like to get a firm grip on estrogen dominance as it seems to spark up every now and again; my plan of attack...

1. Avoid any foods or supplements that are estrogenic: nuts, most teas, cruciferous veg, certain herbs etc. Almost Ray Peat style, I guess but not to the extreme he goes to eating ice cream and what not. (I may look to re-introduce small amounts of these foods once I conquer estrogen dominance)

2. Up my exercise - it's great for reducing estrogen dominance (and upping testosterone)

3. Try Coptis and Bitters (Bulperum and Genatin) for a few weeks and gauge my body's response. According to theory and anecdotes I should have a very positive reaction.

4. Make sure my insulin sensitivity is in check (will check my blood sugar / types of food) and cortisol (will take naps and do meditation, get good sleep etc.) as both these effect T and E

5. Considering doing a gallbladder flush, just weighing up pros and cons ( https://immortalhair.forumotion.com/t489-how-to-remove-gall-stones-naturally )

Seems like a comprehensive holistic healthy plan to give estrogen dominance a hefty punch in boobs. Will be looking for firmer less puffy chest/nipple area and, er, firmer morning glory, and even though I' pretty lean also guaging belly fat levels to see if I get a bit more ab definition.

Hopefully, my hair should benefit nicely too!

Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Columbo Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:38 pm

Interesting quote from Peat...

The effects of the phytoestrogens are very complex, because they modify the sensitivity of cells to natural estrogens, and also modify the metabolism of estrogens, with the result that the effects on a given tissue can be either pro-estrogenic and anti-estrogenic.

For example, the flavonoids, naringenin, quercetin and kaempherol (kaempherol is an antioxidant, a phytoestrogen, and a mutagen) modify the metabolism of estradiol, causing increased bioavailability of both estrone and estradiol. (W. Schubert et al., "Inhibition of 17-beta-estradiol metabolism by grapefruit juice in ovariectomized women," Maturitas (Ireland) 30(2-3), 155-163, 1994)

Why do plants make phytoestrogens? There is some information indicating that these compounds evolved to regulate the plants' interactions with other organisms -- to attract bacteria, or to repel insects, for example, rather than just as pigment-forming materials. (Baker, 1995) The fact that some of them bind to our "estrogen receptors" is probably misleading, because of their many other effects, including inhibiting enzyme functions involved in the regulation of steroids and prostaglandins. Their biochemistry in animals is much more complicated than that of natural estrogens, which is itself so complicated that we can only guess what the consequences might be when we change the concentration and the ratio of substances in that complex system. (See the quotation in the Notes below from Velardo et al.)

Estrogen's effects, ranging from shock to cancer, all seem to relate to an interference with the use of oxygen. Different estrogens have different affinities for various tissues, and a given substance is likely to have effects other than estrogenicity, and the presence of other substances will modify the way a tissue responds, but the stressful shift away from oxidative production of energy is the factor that all estrogens have in common. Otherwise, how could suffocation and X-irradiation have estrogenic effects?

The Velardo stuff...

J. T. Velardo et al., "Effect of various steroids on gestation and litter size in rats," Fertility and Sterility 7(4), 301-311, 1956. "...certain metabolites of estrogenic and progestative substances that were previously considered to be 'weak' or inert may well play a role in the reproductive process." "We have been impressed with the probability that any endocrine receptor-organ response is not accomplished by the independent action of one hormone alone. It appears more likely that such response is the physiological expression of the sum total of the biologic hormones and their metabolites in concert on the receptor organs."

Full article: http://www.naturodoc.com/library/hormones/estrogen_pollution.htm
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:18 am

Great info, Columbo. Did you happen to check out some of the recommended products
listed after the article?

I was very interested in the progesterone cream. I think it could help with estrogen dominance and perhaps in regulating the way the body handles its estrogen load.

Also, there seems to be a link between estrogen dominance and hypercortisolism. Perhaps also taking small amounts of DHEA could helps with cortisol and simultaneously help bolster testosterone. What do you think?
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:38 am

I also wanted to note that I've experimented with upping the dose of DIM recently with negative sides. I had been consuming 100 mg consistently, once before bed. After a few weeks I bumped it up to 200 mg, once in the morning and again in the evening, as I'm aware estrogen typically peaks in the nighttime. Last week, for the sake of experimentation, I doubled that dosage, up to 400 mg daily.

I noticed that after only about three days of this dosage, my libido, which is typically very healthy, had all but disappeared. I was also noticing some testicular pain, which obviously alarmed me. Without hesitation, I've stopped DIM since noticing. The problem has resolved since stopping it altogether.

Its so difficult trying to pinpoint the effects of hormone altering supps as the system is so incredibly complex, and maybe it isn't a good idea for anyone to try doing this, especially without a doctor's supervision. I'm thinking that either:

A) I lowered estrogen too much.
B) Some ancillary effect of DIM that lowered testosterone simultaneously.

If anyone has ideas as to what could be happening here, that would be great. Until I am more sure about this I am going to cease taking DIM, and I will be seeing an endocrinologist for a few tests as I realize its stupid to be taking stabs in the dark without knowing what my numbers are for certain.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  Columbo Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:58 am

DIM Results and Liver Detox LEi26

The metabolites still exert estrogenic effect, what and how, I've no idea.
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post  steve215 Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:16 am

anthonyspencer54 wrote:@Columbo:

Great info. I wonder then if my liver wasn't just in really bad shape. My fiberless diet for a long time (also free of any form of bitters) was probably doing little to help sequester any bile and excrete it so more could be made. Perhaps despite the estrogenic effect of milk thistle, I still saw some benefits just from the cleaning of my liver.

I'm going to do more research on these additional bitters the doc mentions. I may be switching to them in the future, almost certainly dandelion, as I can just get them from the yard haha. Thanks for the information.

Can you tell me what is the purpose of Methionine?

Did you ever try NAC(N-acetyl-L-cysteine) for liver detox?

steve215

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:04 am

Hey Steve,

Methionine is an essential amino acid, and besides Cysteine, the only other sulfur containing amino acid. Its actually needed to biosynthesize cysteine, and so its important for production of glutathione. Also, one of its derivatives, SAM, is an important part of the methylation cycle.

I have never supplemented with it on its own. I know one supplemental form of Selenium involves a bond with methionine but I am currently not using this, although I've heard it is superior. Other than in this form, I don't think supplementing with it on its own would be necessary if you are getting enough good protein sources in your diet.

On NAC, I've never used it for liver detox. Again, could boost glutathione, but I haven't seen any studies that show its that effective at this. I have seen studies on mice that show it did damage to the lungs and heart from increased blood pressure, similar to a state of hypoxia. It has the effect of breaking disulfide bonds, so its good at breaking up mucous, but this can also break up bonds amongst other cysteine groups and cysteine can kind of go haywire and form a bunch of pro-oxidants when its not bound. Do I think NAC could be useful, sure. But I haven't seen enough for me to use it consistently.

I think, again, that you can get enough cysteine through diet, especially from a really quality whey, where cysteine should be bound and not freed up from heat processing.

AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:53 am

Interesting study on NAC, showing it did in fact boost intracellular glutathione, mitigated the effects of inflammatory cytokines, and because of this, stopped host-mediated activation of viral replication.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1540408

Another, showing the opposite, but consider that the HIV component may have to do with the suppressed glutathione.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7734187

Very interesting studying with NAC on infected, malnourished children. Shows an increase in glutathione synthesis of 150% over controls after 2 days and 510% over controls after 11 days of supplementing with NAC.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12198013

One thing to keep in mind is the amount of NAC being administered also. For example, in that last study, children were given .5 mmol of NAC per Kg of bodyweight per day. This amounts to about 82 mg/kg. So for a 180 lb. man, the dose would be about 6.8 grams per day. Wow, that's a lot of NAC.

Consider that the study that showed no improvement in glutathione was administering 1.8 grams per day total. So maybe the beneficial effects of NAC require much more than is practical (or safe, just don't know yet) to supplement being that you'd go through a 100 count bottle of 500's in just over a week.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down