Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
No correlation between dietary linoleic acid (omega-6) and inflammation EmptyToday at 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
No correlation between dietary linoleic acid (omega-6) and inflammation EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
No correlation between dietary linoleic acid (omega-6) and inflammation EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
No correlation between dietary linoleic acid (omega-6) and inflammation EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
No correlation between dietary linoleic acid (omega-6) and inflammation EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
No correlation between dietary linoleic acid (omega-6) and inflammation EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
No correlation between dietary linoleic acid (omega-6) and inflammation EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
No correlation between dietary linoleic acid (omega-6) and inflammation EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
No correlation between dietary linoleic acid (omega-6) and inflammation EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

No correlation between dietary linoleic acid (omega-6) and inflammation

5 posters

Go down

No correlation between dietary linoleic acid (omega-6) and inflammation Empty No correlation between dietary linoleic acid (omega-6) and inflammation

Post  imprisoned-radical Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:21 am

I hate it when i find information which contradicts what I believe, but here it is:

Too much linoleic acid promotes inflammation-doesn't it?
Fritsche KL.
Source

University of Missouri, Columbia, MO, USA. fritschek@missouri.edu
Abstract

Controversy exists over how much linoleic acid (LA) should be consumed in a healthy diet. Some claim that high LA intake promotes inflammation through accumulation of tissue arachidonic acid (AA) and subsequent production of pro-inflammatory lipid mediators. Here the author reviews the current available evidence from human studies that address this issue. The data indicate that high LA in the diet or circulation is not associated with higher in vivo or ex vivo pro-inflammatory responses. Surprisingly, several studies showed that those individuals consuming the highest level of LA had the lowest inflammatory status. Recent findings suggest that LA and AA are involved in both pro- and anti-inflammatory signaling pathways. Thus, within the ranges of intake that are achievable for most human populations, the evidence do not support reducing LA intake below current consumption levels.

imprisoned-radical

Back to top Go down

No correlation between dietary linoleic acid (omega-6) and inflammation Empty Re: No correlation between dietary linoleic acid (omega-6) and inflammation

Post  TexasMedicine Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:40 pm

Well you could say the real damage from omega-6 is due to the forms it is consumed in: ultra-heated vegetable oils heavily modified from their original composition.

TexasMedicine

Back to top Go down

No correlation between dietary linoleic acid (omega-6) and inflammation Empty Re: No correlation between dietary linoleic acid (omega-6) and inflammation

Post  abc123 Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:39 pm

imprisoned-radical wrote:I hate it when i find information which contradicts what I believe, but here it is:

Too much linoleic acid promotes inflammation-doesn't it?
Fritsche KL.
Source

University of Missouri, Columbia, MO, USA. fritschek@missouri.edu
Abstract

Controversy exists over how much linoleic acid (LA) should be consumed in a healthy diet. Some claim that high LA intake promotes inflammation through accumulation of tissue arachidonic acid (AA) and subsequent production of pro-inflammatory lipid mediators. Here the author reviews the current available evidence from human studies that address this issue. The data indicate that high LA in the diet or circulation is not associated with higher in vivo or ex vivo pro-inflammatory responses. Surprisingly, several studies showed that those individuals consuming the highest level of LA had the lowest inflammatory status. Recent findings suggest that LA and AA are involved in both pro- and anti-inflammatory signaling pathways. Thus, within the ranges of intake that are achievable for most human populations, the evidence do not support reducing LA intake below current consumption levels.

I'm very open to the idea that peat is on an unjustified PUFA witch hunt, but what can you gleam from this?

Vague useless abstract.

abc123

Back to top Go down

Post  imprisoned-radical Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:30 am

Well, it's vague but I don't think it's useless. Hopefully I'll be able to find the actual review, and that way I can look through the studies which were used. There are factors to consider before jumping to conclusions. For example, increasing intake of linoleic acid by adding nuts to one's diet is not the same as adding refined vegetable oils.

I'm very open to the idea that peat is on an unjustified PUFA witch hunt, but what can you gleam from this?
Sometimes I feel like Ray Peat has an intellectual grudge against certain foods (anything containing PUFA), and a bias favoring others (caffeine/coffee, coconut oil, dairy). Even though he presents some sophisticated arguments, it could be that he just really likes how some foods taste. When you like a particular food and it's not undeniably terrible for your health (ie., donuts and chips), you can do a pretty good job producing arguments suggesting that the food is great for your health. Especially if you have some knowledge of important biology concepts.

He promotes coffee, coconut oil, and dairy as if they were the foods of Gods, but I've seen plenty of studies suggesting otherwise. In particular excessive intake of caffeine has been linked to disregulation of sugar metabolism and spikes in cortisol.

I just had some iced coffee first thing in the morning and it really hit the spot. Based on this positive experience I'm more likely to think about the health-promoting effects of coffee than the bad stuff I mentioned above.

imprisoned-radical

Back to top Go down

Post  pancacke Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:25 am

Coffee is good and you don't need to buy as many anti-oxidant supps(for those on IH regimen)....

pancacke

Back to top Go down

Post  abc123 Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:33 am

imprisoned-radical wrote:Well, it's vague but I don't think it's useless. Hopefully I'll be able to find the actual review, and that way I can look through the studies which were used. There are factors to consider before jumping to conclusions. For example, increasing intake of linoleic acid by adding nuts to one's diet is not the same as adding refined vegetable oils.

Sometimes I feel like Ray Peat has an intellectual grudge against certain foods (anything containing PUFA), and a bias favoring others (caffeine/coffee, coconut oil, dairy). Even though he presents some sophisticated arguments, it could be that he just really likes how some foods taste. When you like a particular food and it's not undeniably terrible for your health (ie., donuts and chips), you can do a pretty good job producing arguments suggesting that the food is great for your health. Especially if you have some knowledge of important biology concepts.

He promotes coffee, coconut oil, and dairy as if they were the foods of Gods, but I've seen plenty of studies suggesting otherwise. In particular excessive intake of caffeine has been linked to disregulation of sugar metabolism and spikes in cortisol.

I just had some iced coffee first thing in the morning and it really hit the spot. Based on this positive experience I'm more likely to think about the health-promoting effects of coffee than the bad stuff I mentioned above.

I don't think he's doing it just cause he likes the taste but I agree with this.

abc123

Back to top Go down

Post  imprisoned-radical Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:22 pm

Summary
Evidence from in vitro studies shows that increased intake of polyunsaturated fatty acids leads to increased oxidative stress, which may be associated with endothelial damage. We measured the urinary levels of 8-iso-PGF2~ and nitric oxide metabolites as well as plasma slCAM-1 levels from healthy subjects after strictly controlled diets rich in either linoleic acid (LA, C18:2 n-6) or oleic acid (OA, C18:1 n-9).

Thirty-eight volunteers (20 women and 18 men, mean age 27 years) consumed a baseline diet rich in saturated fatty acids (SFA) for 4 weeks and were then switched to either a high LA diet (11.5 en%) or a high OA diet (18.0 en%) also for 4 weeks. During the LA and OA diets, nearly all food was provided for the whole day. A control group of 13 subjects consumed their habitual diet throughout the study.

Urinary excretion of 8-iso-PGF2~ was significantly increased after the LA diet (170 vs 241 ng/mmol creatinine, P=0.04), whereas the urinary concentration of nitric oxide metabolites decreased (4.2 vs 2.6 mg/mmol creatinine, P=0.03). No significant changes were seen in the OA group. Significant differences between the LA and control group were found for both 8-oxo-PGF2~ (P=0.03) and NO (P=0.02), whereas the OA and LA groups did not differ with respect to any parameter. Also plasma slCAM-1 remained unchanged in both groups throughout the study. In conclusion, the high-LA diet increased oxidative stress and affected endothelial function in a way which may in the long-term predispose to endothelial dysfunction.

imprisoned-radical

Back to top Go down

Post  TransGirl Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:50 pm

Colonic secretion studied in vitro in rats fed polyunsaturated fatty acids.

Abstract
Recent studies primarily in man have shown that cod fish oil rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) are beneficial to certain inflammatory diseases such as ulcerative colitis. This study was undertaken to observe any change in intestinal secretion where the tissues have been treated with cod fish and sunflower oils. Male Sprague Dawley rats weighing 200 gms were fed omega-3 fatty acids for 50 days. Changes in colonic secretion (fed with PUFA) were studied in-vitro in an Ussing chamber. Rat colon which were not fed with PUFA served as controls. Basal intestinal short circuit in PUFA group were comparable with control group in stripped rat colon. The results showed significant high short circuit current in cod fish oil and sunflower oil treated tissues. When stripped colonic tissues (fed with PUFA) were stimulated by EC50 of carbachol, bradykinin and prostaglandin; there was no significant changes in Short circuit current. PGE2 and LTB4 levels were measured in rat colon fed with PUFA by using radioimmunoassay. Biochemical changes in PGE2 and LTB4 levels showed LTB4 were significantly raised in both cod fish oil group and sunflower oil group. This study reveals that intestinal permeability increases in the rat colon (fed with PUFA) as indicated by high short circuit current. The high levels of leukotriene in colonic tissues also explains the high basal short circuit current in the present study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17867271
TransGirl
TransGirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down