Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Cooking vegetables & reduction of nutritional content EmptyToday at 6:36 pm by grail

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Cooking vegetables & reduction of nutritional content EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

» Medical Coder During C0NV!D
Cooking vegetables & reduction of nutritional content EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm by CausticSymmetry

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Cooking vegetables & reduction of nutritional content EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 12:44 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Potential Natural Products Regulation of Molecular Signaling Pathway in Dermal Papilla Stem Cells
Cooking vegetables & reduction of nutritional content EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 7:44 am by CausticSymmetry

» Breast Biopsy
Cooking vegetables & reduction of nutritional content EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 2:23 am by shaftless

» Sorry if brought up before but: Best topical to help aid in breaking up fibrosis?
Cooking vegetables & reduction of nutritional content EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:51 am by Hoppipolla

» solar eclipse on april 8
Cooking vegetables & reduction of nutritional content EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 4:04 am by shaftless

» Role and Mechanisms of Phytochemicals in Hair Growth and Health
Cooking vegetables & reduction of nutritional content EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 4:20 am by CausticSymmetry

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Cooking vegetables & reduction of nutritional content

+3
abc123
mphatesmpb
Misirlou
7 posters

Go down

Cooking vegetables & reduction of nutritional content Empty Cooking vegetables & reduction of nutritional content

Post  Misirlou Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:02 am

As most of us know, heat will damage the nutritional content of veggies and also heavily reducing the enzymatic presence. However, I've read somewhere that a couple of veggies actually releases more nutrients (antioxidants) during cooking then raw. Could anyone confirm?

Another question, would cooking be able to alter the molecular structure of veggies in such way that it would actually aid digestion and absorption?

Misirlou

Back to top Go down

Cooking vegetables & reduction of nutritional content Empty Re: Cooking vegetables & reduction of nutritional content

Post  mphatesmpb Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:06 am

I read that the lycopene in tomatoes is more available when you stew the tomatoes.
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Cooking vegetables & reduction of nutritional content Empty Re: Cooking vegetables & reduction of nutritional content

Post  abc123 Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:15 am

Misirlou wrote:As most of us know, heat will damage the nutritional content of veggies and also heavily reducing the enzymatic presence. However, I've read somewhere that a couple of veggies actually releases more nutrients (antioxidants) during cooking then raw. Could anyone confirm?

Another question, would cooking be able to alter the molecular structure of veggies in such way that it would actually aid digestion and absorption?

Cooking vegetables will increase their digestibility, and thus nutrients/beneficial compounds we can absorb from them. We aren't herbivorous who are efficient at eating raw vegetables.

abc123

Back to top Go down

Post  Misirlou Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:32 pm

mphatesmpb wrote:I read that the lycopene in tomatoes is more available when you stew the tomatoes.

Interesting! I've heard that the beta-carotene content in carrots increases during cooking.

abc123, so you would argue that these "RAW-gurus" promoting at least 51% raw food every day, are perhaps a bit to extreme?
On the other hand, heating food in general will surely decrease both the total nutritional content and enzyme activity plus increasing the risk of developing damaging by-products, the later being a contributing factor in chronic diseases.

Misirlou

Back to top Go down

Post  abc123 Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:44 pm

Misirlou wrote:
mphatesmpb wrote:I read that the lycopene in tomatoes is more available when you stew the tomatoes.

Interesting! I've heard that the beta-carotene content in carrots increases during cooking.

abc123, so you would argue that these "RAW-gurus" promoting at least 51% raw food every day, are perhaps a bit to extreme?
On the other hand, heating food in general will surely decrease both the total nutritional content and enzyme activity plus increasing the risk of developing damaging by-products, the later being a contributing factor in chronic diseases.

Raw vegetable/vegan based diet = disaster
Raw animal products = Maybe some benefits to eat raw, cooking them sensibly doesn't kill you. In some cases its beneficial.

Homo Sapiens have been cooking since their existence. We are adapted to it.

abc123

Back to top Go down

Post  itzmecorey Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:16 am

I would disagree to some extent. There is many enzymes that are beneficial that you destroy when cooking but on the other spectrum you enhance the absorption of some when cooking. IE: Lycopene absorption increases when you cook tomatoes. Also when you pasturize milk you destroy the Lactase and other beneficial growth factors.

I would say that eating some foods raw is better... I would focus more on Chewing your food good than whether or not its cooked to perfection (or not)

itzmecorey

http://www.coreychmiel.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MilBA Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:38 am

You also have to take into account the toxins that are present in all vegetables. While cooking vegetables may degrade some nutrients, it's also disabling some of the natural toxins. Its a tradeoff, like so many things when it comes to health issues. Probably best to mix it up, eat raw and cooked veggies, because at this point we still don't know with certainty whats optimal.

MilBA

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:41 am

This is a good topic. I've been meaning to look into it.

Here's an argument from the raw food promoters:

In 1930, under the direction of Dr. Paul Kouchakoff, research was conducted at the Institute of Clinical Chemistry in Lausanne, Switzerland. The effect of food (cooked and processed versus raw and natural) on the immune system was tested and documented.

Dr. Kouchakoff's discovery concerned the leukocytes, the white blood cells.
It was found that after a person eats cooked food, his/her blood responds immediately by increasing the number of white blood cells. This is a well-known phenomena called 'digestive leukocytosis', in which there is a rise in the number of leukocytes - white blood cells - after eating.

Since digestive leukocytosis was always observed after a meal, it was considered to be a normal physiological response to eating. No one knew why the number of white cells rises after eating, since this appeared to be a stress response, as if the body was somehow reacting to something harmful such as infection, exposure to toxic chemicals or trauma.

Back in 1930, the Swiss researchers at the institute of Chemical Chemistry made a remarkable discovery. They found that eating raw, unaltered food did not cause a reaction in the blood. In addition, they found that if a food had been heated beyond a certain temperature (unique to each food), or if the food was processed (refined, chemicals added, etc.), this always caused a rise in the number of white cells in the blood.
The researchers renamed this reaction 'pathological leukocytosis', since the body was reacting to highly altered food. They tested many different types of foods and found that if the foods were not refined or overheated, they caused no reaction. The body saw them as 'friendly foods'. However, these same foods, if heated at too high a temperature, caused a negative reaction in the blood, a reaction found only when the body is invaded by a dangerous pathogen or trauma.

The worst offenders of all, whether heated or not, were processed foods which had been refined (such as white flour and white rice), or pasteurized (a process in which milk is flash-heated to high temperatures to kill bacteria), or homogenized (also seen in milk where the fat in milk is subjected to artificial suspension), or preserved (chemicals are added to food to delay spoilage or to enhance texture or taste).
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:49 am

Even mild cooking will destroy a large percentage of glucosinolates in brassica vegetables (broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, etc.). Glucosinolates and their derivatives have been shown to have a wide array of health benefits. At the same time they're also goitrogenic, because they prevent the absorption of iodine by the thyroid.
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  diffuse Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:50 am

The debate on vegetable nutrition often seems to get stuck on raw vs cooked, I think fermented deserves to be in the discussion more. Its main attraction being the potential to turn your plain (and cheap) cabbage/turnip/whatever into a probiotic powerhouse, if you can wait a week or two.

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/food-preserving/sauerkraut/fermentation-sauerkraut

diffuse

Back to top Go down

Post  Yanks Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:07 am

I was just reading about how cooking cruciferous vegetables negates the goitrogenic effects, but I'm also wondering about fermentation. Would that have the same effect? I really want to get involved in fermenting all kinds of food, but I can't find a way to go about it without the use of way for some reason.
Yanks
Yanks

Back to top Go down

Post  diffuse Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:39 am

Assuming you meant "use of whey" there, whey isn't vital to the process, I think it just helps it along a bit. I know Sally Fallon includes it in her recipes, but according to the book "Wild Fermentation" the only real essential is keeping the veg in a brine solution.

Had a quick look into fermentation vs goitrogens, there doesn't seem to be consensus on whether it helps or not. Fermented food is supposed to be easily digested in general though. Could always cook cruciferous veg and use others for ferments.

diffuse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down