Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Synthetic vs Whole Food based supplements? EmptyYesterday at 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Synthetic vs Whole Food based supplements? EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Synthetic vs Whole Food based supplements? EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Synthetic vs Whole Food based supplements? EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Synthetic vs Whole Food based supplements? EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Synthetic vs Whole Food based supplements? EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Synthetic vs Whole Food based supplements? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

» Medical Coder During C0NV!D
Synthetic vs Whole Food based supplements? EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Potential Natural Products Regulation of Molecular Signaling Pathway in Dermal Papilla Stem Cells
Synthetic vs Whole Food based supplements? EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 7:44 am by CausticSymmetry

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Synthetic vs Whole Food based supplements?

+5
LittleFighter
Silverlin
sc871
CausticSymmetry
ailin
9 posters

Go down

Synthetic vs Whole Food based supplements? Empty Synthetic vs Whole Food based supplements?

Post  ailin Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:46 am

Is one better than the other?..
ailin
ailin

Back to top Go down

Synthetic vs Whole Food based supplements? Empty Re: Synthetic vs Whole Food based supplements?

Post  CausticSymmetry Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:31 am

In most cases natural trumps synthetic. There are times when a therapeutic dose of a synthetic maybe useful for clinical purposes, but generally, you're best off using a natural form.

http://healthyfixx.com/21/choosing-the-best-multivitamin

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Synthetic vs Whole Food based supplements? Empty Re: Synthetic vs Whole Food based supplements?

Post  ailin Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:12 am

okay thank you..ill be switching my selenium mg c and b vitamins to whole food forms now..
ailin
ailin

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:35 am

the B-vitamins are the best ones to go natural on. vitamin C and selenium are pretty fine with any form.

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sc871 Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:01 am

CS either one of these better than the other?
http://www.iherb.com/MegaFood-DailyFoods-Balanced-B-Complex-90-Tablets/3992?at=hil335
http://www.iherb.com/Garden-of-Life-Vitamin-Code-Raw-B-Complex-60-Veggie-Caps/15852?at=hil335

sc871

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:41 am

sc871 wrote:CS either one of these better than the other?
http://www.iherb.com/MegaFood-DailyFoods-Balanced-B-Complex-90-Tablets/3992?at=hil335
http://www.iherb.com/Garden-of-Life-Vitamin-Code-Raw-B-Complex-60-Veggie-Caps/15852?at=hil335

They are pretty close, so would choose based on value.

Mega Food will last you much longer (three times longer).

Note that there's no PABA in the Mega foods version, but the amount found in the Vitamin Code is pretty low.
Anyone with very aggressive frontal scarring fibrosis might consider taking standard, high-dose PABA at three to four grams (3,000 to 4,000 mg) per day.

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Silverlin Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:56 am

ailin - Whole food gives you enzymes and supportive nutrients that synthetics do not. For the cheapest form of selenium eat 2-4 brazil nuts a day and you'll be getting plenty. Or alternatively there are many different whole food supps out there to choose from.
Silverlin
Silverlin

Back to top Go down

Post  ailin Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:35 am

Thanks..Okay also I was looking at the megafood brands of vitamins and it seems that a lot of it comes from S. cerevisiae? is this the same as brewers yeast? Can I take this if i have candida and leaky gut?..
ailin
ailin

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:44 am

ailin wrote:Thanks..Okay also I was looking at the megafood brands of vitamins and it seems that a lot of it comes from S. cerevisiae? is this the same as brewers yeast? Can I take this if i have candida and leaky gut?..

Yes, that's brewer's yeast.

Even if its dead, it may cause a reaction for some people with conditions such as crohn's disease, with AS-antibodies. Funny how S. Boulardii (related to S.C.) doesn't cause reaction in such cases.

I think for those with candida and leaky gut this formula is fine, just give it a try and see how you react. Start slow if you can, because something that can happen for some at the beginning is detox reactions; and that's perfectly normal.

It is imporant to mention that megafood uses enzymes in its process to hydrolize the yeast cells, reducing or eliminating the possibility for allergic reactions.

BTW ailin, that was an interesting question. I think most people would answer: "Cerevisae is not candida, it's a good yeast. It actually eats candida". LOL that's so untrue, yeast doesn't eat yeast, that doesn't happen in nature. Cerevisae may be antagonic to Candida. And still there's the risk of reacting to it or promoting other fungal infections, in very sensitive people.

Last edited by LittleFighter on Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total
LittleFighter
LittleFighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Columbo Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:47 am

I'm a little confused about these whole food supplements... they ferment whole foods with yeast then extract the nutrients, right?

How do these nutrients differ from just eating the whole food direct? (In terms of composition, bio-availability, co-factors etc.)

Nice forum, BTW.

Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:53 am

Columbo wrote:I'm a little confused about these whole food supplements... they ferment whole foods with yeast then extract the nutrients, right?

How do these nutrients differ from just eating the whole food direct? (In terms of composition, bio-availability, co-factors etc.)

Nice forum, BTW.

The main difference between these supplements and regular food is that the supplements are more concentrated and predigested (fermented). So you are getting a lot of nutrients in organic form, with co-factors, with increased bioavailability because they've been predigested.
LittleFighter
LittleFighter

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:41 am

I generally gravitate towards getting nutrients from real foods, because generally the whole food contains cofactors which will work synergistically with the nutrient in question. The risk for toxicity and imbalance is also reduced. The following study shows that eating two brazil nuts per day is more effective at increasing the activity of glutathione peroxidase than selenium supplementation.

A Daily Brazil Nut Better than a Supplement for Selenium

New Zealand researchers compared Brazil nuts' efficacy to that of selenomethionine supplements in increasing selenium status in 59 New Zealand residents with low selenium (plasma selenium concentrations < 1.27 micro mol/L).

Participants were randomly assigned to one of three groups. One group ate two Brazil nuts each day (estimated to provide approx. 100 micrograms Se). A second group took a supplement providing 100 micrograms of selenium as selenomethionine per day, and the third group, who served as controls, were given a placebo pill. Blood levels of selenium and glutathione peroxidase (GPx - a selenium containing enzyme that is one of the body's most important antioxidants) activities were measured at the beginning of the study and at 2, 4, 8, and 12 weeks.

By week 12, blood levels of selenium had increased by 64.2%, 61.0% and 7.6%, respectively, in the Brazil nut, selenomethionine, and placebo groups. Plasma levels of GPx increased by 8.3%, 3.4% and -1.2%, and whole blood GPx by 13.2%, 5.3% and 1.9% in the Brazil nut, selenomethionine and placebo groups, respectively.

Not only was consumption of two Brazil nuts each day as effective for increasing selenium status and enhancing GPx activity as 100 micrograms of selenomethionine per day, but just one Brazil nut per day would have been sufficient to raise dietary selenium intake to within recommended intake levels for the mineral.

The researchers pointed out that food sources are always preferable to supplementation for improving the nutritional status of a population because they are sustainable, less expensive and have a lower risk of toxicity.

The authors did, however, warn that Brazil nuts are not uniform in their selenium content and may contain much more or much less than the estimated 50 micrograms per nut. No more than one or two Brail nuts should be consumed daily to avoid excessive accumulation of selenium in tissues.

Practical Tip: Enjoy just one Brazil nut each day and help ensure that you get your daily requirement for selenium.

Thomson CD, Chisholm A, McLachlan SK, Campbell JM. Brazil nuts: an effective way to improve selenium status. Am J Clin Nutr. 2008 Feb;87(2):379-84. PMID: 18258628
WHFoods
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  jackorama Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:51 pm

LittleFighter wrote:
ailin wrote:Thanks..Okay also I was looking at the megafood brands of vitamins and it seems that a lot of it comes from S. cerevisiae? is this the same as brewers yeast? Can I take this if i have candida and leaky gut?..

Even if its dead, it may cause a reaction for some people with conditions such as crohn's disease, with AS-antibodies. Funny how S. Boulardii (related to S.C.) doesn't cause reaction in such cases.

I think for those with candida and leaky gut this formula is fine, just give it a try and see how you react. Start slow if you can, because something that can happen for some at the beginning is detox reactions; and that's perfectly normal.

It is imporant to mention that megafood uses enzymes in its process to hydrolize the yeast cells, reducing or eliminating the possibility for allergic reactions.

BTW ailin, that was an interesting question. I think most people would answer: "Cerevisae is not candida, it's a good yeast. It actually eats candida". LOL that's so untrue, yeast doesn't eat yeast, that doesn't happen in nature. Cerevisae may be antagonic to Candida. And still there's the risk of reacting to it or promoting other fungal infections, in very sensitive people.

so if i have candida (we all do) should i stay away from brewer's yeast - Cerevisae based multis? Getting confusing...

jackorama

Back to top Go down

Post  dreft Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:11 am

"The authors did, however, warn that Brazil nuts are not uniform in their selenium content and may contain much more or much less than the estimated 50 micrograms per nut. No more than one or two Brail nuts should be consumed daily to avoid excessive accumulation of selenium in tissues.

Practical Tip: Enjoy just one Brazil nut each day and help ensure that you get your daily requirement for selenium."

What can happen to you if selenium accumulates in the tissues? ...sometimes, I eat as much as 15 brazil nuts per day without any (apparent) problems. I love this stuff.

dreft

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:51 am

jackorama wrote:
LittleFighter wrote:

so if i have candida (we all do) should i stay away from brewer's yeast - Cerevisae based multis? Getting confusing...

The concern is that if your system is sensitized to candida, then you MIGHT react to other yeast, causing an allergic or die off reaction. Besides, in MegaFood supplements the Cerevisae is not active.

Actually I would say don't worry at all, try the food supplement and see how it goes.
LittleFighter
LittleFighter

Back to top Go down

Post  jackorama Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:52 pm

LittleFighter wrote:
jackorama wrote:
LittleFighter wrote:

The concern is that if your system is sensitized to candida, then you MIGHT react to other yeast, causing an allergic or die off reaction. Besides, in MegaFood supplements the Cerevisae is not active.

Actually I would say don't worry at all, try the food supplement and see how it goes.

hi and thanks. what would be some of the allergic or die off reactions we might notice?

jackorama

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:42 pm

jackorama wrote:
LittleFighter wrote:
jackorama wrote:
LittleFighter wrote:

hi and thanks. what would be some of the allergic or die off reactions we might notice?

Headaches, lethargy, GI distress... to name a few and the most common ones IMHO. Just realize these sides don't always happen and are temprorary and a sign that the supplement is working. If the symptoms persist for to long then probably you 'll be doing better with other supplement
LittleFighter
LittleFighter

Back to top Go down

Post  sc871 Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:37 am

Got another question if I take the MegaFood Balanced B and MegaFood One daily, is that too much B vitamins? Along with that from the IH top 6 I am supplementing Biotin because of taking RLA, should I reduce from 5mg, and I guess the same goes in general redundant nature of taking the Ortho line supplements with a One daily multi.

sc871

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:26 pm

sc871 wrote:

Got another question if I take the MegaFood Balanced B and MegaFood One daily, is that too much B vitamins? Along with that from the IH top 6 I am supplementing Biotin because of taking RLA, should I reduce from 5mg, and I guess the same goes in general redundant nature of taking the Ortho line supplements with a One daily multi.

It's EXTREMELY hard to overdose on food based vitamins, unlike syntethic ones. I think it may even be nearly impossible.
LittleFighter
LittleFighter

Back to top Go down

Post  sc871 Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:13 pm

LittleFighter wrote:
sc871 wrote:

It's EXTREMELY hard to overdose on food based vitamins, unlike syntethic ones. I think it may even be nearly impossible.

I understand what you are saying hence the reason I am asking and looking to go food based. However food based are suppose to be more readily absorbed in lesser amounts than synthetics. So where does the overdose/toxcity come in; the over abundance of synthetics or the better absorption of food based?

sc871

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down