Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Causes of Low potassium?? EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Causes of Low potassium?? EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Causes of Low potassium?? EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Causes of Low potassium?? EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Causes of Low potassium?? EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Causes of Low potassium?? EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Causes of Low potassium?? EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Causes of Low potassium?? EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Causes of Low potassium?? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Causes of Low potassium??

5 posters

Go down

Causes of Low potassium?? Empty Causes of Low potassium??

Post  sc871 Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:29 pm

So I had some blood work done everything checked out good, aside from my potassium levels being 1 point low, not sure what the one point is, but reading online normal levels are about 3.5-5.0mEq/L and 2.5mEq/L is at hypokalemia levels, looking at some of symptoms I have over the past month like weakness, fatigue, constipation, abdominal cramps, and maybe heart palpitations (whole reason for the seeing the doctor and testing) its fits the bill. However I think I can cross off the heart palpitations as I wore a Holter monitor for 24hrs and it came back good not irregular heart beats. Even though I get some kind of palpitation of a vein or tightness in my chest. This normally happens when I am sitting for long periods or after I eat, so possible stomach issue there, maybe heartburn and/or an issue with a muscle or rib in that area bruised it good last year tweaked it again a month ago. Or the last possible case is some thing with stress/anxiety going on for some time... Which I was prescribed Lexapro, did not fill it yet, remember seeing some threads on SSRI's being bad, still need to do some research.

I just started taking Ortho's Decalcify 2x a day and the IH recommend Magnesium/Potassium 2 caps once a day about 2 weeks ago. So why am I low in Potassium?? Before that I took Potassium Citrate 2x a day I don't remember the mg off the top of my head. Would a heavy metal detox cause this? I did it for a month, took a 2week break, then started back up cause read here should do it for 90 days, now finishing up another 30days. Or could the summer heat have some effect, working out doors in the heat sweating??

sc871

Back to top Go down

Causes of Low potassium?? Empty Re: Causes of Low potassium??

Post  TransGirl Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:14 pm

Depends on what is in your system. The things that makes you lose excessive potassium are:

- Excessive aldosterone levels(this is why spironolactone is potassium-sparing as it reduces aldosterone levels)
- Excessive sweating
- mercury
- sugar(and wheat in general)
- Coffee
- Salt
TransGirl
TransGirl

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:27 am

Lexipro should be avoided. It will elevate your risk of high prolactin (equals hair loss), diabetes/insulin resistance (hair loss), not to mention thyroid inhibition (hair loss).

TransGirl hit on some of the major ones.

Do you currently find yourself currently craving salty foods? (or at least have a preference for them)?

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Amaranthaceae Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:50 am

Bananas are a good source of potassium.

Amaranthaceae

Back to top Go down

Post  sc871 Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:13 pm

TransGirl wrote:Depends on what is in your system. The things that makes you lose excessive potassium are:

- Excessive aldosterone levels(this is why spironolactone is potassium-sparing as it reduces aldosterone levels)
- Excessive sweating
- mercury
- sugar(and wheat in general)
- Coffee
- Salt

Not sure on the aldosterone levels, what kind of test is used for this or is it specific just for aldosterone? Sweating could be part of it with the warmer temps and I work outside or in unconditioned spaces. Mercury again is maybe doubtful. My sugars if speaking sweets are kept to a minimum, I do eat fruits, sandwhich (whole wheat bread) for lunch, I eat Kashi cereals or mothers oats in the morning during the week and usually meat and something else on weekends. Dinners vary greatly, but usually meat, veggies and atleast 5 out of 7 are home cooked.

CausticSymmetry wrote:Lexipro should be avoided. It will elevate your risk of high prolactin (equals hair loss), diabetes/insulin resistance (hair loss), not to mention thyroid inhibition (hair loss).

TransGirl hit on some of the major ones.

Do you currently find yourself currently craving salty foods? (or at least have a preference for them)?

Like I said I did not fill the Lexapro, and really don't intend to, just took the script as an option while I was there.

I really cannot say I have a preference or craving salty foods, as I try to keep salt to a minimum, even when I cook at home which I do a lot of and I never salt my food on the plate. I can say if food is salty I can defiantly taste it. I will have to keep a watch for this. Can I be lacking in salt/sodium?

sc871

Back to top Go down

Post  sc871 Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:29 pm

I also want to add I picked up my recent lab results where I came up 1 point low on potassium. I was 3.4 mmol/L on a scale of 3.5-5.5. The blood test was a non-fasting type, blood was drawn at 5:18pm, one thing noticed the chart was my Glucose was high 112 mg/dl on scale of 69-100 mg/dl. My last full meal that day was at noon, and I had a snack at around 3pm, how does the snack effect glucose? I would have to think back what I eat that lunch and my snack.

A couple other notes are my RBC was low 4.04 M/uL scaled 4.20-5.60. I did give blood maybe about 8 weeks ago. And my MCV and MCH was a touch high MCV 94.4 scaled 80-94 and MCH 33.7 scaled 27-33.

I don't know if any of this helps, I want to look things over more and find my blood results from last fall and compare a bit.

sc871

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoppipolla Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:12 am

Not enough bananas and coconut water! hehe Smile
Hoppipolla
Hoppipolla

http://www.hoppimike.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down