Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Medical Coder During C0NV!D
minoxidil - Substitutes for minoxidil EmptyYesterday at 4:00 pm by CausticSymmetry

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
minoxidil - Substitutes for minoxidil EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 12:44 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Potential Natural Products Regulation of Molecular Signaling Pathway in Dermal Papilla Stem Cells
minoxidil - Substitutes for minoxidil EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 7:44 am by CausticSymmetry

» Breast Biopsy
minoxidil - Substitutes for minoxidil EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 2:23 am by shaftless

» Sorry if brought up before but: Best topical to help aid in breaking up fibrosis?
minoxidil - Substitutes for minoxidil EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:51 am by Hoppipolla

» solar eclipse on april 8
minoxidil - Substitutes for minoxidil EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 4:04 am by shaftless

» Role and Mechanisms of Phytochemicals in Hair Growth and Health
minoxidil - Substitutes for minoxidil EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 4:20 am by CausticSymmetry

» IH Regimen
minoxidil - Substitutes for minoxidil EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 4:25 pm by CF

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
minoxidil - Substitutes for minoxidil EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 11:16 am by MikeGore

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Substitutes for minoxidil

+16
Joey
need45
orwell
Nanas
ppm
Nocturnalhorse
Yanks
RobHealthMan
Misirlou
NewReg
Petch
edci
chapat
Amaranthaceae
CausticSymmetry
tao81
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

minoxidil - Substitutes for minoxidil Empty Substitutes for minoxidil

Post  tao81 Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:51 am

Are there any drugs which are a really alternative to minox?
The reason why I ask is that I´m a execellent responder to minox but after some months I developed a very bad Seborrhoic eczema. The strange thing is everytime when I´ve tried to use again any solution containing minoxidil I got a very strong SE at once. That´s really strange and bad luck for me because minox did wonders for me. So I´m searching something, which I can use as a real substitute for minox.(no apple polys, nano...)
Personally I´m thinking about some prescription drugs, which work in a similar way, but I´m not sure which would be the best substitute??
Any suggestions are very welcome.
thx a lot

tao81

Back to top Go down

minoxidil - Substitutes for minoxidil Empty Re: Substitutes for minoxidil

Post  CausticSymmetry Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:04 pm

tao81 - Given this latest study, I have two different proposals on an alternative to minoxidil that does not involve antioxidants.

Curr Med Chem. 2008;15(29):3095-112.
Promotion of Insulin-Like Growth Factor-I Production by Sensory Neuron Stimulation; Molecular Mechanism(s) and Therapeutic Implications.
Okajima K, Harada N.

Department of Translational Medical Science Research, Nagoya City University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Nagoya, Japan. whynot@med.nagoya-cu.ac.jp.

Insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) plays various important roles in cellular proliferation, differentiation, survival and functions of the cell, thereby contributing to the maintenance of tissue integrity. Although it is well known that growth hormone (GH) increases serum IGF-I levels by stimulating the hepatic production, little is known about the mechanism by which local production of IGF-I in individual tissues is regulated. Stimulation of sensory neurons by capsaicin increases tissue levels of IGF-I and IGF-I mRNA in various organs via increased calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) release in mice. This sensory neuron-mediated IGF-I production contributes to reducing reperfusion-induced liver injury through prevention of apoptosis in mice. Isoflavone, a phytoestrogen, increases CGRP production by increasing its transcription in sensory neurons. Administration of capsaicin and isoflavone increases IGF-I production in hair follicles, thereby promoting hair growth in mice and in volunteers with alopecia. Topical application of capsaicin increases dermal levels of IGF-I by stimulating sensory neurons in mice and increases facial skin elasticity in humans. Plasma and tissue levels of CGRP and IGF-I in spontaneously hypertensive rats (SHR) are lower than those in normotensive Wistar Kyoto rats (WKY), contributing to the development of hypertension, heart failure and insulin resistance in SHR. Administration of capsaicin increases CGRP and IGF-I levels in plasma, kidneys and the heart in SHR to WKY levels, and normalizes mean arterial blood pressure in SHR. Since administration of GH or IGF-I has some deleterious effects, pharmacological stimulation of sensory neurons leading to increased tissue IGF-I levels might be a novel therapeutic strategy for various pathologic conditions.

Considering that minoxidil was originally used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension) and that hypertensive rats have lower levels of IGF-1 & calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP), the use of Cayenne topically would increase both.

Of course minoxidil works by opening of the ATP sensitive potassium channels. But what else does this? Magnesium.

Consider that Magnesium is practically void in today's foods--foods that are suppose to be loaded with it. Commercial farming is the reason.

Topical and internal Magnesium is a way to increase ATP via potassium channels. Magnesium oil or gel for topical use and Magnesium in primarily in non-oxide form for internal use.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  tao81 Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:19 pm

first of all: IH thx!- you are really helpfull, simply a great guy!
Second I want to apologize if my english is not perfect all the time.That´s because it´s not my nativ language.
Regarding your suggestions:
I was thinking of of capsaicin ,too. But there are some probmlems about it. First igf1 seems to have different effects on certain areas of the scalp. If I remember right igf1 is usefull for the tonsur but can be contraproductive in the front.
Another problem with topic adminstration is, that capsaicin can harm the skin nerves. And last but not least the body becomes very fast used to capsaicin. Due to this the efficence of capsaicin decrease very fast.
Regarding igf1: I heard there was a theorie, that if fin is not working, on reason is that the patient has lower igf1 level in his scalp- have you heard about this too?

Personally I think minox works primally via those potassium channels- So I think maybe drugs which have a similar oppening effect on these channels might work. In US for exe., I think the drug pinacidil has this kind of action.
Thinking about extracting the active compound out of such a drug an use it as an topical. What do think about this idea?

tao81

Back to top Go down

Post  Amaranthaceae Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:18 pm

I once tried using cayenne topically and it is not something I want to try again!

Amaranthaceae

Back to top Go down

Post  chapat Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:23 am

IH did you ever think of putting mag in your topical?

chapat

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:37 am

chapat - I think it's a good idea, but wonder how well it works. Maybe we should make a poll for all of us who are using it.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  edci Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:45 pm

One potential substitute for minoxidil is Thuja Occidentalis (Also known as Thuja Orientalis, Thujae, ArborVitae/Chinese ArborVitae). For me this seems to have quite a bit of potential which is why I will soon start using it as a topical. Here's why:

i) This was recommended to me by someone trained in classical homeopathy, who told me to apply the mother tincture of Thuja Occidentalis (basically a concentrated alcohol-based solution) thrice a day. I was a little skeptical so I didn't order it right away...
ii) I remembered one of my cousins was experiencing quite a bit of frontal shedding/thinning in his 20s and when I met him recently he had full head of thick hair with virtually no thinning at the hairline any more. I found out that he had used the abovementioned Thuja mother tincture regularly as well as pure organic coconut oil.
iii) Upon exploring Traditional Chinese Medicine and doing some research I came across the same herb (but here it was referred to as Arborvitae) which was often used for treating MPB topically and incidentally the standard recommendation was to apply a concentration consisting of 60% alcohol thrice a day.
iv) There are a few studies online which suggest it could be a viable option.

I will give this topical a try and keep you guys posted on the details, the studies and anecdotal evidence seems promising. Here are some of the studies, you can probably find some more online:

i) European Handbook of Dermatological Treatments (p.40)
http://books.google.ca/books?id=BXmpcf70a3oC&pg=PA40&lpg=PA40&dq=%22thuja%22+%2B+%22male+pattern%22&source=bl&ots=K-dBbRiJzK&sig=vYqOgfng2wYx1uPOFiXM6RFK5As&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=6&ct=result

ii) Varous Studies
http://www.regrowth.com/hairloss-forums/viewthread.cfm?f=1&t=18655
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/5773005/description.html

If you do general searches on Thuja or Arborvitae especially in relation to chinese medicine you will probably be able to find some more info on it. Incidentally, in aromatherapy Thuja essential oil is used to treat MPB as well.

I ordered the homeopathic 'mother tincture' for myself due to its concentration level. I am not sure where you could get it online (if you search for 'thuja occidentalis' mother tincture you could probably find a few sites that sell it). Personally I got mine from Asia but I'm sure it is available in Europe and North America too. As far as I have been advised it is NOT to be taken orally and only to be used as a topical. Also diluting it by using it as a part of another topical may not provide satisfactory results.

edci

Back to top Go down

Post  tao81 Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:41 pm

edci nice find.
But from what I understand, Thuja Orientalis does works via 5ar. That´s a complete different pathway to minox.

I think minox works through a mix of actions. in my oppinion the most important is the potassium channel oppening action. Linked to it an increase in bloodflow and increase in Adenosin and ATP and VEGF.
Second Minox has NO in it´s chemical structure, so it´s a NO agonist. Unfortunately other drugs like pinacidil and diazoxide don´t have the NO compound in their strukture.
So in conclusion: If one uses a drug topically like pinacidil or diazoxide, he will get the potassium channel oppening effect of minox and most of the linked effects. If used in conjunction with arginine one should get the NO effect of minox too.
What I don´t like about those NO agonists/donators is, that in the chemical chain NO is changed to Peroxynitrit (ONOO). Maybe it would be usefull if you use strong topical antiox. in conjunction.

tao81

Back to top Go down

Post  Petch Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:11 am

There is a chemical known as the natural minoxidil, it's in proxiphen, phenitoine i believe it's called.
Petch
Petch

Back to top Go down

Post  NewReg Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:23 am

Does Prox-n (the one without minoxidil) really work? I see its been out for quite a while, but I've never seen it anyone's regiment. I need to get off minox. too. I get great hair growth with it, but I can tell its increasing my blood pressure. It did the same thing to me years ago, and I had to get off of it. I looked into Virile Mane as an alternative, but after 5 weeks, didn't notice any difference. I guess I'll go back on it as I still have some left and I have nothing else to substitute minox. with yet.

tao81 -

Are you sure your reaction is to the minoxidil and not propylene glycol? That's what causes the irritation most of the time. However, minox. formulas that don't contain PG really don't work well as it enhances absorption.

NewReg

Back to top Go down

Post  tao81 Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:52 am

no Prox-N does not work-never seen any real!! success with it.

Are you sure your reaction is to the minoxidil and not propylene glycol? That's what causes the irritation most of the time. However, minox. formulas that don't contain PG really don't work well as it enhances absorption

unfortunately I´m sure. It´s the minox itself...

tao81

Back to top Go down

Post  Misirlou Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:22 am

Reversing hair loss or just halting it requires a great deal of patience...5 weeks is not enough Smile

Misirlou

Back to top Go down

Post  NewReg Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:39 pm

Misirlou wrote:Reversing hair loss or just halting it requires a great deal of patience...5 weeks is not enough Smile
Perhaps you are right. But the producers of Virile Mane say that you will see results in 5 weeks. All I saw was that my temporal areas were becoming shinier. So, there were results...just not the ones I was hoping for.

NewReg

Back to top Go down

Post  Misirlou Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:38 am

Shinier as in increased sebum secretion ?

Well, claiming it will help in 5 weeks is a crime! It's Impossible Mission 4. Give it 6 months, at least.

Misirlou

Back to top Go down

Post  NewReg Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:04 am

Misirlou wrote:Shinier as in increased sebum secretion ?

Well, claiming it will help in 5 weeks is a crime! It's Impossible Mission 4. Give it 6 months, at least.
It doesn't seem like increased sebum...more of a lack of the small hair and peach fuzz that normally matted certain areas.

I'm going to go back on because I still have some here and really have no other topical to try out.

NewReg

Back to top Go down

Post  Misirlou Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:23 am

Perhaps it caused some initial shedding after all? Anyway, no treatment so far works within weeks! Try for at least 6 months or don't try at all. Sure, some see results after 2-3 months..but this is no golden rule. Good luck!

Misirlou

Back to top Go down

Post  RobHealthMan Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:28 am

so topical pure-mag magnesium and potassium chloride? alternate these two for topical?

thanks!

RobHealthMan

Back to top Go down

Post  Yanks Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:37 pm

Any news on anyone's progress here?
Yanks
Yanks

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:57 pm

Yanks wrote:Any news on anyone's progress here?

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnalhorse Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:52 am

I have been using Minoxidil for almost over 8 years now. I must say that in spite of my disastrous lifestyle Minoxidil has helped me to preserve my hair. From past few months I have been using Rogaine foam but planning on switching back to generic 5% minoxidil ( Kirkland) considering the fact that it is more cost effective and is exactly the same.

I did have thoughts of discontinuing with minoxidil completely but am scared of the consequences considering the fact that I have been using it for such a long time. Any substitutes or topical that I can use in conjunction with minoxidil?
Nocturnalhorse
Nocturnalhorse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnalhorse Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:49 am

What are the protocols for using Magnesium oil topically...Also what about topical iodine use?

1 Which is the best magnesium oil to use topically?
2 How many times a day? Should it be left overnight?
3 Can it be used in conjunction with minoxidil?
Nocturnalhorse
Nocturnalhorse

Back to top Go down

Post  ppm Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:02 am

To substitute minoxidil one would use adenosine; one study found that minoxidil acts as a adenosine-receptor agonist. Also, there is already a ready-made product called 'adenogen'.

ppm

Back to top Go down

Post  Nanas Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:47 am

http://www.iherb.com/LG-Sciences-NO-Infuse-Nitric-Oxide-Topical-8-fl-oz-240-ml/26162?at=0

looks very interesting, may be good for regrowth..

Nanas

Back to top Go down

Post  orwell Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:48 am

spectral rs and hair signals are excellent minox substitutes

orwell

Back to top Go down

Post  need45 Wed May 29, 2013 7:28 pm

I have yet to find anything that works well topically natural or otherwise like minoxidil except crushing up finasteride (propecia) tablets. If your looking for a legit site I been buying it here without a prescription http://allneededpharmacy.com

need45

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next