Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Questions for Immortal. Concerns about my R-lipoic acid and GLA use. EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Questions for Immortal. Concerns about my R-lipoic acid and GLA use. EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Questions for Immortal. Concerns about my R-lipoic acid and GLA use. EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Questions for Immortal. Concerns about my R-lipoic acid and GLA use. EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Questions for Immortal. Concerns about my R-lipoic acid and GLA use. EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Questions for Immortal. Concerns about my R-lipoic acid and GLA use. EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Questions for Immortal. Concerns about my R-lipoic acid and GLA use. EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Questions for Immortal. Concerns about my R-lipoic acid and GLA use. EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Questions for Immortal. Concerns about my R-lipoic acid and GLA use. EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Questions for Immortal. Concerns about my R-lipoic acid and GLA use.

3 posters

Go down

Questions for Immortal. Concerns about my R-lipoic acid and GLA use. Empty Questions for Immortal. Concerns about my R-lipoic acid and GLA use.

Post  sizzlinghairs Sat May 21, 2011 4:16 pm

Hello guys, new here.

So I have been taking R-lipoic and ALA for some time now. GLA just recently. Have been taking these things for something unrelated to hairloss.

I have recently read that these things are supposedly very strong 5-ar inhibitors or DHT inhibitors. I have had HORRIBLE side effects to internal DHT inhibitors, chemical and natural (saw palmetto/propecia), and I am concerned now about taking these things. I am taking them for healing inflammation and nerve damage and I would hate to have to stop. But If I see some studies saying they potent inhibitors, then I might have to stop. Maybe they are adaptogenic hormone balancers? Revivogen is the main one making these claims.

Immortal, I would love any feedback you could give me on this. Thanks.

sizzlinghairs

Back to top Go down

Questions for Immortal. Concerns about my R-lipoic acid and GLA use. Empty Re: Questions for Immortal. Concerns about my R-lipoic acid and GLA use.

Post  sizzlinghairs Sat May 21, 2011 6:57 pm

Here is the study:
STUDY C
Inhibition of steroid 5 alpha-reductase by specific aliphatic unsaturated fatty acids.
AUTHOR
Liang T; Liao S
JOURNAL
Journal of Biochemistry, 1992 Jul 15, 285 ( Pt 2):, 557-62
ABSTRACT
Human or rat microsomal 5 alpha-reductase activity, as measured by enzymatic conversion of testosterone into 5 alpha-dihydrotestosterone or by binding of a competitive inhibitor, [3H]17 beta-NN-diethulcarbamoyl-4-methyl-4-aza-5 alpha-androstan-3-one ([3H]4-MA) to the reductase, is inhibited by low concentrations (less than 10 microM) of certain polyunsaturated fatty acids. The relative inhibitory potencies of unsaturated fatty acids are, in decreasing order: gamma-linolenic acid greater than cis-4,7,10,13,16,19-docosahexaenoic acid = cis-6,9,12,15-octatetraenoic acid = arachidonic acid = alpha-linolenic acid greater than linoleic acid greater than palmitoleic acid greater than oleic acid greater than myristoleic acid. Other unsaturated fatty acids such as undecylenic acid, erucic acid and nervonic acid, are inactive. The methyl esters and alcohol analogues of these compounds, glycerols, phospholipids, saturated fatty acids, retinoids and carotenes were inactive even at 0.2 mM. The results of the binding assay and the enzymatic assay correlated well except for elaidic acid and linolelaidic acid, the trans isomers of oleic acid and linoleic acid respectively, which were much less active than their cis isomers in the binding assay but were as potent in the enzymatic assay. gamma-Linolenic acid had no effect on the activities of two other rat liver microsomal enzymes: NADH:menadione reductase and glucuronosyl transferase. gamma-Linolenic acid, the most potent inhibitor tested, decreased the Vmax. and increased Km values of substrates, NADPH and testosterone, and promoted dissociation of [3H]4-MA from the microsomal reductase. gamma-Linolenic acid, but not the corresponding saturated fatty acid (stearic acid), inhibited the 5 alpha-reductase activity, but not the 17 beta-dehydrogenase activity, of human prostate cancer cells in culture. These results suggest that unsaturated fatty acids may play an important role in regulating androgen action in target cells.

Wondering your thoughts immortal..

sizzlinghairs

Back to top Go down

Questions for Immortal. Concerns about my R-lipoic acid and GLA use. Empty Re: Questions for Immortal. Concerns about my R-lipoic acid and GLA use.

Post  pancacke Sat May 21, 2011 10:32 pm

No mention of ALA/r-la.......you need large doses of potent inhibitors to cause negative effects, something you certainly can hardly achieve with the supps you take.

pancacke

Back to top Go down

Post  sizzlinghairs Sun May 22, 2011 10:53 am

could anyone comment on the effect of GLA reducing DHT?

sizzlinghairs

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Mon May 23, 2011 5:58 am

sizzlinghairs wrote:could anyone comment on the effect of GLA reducing DHT?

GLA does reduce DHT, and if you take too much it's not so good. Taking a moderate amount is quite healthy.

It also increases nitric oxide which is a nice bonus.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  sizzlinghairs Mon May 23, 2011 7:11 am

I take 2 tlbs of flax oil each day along with 2600 mg of evening primrose oil, with 176 mg GLA I believe.

Is this enough to effect DHT levels? Does flax even have GLA?

sizzlinghairs

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Mon May 23, 2011 7:15 am

sizzlinghairs wrote:I take 2 tlbs of flax oil each day along with 2600 mg of evening primrose oil, with 176 mg GLA I believe.

Is this enough to effect DHT levels? Does flax even have GLA?

Flax has no GLA in it.

176 mg is enough to effect DHT levels, but everyone is different.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  sizzlinghairs Mon May 23, 2011 7:48 am

im sorry, more like 156 mg, but I guess this would still be enough

sizzlinghairs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down