Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
White Rice? Is it really that bad? EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
White Rice? Is it really that bad? EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
White Rice? Is it really that bad? EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
White Rice? Is it really that bad? EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
White Rice? Is it really that bad? EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
White Rice? Is it really that bad? EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
White Rice? Is it really that bad? EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
White Rice? Is it really that bad? EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
White Rice? Is it really that bad? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

White Rice? Is it really that bad?

+3
act
CausticSymmetry
finemrespice
7 posters

Go down

White Rice? Is it really that bad? Empty White Rice? Is it really that bad?

Post  finemrespice Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:33 am

white rice, is our main food, in korea. i am trying to reduce my rice diet these days. Diabetes are an issue in this country and it might actually be due to rice.

are you guys against white rice?

finemrespice

Back to top Go down

White Rice? Is it really that bad? Empty Re: White Rice? Is it really that bad?

Post  CausticSymmetry Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:42 am

finemrespice wrote:white rice, is our main food, in korea. i am trying to reduce my rice diet these days. Diabetes are an issue in this country and it might actually be due to rice.

Rice isn't really a problem so much. Especially if you compare it to wheat, rye, barley, etc.
Would much rather eat rice, and well I eat plenty of it--no problems.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  act<react Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:08 am

Certain Rices / Rice Pastas are fortified with extra minerals that can be bad in extra quantities, make sure you check into this in the RDA side panel.

"You owe the companies nothing. You especially don't owe them any courtesy. They have re-arranged the world to put themselves in front of you. They never asked for your permission, don't even start asking for theirs."

- Banksy
act<react
act<react

Back to top Go down

Post  abc123 Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:48 am

finemrespice wrote:white rice, is our main food, in korea. i am trying to reduce my rice diet these days. Diabetes are an issue in this country and it might actually be due to rice.

Rice does not cause diabetes. Feel free to eat as much as you like. Smile

abc123

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:32 pm

White rice is perfectly fine. According to the china study, the perfect health diet and other sources Wink
LittleFighter
LittleFighter

Back to top Go down

Post  finemrespice Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:44 am

but why do some people say to avoid white rice, especially those in the field of paleo-diet?

white rice are high in carbs, which will boost the sugar level in your blood which can turn to inflammation, no?

alot of koreans in my country are turning away from plain white rice to a mixture type. doctors also recommend to stay away from white rice if you;re a diabetic.

therefore, white rice (high in sugar) can not be optimal?

finemrespice

Back to top Go down

Post  finemrespice Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:05 am

thanks all you guys.

finemrespice

Back to top Go down

Post  abc123 Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:16 pm

finemrespice wrote:but why do some people say to avoid white rice, especially those in the field of paleo-diet?

white rice are high in carbs, which will boost the sugar level in your blood which can turn to inflammation, no?

alot of koreans in my country are turning away from plain white rice to a mixture type. doctors also recommend to stay away from white rice if you;re a diabetic.

I suggest you look at the science more closely. It is not as simple as boosting blood sugar = inflammation. Asians have been eating white rice for centuries without diabetes epidemics.

abc123

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:30 am

I suggest you look at the science more closely. It is not as simple as boosting blood sugar = inflammation. Asians have been eating white rice for centuries without diabetes epidemics.

That's not true. Hyperglycemia does cause systemic inflammation. Look at this abstract:

BACKGROUND: Circulating levels of interleukin-6 (IL-6) and tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) are elevated in diabetic patients. We assessed the role of glucose in the regulation of circulating levels of IL-6, TNF-alpha, and interleukin-18 (IL-18) in subjects with normal or impaired glucose tolerance (IGT), as well as the effect of the antioxidant glutathione.

METHODS AND RESULTS: Plasma glucose levels were acutely raised in 20 control and 15 IGT subjects and maintained at 15 mmol/L for 5 hours while endogenous insulin secretion was blocked with octreotide. In control subjects, plasma IL-6, TNF-alpha, and IL-18 levels rose (P<0.01) within 2 hours of the clamp and returned to basal values at 3 hours. In another study, the same subjects received 3 consecutive pulses of intravenous glucose (0.33 g/kg) separated by a 2-hour interval. Plasma cytokine levels obtained at 3, 4, and 5 hours were higher (P<0.05) than the corresponding values obtained during the clamp. The IGT subjects had fasting plasma IL-6 and TNF-alpha levels higher (P<0.05) than those of control subjects. The increase in plasma cytokine levels during the clamping lasted longer (4 hours versus 2 hours, P<0.01) in the IGT subjects than in the control subjects, and the cytokine peaks of IGT subjects after the first glucose pulse were higher (P<0.05) than those of control subjects. On another occasion, 10 control and 8 IGT subjects received the same glucose pulses as above during an infusion of glutathione; plasma cytokine levels did not show any significant change from baseline after the 3 glucose pulses.

CONCLUSIONS: Hyperglycemia acutely increases circulating cytokine concentrations by an oxidative mechanism, and this effect is more pronounced in subjects with IGT. This suggests a causal role for hyperglycemia in the immune activation of diabetes.

This is not directed at abc123, but I've noticed a ridiculous pattern on this forum:
1. CS says x.
2. Forum participant disagrees with x, and presents valid reasoning (scientific studies)
3. Other forum participants clowns on the person disagreeing with CS, telling him to "look at the science more carefully," as if they thoroughly understand the science themselves. Usually the most sophisticated reasoning backing their opinion is something like "well...Asians (or Eskimos, Kitavans...whatever) have been doing it for thousands of years, and they seem to be fine." That's bullshit.

I understand that CS knows a lot about this stuff, but he doesn't know everything. This is a forum for discussion and disagreement, not for blindly agreeing with whatever CS says.
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:20 am

Rice, white or brown is generally hypoallergenic. The same thing cannot account for wheat, barley or rye, which all contain gluten.

If one eats rice with meat, the rate at which blood sugar rises will differ.

The question defined, is eating rice bad for hair? Not if simple precautions are taken.

If someone eats a rice cake, it's not going to be good, it will be certain high blood sugar.

The devil is in the details (always). Forums are typically wrought with reductionism.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  tooyoung Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:26 am

CausticSymmetry wrote:The question defined, is eating rice bad for hair? Not if simple precautions are taken.

What precautions? Just eating normal rice?

tooyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  abc123 Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:33 pm

mphatesmpb wrote:

That's not true. Hyperglycemia does cause systemic inflammation. Look at this abstract:

BACKGROUND: Circulating levels of interleukin-6 (IL-6) and tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) are elevated in diabetic patients. We assessed the role of glucose in the regulation of circulating levels of IL-6, TNF-alpha, and interleukin-18 (IL-18) in subjects with normal or impaired glucose tolerance (IGT), as well as the effect of the antioxidant glutathione.

METHODS AND RESULTS: Plasma glucose levels were acutely raised in 20 control and 15 IGT subjects and maintained at 15 mmol/L for 5 hours while endogenous insulin secretion was blocked with octreotide. In control subjects, plasma IL-6, TNF-alpha, and IL-18 levels rose (P<0.01) within 2 hours of the clamp and returned to basal values at 3 hours. In another study, the same subjects received 3 consecutive pulses of intravenous glucose (0.33 g/kg) separated by a 2-hour interval. Plasma cytokine levels obtained at 3, 4, and 5 hours were higher (P<0.05) than the corresponding values obtained during the clamp. The IGT subjects had fasting plasma IL-6 and TNF-alpha levels higher (P<0.05) than those of control subjects. The increase in plasma cytokine levels during the clamping lasted longer (4 hours versus 2 hours, P<0.01) in the IGT subjects than in the control subjects, and the cytokine peaks of IGT subjects after the first glucose pulse were higher (P<0.05) than those of control subjects. On another occasion, 10 control and 8 IGT subjects received the same glucose pulses as above during an infusion of glutathione; plasma cytokine levels did not show any significant change from baseline after the 3 glucose pulses.

CONCLUSIONS: Hyperglycemia acutely increases circulating cytokine concentrations by an oxidative mechanism, and this effect is more pronounced in subjects with IGT. This suggests a causal role for hyperglycemia in the immune activation of diabetes.

This is not directed at abc123, but I've noticed a ridiculous pattern on this forum:
1. CS says x.
2. Forum participant disagrees with x, and presents valid reasoning (scientific studies)
3. Other forum participants clowns on the person disagreeing with CS, telling him to "look at the science more carefully," as if they thoroughly understand the science themselves. Usually the most sophisticated reasoning backing their opinion is something like "well...Asians (or Eskimos, Kitavans...whatever) have been doing it for thousands of years, and they seem to be fine." That's bullshit.

I understand that CS knows a lot about this stuff, but he doesn't know everything. This is a forum for discussion and disagreement, not for blindly agreeing with whatever CS says.

I actually agree with you here. A lot of people just parrot opinions with terrible justifications. Also for the record, I know you weren't targeting me, but you chose a pretty bad poster to quote seeing as I only agree with about 50-60% of what CS says which is on the low end for this forum lol.

I say "look at the science" because the burden of proof is on you to prove white rice will cause diabetes. Do you actually believe this?

You make a error assuming Hyperglycemia = boosting blood sugar from eating rice.

Blood sugar 270mg/dl for 5 hours? No shit thats going to cause problems lol. You need to look @ context.

abc123

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:58 am

mphatesmpb wrote:

1. CS says x.

You're so right...

I'll become a vegan. You win LOL... NOT!

Not everyone here just agrees with everything that is said, and not everything can be "scientific", many things have to be postulated from anecdotal observations because simply there are no studies to back them up. Even things backed up with a study may only be valid in animals or just useless because the study has flaws, etc.

In your case, you're questioning things that have been discussed before and actually alter the focus in this forum.

Your isolated studies are BULLCRAP. Why don't you question a real expert in the subject, like Chris Masterjohn? I already gave you the pointers where to look for the evidence. These people are more than M.D.'s, they've spent way more time than you and misterE researching and actually KNOW how to interpret the studies correctly.

There's more to say about your behavior, remainds me of some fella that used to hang in here, but that'd be wasting more time.

At the end, I do support the idea of always questioning things, not just blindly agreeing. I guess people over time realizes that's the right thing to do. Otherwise we won't find solutions...
LittleFighter
LittleFighter

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:40 am

White Rice? Is it really that bad? DroppedImage

"A 100-year old man from Kitava... and he looks just fine to me" LOL

BTW, it isn't just a preception, there's actual research in this subject. I believe there are studies for you to read at and misinterpret.

Last edited by LittleFighter on Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:57 am; edited 2 times in total
LittleFighter
LittleFighter

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:44 am

The China Study II: Wheat flour, rice, and cardiovascular disease

http://healthcorrelator.blogspot.com/2010/09/china-study-ii-wheat-flour-rice-and.html

- As rice intake increases, mortality from all cardiovascular diseases decreases significantly (beta=-0.24; P<0.01). This is after controlling for the effects of wheat flour and total calorie intake. That is, this effect is not entirely due to rice being consumed in place of wheat flour. Still, as you’ll see later in this post, this relationship is nonlinear. Excessive rice intake does not seem to be very good for one’s health either.

Very low carb I believe, is bad. Low carb might be bad for some. White rice, taro, potatoes and others are good options to get energy.

White rice may be a better option than brown rice, due to the lower toxin content. One advantage of rice is that it displaces really bad "foods" like wheat. It shouldn't displace however, nourishing saturated fats, nutrient rich foods like meat, eggs, liver, etc, IMHO.
LittleFighter
LittleFighter

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:07 am

finemrespice wrote:but why do some people say to avoid white rice, especially those in the field of paleo-diet?

White rice is a source of energy, and a few nutrients. It's a good way to obtain energy I believe. In contrast with fructose, now recognized almost as pure "poison".

If your metabolism is damaged, it makes more sense to reduce it (diabetes).

Doctors tend to give bad advice and destroy healthy traditions. For instance, don't eat eggs, don't eat coconut oil, etc. I can't trust ignorant people like them. Do your own research...
LittleFighter
LittleFighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down