Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Low thyroid mistake #1- Iodine - Page 3 EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Low thyroid mistake #1- Iodine - Page 3 EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Low thyroid mistake #1- Iodine - Page 3 EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Low thyroid mistake #1- Iodine - Page 3 EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Low thyroid mistake #1- Iodine - Page 3 EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Low thyroid mistake #1- Iodine - Page 3 EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Low thyroid mistake #1- Iodine - Page 3 EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Low thyroid mistake #1- Iodine - Page 3 EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Low thyroid mistake #1- Iodine - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Low thyroid mistake #1- Iodine

+19
Smurfy
9rugrats5
teacup
Prague
AboDi
LooseGroove
Silverlin
jk120
Icanbeatthis
pancacke
FireFist
CausticSymmetry
Decro435
tooyoung
theseeker
Misirlou
baller234
Amaranthaceae
23 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Low thyroid mistake #1- Iodine - Page 3 Empty Re: Low thyroid mistake #1- Iodine

Post  LooseGroove Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:26 pm

tooyoung wrote:LooseGroove - That's great to hear, congrats. I want to try a metals detox and see how much it does for me. What was your heavy metals detox regimen?

I did my first detox last summer. I started out with 750 mg of MCP (1 pill of Jarrow Toxguard) twice a day for the first week. Once before bed and once in the morning. I also took a few drops of iodine with the MCP. The second week, after I tested to see how my body would react to MCP, I bumped up to the full reccomended dose of 2250 mg of MCP (3 pills of Jarrow Toxguard) twice a day. I was also taking between 25mg-50mg of Iosol with each dose. I didn't have any of the side effects that a<r has described in his thred regarding chelation. The first week or so I was irritable and had some minor brain fog. About 3 weeks into it I was sleeping like a baby.

I just started my second cleanse about a month ago. I'ved done everything the same, except I added Humifulvate before I go to bed and also only take the iodine with the morning dose. I've been taking heavy doses of iodine over the past 6 months and decided to back off the dosing a little bit as I think I've built it up in my body and it has addressed many of the issues I was having. With the addition of Humifilvate I noticed increased acne over the past few weeks and minor irritibality, but no other major side effects.

Also note that I started the IH top 6 about a month or so before I did the heavy metal detox. I waited until after I experienced the cleansing effect that CS describes on his main page before I upped my dose of iodine and started the heavy metal cleanse. Everyones body reacts differently to the hevay metal cleanse so be careful not to overdo it. Just because I didn't have any adverse reactions to this protocol doesn't mean you won't. Listen to your body and definitely take the companion nutrients if you start using iodine.

LooseGroove

Back to top Go down

Low thyroid mistake #1- Iodine - Page 3 Empty Re: Low thyroid mistake #1- Iodine

Post  teacup Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:13 am

Here's another DC doctor saying that a hypothyroid person maybe actually suffering an autoimmune condition (Hashimoto's)

There are a couple videos here here http://www.thyroidbook.com/
and he has a book.

What do you think of this guy's approach?

He also says to avoid Gluten

So if one does the anti body blood test and finds hashimotos, then how to fix that???
teacup
teacup

Back to top Go down

Post  teacup Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:17 am

from a different thread:
jksl wrote:Primary hypothyroidism is the most common. Hashimoto's is a full blown autoimmune disease caused by a genetic defect. If you have Hashimoto's and took iodine, you'd fuck up your thyroid really badly. You'd just be provoking a stronger immune response against your thyroid.

So,
1- If one suspects hypothyroid, should they test for Hashimoto's first?
2- If they have Hashimoto's would they truly be endangering themselves by taking iodine?

teacup
teacup

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:26 am

Hashimoto's is not a genetic defect. It's a direct result of an iodine deficiency. Gluten does play a role in many.

Dr. Brownstein answered this question:

I have hashimotos. Can I take Iodine?

the following is an excerpt from Dr. Brownstien’s book:

THE UNDERLYING CAUSE OF AUTOIMMUNE THYROID ILLNESSES: IODINE
DEFICIENCY AND ANTIOXIDANT DEFICIENCY

Chapter 7 Describes the apoptotic (i.e., anti-cancer) effects of the iodinated form of lactone (δ- Iodolactone). δ-

Iodolactone is not only important for preventing cancer, its production is also necessary to help regulate the oxidation of iodine. Figure 3 illustrates this regulatory step in the oxidation/organification of iodine.

As previously mentioned, the oxidation of iodide to iodine occurs through the interaction of H2O2 and TPO. Iodine is a necessary product in order to provide the correct molecule in the cell so that organification can occur. If organification does not take place or is blocked, thyroid hormone and iodo-lipids will not be formed.

As can be seen from Figure 3, this reaction is controlled by intracellular calcium levels and iodinated lipids—δ-iodolactone.

Intracellular calcium stimulates this pathway. On the other hand, δ-iodolactone and other iodinated lipids act as a brake on the system. If there is not enough iodine in the cell to organify and produce adequate amounts of δ-iodolactone, it can set the stage for damage to the thyroid cell and the development of an autoimmune thyroid disorder such as Hashimoto’s or Graves’ disease.

A Proposed Mechanism For The Development Of Autoimmune Thyroid Disorders The NADPH oxydase system is found in the mitochondria of our cells. The mitochondria are the energyproducing cells of our body. The mitochondria produce energy (i.e., ATP) through a complex process called oxidative phosphorylation. All medical students (and most physicians) are familiar with oxidative phosphorylation because we have to memorize the many steps responsible for producing ATP.

This production of ATP requires many items including: oxygen, magnesium, ADP, and amino acids.
Many people with chronic illnesses, such as fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, and autoimmune disorders, complain they have no energy. ATP is the molecule that stores energy for the body. The body is constantly producing and utilizing ATP. Its production is a complex process that is beyond this book.

However, there are two cofactors, Vitamins B2 (riboflavin) and B3 (niacin), that are integral to stimulating oxidative phosphorylation and ATP production.

Hydrogen peroxide is a byproduct of oxidative phosphorylation. It is this production of hydrogen peroxide that is so critical to the oxidation process of iodine. Hydrogen peroxide and TPO help to oxidize iodide to form iodine.

If there is a deficiency in iodine, which is common when ingesting the RDA for iodine, there will not be enough substrate (i.e., iodine) to produce iodinated lipids. As can be seen from Figure 3, the lack of δ-iodolactone and other iodinated lipids results in a loss of the ‘brake’ in the pathway to oxidize iodide. This may result in a temporarily production of too much hydrogen peroxide. This excess hydrogen peroxide can damage the enzyme TPO.

What Happens If TPO Is Damaged?

Autoimmune Thyroid Illness The body’s response to TPO damage is to produce antibodies against TPO or anti-TPO antibodies. A diagnosis of Hashimoto’s disease requires the presence of anti-TPO antibodies. As the damage worsens, surrounding proteins can also be damaged such as thyroglobulin. Damaged thyroglobulin will result in the body producing antibodies against thyroglobulin—anti-thyroglobulin antibodies.

In most cases of Hashimoto’s disease, there are antibodies to both TPO and thyroglobulin present. Although Graves’ disease may also possess these same antibodies, antibody production is not necessary to make the diagnosis of Graves’ disease. However, my clinical experience has shown that the treatment for both Hashimoto’s and Graves’ disease can follow a similar course with similar positive outcomes.

How to Treat Autoimmune Thyroid Disorders 1. Ingest enough iodine in order to provide adequate substrate to iodinate lipids.

2. Take Vitamins B2 and B3 in amounts necessary to stimulate the NADPH system to produce adequate amounts of H2O2.

3. Correct oxidant stress in the thyroid gland and the mitochondria with antioxidants.

4. Ensure adequate magnesium levels.

5. Minimize oxidative stress in the body.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  teacup Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:56 am

Thanks CS...

Are the tests for Hashimotos reliable?

It would be nice to know if I have it, so I can add the other supplements, now I just take Iodoral, lemon, salt, magnesium and the IH 6.

I want to avoid any damage, or some major detox or the "hair shed" some reported from Iodine. Maybe testing for Hashimotos, then following the advice above could prevent some of these things ?
teacup
teacup

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:05 am

teacup - Yes they are, because they rely on antimicrosomal (anti-M) and antithyroglobulin
(anti-Tg) antibody tests.

If you were to have Hashimoto's you would have very low energy, and all kinds of problems.

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  teacup Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:50 am

Thanks!

How can one be immune to the possibility of an increased (but temporary) hair shed that some reported when on iodine?

teacup
teacup

Back to top Go down

Post  tooyoung Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:59 am

teacup - I think I remember CS saying iodine sheds are usually associated with excess bromide and the best way to help detox with bromide is salt loading.

tooyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:12 am

teacup wrote:Thanks!

How can one be immune to the possibility of an increased (but temporary) hair shed that some reported when on iodine?

tooyoung is probably correct.

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:27 am

Brownstein recently mentioned:

1. Can those with Hashimoto’s or Graves’ disease take iodine?

A: I explain this topic in much more detail in my book, but let me summarize the answer. M research has shown that both Hashimoto’s and Graves’ disease are caused, in part, from low iodine. In fact, nearly every new patient with either a diagnosis of Hashimoto’s or Graves’ disease has tested significantly low for iodine. My experience has shown that the vast majority of patients suffering with these illnesses improve their condition when iodine deficiency is rectified. However, some people (including those with and without Hashimoto’s and Graves’ disease) may have problems with iodine supplementation. Of course, there can be an adverse effect to anything, iodine included.
The best results with iodine supplementation occur in those that have their levels checked and are followed by a health care provider who is knowledgeable about iodine. Furthermore, iodine supplementation works better when used as part of a complete holistic treatment regimen.

Also, as said by Flechas, iodine won't lower thyroid antibodies.

The Jaminets recommend high iodine supplementation only starting slowly and for chronic diseases. Wait until eliminating grains so autoantibodies are gone (gluten, cross-reacting foods, etc.).

Iodine moves heavy metals away, and of course it increases the killing power of the immune system... so auto-immune disease sufferers beware... hair loss?

For better results and safety, do your homework and research, that's my advice.
LittleFighter
LittleFighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3