Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Potatoes: What's the deal? EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Potatoes: What's the deal? EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Potatoes: What's the deal? EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Potatoes: What's the deal? EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Potatoes: What's the deal? EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Potatoes: What's the deal? EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Potatoes: What's the deal? EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Potatoes: What's the deal? EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Potatoes: What's the deal? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Potatoes: What's the deal?

+7
Balthier
crysanthium
CausticSymmetry
tooyoung
ppm
mphatesmpb
Micah
11 posters

Go down

Potatoes: What's the deal? Empty Potatoes: What's the deal?

Post  Micah Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:58 pm

So what is the deal with potatoes? The healthy hair diet days they are ok to eat, but everything I read says they spike insulin and turn to sugar in the body. Does eating potatoes lead to insulin resistance? They are high on the GI list.
I have read some stuff indicating that eating starches wont lead to insulin resistance, but nothing really substantial.

I am trying to figure this whole diet thing out. I need help!

Micah

Back to top Go down

Potatoes: What's the deal? Empty Re: Potatoes: What's the deal?

Post  mphatesmpb Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:44 pm

I'd like to know the same thing. I've raised this concern several times on threads but no one has responded.
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  ppm Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:16 am

A supply of sugars (e.g. starch) is only problematic in already diabetic persons.
Further, the glycemic index reading is a theoretical value only applicable if
only the sole substance is ingested; any combination of different foods/nutrients (e.g. fat) will result in a GI unknown.
The GI will depend on things like means of preparation, macro-nutrient composition, size and many other things.
If one is to use starches, there is the choice between grains and tubers (e.g. potatoes); with tubers most likely having a better nutrient-to-anti-nutrient-ratio..

ppm

Back to top Go down

Post  tooyoung Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:26 am

What is the deal with potatoes? I find some people very pro potato, however some are very negative. What's the verdict?

tooyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:41 am

As always the "devil" is in the details

Take potatoes and super heat them in fried vegetable oil, there will be a problem.

Super heating starch, increases the insulin-factor.

If you eat the whole potato, the skin is nutrient dense.

Overall, eating a while potato isn't that bad. Personally, I've never had a problem
eating potatoes. That being said, there are more nutritious potatoes that are good for blood sugar.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Potatoes: What's the deal? Empty personal experience

Post  crysanthium Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:20 pm

Real life experience: I tried the Healthy Hair Diet to hopefully stop shedding and promote regrowth. I have been on it for three months now (mostly potatos and good oils and good meat). I eat about a half bag of potatoes a day. Bad news is, like most foods it seemed to have little effect on my hair.
So why am I still on it? I eat as much as I want each day...im never hungry and I've lost about 20 pounds in 2.5 months while my energy has gone up and my strength has stayed the same with no appreciable exercise. I wasnt particularly heavy before the diet but now im approaching highschool weight (im 39 yo) and like the look.
Usually after a 'normal" lunch of processed carbs / grains id be drowsy after. I never get that off potatoes. I dont believe they cause the kind of spiking that simple sugars do... no studies just my personal experience over 3 months with no cheating.

crysanthium

Back to top Go down

Post  Balthier Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:12 pm

CausticSymmetry wrote: That being said, there are more nutritious potatoes that are good for blood sugar.
what do you mean like a specific variety(red,russet,gold,purple yam etc.) If so which one?

IDK if anyone read this,but chris voigt ate nothing but 20 potatoes for 2 months since everyone seems to think potatoes are bad and lack nutrition he lost weight and his blood sugar and was down.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1334351/Potato-diet-Chris-Voigt-loses-1-5-stone-eating-just-potatoes-2-MONTHS.html

Balthier

Back to top Go down

Post  tooyoung Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:32 am

crysanthium - Have you noticed any lack of inflammation?

Only negative thing I can think about is that they are quite high in oxalates, jdp praises low oxalate diets and if you have oxalate problems potatoes may not be the best for you.

CS, what's your opinion on oxalates?

tooyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:16 am

tooyoung - I'm not sensitive to oxalates so I don't worry about them. It depends on one's sensitivity. Anyone prone to oxalate problems should look into avoiding high-oxalate foods. Magnesium along with B6 prevents virtually 100% of oxalate stones. Unfortunately, as jdp710 has pointed out many times, oxalate research is limited and it affects a great more things than kidney stones alone.

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnalhorse Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:07 pm

CausticSymmetry wrote:As always the "devil" is in the details

Take potatoes and super heat them in fried vegetable oil, there will be a problem.

Super heating starch, increases the insulin-factor.

If you eat the whole potato, the skin is nutrient dense.

Overall, eating a while potato isn't that bad. Personally, I've never had a problem
eating potatoes. That being said, there are more nutritious potatoes that are good for blood sugar.

CS! I generally bake them to the point of being crispy and I use coconut oil...is that fine??
Nocturnalhorse
Nocturnalhorse

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:11 pm

That being said, there are more nutritious potatoes that are good for blood sugar.

CS,
Which potatoes do you recommend if one is trying to keep blood glucose/insulin levels low?

I've done some research and it seems that potatoes, unlike grains, have almost no polyunsaturated fats. It seems that there is a correlation between oxidative stress within the body and dietary intake of polyunsaturated fatty acids. See study: http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v53/n7/abs/1600783a.html.

My current idea is to limit my intake of PUFAs to that provided by nuts/seeds and fish. You've stated on other threads that consuming unsaturated fats in their unadultered state is perfectly healthy, but I am still a little bit confused on this concept. I am assuming that by 'unadulterated' you mean that the fats are not part of a processed food (exposed to oxygen, heat, and/or light). But can you explain to me why the unsaturated fatty acids in natural foods are any less susceptible to oxidation than those found in processed foods? Why would the natural, unadulterated fatty acids contribute less to systemic oxidative stress? Once part of cell membranes, it seems to me like the unsaturated fatty acid chains that one gets from nuts/seeds and fish would be just as vulnerable to oxidation.

mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Potatoes: What's the deal? Empty reply

Post  crysanthium Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:30 am

Ive not noticed a great deal of difference in my scalp itch on the diet maybe a little. Again the other benefits have been substantial though

crysanthium

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:58 pm

Potatoes:

Most potato varieties have a high glycemic index due to the presence of high amounts of amyl pectin that is quickly digested.

Tiny new white and red bliss potatoes have a lower GI value than normal varieties. Russet baked potatoes have the highest glycemic index (an average of 85) and mashed potatoes an average of 92.

The glycemic impact of potatoes can be lessened by eating smaller portions and varying your diet with alternatives such as sweet potato (GI- average 61 - the starch in sweet potatoes is amylose - more slowly digested and absorbed) or yams (GI average 37).

Whole article:
http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/glycemic-index.shtml
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  ElmoSuper8 Tue May 13, 2014 10:52 am

What is the "Healthy Hair Diet" ?

ElmoSuper8

Back to top Go down

Post  NYJets Tue May 13, 2014 1:56 pm

Wonder if ALA (taken with others) is enough to offset the spike. I crave potatoes, russet mainly and white jasmine rice. Those are my two carb sources. I had a bad reaction to potatoes until I increased the quality to fresh organic, not so much any more but still try not to make a habit of eating them. Slice em up and coat them with coconut oil/salt/pepper in the convection at 390 F for approx 15. Leave the skin on. Bake till golden crispy.
NYJets
NYJets

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnalhorse Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:30 pm

Digging into an old thread. CS! What is your stance on potatoes today? I generally have a few along with my breakfast, lunch and dinner.

COOKING METHOD : I poke them with a fork/knife, put them in a microwave wrapped with a wet cloth for about four mins. After that I stir-fry them with butter or coconut oil. Mostly alternate between red, yukon gold and idaho russet potatoes. This is the only source of starch that I have in my diet.
Nocturnalhorse
Nocturnalhorse

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:21 pm

Nocturnalhorse - Potatoes are good, however a few caveats.

non-organic (conventionally) grown potatoes are loaded in pesticides, so it's best to go organic.

Also microwaving is a bit of a problem due to its effects on white cells, hemoglobin and free radicals.

Finally, some people are sensitive to nightshades (most people are not), so all that being said, cooking organic potatoes using more traditional cooking methods should be good for most people.

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnalhorse Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:27 am

Thanks for the reply CS. I'll take that in consideration and stick to more traditional methods.
Nocturnalhorse
Nocturnalhorse

Back to top Go down

Post  Zaphod Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:45 am

What's better? cooking, baking or frying? Or else - how much nutrients are flushed out with the water versus the heating factor, which is greater in baking/frying?

Zaphod

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down