Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Medical Coder During C0NV!D
A book on MPB EmptyYesterday at 4:00 pm by CausticSymmetry

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
A book on MPB EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 12:44 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Potential Natural Products Regulation of Molecular Signaling Pathway in Dermal Papilla Stem Cells
A book on MPB EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 7:44 am by CausticSymmetry

» Breast Biopsy
A book on MPB EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 2:23 am by shaftless

» Sorry if brought up before but: Best topical to help aid in breaking up fibrosis?
A book on MPB EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:51 am by Hoppipolla

» solar eclipse on april 8
A book on MPB EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 4:04 am by shaftless

» Role and Mechanisms of Phytochemicals in Hair Growth and Health
A book on MPB EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 4:20 am by CausticSymmetry

» IH Regimen
A book on MPB EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 4:25 pm by CF

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
A book on MPB EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 11:16 am by MikeGore

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

A book on MPB

+12
barefoot
Espio
empty
MAO
teacup
tooyoung
misterE
Nocturnalhorse
phoenix21
gbp2000
crincrin
fender89
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A book on MPB Empty A book on MPB

Post  fender89 Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:31 pm

has anyone read this?

http://www.amazon.com/Broke-Mystery-Male-Pattern-Baldness/dp/9719448806

tempted to buy it and see what it says.. anyone read it? is it bullshit?

fender89

Back to top Go down

A book on MPB Empty Re: A book on MPB

Post  crincrin Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:04 pm

Well, if nothing else, that guy definitely knows his audience and has at least some idea of what he's talking about. The description is well written and has me (and probably anyone who's read a bit on the subject) seriously curious. It's an approach I've always tried to take: primitive cultures seem to be healthier in general, so looking at their habits will give you insight into the pathology of civilized diseases.

But I'm still skeptical. That one review also seems like it might have been written by the author. It draws you in even more, but gives you no idea of what's actually in the book.

And I don't know about the claim that primitive cultures have no MPB. Less frequent, I'd almost certainly agree, but in any picture that shows a number of members of the tribe, you'll find some with a receding hairline.

crincrin

Back to top Go down

Post  crincrin Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:16 pm

http://www.bookhairs.com/home/mystery-is-broken/excerpts

After reading through this, I suspect that one of the mechanisms he suggests (he talks about two mechanisms) might be squatting. Asian cultures did a lot of squatting before industrialization.

crincrin

Back to top Go down

Post  crincrin Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:24 pm

Might as well vote

http://bookhairs.iblogger.org/

crincrin

Back to top Go down

Post  gbp2000 Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:47 pm

The book looks horrendous - was it self published?

gbp2000

Back to top Go down

Post  phoenix21 Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:14 am

crincrin,

Funny squatting is brought up. I mentioned it in one of my first posts on here. I used to squat A TON as child, but slowly got away from it. (talking about relaxed squatting, not bb weighted squats, btw) My dad used to make me do it regularly as a kid, he is a chiropractor and knows a ton on the subject. I dont think just asians, but most primitive cultures used to squat in early times.

Anyways, not sure how much it could be directly attributed to hairloss, but I think it relates quite a bit to good posture and spinal health. One theory of Chiropractic is that spinal health does affect health through the entire body. IMO, the invention of the modern chair killed a lot of people's posture.

phoenix21

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnalhorse Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:39 am

phoenix21 wrote:crincrin,

Funny squatting is brought up. I mentioned it in one of my first posts on here. I used to squat A TON as child, but slowly got away from it. (talking about relaxed squatting, not bb weighted squats, btw) My dad used to make me do it regularly as a kid, he is a chiropractor and knows a ton on the subject. I dont think just asians, but most primitive cultures used to squat in early times.

Anyways, not sure how much it could be directly attributed to hairloss, but I think it relates quite a bit to good posture and spinal health. One theory of Chiropractic is that spinal health does affect health through the entire body. IMO, the invention of the modern chair killed a lot of people's posture.

Funny thing, because I have noticed a marked difference in my hair quality since I resumed back to my powerlifting after almost 2 years break.
Nocturnalhorse
Nocturnalhorse

Back to top Go down

Post  crincrin Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:18 am

phoenix21 wrote:crincrin,

He mentions thrones (chairs), blood pressure, gravity, hypotension, etc. (check out the index).

I think he relates all of these to hair loss by way of blood flow. When you stand up, blood pressure in your scalp goes down. This means reduced blood flow. If you spend a lot of time in a squatting position (as opposed to sitting in a chair), then for a good portion of the day you've got increased scalp blood flow. He says that the horseshoe pattern that's left provides a clue to the mechanism of hair loss. Maybe at night, since you're lying on your back, that area has increased blood flow? Also, most people notice that one side of the head balds faster than the other; most people tend to sleep on one side at night, so maybe that side will have greater blood flow.

TBH this seems farfetched and I'm pretty skeptical of this theory, but it might not be what he suggests at all. I'm still very curious.

Spinal alignment might have something to do with it too. I'm not sure how that would affect blood flow to the scalp without affecting blood flow to the brain.

crincrin

Back to top Go down

Post  misterE Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:50 am

Yeah, reading thru the excerpts I have the impression that the author is implying that MPB is caused by cardiovascular-disease. The frightening part is; numerous studies have shown that this is true and that MPB is strongly associated with cardiovascular-disease [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]! In fact, heart-disease is only one of the "big-three" diseases associated with MPB!

So now that we know for a fact that MPB is associated with heart-disease, we should look for doctors who have shown to reverse heart-disease using diet, wouldn’t that make sense? Those doctors are Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn and Dr. Dean Ornish. Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn has proven that heart-disease is completely reversible by eating a extremely-low-fat vegan diet [8] and has shown that lowering your cholesterol below 150 will result in the reversal of cardiovascular-disease over time [9]. Dr. Dean Ornish using virtually the same diet combined with exercise and meditation has also proven to reverse heart-disease [10] [11].

[1] Baldness and coronary heart disease rates in men from the Framingham Study.
[2] Baldness and ischemic heart disease in a national sample of men.
[3] Male pattern baldness and coronary heart disease: the Physicians' Health Study.
[4] A case-control study of baldness in relation to myocardial infarction in men.
[5] Grey hair, baldness, and wrinkles in relation to myocardial infarction: the Copenhagen City Heart Study.
[6] Baldness and coronary heart disease risk factors.
[7] Factors discriminating men with coronary heart disease from healthy controls.
[8] Resolving the Coronary Artery Disease Epidemic through Plant-Based Nutrition.
[9] A Strategy to Arrest and Reverse Coronary Artery Disease: A 5-Year Longitudinal Study of a Single Physician's Practice.
[10] Intensive lifestyle changes for reversal of coronary heart disease.
[11] Can lifestyle changes reverse coronary heart disease? The Lifestyle Heart Trial.
misterE
misterE

Back to top Go down

Post  misterE Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:00 am

OK. I just bought the book today from Amazon for 35$. I couldn't help it… it’s too intriguing! I should have the book by novemver-29th-2010. When I get it and read it, I will give a full and graphic detailed explanation of its contents in the hopes of getting this information out for people to read for free. I will create a new thread dedicated to it called Book Review & Synopsis: I Broke The Mystery of Male Pattern Baldness, so keep an eye out!
misterE
misterE

Back to top Go down

Post  tooyoung Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:09 am

Generous of you misterE, i look forward to reading the thread. Smile

tooyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  misterE Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:15 am

tooyoung wrote:Generous of you misterE, i look forward to reading the thread. Smile

Indeed. I look forward to reading the book and creating the tread as well!
misterE
misterE

Back to top Go down

Post  fender89 Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:06 am

hey misterE, that's awesome news! thanks man!

fender89

Back to top Go down

Post  teacup Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:22 am

Keep us posted plz. thanks Smile

I wonder if modern day toilets are bad for hair! people used to squat , that is the natural position to go the bathroom, toilet seats create constipation and i wonder if all the toxins in our gut sitting there , and the changes in the intestines reduce nutrient absorption and reintroduce toxins to the blood.
teacup
teacup

Back to top Go down

A book on MPB Empty Earthing

Post  teacup Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:32 am

One other quick note.. on "earthing" The theory behind this is that our modern lifestyle keeps out body from touching the ground and getting electrically grounded. This is due to shoes, carpets, cars, ..everywhere we go we are wearing rubber shoes that keep us from grounding. The theory also mentions some sort of bio-rythm that needs to reconnect to the planet's rhythm and if it doesnt it gets out of a wack like an older clock that needed to be adjusted every few months. I'm new to this "earthing" and it all may be hogwash, but if gravity is a factor then maybe "earthing" also is a factor, most our ancestors didn't wear rubber or wooden shoes rather went barefoot or used leather.
teacup
teacup

Back to top Go down

Post  teacup Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:14 am

I just have to say, I have noticed that some women with thinning hair do have bad posture, especially upper back posture.

Books books books!

1- There's a book on "Earthing" that I was considering purchasing, has many good reviews on amazon: Earthing: The Most Important Health Discovery Ever?

2- I'm going to purchase the Earthing book and the I Broke The Mystery of Male Pattern Baldness book.

fender89 - Thanks for your post and for letting me know this book was out there!!

These books seem to make so much sense, if nothing I bet they would both help me have a better posture, and walking barefoot is something I definitely will be doing next summer.

3- If posture does in deed play a role in MPB, then there are a few more book I want to plug in here:
Posture books:
Anthony B. Carey's Pain-Free Program
Paul D'Arezzo's Posture Alignment
Janice Novak's Posture, Get It Straight!
Perry Bonomo and Daniel Seidler's Why Does Working @ My Computer Hurt So Much?

Thanks
teacup
teacup

Back to top Go down

Post  fender89 Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:38 am

no problem man! was just aimlessly searching for a cure for MPB one night.. hahah Wink

fender89

Back to top Go down

Post  fender89 Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:44 am

fender89 wrote:no problem man! was just aimlessly searching for a cure for MPB one night.. hahah Wink

guess i wasn't "aimlessly" searching, if what i was searching for was specificaly a cure for MPB XD..

fender89

Back to top Go down

Post  MAO Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:37 am

This idea of squatting is quite fascinating to me. Unusually, I prefer to stand in most situations inc public transport, when eating at home etc. I am naturally very energised and find it hard to sit down for any length of time. Watching long films is very difficult for me. The only time of the year I squat is when it gets very cold in mid winter and I do this by my open fire. Thinking back, I did have a significant growth spurt around Dec/Jan last year whilst adopting this squatting practice. I just thought it was caused by the consumption of natural DHT blockers at this time.

Looks like I might have to increase my level of inactivity!

MAO

Back to top Go down

Post  empty Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:15 am

teacup wrote:One other quick note.. on "earthing" The theory behind this is that our modern lifestyle keeps out body from touching the ground and getting electrically grounded. This is due to shoes, carpets, cars, ..everywhere we go we are wearing rubber shoes that keep us from grounding. The theory also mentions some sort of bio-rythm that needs to reconnect to the planet's rhythm and if it doesnt it gets out of a wack like an older clock that needed to be adjusted every few months. I'm new to this "earthing" and it all may be hogwash, but if gravity is a factor then maybe "earthing" also is a factor, most our ancestors didn't wear rubber or wooden shoes rather went barefoot or used leather.

There are still a lot of people out there that don't wear shoes all day long... ever stepped into a Japanese-styled home?

empty

Back to top Go down

Post  fender89 Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:29 am

by the way, just to point out...

i really hope it's not squating cause, it will do squat IMO ( see what i did there LOL )

I say this because, ive been doing martial arts for years, we have to sit in squat like positions, only in a wider stance i guess. and hold it for ages. also alot of deep stances etc.

fender89

Back to top Go down

Post  teacup Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:33 pm

empty wrote:

There are still a lot of people out there that don't wear shoes all day long... ever stepped into a Japanese-styled home?

The theory is that inside a home one is not grounded even if barefoot, carpets, wood, rugs, chairs.. Unless one is walking barefoot in an unfinished basement they may not be earthing inside the home
teacup
teacup

Back to top Go down

Post  Espio Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:45 pm

fender89 wrote:by the way, just to point out...

i really hope it's not squating cause, it will do squat IMO ( see what i did there LOL )

I say this because, ive been doing martial arts for years, we have to sit in squat like positions, only in a wider stance i guess. and hold it for ages. also alot of deep stances etc.

I went to an Escrima (stickfighting martial art) seminar in Stockton, California a few months ago and I was amazed at how many bald people there were. Young, healthy men of all races (mostly white, phillipino, and mexican). But it seems like martial artists have a lot of premature baldness.

Espio

Back to top Go down

Post  teacup Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:05 pm

could that be attributed to stress?
teacup
teacup

Back to top Go down

Post  barefoot Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:48 pm

misterE wrote:... reading thru the excerpts I have the impression that the author is implying that MPB is caused by cardiovascular-disease. The frightening part is; numerous studies have shown that this is true and that MPB is strongly associated with cardiovascular-disease [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]! In fact, heart-disease is only one of the "big-three" diseases associated with MPB!

So now that we know for a fact that MPB is associated with heart-disease, we should look for doctors who have shown to reverse heart-disease using diet, wouldn’t that make sense?

It seems to make sense that if MPB is caused by cardiovascular-disease (CVD), then preventing CVD through healthy diet might also address MPB.

But in the excerpts, the author associated CVD with MPB, but did not imply causation and also stated that, while healthy diets may help some people, it will not prevent balding in general. His argument is a lot of epidemiological data would have uncovered that theory by now if diet were a strong factor in MBP. I agree that a lot of data has been collected to investigate association of many conditions with diet.

His argument may also be supported by the fact that, in many cases, MPB occurs before heart diseases even develop while many balding men have been found to be free from heart conditions.

Association of one condition with another does not always mean causation of the other because it can also mean that a factor common to both may be the contributing factor. In this case, diet had been suspect but studies and arguments point otherwise.

barefoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next