Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
3 bottles of iodine sitting on the wall.... EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
3 bottles of iodine sitting on the wall.... EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
3 bottles of iodine sitting on the wall.... EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
3 bottles of iodine sitting on the wall.... EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
3 bottles of iodine sitting on the wall.... EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
3 bottles of iodine sitting on the wall.... EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
3 bottles of iodine sitting on the wall.... EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
3 bottles of iodine sitting on the wall.... EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
3 bottles of iodine sitting on the wall.... EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

3 bottles of iodine sitting on the wall....

4 posters

Go down

3 bottles of iodine sitting on the wall.... Empty 3 bottles of iodine sitting on the wall....

Post  fineline Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:43 am

New here, this forum is the only one I've signed up to as it matches my skepticism towards drug companies and belief that Mother Nature should be embraced and not suppressed at all costs. I don't have progressive MPB but an unfortunately ragged hairline owing to scarring (although if treating my current situation helped fend of potential MPB in the future, so much the better). I've been using iodine as it's said to help with scars and has the dual benefit of (anecdotally) restoring hair. I've three different types and would like to know which is the best to use topically (mixed with a carrier):

a) Lugols - only problem here is the staining in a visible place.
b) White iodine (from Mexico) - a lot of the stories center on applying white iodine but this widely available one contains a lot of other stuff like ammonia (and has a skull and crossbones on the bottle!).
c) Natural white iodine - only ingredients are distilled water and potassium iodide - is it lacking something necessary?

I've searched the forum for a close answer but most discussion is at a level beyond my grasp of chemistry. I guess all I want to know is which one(s) are most likely to get the job done. I get good amounts of iodine internally having consumed sea vegetables for a while and am using it topically as a shot in the dark at maybe thickening up my hairline.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

fineline

Back to top Go down

3 bottles of iodine sitting on the wall.... Empty Re: 3 bottles of iodine sitting on the wall....

Post  ubraj Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:10 am

Topically, can use Lugol's or the Natural White Iodine. Avoid the other that contains ammonia.

If you use Lugol's topically, would want to apply at night due to the brown stain. If the brown stain becomes a problem can add a touch of ascrobic acid which will convert the Iodine and Iodide content of Lugol's to just Iodide making it the same as natural white iodine.

BTW, you'll want the 2% Lugol's. 5% Lugol's can burn your skin.

Also, would recommend to apply without the carrier first, then add a carrier later if looking for better results.

ubraj

Back to top Go down

3 bottles of iodine sitting on the wall.... Empty Re: 3 bottles of iodine sitting on the wall....

Post  fineline Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:30 am

Thanks for the quick reply - I guess I'll go natural white iodine for now and monitor my progress. Incidentally, here's the one I found (natural lugol's seems widely available whereas colorless is somewhat rarer) - I'm more than happy to be pointed in the direction of a superior option but, in the meantime, hope this helps if anyone's looking for a discrete, relatively natural way of applying iodine.

http://drclarkstore.com/white-iodine.html

fineline

Back to top Go down

Post  Maup Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:55 am

I also have the white iodine with the skull and crossbones on it but i didn't know it had ammonia in it. The only ingredients listed on the bottle are 45% alcohol and decolourized iodine. The brand is De La Cruz is that the same you have?

I already applied it a couple of times, hope it didn't do any damage to my scalp. It does smell extremely chemical and strong, even made me a little dizzy after i smelled it.

Maup

Back to top Go down

Post  Yanks Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:04 am

JDP, so how does IOSOL measure up for topical application? It has ammonium iodide in it. Would that cause any problems or is it the pur ammonia that's damaging only?
Yanks
Yanks

Back to top Go down

Post  fineline Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:17 am

I also have the De La Cruz - 'ammonia solution' is listed as an 'inactive ingredient' (towards the bottom of the peel away label). That was enough to dissuade me from applying it and instead seek out an alternative - not sure if I'm being overly cautious. Like I say, the link I posted is the best one I've found so far but if anyone knows a source for colorless, ammonia free lugol's, please let me know. I'm inclined to think there is something to the old wives' tales I read about white iodine as they seem mutually excusive and geographically dispersed. More than a coincidence.

To expand the topic, I may see whether the iodine produces vellus sprouts and then try some papain to clear away some further scar tissue and, fingers crossed, thicken the hair. I guess I'll have to cross that bridge...

fineline

Back to top Go down

Post  Maup Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:22 am

Damnit i didn't notice that tiny peel away label, that was pretty stupid of me. So the nasty smell was ammonia. I thought it only contained alcohol and white iodine. I'm starting to get a little worried now, i already applied this poison 4 or 5 times and left it on for a couple of hours.

I've been going through a huge shed for about a month now and i thought it was just a summer-shed, but this makes me think it might be the ammonia. Could this be true? Maybe JDP or some of the other experienced posters can tell me if ammonia can be causing my extra hairloss?

For the last 4 or 5 weeks i've been putting it mixed with a little water or olive oil on my head once a week. Lucky i found this thread or i might have kept using this sh#t. I'm gonna throw this stuff in the garbage right away.

Maup

Back to top Go down

3 bottles of iodine sitting on the wall.... Empty Maup

Post  fineline Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:55 am

Personally I'd err on the side of caution and not use ammonia (based on my perceptions rather than any scientific ability). That said, after only a couple of applications, I wouldn't stress over it - potential for these things to become self fulfilling prophecies. The anecdotal evidence on the Internet seems to have been based on regular over the counter stuff (in the old days often) and so I wouldn't imagine that was all pure and natural - I'm trying to use the stories in conjunction with the knowledge gained froms sites like this. I must admit for pretty much the only white iodine widely available, they've been extremly underhand in stating what goes inside. If your hair's long enough to cover staining, you can always find great quality Lugol's and the ascorbic acid tip from JDP may help, too. Good luck.

fineline

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down