Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Crohn's Disease EmptyToday at 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Crohn's Disease EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Crohn's Disease EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Crohn's Disease EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Crohn's Disease EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Crohn's Disease EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Crohn's Disease EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Crohn's Disease EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Crohn's Disease EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Crohn's Disease

+5
kijumn
isaac
LittleFighter
CausticSymmetry
sdguy
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Crohn's Disease Empty Crohn's Disease

Post  sdguy Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:51 am

So after a year of abdominal discomfort, a colonoscopy, endoscopy, and whatnot my primary care guy seems to think I have Crohn's disease because of inflammation of the small bowel and lymph nodes seen in a CT scan. I'm going to see a GI doc to see what he thinks, just wondering if anyone has any experience with this and suggestions.

sdguy

Back to top Go down

Crohn's Disease Empty Re: Crohn's Disease

Post  CausticSymmetry Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:56 pm

sdguy - Crohne's disease isn't easy to diagnose. Many doctors will tell patients who don’t respond to treatment that they have crohne's, colitis or irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).

In many instances, most doctors jump to these diagnoses without considering one other possible cause--yeast overgrowth. The reason is that the symptoms very similar to Crohne's, colitis and IBS. The answer here is first eliminate this yeast overgrowth to see if symptoms still exist, because most of the time, this will resolve the problem and no lifetime worth of Crohne's treatment will no longer be necessary.

For now, it's best to assume there is a problem with yeast overgrowth.

The fastest way is to eliminate all carbohydrates, which means all starches, sugars, grains, beans, or fruits for the first two weeks. Then resume eating carbs after this point.

At the time of carbohydrate cessation try one of two prescription antifungals, either Nystatin or Diflucan. The reason is that either of these is generally safe and work quickly.

Finally, it's important to repopulate the intestinal flora with a good probiotic.

So by the end of two weeks, if there is no progress, then the following can help:

Carnivora (venus fly trap extract). What it does is digest foreign proteins in the body that could be the underlying cause of Crohne's. I happen to have several capsules and liquid form of this on hand and will be happy to sell it wholesale if anyone is interested. Here's is more information about it: http://www.carnivora.com/

Another product I suggest is Ace Dragon peptides. What this is offers is an alternative source of a positive parasite infection. Understand that in third world countries, Crohne's doesn't exist and the reason is because of healthy parasite infection, that ultra hygienic places like the USA do not offer.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00014IDKY/185-5091930-4102113?ie=UTF8&smid=A1CQHAUGU9QGBS&tag=yahoo-hpc06-20&linkCode=asn

It's a good idea to avoid pasteurized milk because this can be a source of MAP, which is a type of protein that can cause either crohne's disease and ulcerative colitis.

Another option is going on low dose naltrexone or LDN for short. It modulates the immune system against inflammation. Here's more information about it here: www.lowdosenaltrexone.org This does require a prescription from a doctor, but if it does not resolve using the other two methods, I would go with this as a treatment option.

Note that the first two supplements mentioned, while generally unknown to most people, offer a real hope of a cure. It's not a guarantee, but it's a real possibility.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:33 pm

Besides taking CS's recommendations, you might want to take a look at this blog:

http://crohnscolitis.blogspot.com/

A woman who cured her crohn's with Oregano Oil and key probiotics.

Everything I've read and researched about crohn's and related diseases points to disbacteriosis as the cause or a key element of it.

You should really incorporate probiotics. Not every probiotic is the same, and in some situations, may worsen things. This is because some of them can actually promote inflammation and their by'products can irritate the lining of the intestines even more. Two probiotics, extremly well researched and safe are Lactobacillus GG and Saccharomyces Boulardii, those are the ones that I can recommend you to look at.
LittleFighter
LittleFighter

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:43 pm

Something for you to read:

http://www.nleducation.co.uk/?s=crohn%27s&x=0&y=0

Vitamin D, dysbiosis and more.
LittleFighter
LittleFighter

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:51 pm

This supports what CS just said about developed countries:

Trichuris Suis

Ulcerative colitis is rare in developing countries. A higher rate of helminth infections and colonisation is thought to be a potential reason for this. Chronic helminthic infections cause persistent immune activation that results in hyporesponsiveness and anergy [Borkow et al. 2000]. This impaired immune function may diminish the capacity of these individuals to mount an immune response and hence decrease the risk of ulcerative colitis.

Something about probiotics:

Probiotics

Modulate the immune system in the gut by inducing protective cytokines and suppressing proinflammatory cytokines. Trials have shown their benefit in preventing relapse in UC. E. coli 1917 Nissle was as effective as 5-ASA in preventing relapse [Rembacken et al. 1999]. A combination of eight species of bacteria called VSL#3, in combination with balsalazide, was slightly more effective than balsalazide or mesalamine alone in mild-to-moderate ulcerative colitis[Tursi et al. 2004]. Lactobacillus GG was shown to be more effective then mesalamine in prolonging relapse free time in ulcerative colitis [Zocco et al. 2006].
Saccharomyces Boulardii

In ulcerative colitis, a preliminary trial showed Saccharomyces boulardii to be effective in treatment [Guslandi M etal 2003] A group of 25 patients with a mild to moderate clinical flare-up of ulcerative colitis received additional treatment with S. boulardii 250 mg three times a day for 4 weeks during maintenance treatment with mesalazine. These patients were unsuitable for steroid therapy. Before and after treatment, Rachmilewitz’s clinical activity index was calculated. The probiotic treatment was considered a therapeutic success only when the final score was lower than 6. Of the 24 patients who completed the study, 17 attained clinical remission; this was confirmed endoscopically. These preliminary results suggest that S. boulardii can be effective in the treatment of ulcerative colitis.
LittleFighter
LittleFighter

Back to top Go down

Post  sdguy Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:29 pm

That's great info CS, the one thing I wonder about is that I've had this discomfort in my left abdomen for over a year (severity comes and goes) is that symptomatic of yeast overgrowth?

Thanks for the links Littlefighter, I'm scanning the oregano site right now. Crohn's or not I'm pretty sure I need to work some good probiotics into my diet. Are you the one who's eating kefir?

sdguy

Back to top Go down

Post  isaac Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:42 pm

CS,

Do you believe Nystatin or Diflucan are more effective than the natural anti-fungals?

Thanks

isaac

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:44 am

I'm not eating Kefir right now... it could be a little harsh for some with inflammed intestines. Don't get me wrong, Kefir is GREAT, but ideally use it once you're healed, in my opinion.
LittleFighter
LittleFighter

Back to top Go down

Post  sdguy Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:31 am

Started my no starches, sugars, grains, beans, fruits diet today and it was not easy finding stuff to eat at the store! I know I'm going to be hungry for the next few weeks, just hope the die-off isn't too nasty.

sdguy

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:49 am

isaac - In terms of potency, not too many and I can say that some patients do not react well to diflucan, so if there's no huge hurry, better to try the naturals instead.

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:51 am

A new study has found that Vitamin D, readily available in supplements or cod liver oil, can counter the effects of Crohn's disease. John White, an endocrinologist at the Research Institute of the McGill University Health Centre, led a team of scientists from McGill University and the Université de Montréal who present their findings about the inflammatory bowel disease in the latest Journal of Biological Chemistry. “Our data suggests, for the first time, that Vitamin D deficiency can contribute to Crohn's disease,” says Dr. White, a professor in McGill's Department of Physiology, noting that people from northern countries, which receive less sunlight that is necessary for the fabrication of Vitamin D by the human body, are particularly vulnerable to Crohn's disease.

Vitamin D, in its active form (1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D), is a hormone that binds to receptors in the body's cells. Dr. White's interest in Vitamin D was originally in its effects in mitigating cancer. Because his results kept pointing to Vitamin D's effects on the immune system, specifically the innate immune system that acts as the body's first defense against microbial invaders, he investigated Crohn's disease. “It's a defect in innate immune handling of intestinal bacteria that leads to an inflammatory response that may lead to an autoimmune condition,” stresses Dr. White.

What Vitamin D does
Dr. White and his team found that Vitamin D acts directly on the beta defensin 2 gene, which encodes an antimicrobial peptide, and the NOD2 gene that alerts cells to the presence of invading microbes. Both Beta-defensin and NOD2 have been linked to Crohn's disease. If NOD2 is deficient or defective, it cannot combat invaders in the intestinal tract.

What's most promising about this genetic discovery, says Dr. White, is how it can be quickly put to the test. “Siblings of patients with Crohn's disease that haven't yet developed the disease might be well advised to make sure they're vitamin D sufficient. It's something that's easy to do, because they can simply go to a pharmacy and buy Vitamin D supplements. The vast majority of people would be candidates for Vitamin D treatment.”

“This discovery is exciting, since it shows how an over-the-counter supplement such as Vitamin D could help people defend themselves against Crohn's disease,” says Marc J. Servant, a professor at the Université de Montréal's Faculty of Pharmacy and study collaborator. “We have identified a new treatment avenue for people with Crohn's disease or other inflammatory bowel diseases.”

Funding
This study was funded by a grant from McGill University.

About the Study
The article “Direct and indirect induction by 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 of theNOD2/CARD15-beta defensin 2 innate immune pathway defective in Crohn's disease,” published in The Journal of Biological Chemistry, was authored by Tian-Tian Wang, Basel Dabbas, Ari J. Bitton, Hafid Soualhine, Luz E. Tavera-Mendoza, Serge Dionne, Alain Bitton, Ernest G. Seidman, Marcel A. Behr and John H. White of McGill University and the McGill University Health Centre in collaboration with Marc J. Servant, David Laperriere, Sylvie Mader of the Université de Montréal.

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sdguy Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:54 pm

If I'm going after yeast anyway, should I nuke it with like 50mg of iodine/day? Just got some new lugol's in and wondering how I should dose for the next few weeks (usually do 12.5mg every day or two).

sdguy

Back to top Go down

Post  sdguy Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:30 am

Went with 50mg iodine today and was surprised that it had such a kick, I could feel the back of my throat burning after it went down.

sdguy

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:26 am

sdguy wrote:Went with 50mg iodine today and was surprised that it had such a kick, I could feel the back of my throat burning after it went down.

sdguy, make sure you take it with enough water, and if you feel it in your throat just wash it down with more water.
LittleFighter
LittleFighter

Back to top Go down

Post  kijumn Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:32 am

To add to LittleFighter,

Make sure you take it on an empty stomach otherwise the Iodine will just be converted to Iodide.

Also, make sure you're taking selenium ... selenomethionine.

If you start getting pimples, that's the bromide and the salt water protocol takes care of that.

The burning sensation is because Iodine is an oxidant but a very good prooxidant .... cancer, etc..

It's also recommended to take multiple times per day over one large dose in the day to preserve your friendly bacteria. Although, I've never had a problem taking 200 mg at a time.

Iodine is just so-so regarding candida, etc.. Combining with boron is said to be even better.
kijumn
kijumn

Back to top Go down

Post  sdguy Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:36 am

Thanks guys, I'm taking selenium and will break it up into 2 doses tmw. Didn't know to take it on an empty stomach, appreciate the tip jdp.

sdguy

Back to top Go down

Post  sdguy Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:39 pm

CS, I'm trying to stick with the yeast-killing diet, is it a problem to have a glass of red wine with dinner? How about snacky stuff like green olives, almonds, and walnuts?

sdguy

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:56 pm

sdguy - Probably okay on all counts. A probiotic will help keep it in check.

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  scottyc33 Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:32 am

LittleFighter wrote:Besides taking CS's recommendations, you might want to take a look at this blog:

http://crohnscolitis.blogspot.com/

A woman who cured her crohn's with Oregano Oil and key probiotics.

Everything I've read and researched about crohn's and related diseases points to disbacteriosis as the cause or a key element of it.

You should really incorporate probiotics. Not every probiotic is the same, and in some situations, may worsen things. This is because some of them can actually promote inflammation and their by'products can irritate the lining of the intestines even more. Two probiotics, extremly well researched and safe are Lactobacillus GG and Saccharomyces Boulardii, those are the ones that I can recommend you to look at.

Hey Littlefighter - what do you think of this probiotic:

http://www.aligngi.com/

scottyc33

Back to top Go down

Post  sdguy Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:12 am

I'm through the first week of no grains, beans, sugars (except for a few carrots), starches, or fruits, and besides being bored of the food I'm eating things are going well and I have a little more energy. One side effect I've noticed is that I'm not moving nearly as much material when I use the restroom, is mild constipation common? I'm guessing it's the lack of fruit, is there any way to return things to normal naturally without ruining my yeast-killing?

sdguy

Back to top Go down

Post  hair grower Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:32 am

hey sdguy, you really need to check out the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (scd). It seems to be very effective for chron's and ulcerative colitis as well as other intestinal disturbances. The idea is simple, you can eat everything except complex sugars, in other words, when it comes to carbs you can only eat monosaccharides. This means no grains, potato, rice, table sugar etc.. What you can eat is all meat (real meat, no sausage or the like), most fruits and veggies as well as some beans and nuts (after a while). You can use honey as a sweetener. Simple sugars need no enzyme activity in the gut and are readily availeble for absorbtion. Complex sugars, on the other hand, need to be broken down by enzymes in/on the microvilli, which are weakened/nonexistent when the gut lining has suffered damage. When carbs go undigested through the beginning of the small intestine, they'll be digested by bacteria and fungi in the small and large intestine. Avoiding complex sugars will allow the gut heal.

Check out the reviews of the "bible" Breaking the Vicious Cycle by Elaine Gottschall
http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Vicious-Cycle-Intestinal-Through/dp/0969276818

Lots of stuff about this diet on the internet.

hair grower

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:46 am

The Gottschall is very frequently used for crohne's.

There's been a lot of press lately on the importance of vitamin D and Crohne's.

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sdguy Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:05 am

Thanks hair grower, I'm off to the library to pick up the book.

CS, I've recently begun supplementing with 5,000IU of D3 per day, so maybe that's helping out too.

sdguy

Back to top Go down

Post  hair grower Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:37 am

Just happy to spread the word Smile I'm in the process of beginning to implement it and despite being far from exclusive on the diet, I'm already seeing results. Mainly better blood sugar stability and clarity of mind. I actually think this might be what I (and many others) need to do to finally heal my digestion. Inflammation on scalp is way down as well. Looking good, in other words. It takes quite a commitment to fully implement it though, lots of cooking.

Good luck and let us know if you decide to try it!

hair grower

Back to top Go down

Post  sdguy Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:52 am

Hair grower, I've been reading through the book and it's pretty interesting. I guess I've been doing a stricter version of the diet for the past week and do feel a little better. I agree that it's more work but I'm going to give it a try and see what happens over the next 3 months or so. Thanks again for the heads up!

sdguy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next