Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
General Consensus of Tocotrienols EmptyToday at 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
General Consensus of Tocotrienols EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
General Consensus of Tocotrienols EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
General Consensus of Tocotrienols EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
General Consensus of Tocotrienols EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
General Consensus of Tocotrienols EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
General Consensus of Tocotrienols EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
General Consensus of Tocotrienols EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
General Consensus of Tocotrienols EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

General Consensus of Tocotrienols

+15
oblomov
theseeker
goten574
Yanks
CausticSymmetry
Gibson
mphatesmpb
scottyc33
Jocko59
zender
tao81
meoki
The Natural
helpmyhair1
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

General Consensus of Tocotrienols Empty General Consensus of Tocotrienols

Post  helpmyhair1 Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:55 am

Hey guys,

just wondering what the general consensus of tocotrienols is. I've been taking them for 2 months and have just finished my bottle and am contemplating whether I should buy another bottle.. but with a 40 dollar price tags, I'm not sure...

So I'm wondering if its been working for the people who are using it. I know its tough to determine as I'm sure you are supplement on other stuff. Though, I haven't heard of anyone saying that its really helped, since the studies claiming 40% regrowth came out some time ago. I feel that those studies were kind of questionable.

So should I get it, or save me money for other supps. I'm currently just on Curcumin and Resveratrol.

I'll be testing the new A&G HC when my shipment arrives as well.

helpmyhair1

Back to top Go down

General Consensus of Tocotrienols Empty Re: General Consensus of Tocotrienols

Post  The Natural Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:03 pm

It was recently discussed here that supplements should be take for at least three months to determine the effect, if any.

If you really want to know how effective a supplement is, then take only, in this case, tocotrienols for several months, and see how your hair is affected. I have done so, and can tell you that tocotrienols did not stop my hair loss, but did slow it down - Toco-Sorb. Since adding curcumin and resveratrol, I find tocotrienols in more of a supportive role, helping to thicken hair that has regrown - Toco-8.

More importantly, this admittedly more expensive type of vitamin E is a real energy booster..

The Natural

Back to top Go down

Post  meoki Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:20 pm

Could the tocotrienols content of Stabilized bran rice provide the same good effects as Palm oil?.
I have noted the same effects with toco 8 as The Natural (thanks for your information).This product seems very interesting with B vitamins,tocotrienols and other antioxidants.I have emailed Nutracea asking about possible hair benefits of SBR but havenĀ“t received any response yet.

meoki

Back to top Go down

Post  tao81 Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:59 pm

I think they are a wast of money. Very short half life in vivo, expensive and no human studies.

tao81

Back to top Go down

Post  The Natural Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:27 pm

tao81 wrote:I think they are a wast of money. Very short half life in vivo, expensive and no human studies.

Tao, personal testimony and feedback from posters (with whom you are familiar) trump "human studies" carried out by people you will never meet in person or online.

Yes, tocotrienols can be expensive, and I won't argue the merits of your "very short half life in vivo" claim. But to state that tocotrienols are a "waste of money" is, pardon me, ignorant, unless, of course, this statement of yours is based upon personal experience with tocotrienols over a significant period of time.

The Natural

Back to top Go down

Post  zender Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:32 am

I've been taking 3 toco-sorb caps a day since mid-july.Sorry to report no improvement whatsoever:(

zender

Back to top Go down

General Consensus of Tocotrienols Empty Perhaps you should try Toco-8**

Post  Jocko59 Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:57 am

NM

Jocko59

Back to top Go down

Post  scottyc33 Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:03 am

meoki wrote:Could the tocotrienols content of Stabilized bran rice provide the same good effects as Palm oil?.
I have noted the same effects with toco 8 as The Natural (thanks for your information).This product seems very interesting with B vitamins,tocotrienols and other antioxidants.I have emailed Nutracea asking about possible hair benefits of SBR but havenĀ“t received any response yet.

I am also interested in whether the Stabilized Rice Bran would provide the same benefits.

scottyc33

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:11 pm

Maybe the reason many people are not having success with tocotrienol supplementation is poor absorption:

Dietary fat must be sufficient in amount for adequate secretions of the lipases and bile. Like other fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, K), the absorption of tocotrienols will not be complete without the presence of dietary fat. Therefore their absorption in the bloodstream will be erratic, especially when taken in fasted condition. The consistency of bile and lipase secretions in between doses also plays a major role in determining the extent of absorption.

Link: http://www.tocotrienol.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=85&Itemid=53
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:18 pm

From the glossary on tocotrienol.org:

Oxidative Stress

Oxidative damage inflicted on the orgasm by reactive oxygen derived free radicals. it reflects the failure of the organism to maintain its healthy antioxidant protection.

lol. http://www.tocotrienol.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=57&Itemid=67
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  4039 Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:31 pm

I could see someone having far greater success with palm oil. Tocotrienol extracts are too many steps removed. Add CoQ10 powder with a little limonene and it's even better. For the same reason I take grapeseed extract and/or resveratrol sometimes while eating grapes.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gibson Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:31 pm

This company sources from Nutracea, but makes a more potent product somehow. i get crazy insomnia from their rice bran, not stimulating, just way too much energy. Perhaps the most potent super--food i have ever had. If you want to check out stabilized rice bran I'd check out their product:

http://lifestar.com/Pages/productlist.html

Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post  Gibson Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:33 pm

4039 wrote:I could see someone having far greater success with palm oil. Tocotrienol extracts are too many steps removed. Add CoQ10 powder with a little limonene and it's even better. For the same reason I take grapeseed extract and/or resveratrol sometimes while eating grapes.

Stabilized rice bran has naturally occurring coq10 and ala, among other antioxidants.

Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post  scottyc33 Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:18 pm

Gibson wrote:This company sources from Nutracea, but makes a more potent product somehow. i get crazy insomnia from their rice bran, not stimulating, just way too much energy. Perhaps the most potent super--food i have ever had. If you want to check out stabilized rice bran I'd check out their product:

http://lifestar.com/Pages/productlist.html

Hey Gibsom which one are you using - the Sante Comples or the Genesis Complex?

Ecklonia Cava
Krill Oil
Decalcify
Rejuvaplex Topical

Other
Ubiquinol
ALCAR
Liv 52
Iodine
Ashwagandha

SUPERFOODS: Energy First and Sun Warrior Protein, Dessicated Liver, Concentrace, Colostrum, Brewers Yeast, Fermented Cod Liver & High Vitamin Butter Oil

scottyc33

Back to top Go down

Post  Gibson Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:14 am

Scotty--

it's been a while (years), and I had to drop it because of the insomnia. That said, I have tried Swansons, which is nutracea, and one other brand which had course fiber in it, and neither was as potent as the lifestar stuff. The one I used probably is the precursor to the Genesis version, as it had some fiber and their C-plex vitamin added, but not the probiotics and minerals, so they probably evolved the product. At that time, they also offered the product with no fiber, but I think that is aimed at people with diseases, or something and basically they told me to get the other one. I would call and ask what they recommend. In the past, their comstumer service was thorough and all my questions would be answered. Also, i would inquire if they offer samples. They offered samples in the past at minimal cost.

Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post  Gibson Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:25 am

To clarify: Fiber isn't added in any of the products, rather it isn't all removed.

Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post  scottyc33 Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:39 am

Gibson wrote:Scotty--

it's been a while (years), and I had to drop it because of the insomnia. That said, I have tried Swansons, which is nutracea, and one other brand which had course fiber in it, and neither was as potent as the lifestar stuff. The one I used probably is the precursor to the Genesis version, as it had some fiber and their C-plex vitamin added, but not the probiotics and minerals, so they probably evolved the product. At that time, they also offered the product with no fiber, but I think that is aimed at people with diseases, or something and basically they told me to get the other one. I would call and ask what they recommend. In the past, their comstumer service was thorough and all my questions would be answered. Also, i would inquire if they offer samples. They offered samples in the past at minimal cost.

Thanks I will call them.

It's a little disappointing that you can't order online and that they don't give prices online either. Sad

scottyc33

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:33 am

The patent issued for tocotrienols and hair loss uses the exact same stuff as Toco-Sorb from Jarrow:

http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Toco-Sorb-Mixed-Tocotrienols-and-Vitamin-E-60-Softgels/137?at=0

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:25 pm

Following up on my last post about the fat-solubility of tocotrienols, I did some research and learned that curcumin and resveratrol are also fat-soluble. This got me thinking: what if I was to open up the curc/res capsules and dump their contents into a little bit of butter melting in a pan? in theory, this would increase their bioavailability. But is it possible that the capsules are necessary to protect the compounds from damage as they move through the GI?

-MP
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  Yanks Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:42 pm

when i was taking toco-sorb my hair seemed to fall a lttle less easily. could have also been coincidence though. i bought toco-8 from primordial performance a few months ago to replace it but cant make a fair assesment of it because i'm not consistent with taking it at all. I would so much rather mix powders in water than take capsules, but it's somewhat of an annoyance an keeps me from staying too conisitent with it. that's been my issue with toco-8
Yanks
Yanks

Back to top Go down

Post  scottyc33 Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:17 pm

Yanks wrote:when i was taking toco-sorb my hair seemed to fall a lttle less easily. could have also been coincidence though. i bought toco-8 from primordial performance a few months ago to replace it but cant make a fair assesment of it because i'm not consistent with taking it at all. I would so much rather mix powders in water than take capsules, but it's somewhat of an annoyance an keeps me from staying too conisitent with it. that's been my issue with toco-8

Yup same here. I'm very inconsistent with taking it because it's a powder.

scottyc33

Back to top Go down

Post  goten574 Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:32 am

Took 75 - 150mg of Swanson Tocotrienols daily for 7 months but didn't notice much in regards to hair. Maybe hair loss slowed... cannot say for sure
goten574
goten574

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:08 pm

Alpha Tocotrienol Reduces Oxidized LDL Cholesterol in Humans

Byron's Comments:
The ability of an antioxidant to protect LDL cholesterol from damage is highly supportive of health.

Study Title:
Studies of LDL oxidation following alpha-, gamma-, or delta-tocotrienyl acetate supplementation of hypercholesterolemic humans.

Study Abstract:
In vitro tocotrienols (T3s) have potent vitamin E antioxidant activity, but unlike tocopherols can inhibit cholesterol synthesis by suppressing 3-hydroxy-3-methyl-glutarylCoA (HMG-CoA) reductase. Because hypercholesterolemia is a major risk factor for coronary artery disease and oxidative modification of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) may be involved in atherogenesis, we investigated whether daily supplements of placebo, or alpha-, gamma-, or delta- (alpha-, gamma-, or delta-) tocotrienyl acetates would alter serum cholesterol or LDL oxidative resistance in hypercholesterolemics in a double-blind placebo controlled study.

Subjects were randomly assigned to receive placebo (n = 13), alpha- (n = 13), gamma- (n = 12), or delta- (n = 13) tocotrienyl acetate supplements (250 mg/d). All subjects followed a low-fat diet for 4 weeks, then took supplements with dinner for the following 8 weeks while still continuing diet restrictions. Plasma alpha- and gamma-tocopherols were unchanged by supplementation. Plasma T3s were undetectable initially and always in the placebo group.

Following supplementation in the respective groups plasma concentrations were: alpha-T3 0.98 +/- 0.80 micromol/l, gamma-T3 0.54 +/- 0.45 micromol/l, and delta-T3 0.09 +/- 0.07 micromol/l. Alpha-T3 increased in vitro LDL oxidative resistance (+22%, p <.001) and decreased its rate of oxidation (p <. 01). Neither serum or LDL cholesterol nor apolipoprotein B were significantly decreased by tocotrienyl acetate supplements. This study demonstrates that: (i) tocotrienyl acetate supplements are hydrolyzed, absorbed, and detectable in human plasma; (ii) tocotrienyl acetate supplements do not lower cholesterol in hypercholesterolemic subjects on low-fat diets; and (iii) alpha-T3 may be potent in decreasing LDL oxidizability.

I think this might be important. The study showed that only alpha-tocotrienol (and not the other three isoforms) was effective in protecting LDL from oxidation.
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  theseeker Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:06 pm

So what should i be looking for when choosing a Vit E supplement? The one I'm using at the moment which is this one - http://www.iherb.com/Country-Life-Natural-Vitamin-E-200-IU-100-Softgels/17371?at=0 Contains d-alpha tocopheryl. Is that the form that is most beneficial?

theseeker

Back to top Go down

Post  oblomov Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:27 am

4039 wrote:I could see someone having far greater success with palm oil. Tocotrienol extracts are too many steps removed. Add CoQ10 powder with a little limonene and it's even better. For the same reason I take grapeseed extract and/or resveratrol sometimes while eating grapes.

Instead of regular CoQ10, I suggest taking it in the idebenone form. I know, another expensive supplement, but well worth the additional expense IMO.

I buy idebenone as a pharmaceutical grade bulk powder, and take it suspended in walnut oil or avocado oil.

oblomov

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next