Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Does topical caffeine work? EmptyYesterday at 6:36 pm by grail

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Does topical caffeine work? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

» Medical Coder During C0NV!D
Does topical caffeine work? EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm by CausticSymmetry

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Does topical caffeine work? EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 12:44 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Potential Natural Products Regulation of Molecular Signaling Pathway in Dermal Papilla Stem Cells
Does topical caffeine work? EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 7:44 am by CausticSymmetry

» Breast Biopsy
Does topical caffeine work? EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 2:23 am by shaftless

» Sorry if brought up before but: Best topical to help aid in breaking up fibrosis?
Does topical caffeine work? EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:51 am by Hoppipolla

» solar eclipse on april 8
Does topical caffeine work? EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 4:04 am by shaftless

» Role and Mechanisms of Phytochemicals in Hair Growth and Health
Does topical caffeine work? EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 4:20 am by CausticSymmetry

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Does topical caffeine work?

+8
stan
ganny
Amaranthaceae
Gibson
nidhogge
CausticSymmetry
Misirlou
gl68
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Does topical caffeine work? Empty Does topical caffeine work?

Post  gl68 Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:06 am

Brian suggested using caffeine topically as DHT blocker (http://www.freewebs.com/immortalhair/topicals.htm). I wonder if anybody has tried that. Does it work? I also wonder why only use it only for 30 seconds. By only 30 seconds, can DHT be effectively blocked? In the study cited by Brian, hair follicles were cultivated in caffeine all the time for 120-192 hours.
I will appreciate if Brian could tell us if there is any side effect if one leaves topical caffeine on scalp all day long.
Thanks

gl68

Back to top Go down

Does topical caffeine work? Empty Re: Does topical caffeine work?

Post  Misirlou Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:41 am

I would love if this worked, but does it? So many substances seems to work in the lab but not in the real world..why is this? What a Face

Misirlou

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:21 am

gl68 - Despite the study, I really don't know. In fact, I flat out stopped using the caffeine in my Lithium/DMSO mix.

Why? When I put caffeine in the mix in the past, I would get headaches if I put too much in there or if a chunk of caffeine was put directly on the scalp. It's hard to distinguish between crumbs of lithium and crumbs of caffeine, as they are both white in color.

What I have heard is that the amount of caffeine used probably makes a difference. Personally, it don't think the caffeine is necessary.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  nidhogge Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:59 pm

Didn't really get headaches from the caffeine, but I cut it out and didn't notice any difference with it not being there. Irrelevant IMO.

As for why labs don't often translate to the real world--how many hairlossers actually stick with one regime for a long time? Not many.

nidhogge

Back to top Go down

Post  nidhogge Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:59 pm

Of course, that's not the only reason that lab results don't always translate to the real world, but I'd say it's the largest.

nidhogge

Back to top Go down

Post  Misirlou Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:54 pm

I would say that in the real world, efficiency requires a lot more then labish hamster flanky danky organ tests. I want to see these substances tried on REAL humans with REAL baldness. Used twice daily (or whatever) and measured every month or so. Anything else = Irrelevant.

Misirlou

Back to top Go down

Post  nidhogge Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:27 am

Misirlou--

It's about money. It costs a shitton of money to experiment on humans. So you can either wait around for decades while your hair continues to fall out or experiment on yourself using as much research as is available at the time. This site is lightyears ahead of the current medical community.

nidhogge

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:31 am

Here's the last thing I've seen on it. Note it was in vitro:

Int J Dermatol. 2007 Jan;46(1):27-35.
Effect of caffeine and testosterone on the proliferation of human hair follicles in vitro.
Fischer TW, Hipler UC, Elsner P.

Department of Dermatology and Allergology, Friedrich-Schiller-University, Jena, Germany. tobias.fischer@derma.uni-jena.de

BACKGROUND: Androgenetic alopecia (AGA) is a common problem in men of all ages, affecting approximately 50% at 50 years of age. The underlying cause is an androgen-dependent miniaturization of genetically predetermined hair follicles. Here, the hair organ culture model was used to investigate the effects of testosterone and caffeine; the latter being a promising candidate for hair growth stimulation. METHODS: Hair follicles from 14 biopsies, taken from the vertex areas from male AGA patients, were cultivated for 120-192 h in vitro with normal William's E medium (control) or William's E medium containing different concentrations of testosterone and/or caffeine. Hair shaft elongation was measured daily and at the end of cultivation, cryosections of follicles were stained with Ki-67 to evaluate the degree and localization of keratinocyte proliferation. RESULTS: Significant growth suppression was found in hair follicles treated with 5 microg/ml testosterone. This was counteracted by caffeine in concentrations of 0.001% and 0.005%. Moreover, caffeine alone led to a significant stimulation of hair follicle growth. These results were confirmed immunohistochemically by Ki-67 staining. CONCLUSIONS: Androgen-dependent growth inhibition of ex vivo hair follicles from patients suffering from AGA was present in the human hair organ culture model, a constellation which may serve for future studies to screen new substances against androgen-dependent hair loss. Caffeine was identified as a stimulator of human hair growth in vitro; a fact which may have important clinical impact in the management of AGA.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Misirlou Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:42 am

I agree with you nido, but never the less, a lot of crap gets realized that doesn't work or help. I though forums like this can help people find out what is most promising and then save both time and money.

The test IH just submitted. Sounds good with the positive conclusion and all..but where are all the success stories based on this ingredient? What are we doing wrong?

Misirlou

Back to top Go down

Post  nidhogge Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:00 am

Well this is an in vitro study, and in vitro often doesn't translate to in vivo. However, caffeine may act as a good hairloss halter, though does it promote hair growth? Regrow on balding spots? I don't know. I've not used it consistently enough to know. Not sure who does. Often people that have success don't report on success, only when they have a negative experience. People naturally like to complain, heh.

nidhogge

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:35 am

The bottom line is on caffeine, at least in my opinion based on using it for over a year. It's not necessary if you use Lithium/DMSO.

I don't miss the caffeine at all. I have a "ton" of it, but just have no motivation to use any.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Gibson Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:43 pm

i found nothing of note with the topical caffeine--dropped it as well.

Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post  Amaranthaceae Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:41 pm

My impression is that it helps keep the scalp healthy.

However it is important to use the right amount, appr. 0.2 to 0.5 % solution in alcohol.

Amaranthaceae

Back to top Go down

Post  Misirlou Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:18 am

Hmm. Tough one. To use or not to use - that is the question king

Could anyone give me a few lines about Lithium/DMSO - I'm really not into that, yet. Just a short summary.

Misirlou

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:37 am

Lithium has been shown in studies to cut sebum or skin oil in the scalp significantly. It's been used for disorders such as seborrheic dermatitis.

It has been compared to Ketoconazole (think Nizoral) and Lithium outperformed in it in the treatment of seborrheic dermatitis.

What does seborrheic dermatitis have to do with hair loss? Often where there's a high output of skin oil, there is a higher reservoir of DHT.

In addition, the cause of seborrheic dermatitis involve yeasts and other microorganisms, which are depopulated with Lithium. These same microorganisms may play a part in the inflammation process concerning androgenetic alopecia.

Lithium, also increases Wnt signaling and is a DKK-1 antagonist. DKK-1 is highly negative for hair growth, it is initially signaled by DHT and diminishes Wnt and differentiates stem cells in the skin to stay bald. Lithium, along with DMSO can fight DKK-1 and increase Wnt proteins, so that hair is favored or skin creation.

when gentle wounding is done, that allows a new opportunity with lithium that goes even further. Which is to bring the stem cells in the skin back to the embryonic stage and allow it the option to become a hair follicle instead of skin. Lithium & the DMSO will provide "extracellular matrix" material to turn what would be skin, back into hair.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Misirlou Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:48 am

Could this combo (Lithium/DMSO) be used without damaging the skin and still be useful?
My scalp feels oily and my hair as well.

Misirlou

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:48 am

Misirlou - Generally, it's well tolerated. For myself and many others there are no negative effects. However, I have heard of some reports
that it isn't always without incident. According to the studies, side-effects would be a rash, so if this were to occur, then it's not for you.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Misirlou Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:25 am

Any online store supplying a ready-2-use product with these ingredients? tongue

Misirlou

Back to top Go down

Post  ganny Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:54 pm

IH

As fate would have it, I purchased DMSO & Lithium but NOT the caffeine, so now I won't bother.

Question: You mention "wounding". I've read one other thread on this practice. Is this part of your regimen? Beyond promoting greater absorption of topicals, what are the benefits?

And how effective is DMSO and Lithium as a single remedy? How often should one treat their scalp with them?

Thanks for your site and your tireless effort to answer questions!

Gan

ganny

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:41 pm

ganny wrote:IH

As fate would have it, I purchased DMSO & Lithium but NOT the caffeine, so now I won't bother.

Question: You mention "wounding". I've read one other thread on this practice. Is this part of your regimen? Beyond promoting greater absorption of topicals, what are the benefits?

And how effective is DMSO and Lithium as a single remedy? How often should one treat their scalp with them?

Thanks for your site and your tireless effort to answer questions!

Gan

ganny - DMSO & Lithium combo is mixed in a natural shampoo. I use a completely natural shampoo that has no synthetic chemicals whatsoever, it's an Aubrey Organics product, one of the very few without anything undesirable in it. So the DMSO & Lithium are absorbed during the process of lathering in the shampoo, then rinsed off.

There's no need to leave it on.

As far as wounding is concerned, it's not something I have tried before. I may try it out, but it would to only slightly improve my hairline as fortunately for me my hair is no longer a concern.

I think wounding healing is a very viable practice for anyone who is a Norwood 2 and beyond. So far, there are techniques such as sandpaper 400 grade, TCA peels and even diabetic lancets. I think the TCA peels might be the most attractive route, since it may not affect the hair like sandpaper does.

Lithium & DMSO in the case of wounding would act as Wnt promoter material to act upon the stem cells and change their expression/differentiation, morphologically into hair from skin appendages.

But back to the rinse, it is not a stand alone, but can drastically cut down sebum. If you have an oily scalp or some inflammation, it definitely worth a try.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ganny Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:28 pm

TCA Peels?

Also, do you have any opinion on the following product:

Fabao 101 Formula

I have been using it for about four months, but I don't see any results yet.

Finally: I just purchased the shampoo you recommended. Some people say shampoo you're hair once a week, some more, some less?

What do you recommend?

ganny

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:48 pm

I have no experience with Fabao 101, but I'm sure others might have an idea.

Some of the ingredients are well known, one in particular would have the most promise. But user results would be the best way to evaluate its effectiveness.

Trichloroacetic acid (TCA) is a way to peel of superficial layers of the skin to create wounds, and allowing the stem cells to be ready to react to Lithium and DMSO for creating new hair.

I recommend to shampoo everyday.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  stan Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:13 pm

I have used the caffeine for about 45 days now based on the forumula on this site and seems to be working. I see the site has taken down using the caffeine. Does anyone know why?

My next step was to add the DMSO and Lithium to the formula with the caffeine.

stan

Back to top Go down

Post  nidhogge Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:43 am

No need for the caffeine really.

Btw guys, my custom chemical peel was a success. Let's see how my custom EGFR-inhibition and growth-promotion solution works now! Going to be making my own shampoo for all this as well, with the base being Neem soap flakes.

nidhogge

Back to top Go down

Post  Amaranthaceae Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:06 am

If caffeine works for you then keep using it. There are studies that demonstrates caffeine as a dht inhibitor and growth booster, but also in vivo that it penetrates the scalp sucesfully and can be detected inside the follicle (where we want it).

I also use caffeine together with msm on my face and have a very good experience of its healthy effects on skin.

Amaranthaceae

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next