Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Thyroid Supplementation - Zinc, Selenium & Iodine EmptyToday at 12:43 am by MikeGore

» zombie cells
Thyroid Supplementation - Zinc, Selenium & Iodine EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Thyroid Supplementation - Zinc, Selenium & Iodine EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Thyroid Supplementation - Zinc, Selenium & Iodine EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Thyroid Supplementation - Zinc, Selenium & Iodine EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Thyroid Supplementation - Zinc, Selenium & Iodine EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Thyroid Supplementation - Zinc, Selenium & Iodine EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Thyroid Supplementation - Zinc, Selenium & Iodine EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Thyroid Supplementation - Zinc, Selenium & Iodine EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Thyroid Supplementation - Zinc, Selenium & Iodine

+2
lund
kijumn
6 posters

Go down

Thyroid Supplementation - Zinc, Selenium & Iodine Empty Thyroid Supplementation - Zinc, Selenium & Iodine

Post  kijumn Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:50 pm

I thought this was a good post from peach_thru_unity here http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=912938#i

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The thyroid gland synthesizes two major hormones, triiodothyronine
(T3), which is the main biologically active thyroid hormone, and thyroxine (T4),
which is the precursor of the former. Thyroid hormones promote cellular growth and
development.
(Cavalieri 1997 (http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/129/1/174#B7)

The thyroid gland is morphologically organized in follicles. These contain
the colloid, surrounded by a single-layer epithelium. The shape of the
epithelial cells is strongly affected by thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH). The
synthesis of T4 and T3 occurs within thyroglobulin at the cell-colloid
interphase.

Microvilli project from the surface of the follicle into the colloid, followed
by endocytosis of thyroglobulin, which is in turn hydrolyzed to release the
hormones and transferred through the basal membrane to the capillary.
(Greenspan 1994
http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/129/1/174#B18).

Several micronutrients are involved in thyroid hormone metabolism. Iodine is
crucial for the formation of the hormones at the thyroid gland.
(Clugston and Hetzel 1994
http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/129/1/174#B9).

Between 59 and 65% of total body iodine is contained in the thyroid hormones. Selenium and zinc also have important roles in thyroid metabolism. Selenium
participates in the extrathyroidal deiodination of T4 to the active form T3.
(Arthur et al. 1993
http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/129/1/174#B4)

Zinc, in addition to its participation in protein synthesis, is involved in T3 binding to its nuclear receptor.
(Miyamoto et al. 1991
http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/129/1/174#B27)

Iodine deficiency is among the three most common nutritional deficiencies
worldwide. (WHO/UNICEFF/ICCIDD, 1994).

Zinc deficiency is thought to be a prevalent condition in less affluent societies. (Gibson 1994
http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/129/1/174#B13,
Ruz 1995
http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/129/1/174#B33)

Selenium deficiency, although less prevalent than iodine and zinc deficiencies, has also been reported in some areas of the globe.
(Levander 1987
http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/129/1/174#B23)

Current evidence indicates that the simultaneous occurrence of nutritional
deficiencies of more than one of these micronutrients could be more common than
previously considered.
(Diplock
http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/129/1/174#B12,
Vanderpas et al. 1993
http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/129/1/174#B40).

These situations may have important implications regarding the form in which such deficiencies are expressed. For instance, combined deficiency of selenium and iodine has been suggested as a potential determining factor in the development of the myxedematous or nervous form of endemic cretinism.
(Goyens et al. 1987
http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/129/1/174#B15,

Vanderpas et al. 1990
http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/129/1/174#B41)

Thus, there is a need to explore the effects of nutritional deficiencies of
iodine, selenium and zinc, either alone or in combination.
kijumn
kijumn

Back to top Go down

Thyroid Supplementation - Zinc, Selenium & Iodine Empty Re: Thyroid Supplementation - Zinc, Selenium & Iodine

Post  lund Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:48 pm

jdp710 - what are your under arm temperature readings in the morning?

I tried it on 4 days and I am consistently clocking 76.4, it looks like finally I am finding the source of my problems...grrrr Hypothyroid....

lund

Back to top Go down

Thyroid Supplementation - Zinc, Selenium & Iodine Empty Re: Thyroid Supplementation - Zinc, Selenium & Iodine

Post  Espio Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:00 pm

I assume you mean 96.4, unless you are a lizard.

Espio

Back to top Go down

Post  lund Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:49 pm

Yup -> 96.4, from what I understand this is a decent Hypo number

Interestingly, I have been on Iodine for some time (on and off) - everytime I try to bump up the dosage I get sides (aching pain on kidneys) so I have to go back and forth on this. Vit "C" and Selenium helps, but the dull aching pain (perhaps sign of detox) stays until I back off. So I am on Lugols (12-15mg /day), it may take some time before I could get the therapeutic dose of 50+mg/day....

Espio wrote:I assume you mean 96.4, unless you are a lizard.

lund

Back to top Go down

Post  Espio Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:33 am

The therapeutic dosage for iodine is 50 mg a day? That's 20 drops of lugol's, isn't that a lot? I've been taking 2 drops a day for about 6 months so I guess I haven't been taking enough.

Espio

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:11 am

Espio - I use the 5% stuff which is 8 drops for 50 milligrams. What kind are you using?
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  hapyman Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:32 am

Nice info JDP. I am feeling a lot different since being on Selenium. I even think I am starting to have some kind of detoxing reaction, which didn't happen while on just iodine. Does anyone know what these bromine outbreaks look like. I can't find a picture anywhere but I am getting these small red pustules that itch like crazy. At first I thought they were bug bites and still might be although they haven't gone away as fast as a bite would and there is so many of them some smaller than the others.

Guess I may have to check out that salt water link you posted on the other thread.
hapyman
hapyman

Back to top Go down

Post  Espio Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:42 am

I'm using 5% also. It says on the back that one drop is 2.5 mg. So that would mean 20 drops would be 50 mg.

Espio

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:09 am

Espio - This is interesting, thanks for pointing this out! I believe I've got the same kind you have and that's what mine says also (2.5 mg per drop). I have another brand I use sometimes called Iosol which is just over 1.8 mg per drop.

If you go here at jcrow's you'll see they have 6.25 per drop.

http://www.jcrowsmarketplace.com/1ozlugolssolution5valuepriceincludesshipping.aspx
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Espio Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:25 am

Mine is the kind you have an ad for on the immortalhair site, bloodroot products or whatever. Although I won't shop tehre again because they took a month to ship it out.

So are you going to start taking 20 drops a day now that you know this?

Espio

Back to top Go down

Post  kijumn Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:32 am

Hey lund,

I forget the exact temperature that I averaged under my armpit when waking up but I believe it was about 97.5 or so.

Just a tiny bit under the normal level. I also test my temperature throughout the day. Here is a test you can also perform but I'm guessing not as reliable as under the armpit first thing in the morning ... I average about 98.0

"You can determine your thyroid and adrenal status by following Dr. Rind with a temperature graph. You simply take your temp 3 times a day, starting three hours after you wake up, and every three hours after that, to equal three temps. (If you have eaten or exercised right before it’s time to take your temp, wait 20 more minutes.) Then average them for that day. Do this for AT LEAST 5 days. If your averaged temp is fluctuating from day to day more than .2 to .3, you need adrenal support. If it is fluctuating but overall low, you need more adrenal support and thyroid. If it is fluctuating but averaging 98.6, you just need adrenal support. If it is steady but low, you need more thyroid and adrenals are likely fine. (We note that mercury thermometers are the most accurate.)"

Hey hapyman,

I definitely have bromide outbreaks and the higher the Iodine/Iodide dosage, the more you'll get them. The bromide outbreaks wee originally small pimple like bumps. Now, with higher dosages I have/had full blown acne that can be popped. Also, shows up a little on my back. The Salt loading protocol eliminates this about 80%. I'm "guessing" Vitamin C reduces about 20% of the outbreaks.

Another very common symptom of Bromide detox is dark thoughts and short temper. I've seen this first hand as one of my family members is also detoxing and it's like severe PMS, lol. There are other symptoms as well but this appears to be the major detox symptoms from curezone that I gather.

If I'm not mistaken, Iodine toxicity ends up showing up as a sore throat only (?). I haven't confirmed that yet but that appears to be the info from curezone.
kijumn
kijumn

Back to top Go down

Post  kijumn Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:33 am

Here is some more interesting info

CAUSES OF HYPOTHYROIDISM

Many factors can combine to cause hypothyroidism. Here is my list of probable causes:

Insufficient selenium in the diet.
Insufficient zinc in the diet.
Excessive cadmium intake from smoking or possibly from eating large amounts of green leafy vegetables.
Mercury from silver amalgam dental fillings which depletes selenium.
Excessive intake of high copper foods (beans, nuts, etc.), combined with too little zinc and selenium.
Chromium deficiency.
Manganese deficiency.
Iron deficiency.
Cobalt deficiency (vitamin B-12).
Estrogen mimics from environmental and food sources such as from canned foods.
High intake of sulfur compounds in food, water, or air.

Dr. Derry says, "Iodine put onto scabs helps to organize total repair of the tissue. All pre-malignant lesions and many other oddities of the skin appear to respond to this regeneration process triggered by topical iodine.

http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1060156
kijumn
kijumn

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:21 am

Great info jdp710 thanks!

Espio - When I checked the back of my 5% lugol's I was affraid

I just updated the site, will be switching to Jccrow's instead of bloodrootproducts. Basketball
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  hapyman Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:24 am

I didn't realize it either but my Iodine is only 1%. Guess the 10 drops I have been taking is only 2mg. May look into switching again too.
hapyman
hapyman

Back to top Go down

Thyroid Supplementation - Zinc, Selenium & Iodine Empty Your math is messed up... :-)

Post  gregslater Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:48 am

6.25mg is the total iodine content ... as in 2.5mg I2 and 3.75mg KI - these are the numbers to use.

You often see labels with 130mg/mL listed. Usually people estimate 20 drops/mL ... 130/20 = 6.5 ... So you often see people list 6.5mg of total iodine (in form of iodine AND potassium iodide).

Use 6.25mg per vertical drop.
gregslater
gregslater

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:51 am

gregslater - That makes perfect sense, thank you!
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Espio Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:57 am

I've started taking 20 drops (50 mg) of iodine a day and 400 selenium a day, for just 2 days and I already have noticed a HUGE difference. In just a few days my average temperature has gone from 96.5 to 97.0. When I wake up in the morning I feel energized, I feel my heart beating faster in the morning.

Espio

Back to top Go down

Post  gregslater Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:23 am

Espio wrote:I've started taking 20 drops (50 mg) of iodine a day.

Just as long as you know that 50mg is the elemental iodine you are getting... along with 75mg of Potassium Iodide.

Lots of labels only show the elemental iodine amount as the name itself only references the elemental iodine (it's called 5% Lugol's, not 5% and 10% Lugol's). Of course the bloodroot folks can't even get the name of the salt form correct on their label... its potassium iodide, not potassium iodine.
gregslater
gregslater

Back to top Go down

Post  lund Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:22 pm

I am not sure about heart beating faster being a good thing...

I mean - the temperature going up is good (atleast in theory), feeling good in the AM is good - but then you pooped on the party by bringing in the increased heart rate. When you 1st wake up in the morning, it really sholuld be your resting heart rate which is generally lower than you normal heart rate (sitting walking, standing, laying at other times of the day)....

lund

Back to top Go down

Post  gregslater Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:23 pm

lund wrote:I am not sure about heart beating faster being a good thing...

Yeah, just how high are we talking Espio?

My fast pulse from LDN and Flexeril took around 10 days to drop back to normal. I was thinking my nodule might have went hyper and was about to get another panel ordered early. That combo was the best I had felt in a while... but that is off topic as it definitely wasn't natural or hair related Very Happy
gregslater
gregslater

Back to top Go down

Post  Espio Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:07 am

Oh my god, my temperature was 97.9 this morning!!!! Well I kind of cheated cause I got up and walked across the room to get the thermometer, then went back to lying down on bed then took it, so that may have raised it a little bit, but this is still amazing because prior to this week I have never even gotten any temperatures in the 97+ range.

To answer the questions, I don't think it's a huge difference in heart rate, although I haven't checked. What I meant was it just feels like my adrenaline gets going when I wake up in the morning, which is kind of a bad thing in a way because once I wake up I can't get back to sleep. Wheras before when I woke up I still felt like I was half-asleep.

Espio

Back to top Go down

Post  gregslater Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:23 am

If you have a digital blood pressure meter you should use it and check your pulse. I didn't think mine was 100 until I actually checked it because it wasn't like beating crazy out of my chest. I caught it because I check and record my pulse and other stats everyday. You can keep track of it (along with weight, blood pressure, blood sugar, temp, etc) with a program like CRON-O-Meter. Or a free online account with a service like HealtheHuman
gregslater
gregslater

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down