Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Manually relieving scalp tension EmptyYesterday at 8:05 am by CausticSymmetry

» zombie cells
Manually relieving scalp tension EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Manually relieving scalp tension EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Manually relieving scalp tension EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Manually relieving scalp tension EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Manually relieving scalp tension EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Manually relieving scalp tension EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Manually relieving scalp tension EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Manually relieving scalp tension EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Manually relieving scalp tension

3 posters

Go down

Manually relieving scalp tension Empty Manually relieving scalp tension

Post  Triangle Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:11 pm

After looking at the studies related to scalp tension, I was wondering about DIY ways to recreate the effects. There are some old posts on here from people like @SlowMoe and it seems people tried increasing the laxity of their scalps, though I'm not sure how many tried physically raising their scalp for extended periods...

Scalp Tension Relaxer (STR) study: pdf-archive.com/2017/07/11/scalp-relaxer-study/scalp-relaxer-study.pdf

When I try pushing different parts around my head up, my forehead and around the back don't seem to affect scalp laxity of very much. The sides seem to make a lot of difference though. Maybe that fits in with the pattern from the STR study where the blood flow seemed start filling in across the center.

So I have been trying to push the sides of my head upwards and hold it for as long as I can. If I lock my fingers over my head I'm able to hold it for longer, particularly when lying down. Then I try to release the pressure as much as I can without my scalp dropping. trying to fit in sessions in the morning before standing up and in the evening when I watch TV.

Using a head strap instead seemed to reduce blood flow and eventually my scalp looked a little blue. Wrapping some soft fabric around the front and back and using the manual method seems to push them up slightly without the pressure pinching anything off. According to the study the most significant increase in blood flow was after removing the device, and I don't really know what to make of that regarding grip tightness.

The problem is I don't have much ongoing inflammation, so it is hard to judge if it is helping or not. Would be interesting if anyone with acute inflammation tried something like this.

Sometimes at night I do experience inflammation though, and it is often on the side my head was against the pillow. Recently, using my other hand to raise the scalp and then pressing the pillow to hold it did seem to relieve the inflammation. Maybe there is something to @Xenon's theory of pillow induced compression.

scratch

Triangle

Back to top Go down

Manually relieving scalp tension Empty Re: Manually relieving scalp tension

Post  Xenon Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:22 am

The pressure alopecia theory wasn't thought up by myself, instead I just recognized recurring episodes of inflammation throughout the temple I'd been sleeping on, and when I decided to delve into the matter further, I came across a legitimately recognized condition called pressure alopecia.

It should be pointed out that this pillow compression issue only becomes so if I frequently masturbate. This is a tad difficult to explain, but here's how I think both issues are interconnected and work in synergy to increase inflammatory problems.

1. PGD2 is involved in erectile function, therefore I'd reasonably assume that it is released during sex or masturbating. In men who have an abundance of these PGD2 receptors within scalp follicles the release of this prostaglandin causes pro-inflammatory cytokines to target hair follicles. This is somewhat comparable to PGD2 prompting an inflammatory response in the bronchial airways of asthmatics (due to the same receptors). So, regular masturbation keeps them in a highly immunoreactive state. ETA: Whatever the precise underlying mechanism is, all I am certain of, masturbation triggers inflammation throughout the scalp. I know this because I have observed this happening time and again.

2. Mechanical force from the pillow crushes these cells into the skull, causing further damage and increased inflammation.  

3. They enter into and remain in a miniaturized state and are unable to regenerate due to these ongoing insults. However, the masturbation issue seems to be the biggest player out of the two. Why? Because each time I abstain, there is no more inflammation, and some hairs begin to regrow after 4 or 5 months. It always seems to be that time-frame.

These are not the only factors involved in inflammation, there are many more, but the bottom line seems to be hormonal and genetically induced upregulation of PGD2 receptors. The presence of these receptors will always cause follicles to remain in a highly immunoreactive state, thus they will always inflame very easily.

I'd especially advise anyone suffering from scalp inflammation to never comb nor brush their hair, as the friction from comb bristles just causes further aggravation within this highly sensitive tissue. I know this from personal experience.
Xenon
Xenon

Back to top Go down

Post  Xenon Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:26 pm

Analysis of Gene Expression in Experimental Pressure Ulcers in the Rat with Special Reference to Inflammatory Cytokines

Pressure ulcers have been investigated in a few animal models, but the molecular mechanisms of pressure ulcers are not well understood. We hypothesized that pressure results in up-regulation of inflammatory cytokines and those cytokines contribute to the formation of pressure ulcers. We measured genome-wide changes in transcript levels after compression, and focused especially on inflammatory cytokines. The abdominal wall of rats was compressed at 100 mmHg for 4 hours by two magnets. Specimens were obtained 12 hours, 1, or 3 days after compression, and analyzed by light microscopy, microarray, Real-Time PCR, and ELISA. The skin and subcutaneous tissue in the compressed area were markedly thickened. The microarray showed that numerous genes were up-regulated after the compression. Up-regulated genes were involved in apoptosis, inflammation, oxidative stress, proteolysis, hypoxia, and so on. Real-Time PCR showed the up-regulation of granulocyte-macrophage colony stimulating factor (GM-CSF), interferon γ (IFN-γ), interleukin 1β (IL-1β), interleukin 1 receptor antagonist gene (IL1Ra), interleukin 6 (IL-6), interleukin 10 (IL-10), matrix metalloproteinase 3 (MMP-3), tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase 1 (TIMP-1), and tumor necrosis factor α (TNF-α) at 12 hours, IFN-γ, IL-6, IL-10, MMP-3, and TIMP-1 at 1 day, and IFN-γ, IL-6, and MMP-3 at 3 days. Some genes from subcutaneous tissue were up-regulated temporarily, and others were kept at high levels of expression. ELISA data showed that the concentrations of IL-1β and IL-6 proteins were most notably increased following compression. Prolonged up-regulation of IL-1β, and IL-6 might enhance local inflammation, and continuous local inflammation may contribute to the pressure ulcer formation [IL-6 has been proven to inhibit hair growth]. In addition, GM-CSF, IFN-γ, MMP-3, and TIMP-1 were not reported previously in the wound healing process, and those genes may have a role in development of the pressure ulcers. Expression data from Real-Time PCR were generally in good agreement with those of the microarray. Our microarray data were useful for identifying genes involved in pressure ulcer formation. However, the expression levels of the genes didn’t necessarily correspond with protein production. As such, the functions of these cytokines need to be further investigated.

^^The pillow compression issue could well be a significant factor in helping to upregulate genes responsible for inflammation. This might explain why the temples and crown are generally first to go because this tissue is crushed against hard bone mass for several hours every night. Friction from hard comb and brush bristles would likely have the same effect if done in excess... same with wearing tight hats or heavy headgear.

P.S. if there's any credibility to the expanded skull theory, then it wont be because the skin of the scalp is tight, rather the increased weight of the head creating heightened pressure on the skin during sleep.
Xenon
Xenon

Back to top Go down

Post  Hairbeback Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:55 pm

brushing your hair should be fine. Try using a boar bristle brush. Maybe a few days out the week. Don't brush to hard

Hairbeback

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down