Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Resveratrol - Joint Pain EmptyYesterday at 8:05 am by CausticSymmetry

» zombie cells
Resveratrol - Joint Pain EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Resveratrol - Joint Pain EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Resveratrol - Joint Pain EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Resveratrol - Joint Pain EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Resveratrol - Joint Pain EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Resveratrol - Joint Pain EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Resveratrol - Joint Pain EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Resveratrol - Joint Pain EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Resveratrol - Joint Pain

+11
restrol
curt504
HanginInthere
sublime9
nidhogge
gregslater
liquidfire
Christos
CausticSymmetry
hadrion
scottyc33
15 posters

Go down

Resveratrol - Joint Pain Empty Resveratrol - Joint Pain

Post  scottyc33 Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:37 am

I have been taking 300mg of 99% reseveratrol twice per day for about 5-6 weeks now and have noticed increased joint/tendon pain.

I am getting a serious case of tennis elbow and have been noticing some aches and pains in my knees that I've never had before.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Any idea why resveratrol would cause this?

It's very ironic to me as this stuff is touted as an anti-aging supplement and it is making me feel like an old man Smile.

I think I am going to cut back the dosage to once per day and see if that helps.

scottyc33

Back to top Go down

Resveratrol - Joint Pain Empty Re: Resveratrol - Joint Pain

Post  hadrion Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:30 am

scotty,

If it's any help, I'm on 1 a day of that Reservatol and have no joint pains. I'm not sure why it would cause that, but maybe try cutting your dose and see if it helps.

The other thing, which sucks, is the knee and elbow pains like you're describing seem to come along with age. I don't know how old you are but as I hit my mid 30's I started getting those kind of pains you're describing. I also get a nasty shoulder pain. I had a doctor and a trainer he recommended check my form to see if I was doing anything wrong and I wasn't. They chalked it up to getting older. Ugh.

hadrion

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:06 am

scottyc33 - That's too much resveratrol.

If you chelate too much copper, which is probably is happening, you're then producing less superoxide dismutase or some other disturbance.

The correct amount of resveratrol is somewhere between 200 and 300 mg depending on body weight.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  scottyc33 Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:26 am

CausticSymmetry wrote:scottyc33 - That's too much resveratrol.

If you chelate too much copper, which is probably is happening, you're then producing less superoxide dismutase or some other disturbance.

The correct amount of resveratrol is somewhere between 200 and 300 mg depending on body weight.

Yeah, I see on your site you rec 200 mg of 50% resv once or twice per day.

So 100mg - 200mg per day.

I have 5 bottles of 300mg 99% left Smile, so I'm going to cut it back to one a day at the same time I take my circumin and hope that things feel better.

scottyc33

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:58 am

scottyc33 - Thanks for pointing out the dosage on Resveratrol (I once had only 100 mg on there before), so I just corrected it.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Christos Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:57 pm

I seem to have elbow pains since I increased my resveratrol intake from 1 to 3 X 30mg of Swanson's brand. Althoug I also started doing weights and had an incident lifting a cupboard which seems to be healing.

I also take 2 X 300mg of GliSODin daily.

I wonder if that's too much of that?

Christos

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidfire Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:48 am

It does seem like a bit too much for a resveratrol supplement.
liquidfire
liquidfire

Back to top Go down

Resveratrol - Joint Pain Empty Resv dose is still a fuzzy thing

Post  gregslater Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:17 am

Some of the boards I'm on have big '500mg plus' threads that have been going on for years. Some take over a gram a day with no 'apparent' issues. But I do see an occasional post about joint pain there from a few others.

I go with 1 200mg in the morning, as there is at least one article/study that says morning dose is better. I'll see if I can find that reference too.
gregslater
gregslater

Back to top Go down

Post  gregslater Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:42 am

On the copper... from conversations at another site:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19122030

http://journals.lww.com/co-clinicalnutrition/Abstract/2008/11000/The_risks_of_free_copper_in_the_body_and_the.9.aspx

http://www.neurotodayonline.com/pt/re/neurotoday/fulltext.00132985-200801170-00011.htm;jsessionid=KTnffCnbfNgBGGqDQLl22LhDgj1pCLpxRhJw25G3xfHxRzykcmxQ!-631714950!181195629!8091!-1

http://www.adeonapharma.com/investors.php?pageID=19&newsID=26

http://archneur.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/63/8/1085

And in this study they looked at 307 cancer deaths and high serum copper appeared to be worse than high iron:

http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S1047279703001194

But does high serum levels really mean high dietary intake? From the Linus Pauling Institute:
It is important to note that serum copper largely reflects serum ceruloplasmin and is not a sensitive indicator of copper nutritional status. Serum ceruloplasmin levels are known to increase by 50% or more under certain conditions of physical stress, such as trauma, inflammation, or disease. Because over 90% of serum copper is carried in ceruloplasmin, which is increased in many inflammatory conditions, elevated serum copper may simply be a marker of inflammation that accompanies atherosclerosis.
gregslater
gregslater

Back to top Go down

Post  gregslater Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:52 am

Forgot this one:

Iron and Copper Toxicity in Diseases of Aging, Particularly Atherosclerosis and Alzheimer’s Disease

Of course link most anything... there is low... and there is too low. I sur I could find a study or two about low copper Smile
gregslater
gregslater

Back to top Go down

Post  scottyc33 Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:31 am

gregslater wrote:Some of the boards I'm on have big '500mg plus' threads that have been going on for years. Some take over a gram a day with no 'apparent' issues. But I do see an occasional post about joint pain there from a few others.

I go with 1 200mg in the morning, as there is at least one article/study that says morning dose is better. I'll see if I can find that reference too.

Yup, I saw some of those threads on other boards so I decided to give it a whirl.

I have decided to stop supplementation until my arm feels better. Then I will go to 1x per day.

scottyc33

Back to top Go down

Post  nidhogge Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:47 am

Scotty--

Try consuming 2-3mg of copper per day while you "repair". This is a common side of too much Res. I used to take a few GRAMS a day, heh...

nidhogge

Back to top Go down

Post  scottyc33 Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:10 pm

Gents,

I took a few weeks off the resv and my arm felt better.

For the past two weeks I've been taking 150mg of 99% resv once a day. Today I felt the joint pain creeping back.

I guess my main question is, are we sure this is due to copper chelation or could there be another cause?

From another board:

"There is only one paper out there I can find that suggests resveratrol chelates copper [here]. Every other reference is just citing that one. I don't have access to it, but it sounds like it only inferred chelation due to resveratrol protection of lipoproteins from copper mediated oxidation. At any rate, even if resveratrol chelated copper, the moment it was metabolized, which is primarily done on the 3' hydroxyl, it would lose its ability and copper would be released. That is, resveratrol cannot remove copper from the body, or even prevent absorption of it in the gut, since only 1% of ingested resveratrol remains unmodified on the 3' hydroxyl. Only if a study looking at this matter directly said otherwise, or overwhelming anecdotal evidence of copper stopping resveratrol correlated joint pain, would I stand corrected."

Would appreciate opinions on this....

scottyc33

Back to top Go down

Post  sublime9 Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:22 pm

scotty - I had a similar issue with joints and resv a while back. I dropped mine down to the 32mg that is in my combo supplement and the issue went away.

sublime9

Back to top Go down

Post  scottyc33 Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:35 pm

Also this:

"We don't really have a definitive explanation for the tendon pain some people report when taking resveratrol. We do know that the amount of chelation induced by resveratrol is negligible, and this has been discounted as a possible cause of tendinitis-like symptoms. The effect on copper that was seen in vitro was in cell cultures exposed to resveratrol concentrations orders of magnitude greater than can be attained in the body from oral administration of resveratrol. Not a credible cause.

Another theory is that such symptoms are due to resveratrol's anti-angiogenesis effect. which is good for suppressing tumors, but doesn't allow tendons and muscles a chance to heal because it suppresses the growth of blood vessels that would induce healing. This is only speculation, but whatever the cause, you could try taking a two day break from resveratrol periodically, say once a week. That could allow sufficient healing to occur, or possibly to alleviate the pain from whatever the cause.

Another possibility: geddarkstorm posted a wonderfully clever and credible theory which implies resveratrol works in part by increasing the NAD+/NADH ratio. Perhaps you are not getting sufficient niacin or niacinamide as a precursor to manufacture NAD+, and the tendon pain is the result. Geddarkstory recommended taking niacinamide, I think 250 mg would be plenty, but three hours after taking resverarol. This is enought of a delay it wouldn't block resveratrol's effects on sirtuin genes, but would provide a source for NAD+."

scottyc33

Back to top Go down

Post  HanginInthere Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:52 pm

Also resveratrol can be anywhere from a mild to a severe blood thinner
I think guys think its a very good supplment which it might be for hair, but it can have strange occurences.

My mom i put her on it, for life extension properties , whatever misc conditions. She sometimes has slightly bleeding gums. She said after she started resveratrol, it was like blood everywhere in the sink. like someone punched her in the mouth. She stopped taking it, and the bleeding stopped

HanginInthere

Back to top Go down

Post  curt504 Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:13 pm

I take vitamin K2 to control my sources of bleeding. If I stop I bleed. I also have thin blood and gum bleeding. Fish oil etc must be part of my causes.

curt

curt504

Back to top Go down

Post  restrol Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:34 pm

I heard good things about resveratrol, maybe there are side effects on too much consumption..

restrol

http://resveratrol-review123.com

Back to top Go down

Post  chipdouglas Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:15 am

Doesn't resveratrol lovwer E2 ? If so, then I know that too low levels of Estradiol can make joints go clicky, or make popping sounds.

chipdouglas

Back to top Go down

Post  scottyc33 Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:43 am

chipdouglas wrote:Doesn't resveratrol lovwer E2 ? If so, then I know that too low levels of Estradiol can make joints go clicky, or make popping sounds.

My joints pop ALL the time - even when not on resv.

scottyc33

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeroun19 Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:41 pm

The problem is low grade Resveratrol supplements, namely those that contain less than 50% pure resveratrol extracts.
These low grade versions are high in Emodin, which is well known for causing joint & tendon pain as well as damage.
Many manufacturors choose to use Japanese Knotweed as their source of Resveratrol due to the ease of extraction however this form tends to be much higher in emodin than Resveratrol extracted from grapes.
To avoid the issue, only use high grade resveratrol which is 98% or 99% purity level.
For quick relief stop taking your low grade stuff immediately and then switch to high grade Resveratrol.

Jeroun19

Back to top Go down

Resveratrol - Joint Pain Empty well

Post  bocor Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:18 am

cant find the study right now but resveratrol lowers levels of GAG or glycosamines like glucosamine chondroitin so maybe supplementing with that would raise levels back

bocor

Back to top Go down

Post  scottyc33 Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:56 pm

Since this thread got bumped, I will note that since I dropped my dosage to 100mg twice per day, the joint pain went away.

Ecklonia Cava
Krill Oil
Decalcify
Rejuvaplex Topical

Other
Ubiquinol
ALCAR
Liv 52
Iodine
Ashwagandha

SUPERFOODS: Energy First and Sun Warrior Protein, Dessicated Liver, Concentrace, Colostrum, Brewers Yeast, Fermented Cod Liver & High Vitamin Butter Oil

scottyc33

Back to top Go down

Resveratrol - Joint Pain Empty hip pain

Post  rayl Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:49 am

I have been taking 2x100 mg resveratrol per day but lately I noticed pain somewhere in the area of my right hip joint. I took 2x ibumetin 500 per day during one week but the pain did not went away. So I found out in this forum that resveratrol can sometimes cause this kind of problems. I have stopped resveratrol for now and the pain did went away. My question is: what can cause this kind of reaction to the resveratrol supplement and what can I do about it. I have been taking IH regimen supplements for about 1 year now. Also I would like to point out that I am 31 year old male, so I think this kind of pain is not normal for my age.

rayl

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:25 am

Make sure you have enough copper (bio-available).

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down