Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
AGA being a viral issue? EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
AGA being a viral issue? EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
AGA being a viral issue? EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
AGA being a viral issue? EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
AGA being a viral issue? EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
AGA being a viral issue? EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
AGA being a viral issue? EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
AGA being a viral issue? EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
AGA being a viral issue? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

AGA being a viral issue?

2 posters

Go down

AGA being a viral issue? Empty AGA being a viral issue?

Post  itzmecorey Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:21 am

Just finished reading the perfect health diet and on his section about bacteria/viruses talks about a virus that's unknown that contributes to BPH. Since genetics and many other things affect our immune system and dictate what our immune system will allow to linger around. Just was wondering people's thoughts on this... Furthermore it would make sense since lowering glucose always helps to slow hairloss which also is a treatment to starve bacteria / viruses. Many things I didn't really think about how increased testosterone thru either working out or puberty exacerbates those predisposed to AGA (I think we can mostly agree on this) but if course doesn't happen to everyone. Anyone ever read about people who have AGA and AIDS who are treated with anti virals?

Just a thought...

itzmecorey

http://www.coreychmiel.com

Back to top Go down

AGA being a viral issue? Empty PGD2 and receptor GPR44

Post  CITNews Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:14 am

I think the reason we don't have a better idea of the exact process of hair loss relates to the limited research and effort going into finding a cure.  I hadn't considered a virus, but it's a possibility of course.

Here is my theory:

A 2012 MPB study determined the most common cause of hair loss in men results from elevated amounts of a lipid called prostaglandin D2 (PGD2). The researchers also identified a receptor molecule a protein called GPR44 that binds with PGD2 on the surface of cells in the hair follicle. Such binding is needed to produce the condition of limited hair growth that is symptomatic of AGA.

PGD2 is among other things a potent inhibitor of platelet aggregation. PRP (platelet rich plasma) treatment on the other hand, (to varying degrees) increases the hair shaft diameter of miniaturized hair.

Consider what Rogaine does. Although minimally effective, it dilates blood vessels and increases blood flow. Other than that, researchers don't know why it is slightly effective in improving hair growth. A negative related to healthy hair growth cited in a study written by Dr. Sharon Keene is cigarette smoking. As you know smoking constricts blood vessels.

Perhaps hair miniaturizes in MPB because the concentration of Prostaglandin D2 (in green) starves the follicle of necessary blood platelet growth factors. Researchers also have considered that once the hair is damaged, the immune system takes over by targeting the miniaturized follicles. It's also interesting to note that topical corticosteroids are immunosuppressants and often have a listed side effect of excessive hair growth. Cordran SP for instance is one of the topicals that has a listed side effect of excessive hair growth.

AGA being a viral issue? Hair-m11

Here is an example of platelet rich plasma (PRP) increasing the hair shaft diameter of miniaturized hair:

AGA being a viral issue? Acell-10

IMO PRP treatment is too expensive for most men and in many cases it only improves thinning hair slightly. It does however, demonstrate the positive effect platelet growth factors have on thinning hair. Hopefully more effective future treatments will be coming our way soon.

Chuck
I work at Dr. Cole's office in Atlanta

CITNews

Back to top Go down