Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Rice Bran Oil should be refined or unrefined? EmptyToday at 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Rice Bran Oil should be refined or unrefined? EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Rice Bran Oil should be refined or unrefined? EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Rice Bran Oil should be refined or unrefined? EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Rice Bran Oil should be refined or unrefined? EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Rice Bran Oil should be refined or unrefined? EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Rice Bran Oil should be refined or unrefined? EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Rice Bran Oil should be refined or unrefined? EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Rice Bran Oil should be refined or unrefined? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Rice Bran Oil should be refined or unrefined?

4 posters

Go down

Rice Bran Oil should be refined or unrefined? Empty Rice Bran Oil should be refined or unrefined?

Post  jksl Thu May 21, 2009 9:19 pm

I'm about to purchase some rice bran oil for cooking, but first i'd like to know what to look for. Should i look for refined or unrefined?

Also, does anyone recommend any particular brand?

I'm interested in rice bran oil because it has a higher tocotrienol content than palm oil and has some gamma oryzanol. It's high in omega-6 though. But, i'm supplementing with fish oil to balance that out. I also get a little bit of extra virgin olive oil and unrefined toasted sesame oil in my diet too,.
jksl
jksl

Back to top Go down

Rice Bran Oil should be refined or unrefined? Empty Re: Rice Bran Oil should be refined or unrefined?

Post  CausticSymmetry Fri May 22, 2009 4:41 am

jksl - If you have unrefined available go for that. The reason is that refined oils have a great deal of missing nutrients and in the case of most commercial oils the entire process is pretty horrific.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Rice Bran Oil should be refined or unrefined? Empty Re: Rice Bran Oil should be refined or unrefined?

Post  hapyman Fri May 22, 2009 5:26 am

Yeah some methods use a chemical to extract the oil and others the high heat will burn up most of the healthy molecules in it. Unrefined, expeller pressed or cold pressed is usually top quality. May be more expensive but worth every penny.
hapyman
hapyman

Back to top Go down

Post  jksl Fri May 22, 2009 6:57 am

thanks for the reply guys. I had to ask because i heard that some oils should be refined. i wasn't sure if that was true or not though.

anyway, the only expeller-pressed rice bran oil i could find was Loriva's rice bran oil

http://www.loriva.com/products/productdetail.aspx?s=036023004060:100%25+Pure+Rice+Bran+Expeller+Pressed+Oil+-+12.7+++++++OZ.

i'll probably give that one a try
jksl
jksl

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Fri May 22, 2009 8:28 am

jksl - One thing I should point out, is while it suggests there is a high heat point, coconut oil is the safest to do any frying with. Anything that has a good portion of polyunsaturated fatty acids is not recommended for high heat, because these fats and generate millions of free radicals.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  jksl Fri May 22, 2009 4:58 pm

Thanks for the tip CS. I don't really fry my foods, so i think i'm okay. I always cook my meats in a mini-grill (it's like a foreman grill, but not really). I get it to a medium-rare, if i'm cooking red meat. I use EVOO on my salads and unrefined toasted sesame oil for seasoning. Sometimes i'll bake with EVOO though. I'll coat strips of sweet potatoes with it and then put it in the oven to make sweet potato fries.

i'm just gonna use the RBO when i feel like making my version of "fried rice". It'll be used for a minute or two at low to medium heat when tossing hot rice, veggies, and cooked meat in the pan.

BTW, i just found out that NOW brand's RBO is unrefined, hexane extracted. So, i'll be staying away from that.
jksl
jksl

Back to top Go down

Post  jksl Fri May 29, 2009 5:03 pm

Okay, so i found out that Loriva's Rice Bran Oil is expeller-pressed, but REFINED. NOW's Rice Bran Oil is hexane extracted, but UNREFINED. So, now i don't know which one to go for... Someone help me decide Neutral

Is it true that unrefined oils will go rancid quick? If that is true, should i even bother with the NOW brand? (they don't have expiry dates on their RBO labels).
jksl
jksl

Back to top Go down

Post  hapyman Sat May 30, 2009 1:31 am

I personally cook my rice with some organic expeller pressed coconut oil and it gives a nice subtle nutty taste to it. You might want to also look into some sesame oil as long as you use medium heat.
hapyman
hapyman

Back to top Go down

Post  jksl Sat May 30, 2009 7:30 am

thanks for the recommendations hapyman. On a rare occasion, i'll use coconut oil, but only if i'm pan frying something. I rarely ever fry anything. I use toasted sesame seed oil already, but i never cook with it. I use it as seasoning only.

I'd still like to purchase some RBO for the tocotrienols and the low saturated fat content. I just don't know which is the lesser evil. Hexane-extracted, but unrefined. Or expeller-pressed, but refined.
jksl
jksl

Back to top Go down

Post  hapyman Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:56 am

Tough call there... me personally would want to stay away from the chemicals. Refined may ruin some of the nutritional value but want 'add' any chemicals.
hapyman
hapyman

Back to top Go down

Post  jksl Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:04 am

Yeah, i might just forget about RBO (and purchase some toco-8 lol). I think found some RBO that is expeller-pressed and unrefined, but it's for horses.

http://www.brusselsagri.com/horses/hs_mccauley.htm

i think the RBO is only stable for about 2 months when it's unrefined.

I just found out that Japanese women use RBO on their skin to 'plump' it up and reduce fine lines. It's a really good moisturizer, apparently. I wonder if it would be a good oil to rub into the scalp like emu, olive, or coconut oil...
jksl
jksl

Back to top Go down

Rice Bran Oil should be refined or unrefined? Empty rice bran oil higher tocotrienol content than palm oil

Post  starstern Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:49 am

jksl wrote:I'm about to purchase some rice bran oil for cooking, but first i'd like to know what to look for. Should i look for refined or unrefined?

Also, does anyone recommend any particular brand?

I'm interested in rice bran oil because it has a higher tocotrienol content than palm oil and has some gamma oryzanol. It's high in omega-6 though. But, i'm supplementing with fish oil to balance that out. I also get a little bit of extra virgin olive oil and unrefined toasted sesame oil in my diet too,.

rice bran oil because it has a higher tocotrienol content than palm oil ;would you provide refrence or links for this ? Surprised

starstern

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down