Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Does Coconut Oil Lower Or Raise DHT? EmptyYesterday at 8:05 am by CausticSymmetry

» zombie cells
Does Coconut Oil Lower Or Raise DHT? EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Does Coconut Oil Lower Or Raise DHT? EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Does Coconut Oil Lower Or Raise DHT? EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Does Coconut Oil Lower Or Raise DHT? EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Does Coconut Oil Lower Or Raise DHT? EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Does Coconut Oil Lower Or Raise DHT? EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Does Coconut Oil Lower Or Raise DHT? EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Does Coconut Oil Lower Or Raise DHT? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Does Coconut Oil Lower Or Raise DHT?

+5
Biffy
gdfghh
Nuuu_Dx
DepthInValor
hairisthickening
9 posters

Go down

Does Coconut Oil Lower Or Raise DHT? Empty Does Coconut Oil Lower Or Raise DHT?

Post  hairisthickening Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:52 am

Hi,

just curious. I have been oil pulling with coconut oil and have read coconut oil lowers dht. But then I came across an article or two claiming it raises dht. Even an article from doctor Oz here says it raises dht:

http://www.realage.com/check-your-health/mens-health/top-foods-for-younger-looking-hair

I am using extra virgin coconut oil. Now im scared it could be raising dht? How can I be sure which is happening? Thanks and also if it lowers dht that wont do anything like give me a girly voice will it? Thanks

hairisthickening

Back to top Go down

Does Coconut Oil Lower Or Raise DHT? Empty Re: Does Coconut Oil Lower Or Raise DHT?

Post  DepthInValor Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:49 am

It definitely lowers DHT while improving thyroid function. I'm curious to know if anyone has seen sides similar to fin when supplementing/eating coconut oil? Thinking about adding 2tbsps to my regimen on a consistent basis.

DepthInValor

Back to top Go down

Does Coconut Oil Lower Or Raise DHT? Empty Re: Does Coconut Oil Lower Or Raise DHT?

Post  Nuuu_Dx Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:09 am

You would probably have to eat a shit load to get anything like fin side effects.

Nuuu_Dx

Back to top Go down

Post  hairisthickening Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:27 am

Are we sure it lowers? I have noticed positive sexual sides if anything. I am just oil pulling with coconut oil but I'm sure I'm absorbing some each day. That's why I got worried about it raising dht. How do we know it lowers it?

hairisthickening

Back to top Go down

Post  gdfghh Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:38 am

It's beneficial because it boosts metabolic rate, thus increasing nutrient requirements. I'd imagine if those aren't met, inflammation and therefore DHT would increase. Coconut oil really is a perfect fat though, it doesn't even require bile to digest.
gdfghh
gdfghh

Back to top Go down

Post  hairisthickening Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:17 am

Satan so are you saying the oil lowers dht? Thanks

hairisthickening

Back to top Go down

Post  Nuuu_Dx Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:55 am

I eat a table spoon every morning, all it does is make me poo lol.

Nuuu_Dx

Back to top Go down

Post  DepthInValor Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:57 am

Coconut Oil also down regulates the production of DHT, which is a major player in MPB and acne. As you likely already know, Testosterone is converted into DHT by the enzyme 5-alpha reductase. DHT increases sebum emission, creating a conducive environment for propionbacterium, thus inflammation, to proliferate. It is established that the activity of the 5-alpha reductase enzyme is significantly more elevated in areas prone to acne and Androgenetic Alopecia.

Several studies have conclusively shown that lauric acid reduces 5-alpha reductase activity, and inhibits the conversion of testosterone into DHT. Another concluded that lauric acid inhibited the activity of 5-alpha reductase by 50%. One study in particular found that consumption of Coconut Oil in rats, like finasteride and saw palmetto, reduced enlarged prostate glands that had been experimentally enlarged with androgen administration.

As an inhibitor of 5 alpha reductase vis a vis its lauric acid content, Coconut Oil both internally and topically applied makes a plausible intervention for both hair loss and acne.

-found on the forum search

DepthInValor

Back to top Go down

Post  Biffy Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:39 pm

Kinda off topic: Is coconut oil safe to use as penis moisturizer?

Biffy

Back to top Go down

Post  Complexx Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:22 am

DepthInValor wrote:It definitely lowers DHT while improving thyroid function. I'm curious to know if anyone has seen sides similar to fin when supplementing/eating coconut oil? Thinking about adding 2tbsps to my regimen on a consistent basis.
I've read about this one guy saying he did experience sexual sides like the ones you get with fin but he was overdoing it though.
Complexx
Complexx

Back to top Go down

Post  Complexx Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:34 am

DepthInValor wrote:Coconut Oil also down regulates the production of DHT, which is a major player in MPB and acne. As you likely already know, Testosterone is converted into DHT by the enzyme 5-alpha reductase. DHT increases sebum emission, creating a conducive environment for propionbacterium, thus inflammation, to proliferate. It is established that the activity of the 5-alpha reductase enzyme is significantly more elevated in areas prone to acne and Androgenetic Alopecia.

Several studies have conclusively shown that lauric acid reduces 5-alpha reductase activity, and inhibits the conversion of testosterone into DHT. Another concluded that lauric acid inhibited the activity of 5-alpha reductase by 50%. One study in particular found that consumption of Coconut Oil in rats, like finasteride and saw palmetto, reduced enlarged prostate glands that had been experimentally enlarged with androgen administration.

As an inhibitor of 5 alpha reductase vis a vis its lauric acid content, Coconut Oil both internally and topically applied makes a plausible intervention for both hair loss and acne.

-found on the forum search
How many tablespoons of coconut oil did the test subjects in these studies consume to obtain successful results?
Complexx
Complexx

Back to top Go down

Post  Grub Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:01 pm

The only thing I have found against coconut oil is from Dr Wilson who describes us as all being to Yin in terms of Yin/Yang balance.

This quote is from his website http://www.drlwilson.com/

"Avoid most tropical fats include coconut oil, palm oil and avocado. They are too yin. Some health authorities believe these are healthful. However, they are all extremely yin, so they are best avoided or eaten in small amounts only"

Grub

Back to top Go down

Post  Biffy Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:58 am

I think we might be delusional on Coconut oil reducing 5ar - in studies they used free form fatty acids which can be produced in chemical lab and they are not found in oils.

Biffy

Back to top Go down

Post  SonofOdin Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:28 pm

Biffy wrote:I think we might be delusional on Coconut oil reducing 5ar - in studies they used free form fatty acids which can be produced in chemical lab and they are not found in oils.

I was crazy enough to consume 4-6 tbsp daily of extra virgin coconut oil for 5 months straight and I can confirm it didn't do jack to save my hair. I still cook in it but its just an oil, nothing significant enough from a hair standpoint for it to make much of a difference.
SonofOdin
SonofOdin

Back to top Go down

Post  irfoc Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:35 pm

Biffy wrote:Kinda off topic: Is coconut oil safe to use as penis moisturizer?

Yeah, sure Very Happy
Really, virgin coconut oil is good for almost everything. There are countless ways how you can use it...

irfoc

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down