Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Medical Coder During C0NV!D
Why hair-loss/regrowth photos get a bad rep EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm by CausticSymmetry

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Why hair-loss/regrowth photos get a bad rep EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 12:44 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Potential Natural Products Regulation of Molecular Signaling Pathway in Dermal Papilla Stem Cells
Why hair-loss/regrowth photos get a bad rep EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 7:44 am by CausticSymmetry

» Breast Biopsy
Why hair-loss/regrowth photos get a bad rep EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 2:23 am by shaftless

» Sorry if brought up before but: Best topical to help aid in breaking up fibrosis?
Why hair-loss/regrowth photos get a bad rep EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:51 am by Hoppipolla

» solar eclipse on april 8
Why hair-loss/regrowth photos get a bad rep EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 4:04 am by shaftless

» Role and Mechanisms of Phytochemicals in Hair Growth and Health
Why hair-loss/regrowth photos get a bad rep EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 4:20 am by CausticSymmetry

» IH Regimen
Why hair-loss/regrowth photos get a bad rep EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 4:25 pm by CF

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Why hair-loss/regrowth photos get a bad rep EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 11:16 am by MikeGore

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Why hair-loss/regrowth photos get a bad rep

2 posters

Go down

Why hair-loss/regrowth photos get a bad rep Empty Why hair-loss/regrowth photos get a bad rep

Post  JDawg Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:47 am

Thanks to "ad choice" I get all sorts of "hair regrowth ads" like procerin, etc. and they feature so many horrible photos.

It's no wonder everyone calls bullshit on photos, because A, they can be photo-shopped so easily and B, they are so often not taken in the same light or with the same length hair.

Take Procerin's terrible "clinical study" photos here:
http://www.procerin.com/clinical-studies.html

First off, their study has a whopping 21 people! And then if you look at the photos, 2 out of the 3 have nearly no change IMO. Also, the man in the first set of photos (african american male) seems to have hair that is longer (note how it's bushier on the sides) overall length in his second photo.

My favorite though, is the second set of photos. They show the most "coverage" over what was a thinner spot, BUT his hair is clearly longer and the best part is that his head is also rocked further back (towards camera) so that his thinner spot is now rotated further down (if that makes sense). You can see how the hair at the base of his neck is now rolled over his shirt collar whereas before it wasn't touching his collar. So with longer hair and by tilting his head back, OF COURSE the small thin spot looks diminished - because we're not even looking at the same spot anymore thanks to shifting the angle of this guy's head!

I know, I know, of course Procerin is bull... but I see this stuff even in other doctors' sites with their HT patients. Even my own doctor who I used to get propecia from took photos and he didn't have a constant method of measurement either.

The first set of photos he took, I don't even have because they had a "camera malfunction" and lost all the photos there. i couldn't fucking believe it! No photos from when I started my journey? And then the pics from year 1 to year 2, at first seemed too show lots of regrowth, but then I realized something...

in my first pic, I had showered my hair and put product in it, so it was greased and closer to my scalp, and in the second pic I didn't shower that day so my hair was poofier, thus showing more coverage. Yes I blame myself for not thinking of that before, but live and learn.

Even Mr. Maliniak, who loves to come on here and talk about his method, has a fantastically sketchy photo on his site. It's cropped so you can't see any hair near the front of his hairline, just a mostly bald top, and then in his video he strokes his frontal hairline patch and says "I didn't have this before." Well how the hell do we know!? You can't tell in your first photo. Even if his method regrew all that hair, no one will ever know because the photo wasn't taken correctly.

Apologies for going on a bit of a rant here, but it's this kind of stuff which doesn't help us and also makes us dubious of any progress that others share. I personally have taken photos a few months ago and am doing so every month or so at a consistent rate so I can accurately log my progress.

It was easy to set guidelines, and honestly the hardest part about it was knowing that I was going to be taking clinic, unflattering photos showing evidence of me balding - something that is hard to cope with for all of us.

But guys (and gals) we have to do this, if we want to ever be able to really quantify visual results we should all be taking pictures, keeping the following guidelines in mind:

-Use the same camera (and/or lens)
-Shoot in the same room
-Shoot with the same lighting conditions (if your bulb burns out, replace it with the same WATTAGE, not lower or higher)
-Shoot the same duration AFTER getting a haircut (don't have your "bald" pic two weeks after a haircut and then your "regrowth" pic 6 weeks after a haircut.)
-Shoot with the same duration after washing/styling your hair
-Shoot with the same type of combing/styling of your hair
-Shoot from the same DISTANCE from your hair (this is a biggie)
-Shoot the same spot of your head, ie keep your head angle the same in all photos (unless you want to be like procerin dude #2)

Let me know if I'm missing something here, but I feel like this is the only way I know to have photos for myself that I can objectively look at to show progress. And keeping them consistent like this will be the only way they will hold up to scrutiny here if I ever share them. I think we'd all be doing each other a service if we had consistent photos that we could use for ourselves and to share with the community without having to worry about the inconsistent lighting or picturing issues.

Granted, I'm only a few months in, so it'd be crazy to expect results yet, but hopefully there's something to show in 2013.

Also, feel free to share other sites with laughable photos on this thread. It's so embarrassing when these "cure" sites tout scientific evidence and yet they can't even get the simplest data collection of taking photos done correctly or without tampering.

OK, done with my rant-slash-mission to ensure photo accuracy...snap away!

JDawg

Back to top Go down

Why hair-loss/regrowth photos get a bad rep Empty Re: Why hair-loss/regrowth photos get a bad rep

Post  rickfowler Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:08 pm

Well according to me,hair transplant can improve density to areas of thinness on the scalp and it is the solution to get rid of hair loss problem. However, the success or failure of hair transplant is determined by many variables; your cause of hair loss and age being the main concerns.

If you suffer from male pattern baldness and are still at a young age, it may be advisable to undergo hair transplant as soon as possible which would be very effective in your future.

rickfowler

Back to top Go down

Why hair-loss/regrowth photos get a bad rep Empty Re: Why hair-loss/regrowth photos get a bad rep

Post  JDawg Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:58 am

alfred723 wrote:Well according to me,hair transplant can improve density to areas of thinness on the scalp and it is the solution to get rid of hair loss problem. However, the success or failure of hair transplant is determined by many variables; your cause of hair loss and age being the main concerns.

If you suffer from male pattern baldness and are still at a young age, it may be advisable to undergo hair transplant as soon as possible which would be very effective in your future.

Alfred, I'm not a moderator, but it seems to me that you are just spamming this site to recommend hair transplants. Please don't hijack threads to talk about unrelated topics. I started this to talk about photos, not hair transplants.

Thanks

JDawg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down