Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Difference between Vitamin A supplements? EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Difference between Vitamin A supplements? EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Difference between Vitamin A supplements? EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Difference between Vitamin A supplements? EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Difference between Vitamin A supplements? EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Difference between Vitamin A supplements? EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Difference between Vitamin A supplements? EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Difference between Vitamin A supplements? EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Difference between Vitamin A supplements? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Difference between Vitamin A supplements?

+2
gdfghh
JDawg
6 posters

Go down

Difference between Vitamin A supplements? Empty Difference between Vitamin A supplements?

Post  JDawg Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:08 pm

Just wondering what or if there is a consensus on what type of Vitamin A supplement is best.
I'm going to add some to my regimen, because I know that when I eat foods rich in Vitamin A, like liver, I notice a positive effect on my scalp (less dandruff and inflammation).

I'm already supplementing with vitamin D, and I'm curious if people have had success or recommend a liquid for of vitamin A or a capsule form?

the current regimen has this gel form:
http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Vitamin-A-10-000-IU-100-Softgels/11192?=hil335

I've seen this recommended as well, the nutrisorb brand:
http://www.iherb.com/InterPlexus-Inc-NutriSorb-A-Liquid-Vitamin-A-0-6-fl-oz-17-ml/31265

It seems its best to have a form that is not beta carotene, but is there anything else to be taken into account?

Thanks!

JDawg

Back to top Go down

Difference between Vitamin A supplements? Empty Re: Difference between Vitamin A supplements?

Post  gdfghh Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:52 pm

Retinal is the preferred form. That's whats in the NOW supplement you linked. But really, eating living regularly is the most bioavailable vitamin A supplement out there.
gdfghh
gdfghh

Back to top Go down

Difference between Vitamin A supplements? Empty Re: Difference between Vitamin A supplements?

Post  JDawg Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:16 am

Thanks Satan! (fun to say)

I agree, however, as much as I like liver I don't think i can eat it more than twice a week. That's the richest source out there, so I wan to supplement so I can keep my levels high.

So retinol is the best, most bio-avail form?

JDawg

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:38 am

Either of those choices is fine, absorption is not going to be an issue. The type of vitamin A to avoid is beta-carotene, since not everyone can convert it into all usable forms.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  gdfghh Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:16 am

Lol I just noticed some typos in my first post. Retinol* Liver*

And CS I don't know what your thoughts are, but Ray Peat has said that carotene is actually harmful.
gdfghh
gdfghh

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:21 pm

Satan wrote:Lol I just noticed some typos in my first post. Retinol* Liver*

And CS I don't know what your thoughts are, but Ray Peat has said that carotene is actually harmful.

I haven't read Ray Peat's view on Carotene, however I do know that synthetic, isolated beta-carotene inhibits retinol absorption and also is not a full complement of carotene, so some decade ago, the media tried to show that it increased cancer risk in smokers. Similar stories have circulated involving a single fractioned, synthetic isomer of vitamin E.

My guess is that only the synthetic form is harmful and that the type found in foods is healthy.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Balthier Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:38 pm

really only synthetic? That would be weird if not since he advises having a raw carrot a day, or a carrot salad.

Balthier

Back to top Go down

Post  gdfghh Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:42 am

He recommends the raw carrot because the fiber absorbs endotoxin in the gut. However, since it does have beta carotene, he recommends boiled bamboo shoots to those who aren't in good health since it has the same effect.

He has said it interferes with steroid hormone synthesis among other things.
gdfghh
gdfghh

Back to top Go down

Post  Orchid Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:25 am

Balthier wrote:

really only synthetic? That would be weird if not since he advises having a raw carrot a day, or a carrot salad.
Carotene in carrots is bound to the insoluble fiber, apparently, so it's not really digested.
Orchid
Orchid

Back to top Go down

Post  JDawg Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:05 pm

Is 10,000 IU of vitamin A too much if I'm consuming 5-6,000 IU of Vitamin D through supplementation?

there's so much out there about vitamin A toxicity, but nothing that gives good ratios of vitamin D:A

JDawg

Back to top Go down

Post  takingaction Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:26 am

Regardless of the ratio, if the intake would be 10,000 daily, that is too much. I said "intake," because I'm counting food sources, not just supplements.

takingaction

Back to top Go down

Post  JDawg Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:26 am

Gonna go for the nutrisorb on this one. Source is retinol, and at 2500 IU it's easier to measure the dosage than with a 10,000 IU softgel.
We'll see how it goes!

JDawg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down