Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Medical Coder During C0NV!D
Eat, Fast & Live Longer (BBC Horizon Documentary) EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm by CausticSymmetry

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Eat, Fast & Live Longer (BBC Horizon Documentary) EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 12:44 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Potential Natural Products Regulation of Molecular Signaling Pathway in Dermal Papilla Stem Cells
Eat, Fast & Live Longer (BBC Horizon Documentary) EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 7:44 am by CausticSymmetry

» Breast Biopsy
Eat, Fast & Live Longer (BBC Horizon Documentary) EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 2:23 am by shaftless

» Sorry if brought up before but: Best topical to help aid in breaking up fibrosis?
Eat, Fast & Live Longer (BBC Horizon Documentary) EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:51 am by Hoppipolla

» solar eclipse on april 8
Eat, Fast & Live Longer (BBC Horizon Documentary) EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 4:04 am by shaftless

» Role and Mechanisms of Phytochemicals in Hair Growth and Health
Eat, Fast & Live Longer (BBC Horizon Documentary) EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 4:20 am by CausticSymmetry

» IH Regimen
Eat, Fast & Live Longer (BBC Horizon Documentary) EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 4:25 pm by CF

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Eat, Fast & Live Longer (BBC Horizon Documentary) EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 11:16 am by MikeGore

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Eat, Fast & Live Longer (BBC Horizon Documentary)

+4
AS54
LawOfThelema
moby
j87x
8 posters

Go down

Eat, Fast & Live Longer (BBC Horizon Documentary) Empty Eat, Fast & Live Longer (BBC Horizon Documentary)

Post  j87x Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:09 am

Thought this was interesting. Talks about intermittent fasting, and IGF-1.

j87x

Back to top Go down

Eat, Fast & Live Longer (BBC Horizon Documentary) Empty Re: Eat, Fast & Live Longer (BBC Horizon Documentary)

Post  moby Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:06 am

why can't they genetically alter humans in a way that would downregulate this IGF-1?

moby

http://stopmpb.com

Back to top Go down

Eat, Fast & Live Longer (BBC Horizon Documentary) Empty Re: Eat, Fast & Live Longer (BBC Horizon Documentary)

Post  j87x Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:36 am

moby wrote:why can't they genetically alter humans in a way that would downregulate this IGF-1?
They might turn out to be midgets. Suspect

BTW I'm surprised there isn't more discussion of fasting here, it looks like the best way to improve insulin resistance.

j87x

Back to top Go down

Post  moby Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:54 am

j87x wrote:
moby wrote:why can't they genetically alter humans in a way that would downregulate this IGF-1?
They might turn out to be midgets. Suspect

I'm talking about doing it after puberty (age 20+)

moby

Back to top Go down

Post  LawOfThelema Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:45 am

the same reason we can't genetically alter humans at all

LawOfThelema

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:47 am

I don't believe fasting is the best way to improve insulin sensitivity. Fasting can have many ill effects on the body. It has been shown to heighten DNA repair, but so has sleep. If you ask me, sleep was meant to be our intermittent fast. Consider that most intermittent fasting protocols (not normal fasting), require 16 hours of fasting. Well, if you ate a meal at 6 in the evening and didn't eat until 8 am the next morning, you are getting 14 hours of fasting. This is likely plenty of time to fast. Sleep is the most important thing to focus on, not the time going without food.

Do I believe rotating our caloric intakes can provide benefits, sure. But fasting for extended periods of time just isn't necessary and the stress-related effects aren't necessary either. The argument that the body has evolved to handle periods of famine isn't a good enough argument to support extended fasting. Just because we are evolved to deal with something doesn't make it beneficial. We have evolved mechanisms to handle stress, it doesn't mean incurring stress is always beneficial.

Altering macro ratios can help insulin resistance massively. Going on a high fat/ high protein diet with a carb intake of roughly 20-30% calories can increase insulin resistance. Intense exercise done consistently will increase insulin sensitivity. I mean, perhaps I'm wrong, I've been wrong before, but there hasn't been any evidence to show extended fasting increases longevity. Caloric restriction has been shown to increase longevity, but that is likely due to the fact that caloric restriction mitigates excessive insulin and IGF-1.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  LawOfThelema Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:56 am

Doesn't exercising improve insulin sensitivity?

LawOfThelema

Back to top Go down

Post  moby Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:43 pm

LawOfThelema wrote:the same reason we can't genetically alter humans at all

we actually can and we've already cured quite a few people by actually modifying their genes. How is changing mice genes any different from changing human genes apart from safety issues

moby

Back to top Go down

Post  abc123 Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:43 pm

LawOfThelema wrote:Doesn't exercising improve insulin sensitivity?

Large muscles increase your ability to oxidise fats so yes.

abc123

Back to top Go down

Post  Amaranthaceae Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:51 pm

Hail the Warrior diet - Long live the Warrior diet.

Amaranthaceae

Back to top Go down

Post  imprisoned-radical Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:31 am

You can alter gene expression through diet and lifestyle.

LawOfThelema wrote:
Doesn't exercising improve insulin sensitivity?

Depends on the kind of exercise. Excessively long durations of exercise just cause increases in cortisol levels and breakdown of muscle. After about 45-60 minutes of exercise, glycogen stores in muscles become depleted and the adrenal glands start releasing cortisol. Cortisol causes the breakdown of muscles.

I was just thinking today about dietary macronutrient composition and the vast amounts of speculation as to how it can contribute to insulin resistance. Sometimes we get caught up in complicated theories about nutrition that we forget the basics. Caloric excess and lack of physical activity probably contribute more to insulin resistance than the amount of sugar or saturated fats (or unsaturated fats) in your diet. Our bodies are built to handle a diversified diet of whole and unprocessed foods.

Human beings and domesticated animals are the first living things on earth that don't have to exert themselves physically in order to acquire food. About 90% of the population is noticeably unfit. Even people that look "normal-sized" are fat. In most modernized countries, young men in their 20s have very little muscle mass and strength.

IMO, exercise is pretty crucial. One might be inclined to dismiss exercise as unimportant because it's recommended by the mainstream health authorities. But not everything promoted by the mainstream is necessarily false.

I agree with anthonyspencer54. Good sleep is essential.

imprisoned-radical

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:05 am

IR,

I actually agree a lot with what you said. We spend a lot of time nitpicking over various macro ratios. While I do feel that a low-carbohydrate diet can help with insulin sensitivity, when used short term and therapeutically, that does not even apply if your diet is made up of a ton of refined foods.

In my mind, the body's energy management systems are very complex and very sensitive to changes in the environment, and its very impressive. More than likely, insulin resistance is a protective mechanism of the body to mitigate the problems of an energy overabundance. IR pointed out it has only been fairly recently in our evolution that food has been available at the drop of a hat. The lack of activity combined with a hyper-caloric diet leads to an energy overabundance, one that burdens the electron transport chain. Having too many gluco- or lipogenic products within the cell will have this effect and the result is an overproduction of oxidative products. Insulin resistance is probably the body's way of protecting the cell and the mitochondria from this burden. It senses the body is to anabolic, there is just too much energy. While I don't feel calories in vs. calories out is enough to explain the whole situation, suffice it to say the "out" side is not in balance.

Obviously there are other factors that can contribute. ABC has pointed out that LPS can contribute to fatty liver, and fatty liver can create liver specific insulin resistance. Fat stores can become insulin resistance. There is a big hormonal imbalance occurring.

I believe that with proper exercise, sleep, a diet rid of refined foods, proper caloric intake, and a macro ratio that is suited for your metabolic type will eliminate insulin resistance.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  tonyj Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:10 am

I've been on the 5/2 diet for about 6 months and this is the least uncomfortable diet that I've been on. After a fast day of 600 calories, I don't have the urge to binge the next day.
tonyj
tonyj

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down