Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
continued..... EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
continued..... EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
continued..... EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
continued..... EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
continued..... EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
continued..... EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
continued..... EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
continued..... EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
continued..... EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

continued.....

4 posters

Go down

continued..... Empty continued.....

Post  a<r Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:47 am

To be more scientific about it, it's not as much total bodily circulation that's the issue here but microcirculation, which I think is the confusion here.
a<r
a<r
Admin

Back to top Go down

continued..... Empty Re: continued.....

Post  tooyoung Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:54 am

Ar- what do you think would be best to improve this circulation issue?

tooyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  a<r Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:01 am

Basically the same things we've all been doing, its different for everybody but the make or break thing to keep in mind is that androgens are bad for capillaries / blood vessels, and estrogen (certain ones) are better and more protective of angiogenesis. This is what I mean by microcirculation.

Estrogen and the blood vessel wall.
Mendelsohn ME, Karas RH.
Source

Molecular Cardiology Research Center, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts.
Abstract

This article reviews historical studies and recent advances regarding the direct effects of estrogen on the blood vessel wall. It is organized into two sections that summarize effects of estrogen on vasomotor tone and on vascular cell growth and atherogenesis, based on two recognized actions of estrogen on the vasculature: a rapid vasodilatory effect, and an atheroprotective effect involving inhibition of smooth-muscle cell proliferation. These effects are likely mediated by different mechanisms. The rapid vasodilatory effects of estrogen are probably nongenomic, whereas the antiproliferative effects of estrogen are likely due to estrogen receptor-dependent alterations in gene expression. Overlap between these two mechanisms also exists, in that genes regulating the production of two important vasodilators synthesized by the vessel wall (prostacyclin and nitric oxide) can be up-regulated by estrogen. Potential molecular mechanisms by which estrogen exerts its effects are discussed, and future directions in this rapidly evolving area of research are considered.

"When you're going through hell, keep going!" - Winstone Churchill
a<r
a<r
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  SlowMoe Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:29 pm

A < ryours it make sense to you that brushing and scalp massage techniques would improve upon the microcirculation issue?
SlowMoe
SlowMoe

Back to top Go down

Post  a<r Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:02 pm

First off for a good overview of what the difference between microcirculation and straightup bloodflow through the body, this is a good link.

http://www.ivy-rose.co.uk/HumanBody/Blood/Blood_Vessels.php

It's something I never really thought of before slowmoe, I suffer from going for overkill too often and usually miss out on the obvious simple answers to problems.

What I can say is that anecdotally (my mother is a massage therapist) and from what the literature has to say, yes, massage can increase microvascular circulation.

Compressed air massage causes capillary dilation in untraumatised skeletal muscle: a morphometric and ultrastructural study

M.A. Gregorya,
M. Marsb, Corresponding author contact information, E-mail the corresponding author

a Electron Microscopy Unit, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Congella, South Africa
b Department of TeleHealth, Nelson R. Mandela School of Medicine, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Pvt Bag 7, Congella 4013, South Africa

Available online 3 February 2005.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.physio.2004.11.007, How to Cite or Link Using DOI
Cited by in Scopus (3)

Permissions & Reprints

View full text
Purchase $31.50
Abstract
Objectives

Massage is thought to encourage the healing of soft tissue injuries by improving blood flow to the damaged region. This study used light microscopy, transmission electron microscopy and morphometry to determine whether: (a) compressed air massage causes capillary vasodilation; (b) such dilation persists for an extended period of time; and (c) the treatment damages capillaries.
Design

Animal model involving 12 New Zealand white rabbits.
Setting

Electron microscopy unit of the University of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.
Interventions

The rabbits were anaesthetised and treated for 15 minutes using compressed air massage at 1 bar (100 kPa).
Main outcome measures

Biopsies were taken from the treated vastus lateralis within 10 minutes (n = 4), 24 hours (n = 4) and 6 days (n = 4) after treatment and control biopsies were taken from the vastus lateralis of the untreated limb. The samples were stained with toluidine blue for light microscopy, and the external cross-sectional area of at least 60 capillaries was measured from each specimen using image analysis software. Ultra-thin sections were prepared for transmission electron microscopy from biopsies taken from control and treated limbs within 10 minutes (n = 2) and 24 hours (n = 2) after treatment. At least 25 capillaries were collected from each specimen. Endothelial cell thickness and the external and luminal diameters were measured and cross-sectional areas were calculated.
Results

On light microscopy, mean external cross-sectional diameter had increased by 8% immediately after treatment, from 4.96 ± 1.09 μm (95% confidence interval: 4.85–5.08) to 5.33 ± 1.21 μm (95% confidence interval: 5.22–5.45) (P < 0.001), and by 11% 24 hours later, from 5.00 ± 1.22 μm (95% confidence interval: 4.87–5.13) to 5.52 ± 1.22 μm (95% confidence interval: 5.37–5.67) (P < 0.001), returning to normal at 6 days. On electron microscopy, luminal cross-sectional area had increased by 35% immediately after treatment, from 20.29 ± 9.07 μm2 (95% confidence interval: 19.37–21.2) to 23.50 ± 11.83 μm2 (95% confidence interval: 22.35–24.66) (P < 0.05), and remained 30% larger, 24 hours later, from 20.77 ± 10.88 μm2 (95% confidence interval: 19.60–21.95) to 25.66 ± 16.03 μm2 (95% confidence interval: 23.99–27.33) (P < 0.05). While capillaries were larger, endothelial cell thickness was reduced in all post-massage specimens, suggesting vasodilation. No pathomorphology was noted in any capillary apart from mild oedema in one specimen.
Conclusions

Compressed air massage of muscle causes vasodilation of skeletal muscle capillaries and this persists for at least 24 hours after treatment.

As for the wands and other devices used to increase blood flow, they have merit too.

http://www.google.ca/patents?hl=en&lr=&vid=USPAT5632720&id=7ZMoAAAAEBAJ&oi=fnd&dq=massage+blood+vessels&printsec=abstract#v=onepage&q=massage%20blood%20vessels&f=false

I don't think I have to post anything regarding laser helmets, as John Christian (OverMachoGrande, OMG) already has every aspect of this covered, this too has merits beyond what is currently posted on this link.

http://www.overmachogrande.com/http://www.ivy-rose.co.uk/HumanBody/Blood/Blood_Vessels.php

Here's more on the connection between microvascular damage and insulin resistance.

Impaired microvascular perfusion: a consequence of vascular dysfunction and a potential cause of insulin resistance in muscle

Michael G. Clark

+ Author Affiliations

Menzies Research Institute, University of Tasmania, Hobart, Australia

Address for reprint requests and other correspondence: M. G. Clark, Menzies Research Institute, Univ. of Tasmania, Private Bag 58, Hobart 7001, Australia (e-mail: Michael.Clark@utas.edu.au)

Submitted 29 May 2008.
Accepted 7 July 2008.

Next Section
Abstract

Insulin has an exercise-like action to increase microvascular perfusion of skeletal muscle and thereby enhance delivery of hormone and nutrient to the myocytes. With insulin resistance, insulin's action to increase microvascular perfusion is markedly impaired. This review examines the present status of these observations and techniques available to measure such changes as well as the possible underpinning mechanisms. Low physiological doses of insulin and light exercise have been shown to increase microvascular perfusion without increasing bulk blood flow. In these circumstances, blood flow is proposed to be redirected from the nonnutritive route to the nutritive route with flow becoming dominant in the nonnutritive route when insulin resistance has developed. Increased vasomotion controlled by vascular smooth muscle may be part of the explanation by which insulin mediates an increase in microvascular perfusion, as seen from the effects of insulin on both muscle and skin microvascular blood flow. In addition, vascular dysfunction appears to be an early development in the onset of insulin resistance, with the consequence that impaired glucose delivery, more so than insulin delivery, accounts for the diminished glucose uptake by insulin-resistant muscle. Regular exercise may prevent and ameliorate insulin resistance by increasing “vascular fitness” and thereby recovering insulin-mediated capillary recruitment.

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/295/4/E732.full

"When you're going through hell, keep going!" - Winstone Churchill
a<r
a<r
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  imprisoned-radical Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:59 pm

I think microvascular circulation depends on overall bodily circulation. This makes sense when you're thinking in terms of fluid mechanics.

Just an anecdotal observation, back when my hair was noticeably thinning it was much more prominent on the left side of my scalp - all the way from the frontal hairline to the vertex. The hairline had also receded further on the left side as well.

I used to play tennis back in middle school and so the musculature on the right side of my body (especially neck, back, shoulders, and forearms) is much better developed than the left side. In particular, my right trapezius is much larger than my left one. It seems plausible that the muscles of the neck and upper back would affect blood flow to the cutaneous vessels of the scalp.

There is an inverse correlation between overall muscle mass and insulin resistance.

imprisoned-radical

Back to top Go down

Post  imprisoned-radical Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:13 pm

Changes in the control of skin blood flow with exercise training: where do cutaneous vascular adaptations fit in?
Simmons GH, Wong BJ, Holowatz LA, Kenney WL.
Source
Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211, USA. simmonsgh@missouri.edu

Abstract
Heat is the most abundant byproduct of cellular metabolism. As such, dynamic exercise in which a significant percentage of muscle mass is engaged generates thermoregulatory demands that are met in part by increases in skin blood flow. Increased skin blood flow during exercise adds to the demands on cardiac output and confers additional circulatory strain beyond that associated with perfusion of active muscle alone. Endurance exercise training results in a number of physiological adaptations which ultimately reduce circulatory strain and shift thermoregulatory control of skin blood flow to higher levels of blood flow for a given core temperature. In addition, exercise training induces peripheral vascular adaptations within the cutaneous microvasculature indicative of enhanced endothelium-dependent vasomotor function. However, it is not currently clear how (or if) these local vascular adaptations contribute to the beneficial changes in thermoregulatory control of skin blood flow following exercise training. The purpose of this Hot Topic Review is to synthesize the literature pertaining to exercise training-mediated changes in cutaneous microvascular reactivity and thermoregulatory control of skin blood flow. In addition, we address mechanisms driving changes in cutaneous microvascular reactivity and thermoregulatory control of skin blood flow, and pose the question: what (if any) is the functional role of increased cutaneous microvascular reactivity following exercise training?

This abstract concludes that there is increased cutaneous microvascular blood flow during and immediately following physical exercise. But I wonder if increasing muscle mass increases basal cutaneous blood flow.

imprisoned-radical

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down