Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Conventional Hair Loss meets Alternative views: The role of inflammation in the gene expression and activation of sex hormone receptor sites - Page 3 EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Conventional Hair Loss meets Alternative views: The role of inflammation in the gene expression and activation of sex hormone receptor sites - Page 3 EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Conventional Hair Loss meets Alternative views: The role of inflammation in the gene expression and activation of sex hormone receptor sites - Page 3 EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Conventional Hair Loss meets Alternative views: The role of inflammation in the gene expression and activation of sex hormone receptor sites - Page 3 EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Conventional Hair Loss meets Alternative views: The role of inflammation in the gene expression and activation of sex hormone receptor sites - Page 3 EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Conventional Hair Loss meets Alternative views: The role of inflammation in the gene expression and activation of sex hormone receptor sites - Page 3 EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Conventional Hair Loss meets Alternative views: The role of inflammation in the gene expression and activation of sex hormone receptor sites - Page 3 EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Conventional Hair Loss meets Alternative views: The role of inflammation in the gene expression and activation of sex hormone receptor sites - Page 3 EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Conventional Hair Loss meets Alternative views: The role of inflammation in the gene expression and activation of sex hormone receptor sites - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Conventional Hair Loss meets Alternative views: The role of inflammation in the gene expression and activation of sex hormone receptor sites

+5
CausticSymmetry
Smurfy
AS54
LawOfThelema
a
9 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Conventional Hair Loss meets Alternative views: The role of inflammation in the gene expression and activation of sex hormone receptor sites - Page 3 Empty Re: Conventional Hair Loss meets Alternative views: The role of inflammation in the gene expression and activation of sex hormone receptor sites

Post  SlowMoe Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:19 am

anthonyspencer54 wrote:Hey Floppy,

I think there are more appropriate forums for you to be on. I believe there is hope for you to solve
your problem, and if not, there are plenty of people out there who are completely fine with a small penis.

Are you referring to me?
SlowMoe
SlowMoe

Back to top Go down

Conventional Hair Loss meets Alternative views: The role of inflammation in the gene expression and activation of sex hormone receptor sites - Page 3 Empty Re: Conventional Hair Loss meets Alternative views: The role of inflammation in the gene expression and activation of sex hormone receptor sites

Post  a<r Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:25 am

He was referring to 2020, but I deleted the post.

"When you're going through hell, keep going!" - Winstone Churchill
a<r
a<r
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  SlowMoe Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:28 am

I think old flop might be stalking me.
SlowMoe
SlowMoe

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:34 am

Haha, sorry SlowMoe, I jumped on here too quick and responded to a spammer. Lesson learned when their comment is removed, I look stupid.

Anyhow, my thoughts on circulation...

First of all, I don't believe hairloss can really be an issue of general circulation. If this was the case we'd see some type of gradient in thinning, with hair getting progressively thinner from the crown down to the neckline. But we don't see this. Unless there is some type of physical barrier there (I haven't seen any research on the Galea theory that leads me to believe it) I'm unaware of that creates the typical MPB line, there must be an issue with micro-circulation specific to the hair bulb itself, perhaps the result of sex hormone related inflammation and subsequent calcification.

If that is the case, the environment would support bacterial invasion. This could easily play a role in the entire chain of events and augment that inflammation already present in the region. So you might be on something there. For me, the difficulty is establishing the chronology. Which came first?

Sex hormone > High distribution of receptors made more sensitive by various inflammatory factors > localized inflammation > degradation of bulb and surrounding capillaries > low oxygen environment > bacterial invasion > more inflammation and immune attack > hair thinning

or...

bacterial invasion > inflammation and hyper immunity localized to hair bulb > vascular damage > low oxygen > promotes maintenance of infection > chronic inflammation and hair thinning

I'm racking my brain trying to determine what the intended target of the lymphocyte attack is. If not infection, what other reason? Autoimmune attack due to sex hormones? (I would love to know if it is possible because that would have huge effects for aging theories). Or perhaps some type of adverse lipidemia inciting the inflammation and immune deposition?

Any and all of the inflammation would only be added to by any dietary factors, heavy metal toxicity (oxidation and immune evasion for pathogens), poor thyroid function (even less oxygen delivery), poor thyroid function and bacterial toxic products lower insulin sensitivity (also compounded by the inflammatory state of leptin resistance) leading to improper blood glucose maintenance which exacerbates the inflammation and any infection present. I picture a coach trying to draw out a complicated football play on a dry erase board for a bunch of 5 year olds and they all just have a poker face '_'. I feel like a five year old trying to envision all of the the different interaction variables here. This would be a damn statistical mess.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  a<r Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:49 am

SlowMoe wrote:I think old flop might be stalking me.

You and me both man, make sure no private information is here on this forum.

a<r
a<r
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  SlowMoe Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:33 am

Here's what I'm curious about. 

Floppy posted a study where the circulation theory was debunked by transplanting MPB hairs to other areas of the body where circulation was better, and they continued to die.

What I am wondering, is why there are ZERO clinical studied where the control group simply had their head brushed or massaged for 15 minutes a day. I mean the theory had been out there for a hundred years at least! 

Why hasn't there been ONE study performed on humans where increased blood flow to the head was the only variable. 
Not one!

About the "MPB line".... I have noticed that during times of stress, the skin on my scalp is very tight, but ONLY in the MPB areas! On either side of the balding areas, the skin is loose and elastic. When I massage the sides of my head where the scalp muscles are it becomes much looser.

So on my scalp, there is definately a correlation between tightness (and assumed poor bloodflow) and hair loss. 

Also- I noticed that when I first started brushing my hair, my s alp was very sensitive and it hurt alot o brush (inflammation?). A couple weeks into it, no pain at all...
SlowMoe
SlowMoe

Back to top Go down

Post  SlowMoe Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:36 am

a
SlowMoe wrote:I think old flop might be stalking me.

You and me both man, make sure no private information is here on this forum.
If I suddenly stop posting on here, you will know he found me.
SlowMoe
SlowMoe

Back to top Go down

Post  a<r Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:36 am

anthonyspencer54 wrote:Haha, sorry SlowMoe, I jumped on here too quick and responded to a spammer. Lesson learned when their comment is removed, I look stupid.

Anyhow, my thoughts on circulation...

First of all, I don't believe hairloss can really be an issue of general circulation. If this was the case we'd see some type of gradient in thinning, with hair getting progressively thinner from the crown down to the neckline. But we don't see this. Unless there is some type of physical barrier there (I haven't seen any research on the Galea theory that leads me to believe it) I'm unaware of that creates the typical MPB line, there must be an issue with micro-circulation specific to the hair bulb itself, perhaps the result of sex hormone related inflammation and subsequent calcification.

If that is the case, the environment would support bacterial invasion. This could easily play a role in the entire chain of events and augment that inflammation already present in the region. So you might be on something there. For me, the difficulty is establishing the chronology. Which came first?

Sex hormone > High distribution of receptors made more sensitive by various inflammatory factors > localized inflammation > degradation of bulb and surrounding capillaries > low oxygen environment > bacterial invasion > more inflammation and immune attack > hair thinning

or...

bacterial invasion > inflammation and hyper immunity localized to hair bulb > vascular damage > low oxygen > promotes maintenance of infection > chronic inflammation and hair thinning

I'm racking my brain trying to determine what the intended target of the lymphocyte attack is. If not infection, what other reason? Autoimmune attack due to sex hormones? (I would love to know if it is possible because that would have huge effects for aging theories). Or perhaps some type of adverse lipidemia inciting the inflammation and immune deposition?

Any and all of the inflammation would only be added to by any dietary factors, heavy metal toxicity (oxidation and immune evasion for pathogens), poor thyroid function (even less oxygen delivery), poor thyroid function and bacterial toxic products lower insulin sensitivity (also compounded by the inflammatory state of leptin resistance) leading to improper blood glucose maintenance which exacerbates the inflammation and any infection present. I picture a coach trying to draw out a complicated football play on a dry erase board for a bunch of 5 year olds and they all just have a poker face '_'. I feel like a five year old trying to envision all of the the different interaction variables here. This would be a damn statistical mess.

Slowmoe brings up an interesting point, making the scalp like a canary in the coalmine so to speak for insulin resistance, which has been shown through numerous studies to be correlated with mpb. Full blown late stage diabetics often have infections in their their feet that leads to necrosis and biofilm establisment, this is due to lack of blood flow by way of poor circulation. At that stage, its full body blood flow problems and not just microvascular though.

I also think you're right on the money anthony, but as for the first step in this process, I still don't think we've identified yet, because from my experience the best way to think of it, is by marking it an open variable "X". X could be any number of things that cause insulin resistance and inflammation in the body, which isn't localized just to the scalp but the body as a whole. This idea fits much better with the available science and fits much more easily with our theory as well.

Microvascular Complications of Impaired Glucose Tolerance

J. Robinson Singleton1,
A. Gordon Smith12,
James W. Russell3 and
Eva L. Feldman3

+ Author Affiliations

1Department of Neurology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah
2Department of Pathology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah
3Department of Neurology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan

Address correspondence and reprint requests to Eva L. Feldman, Professor and Director, JDRF Center for the Study of Complications in Diabetes, University of Michigan, Department of Neurology, 4414 Kresge III 200 Zina Pitcher Place, Ann Arbor, MI 48109. E-mail: efeldman@umich.edu

Abstract

Impaired glucose tolerance (IGT) serves as a marker for the state of insulin resistance and predicts both large- and small-vessel vascular complications, independent of a patient’s progression to diabetes. Patients with IGT are at significantly increased risk for death and morbidity due to myocardial infarction, stroke, and large-vessel occlusive disease. IGT is more predictive of cardiovascular morbidity than impaired fasting glucose, probably because it is a better surrogate for the state of insulin resistance. IGT is also independently associated with traditional microvascular complications of diabetes, including retinopathy, renal disease, and polyneuropathy, which are the topics of this review. Inhibition of nitric oxide-mediated vasodilation, endothelial injury due to increased release of free fatty acids and adipocytokines from adipocytes, and direct metabolic injury of endothelial and end-organ cells contribute to vascular complications. Early detection of IGT allows intensive diet and exercise modification, which has proven significantly more effective than drug therapy in normalizing postprandial glucose and inhibiting progression to diabetes. To what degree intervention will limit recognized complications is not known.

Mechanisms of disease: Pathway-selective insulin resistance and microvascular complications of diabetes.

Groop PH, Forsblom C, Thomas MC.
Source

Helsinki University Central Hospital, Finland. per-henrik.groop@helsinki.fi
Abstract

Resistance to the actions of insulin is strongly associated with the microvascular complications of diabetes. To the extent that insulin resistance leads to hyperglycemia, dyslipidemia and hypertension, this association is not surprising. It is now clear that insulin also has direct actions in the microvasculature that influence the development and progression of microvascular disease. In the healthy state, insulin appears to have only minor effects on vascular function, because of the activation of opposing mediators such as nitric oxide and endothelin-1. Diabetes and obesity, however, are associated with selective insulin resistance in the phosphatidylinositol-3-kinase signaling pathway, which leads to reduced synthesis of nitric oxide, impaired metabolic control and compensatory hyperinsulinemia. By contrast, insulin signaling via extracellular signal-regulated kinase dependent pathways is relatively unaffected in diabetes, tipping the balance of insulin's actions so that they favor abnormal vasoreactivity, angiogenesis, and other pathways implicated in microvascular complications and hypertension. In addition, preferential impairment of nonoxidative glucose metabolism leads to increased intracellular formation of advanced glycation end products, oxidative stress and activation of other pathogenic mediators. Despite a strong temporal association, a causal link between pathway-selective insulin resistance and microvascular damage remains to be established. It is possible that this association reflects a common genotype or phenotype. Nonetheless, insulin resistance remains an important marker of risk and a key target for intervention, because those patients who achieve a greater improvement of insulin sensitivity achieve better microvascular outcomes.

PMID:
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Upon posting that, I believe this is where we can really combine a lot of my past research into the microenvironment of the gut with the pathology of MPB.

"Insulin resistance is the harbinger of metabolic syndrome. Insulin resistance is when the body cannot use insulin effectively. As a result, blood sugar and fat levels rise. Therein lies the path to morbid obesity, diabetes, stroke, and heart problems. A group of Brazilian researchers have taken a strain of mice normally known to be immune to insulin resistance, and made them insulin resistant (pre-diabetic) by changing their gut bacteria. They then gave the mice antibiotics, and by changing their gut bacteria again, reversed the process, curing them of the disease. Their research shows just how influential the bacteria living in our gut can be on our health."

Gut Microbiota Is a Key Modulator of Insulin Resistance in TLR 2 Knockout Mice

Andréa M. Caricilli1, Paty K. Picardi1, Lélia L. de Abreu2, Mirian Ueno1, Patrícia O. Prada1, Eduardo R. Ropelle1, Sandro Massao Hirabara3, Ângela Castoldi4, Pedro Vieira4, Niels O. S. Camara4, Rui Curi3, José B. Carvalheira1, Mário J. A. Saad1*

1 Department of Internal Medicine, State University of Campinas, Campinas, Brazil, 2 Department of Nursing, State University of Campinas, Campinas, Brazil, 3 Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, University of São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil, 4 Department of Immunology, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, University of São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
Abstract Top

Environmental factors and host genetics interact to control the gut microbiota, which may have a role in the development of obesity and insulin resistance. TLR2-deficient mice, under germ-free conditions, are protected from diet-induced insulin resistance. It is possible that the presence of gut microbiota could reverse the phenotype of an animal, inducing insulin resistance in an animal genetically determined to have increased insulin sensitivity, such as the TLR2 KO mice. In the present study, we investigated the influence of gut microbiota on metabolic parameters, glucose tolerance, insulin sensitivity, and signaling of TLR2-deficient mice. We investigated the gut microbiota (by metagenomics), the metabolic characteristics, and insulin signaling in TLR2 knockout (KO) mice in a non-germ free facility. Results showed that the loss of TLR2 in conventionalized mice results in a phenotype reminiscent of metabolic syndrome, characterized by differences in the gut microbiota, with a 3-fold increase in Firmicutes and a slight increase in Bacteroidetes compared with controls. These changes in gut microbiota were accompanied by an increase in LPS absorption, subclinical inflammation, insulin resistance, glucose intolerance, and later, obesity. In addition, this sequence of events was reproduced in WT mice by microbiota transplantation and was also reversed by antibiotics. At the molecular level the mechanism was unique, with activation of TLR4 associated with ER stress and JNK activation, but no activation of the IKKβ-IκB-NFκB pathway. Our data also showed that in TLR2 KO mice there was a reduction in regulatory T cell in visceral fat, suggesting that this modulation may also contribute to the insulin resistance of these animals. Our results emphasize the role of microbiota in the complex network of molecular and cellular interactions that link genotype to phenotype and have potential implications for common human disorders involving obesity, diabetes, and even other immunological disorders.

That is just one study of the hundreds that I've read showing a major linkage between metabolic diseases and our gut bacteria.

This theory also possibly does some more tidying up of our theory, and that of a big mystery of the inheritance of male pattern baldness and other disorders. How do we get our gut bacteria? from our mothers during birth and gestation, just like our genes are passed onto us.

a<r
a<r
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  a<r Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:44 am

SlowMoe wrote:Here's what I'm curious about. 

Floppy posted a study where the circulation theory was debunked by transplanting MPB hairs to other areas of the body where circulation was better, and they continued to die.

What I am wondering, is why there are ZERO clinical studied where the control group simply had their head brushed or massaged for 15 minutes a day. I mean the theory had been out there for a hundred years at least! 

Why hasn't there been ONE study performed on humans where increased blood flow to the head was the only variable. 
Not one!

About the "MPB line".... I have noticed that during times of stress, the skin on my scalp is very tight, but ONLY in the MPB areas! On either side of the balding areas, the skin is loose and elastic. When I massage the sides of my head where the scalp muscles are it becomes much looser.

So on my scalp, there is definately a correlation between tightness (and assumed poor bloodflow) and hair loss. 

Also- I noticed that when I first started brushing my hair, my s alp was very sensitive and it hurt alot o brush (inflammation?). A couple weeks into it, no pain at all...

If I could guess why there have been no studies done on manual scalp exercises, it would be due to the fact that there's no funding for it, who wants to fund for proof of a technique that would be free, available to anybody who wants it, and at the same time remove billions of dollars yearly from other hairloss treatments? nobody in the pharmaceutical world.

As for the study posted by Floppy, I can't begin on how flawed that study was, there's no reason in the world why a hair should survive in the arm tissue ... if there was, long terminal hairs would grow there.

a<r
a<r
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:47 am

Damn, A > R, great one. I'm not sure why, I mean I knew about the gut connection, but for some reason when I've been going over the x's and arrows sort of schematic in my head I didn't consider it. I think I'm getting somewhere as far as a concrete mental picture of hair loss, my thanks to you sir.

One of these days we should compile all of your studies and just list them in logical order in the chain of what we think is the pathogenesis of hair loss. That would make an amazing thread.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  a<r Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:50 am

That would make one looooong thread, haha, but ... perhaps ... why not? I'll spend some time going over all I've posted over my last couple accounts and post a "best of" in this thread.

a<r
a<r
Admin

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3