Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Join Hoppi in his quest to find the best topical astringent!! EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Join Hoppi in his quest to find the best topical astringent!! EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Join Hoppi in his quest to find the best topical astringent!! EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Join Hoppi in his quest to find the best topical astringent!! EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Join Hoppi in his quest to find the best topical astringent!! EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Join Hoppi in his quest to find the best topical astringent!! EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Join Hoppi in his quest to find the best topical astringent!! EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Join Hoppi in his quest to find the best topical astringent!! EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Join Hoppi in his quest to find the best topical astringent!! EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Join Hoppi in his quest to find the best topical astringent!!

+2
LawOfThelema
Hoppipolla
6 posters

Go down

Join Hoppi in his quest to find the best topical astringent!! Empty Join Hoppi in his quest to find the best topical astringent!!

Post  Hoppipolla Sat May 26, 2012 9:29 am

Because I think they work for MPB damnit!!

Witch hazel I've heard a success story, apple cider vinegar gets lots of success stories, accutane got success, very cold water, salicylic acid, coenzyme A, etc.

I truly think astringents are very, very useful at controlling MPB at least topically.

Why? Because I think they dry up the sebum onwhich the fungal infection (that causes the dandruff very commonly associated with MPB) feeds. He who controls the sebum controls the fungus' food supply and he who controls the food supply controls the MPB!

Kinda like this!

Join Hoppi in his quest to find the best topical astringent!! 6a01127947363b28a4013486461fe6970c-pi

Very Happy

So yes erm, I think this is a great help and to me explains why some antifungals seem to work better than others at stopping MPB - because they also often have other properties such as antiandrogenic or astringent which help them along.

To me, witch hazel is simply too expensive - you can't buy it as an essential oil so you need to buy just witch hazel fluid which gets very expensive compared to essential oils. I think it does work well though, as it worked the best out of everything I tried for spots I had when I was in my teens. Very cold water is unpleasant and apple cider vinegar really smells...

So, I wanted some help finding the most useful topical astringent. Something powerful, affordable, and pleasant to apply.

Will you help me in this great mission? Very Happy

Hoppi!

EDIT -- Oh, here is a starting point but I don't know which are better than others, although I know alum works pretty well as I used to use it as deodorant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astringent
Hoppipolla
Hoppipolla

http://www.hoppimike.com

Back to top Go down

Join Hoppi in his quest to find the best topical astringent!! Empty Re: Join Hoppi in his quest to find the best topical astringent!!

Post  LawOfThelema Sat May 26, 2012 2:06 pm

why do you think astringents specifically are good for MPB?

better would be to find antihistamines, since antihistamines interfere with the activity of PGD2. tyme oil is iirc an antihistamine, so you can't go wrong there.

I think ACV is used for its activity against PGD2 as well as for it's ability to clean off excess sebum.

Vinegar is a PGD2 receptor antagonist. Not sure it can penetrate enough into the scalp for effect though.

If you really want astringents lemons are astringent.

LawOfThelema

Back to top Go down

Join Hoppi in his quest to find the best topical astringent!! Empty Re: Join Hoppi in his quest to find the best topical astringent!!

Post  Hoppipolla Sat May 26, 2012 5:30 pm

LawOfThelema wrote:why do you think astringents specifically are good for MPB?

better would be to find antihistamines, since antihistamines interfere with the activity of PGD2. tyme oil is iirc an antihistamine, so you can't go wrong there.

I think ACV is used for its activity against PGD2 as well as for it's ability to clean off excess sebum.

Vinegar is a PGD2 receptor antagonist. Not sure it can penetrate enough into the scalp for effect though.

If you really want astringents lemons are astringent.

Is this to do with inflammation? But I thought the inflammation was only there because of the fungus which is only there because of the sebum? o.O
Hoppipolla
Hoppipolla

Back to top Go down

Post  LawOfThelema Sat May 26, 2012 10:54 pm

Scalp in aga is overly sensitive to inflammation provoking factors. I don't think it necessarily solely due to the Presence of a pathogen tho I do know that pathogens will exasperate it. Dandruff etc. mpbresearch.com notes proprianobacterium were found present in higher concentrations in aga scalps than non tho I couldn't find the source for the claim

LawOfThelema

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoppipolla Sat May 26, 2012 11:16 pm

LawOfThelema wrote:Scalp in aga is overly sensitive to inflammation provoking factors. I don't think it necessarily solely due to the Presence of a pathogen tho I do know that pathogens will exasperate it. Dandruff etc. mpbresearch.com notes proprianobacterium were found present in higher concentrations in aga scalps than non tho I couldn't find the source for the claim

oh wow.. you really think it's not just the pathogens? I was sure it was only those causing the inflammation Shocked

I have seen a few success stories with witch hazel and witch hazel + olive oil, which is interesting.
Hoppipolla
Hoppipolla

Back to top Go down

Post  Balthier Sun May 27, 2012 10:48 am

what about cayenne and cinnamon stuff that Ive heard people add to acv to add more circulation?

Balthier

Back to top Go down

Post  unfortunate Sun May 27, 2012 11:00 am

Inline with the whole sebum/fungus control thing... What about using a retin-a based liquid or formula every other night? I have read countless studies showing it is beneficial and controls sebum apporpriately. It also regenerates skin. You just have to make sure not to overdo it. I am actually currently looking for a good source of the liquid version of it. Dr. Lee used to carry it, but he's out of business now.

Am thinking of combining it with Rejueveplex applications.

unfortunate

Back to top Go down

Post  LawOfThelema Sun May 27, 2012 11:07 am

At the inhuman experiment blog he grew hairs on his temple with Retin-A

oh wow.. you really think it's not just the pathogens? I was sure it was only those causing the inflammation Shocked

A lot of the speculation that takes place here is along those lines but I havent seen any science regarding MPB which suggest too much in this direction

Last edited by LawOfThelema on Sun May 27, 2012 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total

LawOfThelema

Back to top Go down

Post  unfortunate Sun May 27, 2012 11:08 am

LawOfThelema wrote:At the inhuman experiment blog he grew hairs on his temple with Retin-A

Who did? link?

unfortunate

Back to top Go down

Post  LawOfThelema Sun May 27, 2012 11:09 am

google inhuman experiment retin-a emu oil conclusion

i aint got the link on hand

LawOfThelema

Back to top Go down

Post  unfortunate Sun May 27, 2012 11:19 am

LawOfThelema wrote:google inhuman experiment retin-a emu oil conclusion

Ah ok, yes I have seen this link before. It actually was one of the ones that originally made me curious about it. I really do think that retinoids (when used properly) can have a beneficial effect on hair loss in 2 ways.

1. Control sebum (bacteria, fungus, dht buildup and other things that feed off of it)
2. Penetration - they help active ingredients penetrate through the scalp skin at a much higher level

In addition there is some evidence that retinoids help regenerate skin and even help with collagen prodcution.

unfortunate

Back to top Go down

Post  Mastery Sun May 27, 2012 11:35 am

CS - Can you give your detailed opinion on this please.

Thanks!
Mastery
Mastery

Back to top Go down

Post  LawOfThelema Sun May 27, 2012 1:29 pm

unfortunate wrote:
LawOfThelema wrote:google inhuman experiment retin-a emu oil conclusion

Ah ok, yes I have seen this link before. It actually was one of the ones that originally made me curious about it. I really do think that retinoids (when used properly) can have a beneficial effect on hair loss in 2 ways.

1. Control sebum (bacteria, fungus, dht buildup and other things that feed off of it)
2. Penetration - they help active ingredients penetrate through the scalp skin at a much higher level

In addition there is some evidence that retinoids help regenerate skin and even help with collagen prodcution.

Yeah it definitely seems good. It's one of the more "proven" treatments floating around. People all the time either using it stand a lone or in combination with their minoxodil or other topicals. For me the main thing would be the greasy base. I don't like wearing my hair really short, so I'd probably only do retin-A at night, cuz it's invariably gonna get in my hair when I apply it to the scalp.

LawOfThelema

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoppipolla Sun May 27, 2012 11:46 pm

Yeah I head Retin A can have positive effects too. It's fairly pricey though relatively speaking and can be tricky to get hold of. I would imagine that to control sebum witch hazel mixed in olive oil or something would be cheaper. I guess it depends what you're aiming to do Smile
Hoppipolla
Hoppipolla

Back to top Go down

Post  gutted Mon May 28, 2012 11:12 pm

hoppipolla wrote:Yeah I head Retin A can have positive effects too. It's fairly pricey though relatively speaking and can be tricky to get hold of. I would imagine that to control sebum witch hazel mixed in olive oil or something would be cheaper. I guess it depends what you're aiming to do Smile

how about tea tree oil?

im also looking for some more potent antifungals,antimicrobials, antibacterials to apply to the scalp.

gutted

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down