Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
glaucoma - Glaucoma medication causes hair regrowth EmptyToday at 12:43 am by MikeGore

» zombie cells
glaucoma - Glaucoma medication causes hair regrowth EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
glaucoma - Glaucoma medication causes hair regrowth EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
glaucoma - Glaucoma medication causes hair regrowth EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
glaucoma - Glaucoma medication causes hair regrowth EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
glaucoma - Glaucoma medication causes hair regrowth EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
glaucoma - Glaucoma medication causes hair regrowth EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
glaucoma - Glaucoma medication causes hair regrowth EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
glaucoma - Glaucoma medication causes hair regrowth EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Glaucoma medication causes hair regrowth

+2
blueway
mphatesmpb
6 posters

Go down

glaucoma - Glaucoma medication causes hair regrowth Empty Glaucoma medication causes hair regrowth

Post  mphatesmpb Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:22 am

Prostaglandin metabolism in human hair follicle.
Colombe L, Vindrios A, Michelet JF, Bernard BA.
Source
Centre Charles Zviak, L'Oreal Recherche, 90 rue du Général Roguet, Clichy Cedex, France. lcolombe@rd.loreal.com

Abstract
Prostaglandins regulate a wide number of physiological functions. Recently PGF(2alpha) analogue such as latanoprost was shown to have a real impact on hair regrowth. The aim of this study was to investigate and describe the expression profile in human hair follicle of prostaglandin metabolism key enzymes, i.e. carbonyl reductase-1 (CBR1), microsomal prostaglandin E synthase-1 (mPGES-1) and microsomal prostaglandin E synthase-2 (mPGES-2), cytosolic prostaglandin E synthase (cPGES), the aldoketoreductase AKR1C1 and the prostaglandin F synthase AKR1C3. Quantitative RT-PCR on plucked hair follicles revealed some sex-related differences, mPGES-2 and AKR1C3 expression levels being higher in women. Cell and hair follicle compartment specificity was investigated using Western blot, PGE(2) and PGF(2alpha) ELISA assays and immunohistochemistry. Most of the hair cell types were endowed with prostaglandin metabolism machinery and were thus able to produce PGE(2) and/or PGF(2alpha). The epithelial part of the hair bulb was identified by immunohistology and EIA assays as the main source of prostaglandin synthesis and interconversion. All these observations support the concept that prostaglandins might be involved in hair growth and differentiation control.

From online medical dictionary:

PGE2 alpha
The most common and most biologically active of the mammalian prostaglandins. It exhibits most biological activities characteristic of prostaglandins and has been used extensively as an oxytocic agent. The compound also displays a protective effect on the intestinal mucosa.

My dad currently takes latanoprost for glaucoma, and hundreds of hairs are beginning to appear on his scalp. It's pretty remarkable considering he was slick bald for about 5 years.

Chronic inflammatory disease is caused by the imbalance of non-inflammatory prostaglandins and inflammatory prostaglandins in the body. Cell membrane fatty acid profiles cause this imbalance, and it is the dietary sources or these fatty acids that is responsible for the cell membrane fatty acid make-up. Chronic inflammatory disease can be overcome by addressing the tissue fatty acid imbalance.
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

glaucoma - Glaucoma medication causes hair regrowth Empty Re: Glaucoma medication causes hair regrowth

Post  blueway Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:53 am

When I search a anti glaucoma supplement, I find AAKG.

blueway

Back to top Go down

glaucoma - Glaucoma medication causes hair regrowth Empty Re: Glaucoma medication causes hair regrowth

Post  crincrin Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:45 am

Your father uses the drug in the form of eye drops?

-btw mp I'll get to that vid you sent me, just been really busy for the past couple weeks.

crincrin

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:57 am

yeah, he takes it in the form of eye drops. The latanoprost might be entering his bloodstream and then coming into contact with hair follicles.

But there's no way to know because he also takes one or more prescription drugs for hypertension (eg., minoxidil decreases blood pressure and promotes hair growth by activating ATP-sensitive potassium channels). The next time I talk to him I'll ask which hypertension drugs exactly he is currently taking.

Just found this dermatology article about the hair growth promoting effects of latanoprost:
http://dermatology.cdlib.org/93/commentary/alopecia/wolf.html
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucky13 Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:22 am

This stuff is expensive to buy. I wonder if there is a natural approach to this or something cheaper.

Lucky13

Back to top Go down

Post  itzmecorey Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:21 pm

I have a ton of Latanoprost! PM me if you guys may be interested... in the form of Xalatan!

Also some Bimatoprost in the brand name of Lumigan.... (Which is similar to Latisse)

itzmecorey

http://www.coreychmiel.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:44 pm

Last night I was reading a dermatology textbook and was surprised to find that antioxidants actually reduce levels of PGE2 in the scalp. Not expected since PGE2 has actually been shown to promote hair growth.

glaucoma - Glaucoma medication causes hair regrowth Pictur10

glaucoma - Glaucoma medication causes hair regrowth Pictur11

And then in another textbook I found a potential explanation for this counter-intuitive effect:

glaucoma - Glaucoma medication causes hair regrowth Pge2-s10

So it seems that PGE2 has immunosuppressive effects. I think addressing the immune response in the skin is crucial for combating MPB.

I'm thinking that a combination of onion/garlic juice (for killing the microbial organisms responsible for the immune response, eg. propionibacterium and malassezia) and some other hair-growth promoting agent like the luteolin in thyme would produce great results.

And of course there's internal modulation of the immune system, primarily through optimizing intestinal health.
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:06 pm

Found this post on regrowth.com:

PGD2S LEVELS ARE ELEVATED IN BALD SCALP

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?ELEMENT_SET=F&LANGUAGE=ENG&KEY=07%2F149312&IA=07%2F149312&DISPLAY=DESC
"RESULTS

[ 00517 ] In addition to the above genes, levels of the lipocalin (brain) isoform prostaglandin D2 synthase (PGD2S) were elevated in bald scalp relative to haired scalp (Figure 7A). To confirm this finding, PGD2 levels were tested in bald and haired tissue from 3 patients. PGD2 was elevated in all bald samples, 15 at an average fold increase of 11.6 (Figure 7B). This increase in PGD2 was verified in 1 individual by mass spectrometry. PGD2 was detected at 17 pg/mg of tissue in haired scalp and 75.5 pg/mg in bald scalp, representing a 4.4 fold increase in bald tissue. PGF2a also was slightly elevated in bald scalp with 6.7 pg/mg in haired scalp and 15.9 pg/mg in bald scalp. PGE2, however, exhibited the reverse trend with PGE2 present at 22.7 pg/mg in the haired scalp and 12.0 pg/mg in the bald scalp (Figure 7C).

20 [ 00518 ] The RT-PCR results were further confirmed in 2 individuals not measured in the original array study by quantitative RT PCR, demonstrating a 5.23 and 10.7 fold increase of L-PGDS in bald scalp over haired scalp (Figure 7D). Immunohistochemical staining of L-PGDS revealed an increase in bald scalp, with L-PGDS appearing in the cells along the fibrous root sheath populated by dermal fibroblasts, as well as in scattered locations intrafollicularly. Given the lack of expression of L-PGDS in hematopoietic

25 cells, increases in L-PGDS were not from the sparse inflammatory cell infiltrate occasionally present in AGA.

[ 00519 ] Thus, PGD2 synthase and PGD2 are targets for ameliorating common baldness, e.g."
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  magic_gro Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:22 pm

i had been on topical bimatoprost (over my temples). i had got the original latisse smuggled from india by a friend. it costed me just 10 bucks per bottle instead of 120. the problem is: the bottle is ridiculously small... the content must me the size of a cherry, no kidding. so, i must have got a dozen bottles, and i don't think they regrew much... but that amount of stuff was really little, i should have perhaps got 100 bottles, but then that would have costed me a thousand bucks... Sad
magic_gro
magic_gro

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:33 pm

lol magic, is there anything you haven't tried on your temples? Smile
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down