Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Weight training associated with male pattern baldness? EmptyToday at 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Weight training associated with male pattern baldness? EmptyToday at 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Weight training associated with male pattern baldness? EmptyYesterday at 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Weight training associated with male pattern baldness? EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Weight training associated with male pattern baldness? EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Weight training associated with male pattern baldness? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

» Medical Coder During C0NV!D
Weight training associated with male pattern baldness? EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Potential Natural Products Regulation of Molecular Signaling Pathway in Dermal Papilla Stem Cells
Weight training associated with male pattern baldness? EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 7:44 am by CausticSymmetry

» Breast Biopsy
Weight training associated with male pattern baldness? EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 2:23 am by shaftless

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Weight training associated with male pattern baldness?

4 posters

Go down

Weight training associated with male pattern baldness? Empty Weight training associated with male pattern baldness?

Post  paranoidbone Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:44 am

I am 22 years old and currently show no signs of hair loss. My grandfather on my mothers side shows notable hair loss (he's in his 70s) and my other grandfather shows none. I would really like to get into weight lifting because i want to improve how i look (I have confidence issues) but with the countless number of things I have read relating the activity to male pattern baldness I am very reluctant to start. Please help!

paranoidbone

Back to top Go down

Weight training associated with male pattern baldness? Empty Re: Weight training associated with male pattern baldness?

Post  DragonRider Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:49 pm

I'm 54, been working out for 36 years, both of my grandfathers were bald. I have thinning on my crown, but I'm not bald by a long way. Needless to say, 36 years of nonstop lifting hasn't hurt my hairline any. I have two brothers who have never touched a weight in their lives and we all have the same amount of hair. We have a cousin (our father's brother's son) who is bald, but his younger brother isn't, so who can really predict this stuff?
If you were to augment your workouts with supraphysiological doses of steroids, you might increase your chances of going bald if you are already genetically prone simply because raising test levels that high also dramatically raises DHT and estrogen. So avoiding steroids will lower your chances, but at your age, you have plenty of testosterone.
Hope that helps.

DragonRider

Back to top Go down

Weight training associated with male pattern baldness? Empty Re: Weight training associated with male pattern baldness?

Post  tonyj Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:46 am

DragonRider - Are your brothers involved in some form of sports activity, something they've done consistently since they were a children?
I'm kinda in the same situation, a 2 years younger than you. Both grandfathers went bald in their early thirties, my father went bald in his 40s (he was a heavy milk drinker in the family), but I still have my hair. besides genetics, heavy smoking is what they had in common. I always worked out in some form of activity or another, weightlifting, Martial Arts, Mountain Climbing, Backpacking, but I always wonder if consistent weightlifting and some form aerobic activity helped retain my hair.
tonyj
tonyj

Back to top Go down

Post  DragonRider Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:11 am

The only thing I've ever done is weightlifting. No other sports activities. My brothers are just your average run of the mill couch potatoes.

DragonRider

Back to top Go down

Post  tonyj Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:14 am

Arnold Schwarzenegger started weightlifting in his teens. I'd like to see if any of his Grandfather's had MPB.

I wonder if LDL has anything to do with MPB. Body builders with with the most muscle mass also had the higher levels of LDL. The required LDL to grow the muscle may leave little that slows blood flow or causes heat disease.

LDL Cholesterol Needed to Gain More Muscle Mass
tonyj
tonyj

Back to top Go down

Post  paranoidbone Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:09 am

Thanks everyone for their input!I have just heard so many people blame weight lifting for their mpb (my grandfather included), which has really influenced my routine. If I hadn't heard this relation then I strive for a muscular body.

paranoidbone

Back to top Go down

Post  paranoidbone Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:50 am

I am so confused. I read that aerobic exercise significantly increases testosterone (even moreso than weightlifting). Therefore, is exercise the enemy in regards to preserving hair? Clearly this is not the case because we are not meant to be sedentary creatures, unless baldness is a completely natural phenomenon (which i think it is). I do believe that baldness is attributed to weightlifting because of the image it conjures - one of masculinity.

paranoidbone

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:00 am

paranoidbone wrote:I am so confused. I read that aerobic exercise significantly increases testosterone (even moreso than weightlifting). Therefore, is exercise the enemy in regards to preserving hair? Clearly this is not the case because we are not meant to be sedentary creatures, unless baldness is a completely natural phenomenon (which i think it is). I do believe that baldness is attributed to weightlifting because of the image it conjures - one of masculinity.

Testosterone does not cause hair loss, that is a myth.

The actual cause of hair loss in my experience and research is whatever interferes with thyroid function.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  paranoidbone Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:27 am

Really?My understanding was that it was caused by a derivative of the male hormone but then again I am getting this information from my gp and various family members. Sorry if I am being a nuisance but what is then the major culprit as far as irregular thyroid function is concerned?Or is it a series of influences?

paranoidbone

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:06 am

paranoidbone wrote:Really? My understanding was that it was caused by a derivative of the male hormone but then again I am getting this information from my gp and various family members. Sorry if I am being a nuisance but what is then the major culprit as far as irregular thyroid function is concerned? Or is it a series of influences?

I think you asked a very important question, because at least 99% of physicians and/or lay people would assume it is the more potent variant of testosterone that's causing the problem.

In non-balding, a significant amount of DHT introduced to the scalp will have very little effect on their hair. This is because a key gene (DKK-1) is not unregulated in these people upon DHT administration.

There are other instigators of hair loss besides say DHT in those who are "hormone sensitive." These include cortisol, prolactin and various indirect causes.

Overall, thyroid function determine whether one is experiencing a systemic inflammatory state.

It's an important note that the primary diagnostic method to assess thyroid function (used since the 1970's) is not
an accurate way to measure the health of the thyroid.

The following will provide information on how the thyroid can go wrong.

http://healthyfixx.com/plan/6/fixxing-your-thyroid

Another quick point is that insulin resistance or at least a tendency to experience fluctuations in glucose levels is created or exacerbated by even a subtle thyroid problem.

Besides the thyroid, the other major factor is the tendency to produce an excess of corticotropin-releasing factor, which is a neuropeptide involved with stress response. This particular area is still being investigated however, there are a number of different approaches that can help address it.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  paranoidbone Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:20 am

Yes I have actually heard that hyperprolactinemia can be caused by hypothyroidism

paranoidbone

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down