Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Iodine supplements suck for hair loss? EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Iodine supplements suck for hair loss? EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Iodine supplements suck for hair loss? EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Iodine supplements suck for hair loss? EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Iodine supplements suck for hair loss? EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Iodine supplements suck for hair loss? EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Iodine supplements suck for hair loss? EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Iodine supplements suck for hair loss? EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Iodine supplements suck for hair loss? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Iodine supplements suck for hair loss?

+4
CausticSymmetry
MikeGore
LittleFighter
unfortunate
8 posters

Go down

Iodine supplements suck for hair loss? Empty Iodine supplements suck for hair loss?

Post  unfortunate Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:12 pm

I don't know if anyone has brought this article up, but I just came across this while reading about iodine deficiencies as related to hair loss...

http://www.dannyroddy.com/main/2010/10/25/iodine-supplements-suck-for-hair-loss-too.html

I was wondering what the experts think of this guy's reasoning? He also seems to call IH and other forums out by name...

Any truth to what he is saying?

unfortunate

Back to top Go down

Iodine supplements suck for hair loss? Empty Re: Iodine supplements suck for hair loss?

Post  LittleFighter Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:24 pm

I posted some information about iodine and auto immune diseases (not talking about the thyroid in here) and got 0 responses (that got me thinking mmm).

The thing is, Iodine boosts the killing power of the immune sytem. That's why the Jaminets from the PHD recommend it mainly after resolving some issues, and to go up slowly.
LittleFighter
LittleFighter

Back to top Go down

Iodine supplements suck for hair loss? Empty Re: Iodine supplements suck for hair loss?

Post  unfortunate Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:30 pm

LittleFighter wrote:I posted some information about iodine and auto immune diseases (not talking about the thyroid in here) and got 0 responses (that got me thinking mmm).

The thing is, Iodine boosts the killing power of the immune sytem. That's why the Jaminets from the PHD recommend it mainly after resolving some issues, and to go up slowly.

So are you saying Iodine could actually be detrimental since there is an autoimmune component to MPB? In other words, it actually could cause more damage? If so, what can we do to resolve the autoimmune problem first before supplementation?

unfortunate

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:41 pm

unfortunate wrote:
LittleFighter wrote:I posted some information about iodine and auto immune diseases (not talking about the thyroid in here) and got 0 responses (that got me thinking mmm).

So are you saying Iodine could actually be detrimental since there is an autoimmune component to MPB? In other words, it actually could cause more damage? If so, what can we do to resolve the autoimmune problem first before supplementation?

Unfortunate, it's hard for me to make a definitive statement, but I think there might be a possibility.

Even if there's a chance, Iodine is very important. It can be anti inflammatory and anti-oxdiant (if given in sufficient quantities).

So if there's a chance for it to aggravate auto immune diseases, I think you have plenty of options to reduce inflammation and resolve the auto-immune problem at the source (gut flora IMHO).

I think it might not be the best think to take if you have Lupus, in the case of MPB it might not be a problem, specially if you take all the compantion nutrients like selenium, magnesium, vitamin c, etc.
LittleFighter
LittleFighter

Back to top Go down

Post  unfortunate Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:13 pm

LittleFighter wrote:
unfortunate wrote:

Unfortunate, it's hard for me to make a definitive statement, but I think there might be a possibility.

Even if there's a chance, Iodine is very important. It can be anti inflammatory and anti-oxdiant (if given in sufficient quantities).

So if there's a chance for it to aggravate auto immune diseases, I think you have plenty of options to reduce inflammation and resolve the auto-immune problem at the source (gut flora IMHO).

I think it might not be the best think to take if you have Lupus, in the case of MPB it might not be a problem, specially if you take all the compantion nutrients like selenium, magnesium, vitamin c, etc.

Little Fighter,

Thanks for the quick response. It sucks that this all has to be so complicated, but the human body appears to be one of the most complex thing known to mankind - so I guess we just have to deal with it.

So as far as inflammation goes, to reduce it and avoid auto immune response, is there anything additional you would recommend taking? I am currently taking lugols with vitamin C, selenium and magnesium all at the recommended amounts. I am also taking the top 6 from ortho nutrition as well as brewers yeast for B vitamins. Anything else you think would really help counter the possibility of iodine aggravating the autoimmune response?

unfortunate

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeGore Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:49 pm

This is something I am concerned about as well, which is why I will probably supplement with iodine later. I was actually thinking would it be better to take things such as chlorella to detox as much as possible before starting iodine. Would this be a good idea to do before iodine supplementation and does chlorella also get rid of bromine, making the bromide detox symptoms less severe when we take iodine? Or can a bromine detox symptoms also present itself when using chlorella?

Also the articile mentions Hashimito diesase, is it suggesting that mpb sufferer may be also suffering from undiagnosed Hashimito disease?

MikeGore

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:28 pm

Iodine does not make thyroid situation worse. This is the opinion (without real proof I might add) that many have, because it is ingrained in medical school. Repeating for emphasis, iodine does not cause a thyroid problem. The devil is always in the details and most people on forums as we have probably gathered by now over simplify everything.

In fact, this scare tactic might be an act of intentional good will, but it's another misnomer, just like cholesterol and heart disease and other nonsense.

Towards the bottom of this thyroid discussion in this link, look for the information addressing iodine and autoimmune.

http://healthyfixx.com/plan/6/fixxing-your-thyroid

There are a few reasons why many physicians panic about iodine. First, it's their medical indoctrination, which is based on old rat studies which were not performed correctly, at least interpreted correctly.

First, I should explain that TSH is the marker that doctors use to assess thyroid function--the only problem is, it doesn't work!

However, doctors are trained to believe that a rising TSH means your thyroid is getting worse. This is inaccurate. Just last year a study proved what many critically thinking physicians knew all along, that TSH is not relevant most of the time. Nevertheless a rise in TSH with iodine occurs without symptoms anyway

Now, when you take therapeutic levels of iodine, which begins at least 100 times the RDA (rats drugs and assumptions amount), TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) rises. It rises in order to help transport iodide into thyrocytes, which are cells in the thyroid, required for the development of thyroid hormone synthesis. It gets a little bit more complicated than this, but suffice to say, anyone who tells you that iodine causes thyroid problems, they need to do more research.

Second of all, does iodine cause symptoms in some people? Oh yes, and it can be caused by one of two things. A) It can be caused by goitrogenic substances, such a bromine, which are being pulled out of the body. Remember that an autoimmune thyroid disease can only occur in an iodine deficient state. B) If there's a high load to mercury, that can also cause symptoms when iodine is used.

The solution for situation "B" is to back off of the iodine and detox the mercury and then add it back slowly.

Lastly, if anyone is paranoid still about this constantly reoccurring topic that won't die. Consider for a moment that over 35,000 patients have been tested per the iodine project between a group of physicians using high-dose iodine therapy. They have learned that iodine does not cause a thyroid problem, it's just the opposite.

Final note, besides an iodine deficiency problem, a major cause of an autoimmune thyroid problem is non-celiac wheat sensitivity. How does one determine that? Well, they either stop eating gluten completely and observe a fall in their antibody levels or they get a non-celiac wheat sensitivity test.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  unfortunate Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:14 pm

CausticSymmetry wrote:Iodine does not make thyroid situation worse. This is the opinion (without real proof I might add) that many have, because it is ingrained in medical school. Repeating for emphasis, iodine does not cause a thyroid problem. The devil is always in the details and most people on forums as we have probably gathered by now over simplify everything.

In fact, this scare tactic might be an act of intentional good will, but it's another misnomer, just like cholesterol and heart disease and other nonsense.

Towards the bottom of this thyroid discussion in this link, look for the information addressing iodine and autoimmune.

http://healthyfixx.com/plan/6/fixxing-your-thyroid

There are a few reasons why many physicians panic about iodine. First, it's their medical indoctrination, which is based on old rat studies which were not performed correctly, at least interpreted correctly.

First, I should explain that TSH is the marker that doctors use to assess thyroid function--the only problem is, it doesn't work!

However, doctors are trained to believe that a rising TSH means your thyroid is getting worse. This is inaccurate. Just last year a study proved what many critically thinking physicians knew all along, that TSH is not relevant most of the time. Nevertheless a rise in TSH with iodine occurs without symptoms anyway

Now, when you take therapeutic levels of iodine, which begins at least 100 times the RDA (rats drugs and assumptions amount), TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) rises. It rises in order to help transport iodide into thyrocytes, which are cells in the thyroid, required for the development of thyroid hormone synthesis. It gets a little bit more complicated than this, but suffice to say, anyone who tells you that iodine causes thyroid problems, they need to do more research.

Second of all, does iodine cause symptoms in some people? Oh yes, and it can be caused by one of two things. A) It can be caused by goitrogenic substances, such a bromine, which are being pulled out of the body. Remember that an autoimmune thyroid disease can only occur in an iodine deficient state. B) If there's a high load to mercury, that can also cause symptoms when iodine is used.

The solution for situation "B" is to back off of the iodine and detox the mercury and then add it back slowly.

Lastly, if anyone is paranoid still about this constantly reoccurring topic that won't die. Consider for a moment that over 35,000 patients have been tested per the iodine project between a group of physicians using high-dose iodine therapy. They have learned that iodine does not cause a thyroid problem, it's just the opposite.

Final note, besides an iodine deficiency problem, a major cause of an autoimmune thyroid problem is non-celiac wheat sensitivity. How does one determine that? Well, they either stop eating gluten completely and observe a fall in their antibody levels or they get a non-celiac wheat sensitivity test.

Thanks for clarifying that for all of us. I didn't realize this had been brought up so many times on the board, but I am glad to read your explanation. I am sure a lot of people are just a bit edgy or curious about the topic because it seems like many are saying the opposite is true and it naturally strikes fear in some of us or at the very least overlapping questions regarding the issue.

Either way, if detox symptoms do arise due to bromine and/or mercury release, shouldn't they eventually dissipate on their own as over time eliminated from the body with continued iodine supplemenation? And if so, how long should the detox reaction last, assuming the diet has been cleaned and offending dietary culprits such as gluten have been removed?

unfortunate

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeGore Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:13 am

Thanks for clearing that up.

Call me too cautious but it seems to me that a heavy metal detox prior to iodine supplementation seems reasonable. My question is would something like chlorella also get rid of bromine, or would that only be cleared if it is pulled out by iodine. Basically does chlorella also "pull them out" and neutralize them or only neutralize ones that are circulating in the body?

MikeGore

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:50 am

MikeGore - Chlorella will not remove bromide, but salt loading will. It's explained here in step 2:

http://healthyfixx.com/plan/5/heavy-metal-detox

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Biffy Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:32 am

Does daily salt loading/consuming of salt with water interfere with efficacy of iodine? I don't have detox symptoms I just want to drink Himalayan salt for health purposes, but also want to get full effect of my Iosol.

I am asking because I read that Salt (Sodium Chloride) does not allow full absorption of Iodine in your body.

Thanks for you help.

Biffy

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:33 am

Biffy wrote:Does daily salt loading/consuming of salt with water interfere with efficacy of iodine? I don't have detox symptoms I just want to drink Himalayan salt for health purposes, but also want to get full effect of my Iosol.

I am asking because I read that Salt (Sodium Chloride) does not allow full absorption of Iodine in your body.

Thanks for you help.

Salt loading allows toxic halides, such as bromide to be removed. 100% of people tested have toxic levels. Bromide interferes with iodine uptake. Also, those initial sides that some will get upon taking iodine in higher doses for the first few weeks receive them because of the effect of removing bromide from the body (bromidism).

Adding more weight to this, various salts (sodium, potassium, chloride and magnesium) are good to build the adrenal glands, something also important when it comes to thyroid balance. Iodine feeds all the glands and cells.

Iosol will work better with salt loading.

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  droddy Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:42 am

For the record that article was written 3+ years ago.
droddy
droddy

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:52 am

Iodine works. And it does for more than just the thyroid.

Gut flora is the key to tolerance, and the key to restoring the flora of the scalp and other tissues. There are studies and patents that prove this.

The fact that this was posted years ago, MEANS NOTHING.

Peat still has to learn. Avoid fiber, but drink a lot of milk (which promotes vigorous fermentation and gut flora!).... pff
LittleFighter
LittleFighter

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:17 pm

One of the things I've never adhered to in Peat's views are his food choices. I really admire and believe in a lot of his conclusions, but the food choice does matter and that is one place where Peat isn't as water-tight. Yes orange juice and milk might be good sources of carbohydrate, but I'd agree that we have to look at it from multiple angles. Peat tends to look at carbohydrate from a cellular level, at the biochemistry of their metabolism. He doesn't focus as much on things like the gut microbiota which does make a HUGE impact on the way we handle carbs on a macro level. Some people tolerate orange juice and milk, but you can't make those kind of sweeping food recommendations even though its convenient to do so. Fermentable mono- and disaccharides are great if you can digest them, but depending on the actual size of the paracellular pores in the intestine some can't, and if that's you then eating a bunch of these is going to throw a damn buffet at your gut bacteria.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  Zaphod Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:46 pm

I am one of those guys who drinks orange juice regularly, but avoid processed milk in great radius. If i don't, not so good things start to happening in my gut. Whole another thing is with raw, grass fed milk and/or home made probiotics. What about sugar? Sugar has not any ''depends on context'' for me, it's simply destroying me. And this even with theory suggests different scenarium, with porphyria and similar issues i am bothering about lately. Fruit sugar - the one with protection is one i feel consume with no adverse effects. Beside it, i've posted a few articles that suggest problems for liver while consuming high fructose diet. Would like to read a few cents of yours on it, droddy in case i would wish to stop my juicing, and add something different to my diet instead.

For the iodine part, i wish i'd read the iodine/thyroid article more than 3 years ago...

Zaphod

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:52 am

I've been researching Orange Juice and bioflavonoids for a few months.

Actually the benefit MAINLY (and as research states) comes from the anti inflammatory flavonoids (not fructose).

They prevent rise of LPS, blood sugar, ROS, etc and other changes from eating, through direct antioxidant and gene regulation effects.

If someone wants to rise their LPS levels, lactic acid, gas, inflammation, dandruff, etc, drink a lot of milk in the wrong gut environment.

BTW, I recently made some huge progress in my research on how to fix and improve the gut environment. Hopefully I will post some info one of these days-
LittleFighter
LittleFighter

Back to top Go down

Iodine supplements suck for hair loss? Empty Milk & Fructose

Post  CausticSymmetry Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:16 am

I thought I'd change the title of this thread to redirect it in the last few paragraphs.

I'm personally a fan of fructose, only because it happens to work for my body. My specific enterotype (gut flora type) likes it.

For those who can handle fructose, more human research continues to prove that Dr. Mercola's crusade against fructose is wrong. His team of experts extrapolates rat research suggesting it's bad for us.

The latest on fructose is that it's only bad if those additional calories are not properly metabolized. That would suggest that either it is not suitable for the enterotype or, it is not in the right format (nutritional context).

Pasteurized milk seems to contribute to a poor milieu vs the grass-fed, raw variety. I tell everyone not to risk taking the cooked stuff.

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Zaphod Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:06 pm

CS, wish you to comment also semi grass fed raw milk. The ''semi'' means majority of cattle food is from grass products, but some foot additions exists and are corn silage, wheat, barley (all only in winter time); all non GMO, of course. How would drinking such milk work for those with no grain sensitivity as non gluten sensitivity. Wonder if is safe to suggest such milk to them.

I stopped drink raw milk since is winter time and added products might not work well for me...Switched to some almond's and coconut milk.

And also a question about raw, unprocessed yet liquid colostrum - straight from the source, from the same source. I wonder if its safe to consume such products or there are some cautions as well.

I guess in Europe ''grain fed'' might not be as bad as in US due GMO, am i wrong? We, so far, are GMO free as it's not allowed to buy such seeds, nor are promoted for the farmers. This might change...

Tnx.

Zaphod

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:51 am

Beebrox - When buying colostrum in liquid form from the store...a lot of that stuff is not full colostrum (it is often a mix/transitional milk).

How the cows are fed pasture, whether it is year-round or not of course depends on the supplier and their location. So, it's a case by case basis.

It's certainly better to buy during the summer when in doubt.

Having no GMO, no antibiotics as long as they are mostly grass-fed.

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Zaphod Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:30 pm

CausticSymmetry wrote:Beebrox - When buying colostrum in liquid form from the store...a lot of that stuff is not full colostrum (it is often a mix/transitional milk).

How the cows are fed pasture, whether it is year-round or not of course depends on the supplier and their location. So, it's a case by case basis.

It's certainly better to buy during the summer when in doubt.

Having no GMO, no antibiotics as long as they are mostly grass-fed.

You understood me a bit different than i had thought.

Buying colostrum would be straight from the source  - farmer/cow. At the moment i am not interested in fresh colostrum due grains, but the farmer is willing to give me frozen batch from October, when grass was the only food the cattle ate. Do you think freezing destroys/decays the immunoglobulins, transforming growth factors beta, oligosacharides, etc. in it as well? The farmer is ''the only one'' i am having conversations with as it's not providing milk for dairy houses and this already means a lot in this place. He rather focus on selling it raw. Grains are my only concern, really. I've seen dozen of his certificates and negative tests for common pathogens, antibiotics and hormones, including certificate for organic food (non GMO, no pesticides, fungicides, etc...) what applies also for the food cattle eats. Tests are being made regularly, and nobody is behaving like it's worth losing the reputation.

According to site below the only milk we should be only interested is milk the day after the calving and a few days afterwards. How this colostrum is processed anyway to get it into capsules? I am sure heat does the damage very fast...

Iodine supplements suck for hair loss? ColostrumGraph
http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/raw-medicine.html

Zaphod

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:36 pm

It's usually freeze dried (the stuff put into the capsules). There'a variety of "6-hour colostrum."

Yes you're right, I assumed you meant liquid colostrum sold at stores.

There are some techniques to preserve the integrity with destruction of the nutrients, but I know nothing about
the process.

FWIW, I understand there is some degradation when it is frozen, but how much I don't know.

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Zaphod Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:51 pm

Tnx CS.

Back to fructose, Peat and iodine.

I am sure not everybody is the same, but wishing to know myself better - this is what i concern:

Dr. Abdelmalek concludes, "High fructose consumption and elevated levels of uric acid are associated with more severe depletion of liver ATP. Our findings suggest that increased dietary fructose intake may impair liver "energy balance." Further research to define the clinical implications of these findings on metabolism and NAFLD is necessary." The authors highlight the importance of public awareness of the risks associated with a diet high in fructose.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/09/120913104121.htm

Zaphod

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:46 am

I think it comes down to uric acid sensitivity (subject to hyperuricemia).

Flavonoids such as Quercetin can protect against the effects of uric acid elevation from fructose consumption. This is often found in the fruits that contain fructose. However, there are some who are sensitive to hyperuricemia. Still, things like cherry juice can help these people, which does contain fructose.

http://ajprenal.physiology.org/content/297/4/F1080

Here's a good article explaining how those sensitive to uric acid can be have an increased risk of attack by orange juice.

http://www.naturalmedicinejournal.com/article_content.asp?article=227

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:30 pm

It might sound too simple but with fructose I think it really comes down to how much how fast. There is no doubt the human body is fully capable of utilizing fructose, and the pathways are actually less metabolically costly than glucose, one reason why too much too fast can be a problem. I'd liken it to a more efficient fuel. Since its more efficient, you need less of it per unit time to get the same output.

If the body requires carbohydrate, i.e. after a workout, I think fructose is amazing. But if you are glycogen replete, the efficiency with which fructose is metabolized causes it to form lipid products too quickly: fatty liver and increased fat all-around.

With fructose its just a matter of knowing when your body needs it, and equally recognizing when you don't.

Not to mention the vehicle is important. Eating a couple of oranges is different than pounding a large soda from McDonalds. With fruit, by the time you have your fill, you are probably getting 15-25 g of fructose (assuming you aren't downing a whole bag of oranges). With something like soda and these other "fortified" juices they're feeding kids, its nothing to get 40-60 g of sugar (half being fructose). A 12 oz can of pop has around 40 g HFCS, a 24 oz pop from a fast food joint puts you at 80 in one sitting. And the thing is, those foods are not going to trigger your satiation response so you don't recognize you've taken in more than enough energy, until you've also eaten a pound of food too.

Fruit is optimal because it also contains fiber to slow the absorption, and antioxidants to offset the sugar metabolism. In the gut, paracellular pore size seems to be the limiting factor for how much fructose you can absorb at one time. Get more than you need, and you are just feeding gut bacteria too. Not bad all the time, but if you are funneling sugar down the chute all day long, you are asking for overgrowth.

People should start treating their bodies like a car. Recognize how big your tank is and also when it is empty. You don't fill your gas tank when it doesn't need it, and you certainly don't put in more fuel than it can hold. Sugar has to stop being a pleasure source, and viewed more as a high octane fuel (most of the time, sometimes I'm going to stuff my face with bad stuff, eating right the rest of the time allows us to do this)
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down