Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Curcumin/Resveratrol Immunosuppression EmptyYesterday at 11:16 am by CausticSymmetry

» zombie cells
Curcumin/Resveratrol Immunosuppression EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Curcumin/Resveratrol Immunosuppression EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Curcumin/Resveratrol Immunosuppression EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Curcumin/Resveratrol Immunosuppression EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Curcumin/Resveratrol Immunosuppression EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Curcumin/Resveratrol Immunosuppression EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Curcumin/Resveratrol Immunosuppression EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Curcumin/Resveratrol Immunosuppression EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Curcumin/Resveratrol Immunosuppression

+4
LittleFighter
gutted
teacup
mphatesmpb
8 posters

Go down

Curcumin/Resveratrol Immunosuppression Empty Curcumin/Resveratrol Immunosuppression

Post  mphatesmpb Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:48 am

I'm not sure what the consensus is on immunosuppression, but here's the abstract of a study showing that the curcumin/resveratrol combination might cause immunosuppression. This is interesting because several studies have shown that there is an auto-immune component in MPB...researchers believe that microbial colonization of the follicular infundibulum by transient skin flora might result in an inflammatory infiltrate of lymphocytes accumulating around the hair follicles (see thread: https://immortalhair.forumotion.com/t5447-cutaneous-immunopathology-of-androgenetic-alopecia).

Recently I've been applying an aqueous solution of garlic/onion to my scalp every night, as I believe that this will kill the problematic bacteria which might be colonizing the hair follicles.

Abstract:

Resveratrol and curcumin suppress immune response through CD28/CTLA-4 and CD80 co-stimulatory pathway
S Sharma,* K Chopra,* S K Kulkarni,* and J N Agrewala†
†Immunology Laboratory, Institute of Microbial Technology, Chandigarh, India
*Pharmacology Division, University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Panjab University, Chandigarh, India
Correspondence: Dr Javed N. Agrewala, Immunology Laboratory, Institute of Microbial Technology, Sector-39 A, Chandigarh-160036, India. E-mail: javed@imtech.res.in
Accepted October 16, 2006.

Abstract
The role of resveratrol and curcumin is well documented in cancer, inflammation, diabetes and various other diseases. However, their immunosuppressive action on T cells, B cells and macrophages is not well documented. In the present study, we have ascertained the effect of resveratrol and curcumin on T and B cells and macrophages. The most striking findings were that both resveratrol and curcumin suppressed the activity of T and B cells and macrophages, as evidenced by significant inhibition in proliferation, antibody production and lymphokine secretion. Interestingly, curcumin imparted immunosuppression by mainly down-regulating the expression of CD28 and CD80 and up-regulating CTLA-4. Resveratrol also functioned by decreasing the expression of CD28 and CD80, as well as by augmenting the production of interleukin (IL)-10.
Keywords: CD28, CD40, CD80, CTLA-4, curcumin, IL-10, resveratrol

Introduction
A faulty immune response plays a pathogenic role in a wide spectrum of inflammatory diseases, including hypersensitivity responses to environmental antigens (allergic disorders), false recognition of self-antigen (autoimmune diseases) and immune attack against alloantigens during transplantation [1,2]. Hence, it becomes crucial to suppress the immune system to control the damage done to the self-tissues. Even though several immunosuppressive drugs are available, their mechanism of action is still not known precisely.
Change in the expression of co-stimulatory molecules, secretion of cytokines and frequency of regulatory T cells can influence the outcome of many diseases. Modulation of the expression of CD28/CTLA-4 can augment or antagonize T cell receptor signalling, and interleukin (IL)-10 is known to restrain the immune responses [3–7].
Resveratrol, present in red grapes, and curcumin in turmeric, suppress the growth of tumour cell lines, induce apoptosis and have potent anti-oxidant properties [8–13]. Because little is known about the mechanism of action of these drugs on the immune system [8,10,13], in the present study we have studied thoroughly the role of curcumin and resveratrol on lymphocyte proliferation and demonstrated for the first time that both these drugs suppress the immune system by controlling mainly the expression of CD28/CTLA-4 and CD80 co-stimulatory molecules.

Somehow, systemic immunosuppression sound like a great idea.
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Curcumin/Resveratrol Immunosuppression Empty Re: Curcumin/Resveratrol Immunosuppression

Post  teacup Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:06 am

I'd want to strengthen my immune system not suppress it.
teacup
teacup

Back to top Go down

Curcumin/Resveratrol Immunosuppression Empty Re: Curcumin/Resveratrol Immunosuppression

Post  gutted Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:17 am

mphatesmpb wrote:I'm not sure what the consensus is on immunosuppression, but here's the abstract of a study showing that the curcumin/resveratrol combination might cause immunosuppression. This is interesting because several studies have shown that there is an auto-immune component in MPB...researchers believe that microbial colonization of the follicular infundibulum by transient skin flora might result in an inflammatory infiltrate of lymphocytes accumulating around the hair follicles (see thread: https://immortalhair.forumotion.com/t5447-cutaneous-immunopathology-of-androgenetic-alopecia).

Recently I've been applying an aqueous solution of garlic/onion to my scalp every night, as I believe that this will kill the problematic bacteria which might be colonizing the hair follicles.

Abstract:

Resveratrol and curcumin suppress immune response through CD28/CTLA-4 and CD80 co-stimulatory pathway
*Pharmacology Division, University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Panjab University, Chandigarh, India
Correspondence: Dr Javed N. Agrewala, Immunology Laboratory, Institute of Microbial Technology, Sector-39 A, Chandigarh-160036, India. E-mail: javed@imtech.res.in

Abstract
The role of resveratrol and curcumin is well documented in cancer, inflammation, diabetes and various other diseases. However, their immunosuppressive action on T cells, B cells and macrophages is not well documented. In the present study, we have ascertained the effect of resveratrol and curcumin on T and B cells and macrophages. The most striking findings were that both resveratrol and curcumin suppressed the activity of T and B cells and macrophages, as evidenced by significant inhibition in proliferation, antibody production and lymphokine secretion. Interestingly, curcumin imparted immunosuppression by mainly down-regulating the expression of CD28 and CD80 and up-regulating CTLA-4. Resveratrol also functioned by decreasing the expression of CD28 and CD80, as well as by augmenting the production of interleukin (IL)-10.

Introduction
A faulty immune response plays a pathogenic role in a wide spectrum of inflammatory diseases, including hypersensitivity responses to environmental antigens (allergic disorders), false recognition of self-antigen (autoimmune diseases) and immune attack against alloantigens during transplantation [1,2]. Hence, it becomes crucial to suppress the immune system to control the damage done to the self-tissues. Even though several immunosuppressive drugs are available, their mechanism of action is still not known precisely.
Change in the expression of co-stimulatory molecules, secretion of cytokines and frequency of regulatory T cells can influence the outcome of many diseases. Modulation of the expression of CD28/CTLA-4 can augment or antagonize T cell receptor signalling, and interleukin (IL)-10 is known to restrain the immune responses [3–7].
Resveratrol, present in red grapes, and curcumin in turmeric, suppress the growth of tumour cell lines, induce apoptosis and have potent anti-oxidant properties [8–13]. Because little is known about the mechanism of action of these drugs on the immune system [8,10,13], in the present study we have studied thoroughly the role of curcumin and resveratrol on lymphocyte proliferation and demonstrated for the first time that both these drugs suppress the immune system by controlling mainly the expression of CD28/CTLA-4 and CD80 co-stimulatory molecules.

one thing which i noted when i was eating 1 piece of garlic a day a couple of months back, my head stopped itching and dandruff was low and the greasiness was also low, until i stopped!

gutted

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:29 am

gutted wrote:
mphatesmpb wrote:I'm not sure what the consensus is on immunosuppression, but here's the abstract of a study showing that the curcumin/resveratrol combination might cause immunosuppression. This is interesting because several studies have shown that there is an auto-immune component in MPB...researchers believe that microbial colonization of the follicular infundibulum by transient skin flora might result in an inflammatory infiltrate of lymphocytes accumulating around the hair follicles (see thread: https://immortalhair.forumotion.com/t5447-cutaneous-immunopathology-of-androgenetic-alopecia).

Abstract:

Abstract

Introduction

one thing which i noted when i was eating 1 piece of garlic a day a couple of months back, my head stopped itching and dandruff was low and the greasiness was also low, until i stopped!

Yes that works. Basically because you're impacting the gut flora and consequently your skin flora and different processes of the body.

I think mphat is on the right path and giving the most useful info/ideas these days. Some internal support, which is more important and fundamental, would be the perfect addition to this, e.g. garlic and specific probiotics, biofilm busters, clay, etc.
LittleFighter
LittleFighter

Back to top Go down

Post  pancacke Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:37 am

Candida is associated with dandruff and garlic is a natural antibiotic, my guess is it kept the yeast at bay for the time you took it.

pancacke

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:13 am

pancacke wrote:
Candida is associated with dandruff and garlic is a natural antibiotic, my guess is it kept the yeast at bay for the time you took it.

Exactly what I'm saying. Just wouldn't say it's just Candida, there're hundreds of bacteria that can potentially wreck your immune system, leaving you vulnerable to the attack of yeasts responsible for dandruff (which technically are not Candida).

BTW, Candida produces some proteases that destroy SIgA and cause other problems.

In the case of garlic, maybe there's also a systemic effect... don't know. BTW Garlic inhibits biofilms by blocking quorum sensing.
LittleFighter
LittleFighter

Back to top Go down

Post  tooyoung Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:52 am

I'm confused, wouldn't this mean curcumin and resveratrol are doing a bad thing?

tooyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:10 am

tooyoung,
I'm confused too. In my original post, I'd meant to say "Somehow, systemic immunosuppression doesn't sound like a great idea." The abstract does state that many diseases are caused by a faulty immune response, though. It could be the case that chronic inflammation of the hair follicles is some sort of overreaction on the part of the immune system, but that conclusion seems like wishful thinking to me.

We hear the word 'anti-inflammatory' thrown around a lot on these health forums. Usually, 'inflammation' is considered to be a bad thing. Technically, though, inflammation is actually just the immune system's response to infection or tissue damage. As I understand it, an anti-inflammatory agent (by definition) can either hinder the immune response directly (which is bad, I assume), or it can prevent the infection/tissue-damage and thereby prevent the immune response (this is good).

I hope (and think) that the curcumin/resveratrol combination does the latter.
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  tooyoung Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:20 am

Yeah I thought you had meant to say it doesn't sound good.

CS, any input? Off the top of my head I think I remember you saying something like curcumin/resv are immune modulating rather than supressing, so they would be safe to take? Do you think their anti inflammitory properties are all positive?

tooyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:34 am

Pathogens, at least in certain cases, create inflammation because they need it to expand. If we suppress the inflammation they cause, not only we stop the destruction of our body but also their spreading. I gave an example from a study in another thread I believe. At least this is true to some degree.

No, Curcumin and Resveratrol are not a problem, unlike the brutal shut down of the immune system by drugs.

Besides these substances work in different ways, including at the gene level.

Some probiotics are said to boost the immune system WITHOUT causing inflammation, for instance B. Lactis HN0019.
LittleFighter
LittleFighter

Back to top Go down

Post  abc123 Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:36 pm

abc123

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:04 am

tooyoung wrote:Yeah I thought you had meant to say it doesn't sound good.

CS, any input? Off the top of my head I think I remember you saying something like curcumin/resv are immune modulating rather than supressing, so they would be safe to take? Do you think their anti inflammitory properties are all positive?

If I had a dollar or a British Pound for every time this question was asked, I would not be rich, but I'd have enough to buy dinner for two at very nice restaurant.

I second LittleFighter, and thanks to abc123 for finding one of the older threads.

One of the ways these plant substances work is by how they interact with the micro flora. The human body
works nothing like a mechanical machine that has off and on switches. It's enormously complex, and because
there are several hundreds, if not thousands of research papers already on these substances, conditions such as
cancer would thrive with a suppressed immune system.

Would worry more about drugs, which only destroy enzymes and block pathways.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down