Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Iron depletion more effective than diet in reducing insulin levels EmptyToday at 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Iron depletion more effective than diet in reducing insulin levels EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Iron depletion more effective than diet in reducing insulin levels EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Iron depletion more effective than diet in reducing insulin levels EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Iron depletion more effective than diet in reducing insulin levels EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Iron depletion more effective than diet in reducing insulin levels EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Iron depletion more effective than diet in reducing insulin levels EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Iron depletion more effective than diet in reducing insulin levels EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Iron depletion more effective than diet in reducing insulin levels EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Iron depletion more effective than diet in reducing insulin levels

+3
zerx
CausticSymmetry
Espio
7 posters

Go down

Iron depletion more effective than diet in reducing insulin levels Empty Iron depletion more effective than diet in reducing insulin levels

Post  Espio Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:29 pm

According to this study: one group was given phlebotomy (to reduce iron), and another group was given nutritional counseling, both with the goal of reducing insulin levels. The group that did the iron depletion had a much greater improvement to insulin resistance than the diet group. I think what this means for us is that we need to not worry so much about sugars and grains, we need to worry about red meat and other foods with high iron content if we want to keep our hair.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17391316

OBJECTIVES: Hyperferritinemia is frequently observed in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), the hepatic manifestation of the metabolic syndrome characterized by hepatic insulin resistance and considered high cardiovascular risk. Iron depletion by phlebotomy has been reported to decrease insulin resistance in NAFLD in small, uncontrolled studies. Aims of this study were to define the relationship between ferritin and iron stores in patients with NAFLD, the effect of iron depletion on insulin resistance, and whether basal ferritin levels influence treatment outcome. METHODS: Subjects were included if ferritin and/or ALT were persistently elevated after 4 months of standard therapy. Sixty-four phlebotomized subjects were matched 1:1 for age, sex, ferritin, obesity, and ALT levels with patients who underwent lifestyle modifications only. Insulin resistance was evaluated by insulin levels, determined by RIA and the HOMA-R index, at baseline and after 8 months. RESULTS: Baseline ferritin levels were associated with body iron stores (P<0.0001). Iron depletion produced a significantly larger decrease in insulin resistance (P=0.0016 for insulin, P=0.0042 for HOMA-R) compared with nutritional counseling alone, independent of changes in BMI, baseline HOMA-R, and the presence of the metabolic syndrome. Iron depletion was more effective in reducing HOMA-R in patients in the top two tertiles of ferritin concentrations (P<0.05 vs controls), and in carriers of the mutations in the HFE gene of hereditary hemochromatosis (P<0.05 vs noncarriers). CONCLUSIONS: Given that phlebotomy reduces insulin resistance, which is associated with liver tissue damage, future studies should evaluate the effect of iron depletion on liver histology and cardiovascular end points.

Espio

Back to top Go down

Iron depletion more effective than diet in reducing insulin levels Empty Re: Iron depletion more effective than diet in reducing insulin levels

Post  CausticSymmetry Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:46 pm

Espio - Great info here. I won't give up red meat, but I will start increasing my use of IP6 (Insositol hexaphosphate).
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Iron depletion more effective than diet in reducing insulin levels Empty Re: Iron depletion more effective than diet in reducing insulin levels

Post  zerx Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:50 pm

This is amazing info and timely too since I just recently started using IP6 myself. On iherb and elsewhere there are several reviews mentioning IP6's effectiveness against most forms of cancer.
IH - since you have been using IP6 for a while now, how do you use it that you believe offers the best results? The main issues for me are that it apparently has to be taken about 3 hours since one's last meal and 30-60 mins before the next one. Also the fact that one hour after taking the IP6 I worry that whatever supplements I take with that meal might get chelated out just like the iron.

zerx

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:28 pm

zerx - The only time I take IP6 is at nighttime, well after any meals and/or supplements.

One of the reasons I want to keep eating beef (besides the taste) is to get the benefits of carnosine in the diet.

J Agric Food Chem. 2005 Jun 15;53(12):4736-9.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15941308
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Espio Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:25 pm

From my experience, taking IP6 alone does not do much for lowering iron. I haven't seen any studies that show that it is effective in reducing iron, have you? I asked my Dr. at the university and he never heard of IP6, the only way he knew of lowering iron was by donating blood.

I had taken over 200 capsuls of 500 mg each of Jarrow's IP6 in the two months before I took a ferritin blood test, and it was still high (160). Dr. Mercola's website advises getting your ferritin under 100. So that leaves two possibilities, either IP6 does not do much to lower iron, or my iron levels must of had a high iron overload before I started taking the IP6. I don't believe it could have been the latter because if I had an iron overload I would of seen poor liver functioning in previous blood tests due to iron overload.

Espio

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:29 pm

Espio - I took a long look at this and I can't find any supporting evidence that IP6 works to remove iron. The only thing I could find is that it improves the oxygenation of hemoglobin. Additionally, IP6 is very promising in studies as an anti-cancer agent. Perhaps Bill Sardi, the most well known supporter of IP6 was right about IP6 and cancer, but wrong on the iron chelating factor.

Here is more evidence of protection from IP6: Perhaps the "iron chelating" isn't the key, maybe it is protection from high iron instead.

Toxicology. 2008 Mar 12;245(1-2):101-8. Epub 2007 Dec 27.
Neuroprotective effect of the natural iron chelator, phytic acid in a cell culture model of Parkinson's disease.
Xu Q, Kanthasamy AG, Reddy MB.

Department of Biomedical Sciences, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, United States.

Disrupted iron metabolism and excess iron accumulation has been reported in the brains of Parkinson's disease (PD) patients. Because excessive iron can induce oxidative stress subsequently causing degradation of nigral dopaminergic neurons in PD, we determined the protective effect of a naturally occurring iron chelator, phytic acid (IP6), on 1-methyl-4-phenylpyridinium (MPP(+))-induced cell death in immortalized rat mesencephalic/dopaminergic cells. Cell death was induced with MPP(+) in normal and iron-excess conditions and cytotoxicity was measured by thiazolyl blue tetrazolium bromide (MTT assay) and trypan blue staining. Apoptotic cell death was also measured with caspase-3 activity, DNA fragmentation, and Hoechst nuclear staining. Compared to MPP(+) treatment, IP6 (30 micromol/L) increased cell viability by 19% (P<0.05) and decreased cell death by 22% (P<0.05). A threefold increase in caspase-3 activity (P<0.001) and a twofold increase in DNA fragmentation (P<0.05) with MPP(+) treatment was decreased by 55% (P<0.01) and 52% (P<0.05), respectively with IP6. Cell survival was increased by 18% (P<0.05) and 42% (P<0.001) with 30 and 100 micromol/L of IP6, respectively in iron-excess conditions. A 40% and 52% (P<0.001) protection was observed in caspase-3 activity with 30 and 100 micromol/L IP6, respectively in iron-excess condition. Similarly, a 45% reduction (P<0.001) in DNA fragmentation was found with 100 micromol/L IP6. In addition, Hoechst nuclear staining results confirmed the protective effect of IP6 against apoptosis. Similar protection was also observed with the differentiated cells. Collectively, our results demonstrate a significant neuroprotective effect of phytate in a cell culture model of PD.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  zerx Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:22 pm

Thats well and good IH but what what of all those reviews with people mentioning how their iron levels went down. I was really into IP6 for its iron chelating properties and I hope that is still true.

zerx

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:01 pm

zerx - Me too, I hope it does work. One thing is for sure, it's definitely good against cancer and Candida, and increases oxygen in the blood, so that is all very positive. Also, it does protect against high iron damage. Hopefully one of us will find some supporting researching on its chelating activities.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sublime9 Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:09 am

CausticSymmetry wrote:Espio - Great info here. I won't give up red meat, but I will start increasing my use of IP6 (Insositol hexaphosphate).

Cross over to the veggie-side with me IH.

:p

sublime9

Back to top Go down

Post  Espio Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:14 am

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/abstract/128/11/1950

Phytic Acid Inhibits Free Radical Formation In Vitro but Does Not Affect Liver Oxidant or Antioxidant Status in Growing Rats

Manuscript received 8 April 1998. Initial reviews completed 21 May 1998. Revision accepted 30 June 1998.

Gerald Rimbach and Josef Pallauf
Institute of Animal Nutrition and Nutrition Physiology, Justus-Liebig-University, D-35390 Giessen, Germany

The objective of this study was to determine the effects of phytic acid on free radical generation in vitro and in growing rats. Electron spin resonance spectroscopy studies using 5,5-dimethyl-1-pyrroline-N-oxide (DMPO) as a spin trap indicate a complete inhibition of hydroxyl radical formation via the iron-catalyzed Fenton reaction at molar phytic acid/iron ratios >5. However, phytic acid had no scavenging effect on superoxide radicals generated in the xanthine/xanthine oxidase reaction. For the in vivo study, male growing albino rats were fed purified diets based on casein, cornstarch and vitamin E-stripped corn oil differing in the concentration of iron (30 or 300 mg/kg), phytic acid (0 or 10 g/kg) and dl--tocopheryl acetate (0 or 50 mg/kg). At marginal dietary iron supply, phytic acid supplementation reduced apparent Fe absorption, thereby decreasing liver Fe concentration. Dietary iron and phytate had no effect on the level of hepatic -tocopherol, reduced glutathione, thiobarbituric acid-reactive substances and protein carbonyls. The concentration of thiobarbituric acid-reactive substances and protein carbonyls in the liver decreased as dietary vitamin E was increased from 0 to 50 mg/kg diet. The results obtained provide evidence for antioxidant properties of phytic acid under in vitro conditions. However, neither phytic acid nor iron had any significant effect on liver oxidant or antioxidant status in vivo in growing rats.

Espio

Back to top Go down

Post  Project: JS Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:35 pm

IH - probably a silly question but I couldnt find a clear answer on this. Would taking a humifulvate product, like say Swansons Metal Shield be helpful in reducing iron levels? I know iron isnt a true "heavy metal", but i wonder if this product would still be helpful in reducing it.

You probably know which one I am refering to since you have recommended it in the past, but here is the link to what Im talking about. Dr. Laszlo Meszaros' Metal Shield - http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWU420/ItemDetail#

Anyone else take/know about this btw?

Project: JS

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:49 am

roject: JS - humifulvate does not to bind iron, but in fact actually supplies some iron. So unfortunately, it won't us any good with respect to iron.

However, any of us who are using Lipoic acid are getting protection from iron. Here is a good article on its role in inflammation and Atherosclerosis.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/ss03/lipoicacid.html
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Project: JS Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:01 am

Thank you IH.. Thats good information. And great article btw. Its kind of amazing how helpful a supplement ALA is - on multiple levels even..

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:50 pm

Project: JS - I totally agree. I first learned about Lipoic acid in '95 and at the time it was quite expensive. I remember seeing Jarrow having a 60 capsule count of 100 mg regular alpha lipoic acid for 30 bucks. These days one can buy 240 capsules of 100 mg ALA for 8 bucks.

Of course I take the N-Rala form. But in any form I think it's the most important antioxidant to take and a way to engender life extension and most diseases of oxidative stress.

On a side note, there is a new breakthrough in COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) that I should mention, because this is a disease where not even lipoic acid would make much of a dent in.

The breakthrough is using the ingredient sulphoraphane. This comes from the cruficerious vegetables like Broccoli, Cabbage, etc. The latest research shows this can actually reverse COPD, so if anyone knows of relatives with this problem, there is real hope here.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Project: JS Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:13 pm

IH - hope for the future.. thats outstanding. I love how everytime I come on here Im finding out new good treatment options for serious diseases. Thank you.

Back to top Go down

Iron depletion more effective than diet in reducing insulin levels Empty tea time

Post  gregslater Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:12 pm

CausticSymmetry wrote:
The breakthrough is using the ingredient sulphoraphane. This comes from the cruficerious vegetables like Broccoli, Cabbage, etc.

Yet another way to get your SGS:

http://www.brassicatea.com
gregslater
gregslater

Back to top Go down

Post  zerx Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:32 am

IH Since you take IP6 only once a day, how many grams is your daily dose. Also, how long do you plan to take it for and do you plan to do it periodically.

zerx

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:44 am

zerx - I'm glad this thread was made because like most people, I just accepted that IP6 was an iron chelator. Turned out it only protects against iron damage but it does improve the transport of oxygen via hemoglobin.

Before this understanding, I was taking load of IP6 periodically (one per week), usually a few grams at per dose (3 to 4 capsules). But not I place most of the positive expectations on the lipoic acid, which helps deal with the iron the best.

So when my IP6 supply runs out (I will probably quit it all together). Lipoic acid has plenty of supporting research showing at least a partial chelating effect on iron, but more importantly good protection from iron.

In this latest study shows very potent protection from a combination of Lipoic Acid & Acetyl L-Carnitine.

Redox Rep. 2008;13(1):2-10.
Lipoic acid and acetyl-carnitine reverse iron-induced oxidative stress in human fibroblasts.
Lal A, Atamna W, Killilea DW, Suh JH, Ames BN.

Nutrition & Metabolism Center, Children's Hospital Oakland Research Institute, Oakland, California, USA. alal@mail.cho.org

Iron overload occurs frequently in thalassemia and other disorders that require regular blood transfusions. Excess iron is toxic owing to the generation of free radicals that lead to oxidation of biomolecules and tissue damage. In order to identify compounds that reduce oxidative injury from iron, we evaluated alpha-lipoic acid (LA), a multifunctional antioxidant, in iron-overloaded primary human fibroblasts (IMR-90). Oxidant stress was measured using dichlorodihydrofluorescein diacetate that is converted to the fluorescent dichlorofluorescein (DCF) upon oxidation. Exposure to ferric ammonium citrate (FAC) increased the iron-content of IMR-90 cells and caused a rise in oxidant appearance. The addition of LA improved the cellular redox status and attenuated the iron-mediated rise in oxidants in a dose-dependent manner. The R- and RS-enantiomers of LA demonstrated similar antioxidant activity. N-tert-butyl hydroxylamine (NtBHA) treated cells also exhibited a decrease in DCF fluorescence, but at a much higher concentration compared with LA. The combination acetyl-L-carnitine (ALCAR) and LA exhibited superior antioxidant effect at all dose levels. We conclude that LA is highly effective in reversing oxidative stress arising from iron overload and that its antioxidant efficacy is further enhanced in combination with ALCAR.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MadGreek Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:03 am

Hi! New to this forum and to doing something smart about my hairloss and overall health.

I have Thalessemia Minor (meaning no transfusions and generally not an issue). Is it safe for me follow IH's regimem and/or should I be altering it in some way to account for my condition.

Thanks.

MadGreek

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:31 am

MadGreek - From what I know, I do not believe there are any complications concerning Thalassemia minor and the regimen.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down