Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Goitrogenic effect of cruciferous vegetables EmptyToday at 1:05 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Goitrogenic effect of cruciferous vegetables EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Goitrogenic effect of cruciferous vegetables EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Goitrogenic effect of cruciferous vegetables EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Goitrogenic effect of cruciferous vegetables EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Goitrogenic effect of cruciferous vegetables EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Goitrogenic effect of cruciferous vegetables EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Goitrogenic effect of cruciferous vegetables EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Goitrogenic effect of cruciferous vegetables EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Goitrogenic effect of cruciferous vegetables

+2
tooyoung
mphatesmpb
6 posters

Go down

Goitrogenic effect of cruciferous vegetables Empty Goitrogenic effect of cruciferous vegetables

Post  mphatesmpb Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:47 pm

I eat a lot of raw cruciferous vegetables. I've recently learned that cruciferous vegetables can have a goitrogenic effect.

I was wondering: can the goitrogenic effect of consuming cruciferous vegetables be counteracted by taking lugol's solution?

thanks,
MP
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Goitrogenic effect of cruciferous vegetables Empty Re: Goitrogenic effect of cruciferous vegetables

Post  mphatesmpb Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:52 pm

PS:
Wikipedia defines goitrogens as "substances which suppress the thyroid gland by interfering with the uptake of iodine." Is interfering with iodine uptake the only way a substance can have a goitrogenic effect? If so, then I would think that supplementing with lugol's solution would counteract the goitrogenic effects of consuming raw cruciferous vegetables.
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Goitrogenic effect of cruciferous vegetables Empty Re: Goitrogenic effect of cruciferous vegetables

Post  tooyoung Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:43 am

I'm interested in hearing a response to this as well.

tooyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:19 pm

This topic has been covered perhaps dozens of times on this forum. In short, studies show that the only animals who were deficient in iodine had a problem when they consumed a very high quantity of these vegetables. As information on this topic spread, many authors left out the important detail that the animals who had a thyroid problem only occurred when animals were iodine deficient.

Also, sufficient iodine will prevent this in say the hypothetical situation of consuming nothing but these vegetables in ones diet.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:45 pm

Sorry CS. I'll remember to use the search function next time.
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:55 pm

mphatesmpb - No problem, the search function on here really doesn't work as well as it should, kind of hit or miss.

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:01 pm

I think the main problem is that the search function looks only at the titles of threads rather than the actual content.
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  tooyoung Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:27 pm

CS - The flashlight and eye test says I have an adrenal problem. I may also have a thyroid problem but I am not sure.

Diets such as the anti estrogenic diet promote eating a lot of cruciferous vegetables and some mebers of this forum say there adrenals have improved due to sorting out their diet and eating similar to this. I have some iodine but as far as I'm aware, my adrenals have to recover before supporting the thyroid. If I eat lots of cruciferous vegetables to help heal my adrenals, am I damaging my thyroid?

tooyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  scottyc33 Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:20 pm

tooyoung wrote:CS - The flashlight and eye test says I have an adrenal problem. I may also have a thyroid problem but I am not sure.

Diets such as the anti estrogenic diet promote eating a lot of cruciferous vegetables and some mebers of this forum say there adrenals have improved due to sorting out their diet and eating similar to this. I have some iodine but as far as I'm aware, my adrenals have to recover before supporting the thyroid. If I eat lots of cruciferous vegetables to help heal my adrenals, am I damaging my thyroid?

What are the flashlight and eye tests?

scottyc33

Back to top Go down

Post  tooyoung Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:02 am

scotty - Look in a mirror in a dark room with a flashlight pointing across your eye. If your pupil keeps shuddering and not being able to stay at one point, this suggests you have adrenal problems.

tooyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  tooyoung Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:53 am

Diets such as the anti estrogenic diet promote eating a lot of cruciferous vegetables and some members of this forum say there adrenals have improved due to sorting out their diet and eating similar to this. I have some iodine but as far as I'm aware, my adrenals have to recover before supporting the thyroid. If I eat lots of cruciferous vegetables to help heal my adrenals, am I damaging my thyroid?

Should I supplement a low amount of iodine and make my diet better with more vegetables while trying to heal my adrenals, then once they are better up the dose a bit of iodine?

tooyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:12 am

tooyoung - The information that created a stir over cruciferous vegetables was performed on animals who were known to be deficient in iodine and ate only these vegetables with this experiment.

But there's nothing wrong with trying some iodine. The eye test is just one of many tests, by itself it doesn't not mean you have low adrenal function.

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  tooyoung Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:46 am

Does eating crucifers raw or cooked affect anything regarding the thyroid? Is raw or cooked best in general?

tooyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:02 pm

tooyoung,

Many of the health benefits of consuming cruciferous vegetables are brought about by a class of compounds called glucosinolates. Boiling and steaming causes a significant reduction in the glucosinolate-content of cruciferous vegetables. As far as I know, there are two major disadvantages to eating them raw: (1) the potential for thyroid suppression, and (2) the gas. Cooking solves both of these problems (goitrogens are deactivated by cooking). But as mentioned, you'd be losing a lot of the important nutrients that are helpful in fighting hair loss:

Here's an excerpt from the Linus Pauling article on cruciferous vegetables:

Does cooking alter the cancer-protective effects of cruciferous vegetables?

Glucosinolates are water-soluble compounds that may be leached into cooking water. Boiling cruciferous vegetables for 9-15 minutes results in 20-60% decreases in the total glucosinolate content of cruciferous vegetables. Cooking methods that use less water, such as steaming or microwaving, may reduce glucosinolate losses. However, some cooking practices, including boiling, steaming, and microwaving at high power (850-900 watts) may inactivate myrosinase, the enzyme responsible for the breakdown of glucosinolates into isothiocyanates and indoles. Although human intestinal bacteria can break down glucosinolates to some degree, several studies in humans have found that heat inactivation of myrosinase in cruciferous vegetables substantially decreases the bioavailability of isothiocyanates. To maximize the bioavailability of isothiocyanates and indoles, it's probably best to eat cruciferous vegetables raw or microwaved at low power.

You'd also be getting more sulforaphane (I believe that sulforaphane is a metabolite of a certain glucosinate) from raw cruciferous vegetables. Check out the following threads.

https://immortalhair.forumotion.com/t4565-sulforaphane?highlight=sulforaphane
https://immortalhair.forumotion.com/t1255-sulforaphane-activates-the-transcription-factor-nrf2-and-induces-phase-2-and-antioxidant-enzymes-in-human-keratinocytes?highlight=sulforaphane

I personally eat a lot of raw cruciferous vegetables (I just had a plate full of raw broccoli, with some blueberries and almonds on the side. It was great). Cruciferous vegetables can potentially suppress thyroid function by inhibiting the uptake of iodine - and this problem can hopefully be solved by getting more iodine through either diet or supplementation.
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  tooyoung Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:22 am

How much iodine per day would you suggest would be enough to eat raw cruciferous veggies without problems?

tooyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  stevelord Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:49 pm

I ate a lo of kale every night for many months, like he whole bunch or close to i, ae 150 mcg iodine, and the Doctor tested my thyroid and said it was still in normal limis but cauitioned me that i was close to being over the line.

Steve

stevelord

Back to top Go down

Post  stevelord Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:51 pm

stevelord wrote:

I ate a lo of kale every night for many months, like he whole bunch or close to i, ae 150 mcg iodine, and the Doctor tested my thyroid and said it was still in normal limis but cauitioned me that i was close to being over the line.

Steve

I am trying to find a listing of how much goitrogen is in each type of cruciferous. I think I did this once before and I think cabbage had more, not sure. I'll see

Steve

stevelord

Back to top Go down

Post  stevelord Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:34 pm

KI is short for potassium iodide, Steve

Horm Metab Res 1995 Oct;27(10):450-4

Iodine metabolism in response to goitrogen induced altered thyroid status under conditions of moderate and high intake of iodine.

Lakshmy R, Rao PS, Sesikeran B, Suryaprakash P.

National Institute of Nutrition, Indian Council of Medical Research, Hyderabad, India.

Metabolic experiments in rats were undertaken to relate excretory pattern of iodine and thiocyanate, with thyroid weight and the circulating levels of thyroxine, in response to moderate and high intake of iodine and under conditions of goitrogen induced altered thyroid status. On a moderate intake of iodine (by depriving diet of KI) 25 mg of thiocyanate or substitution of 1/3rd proportion of casein based diet with dry cabbage, could significantly reduce plasma thyroxine level by 60 days. Neither body weight nor the weights of liver, kidney, heart or spleen were affected due to exposure to goitrogens. A significant increase in thyroid weight as well as higher excretion of iodine and thiocyanate were evident in goitrogen-fed rats. Presence of high amounts of KI, to a certain extent, offered protection from adverse effects of the goitrogens. Semi quantitative assessment of thyroid, indicated hypofunctioning of thyroid with follicular hyperplasia in thiocyanate fed rats. These alterations were of moderate degree in response to cabbage feeding. These results emphasize that, moderate intake of iodine, adequate to meet iodine requirement, may not ensure normal functioning of thyroid in the presence of goitrogens.

stevelord

Back to top Go down

Post  stevelord Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:40 pm

stevelord wrote:

I ate a lot of kale every night for many months, like he whole bunch or close to i, ae 150 mcg iodine, and the Doctor tested my thyroid and said it was still in normal limis but cauitioned me that i was close to being over the line.

Steve

Correction, I doubt if I ate the entire bunch every nite but I ate a lot every night

Steve

stevelord

Back to top Go down

Post  Silverlin Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:23 am

stevelord - My suggestion to you is not to eat cruciferous raw too often, on occasion is fine, but if you're looking to consume a lot of cruciferous vegetables, either steam them, or as teacup has suggested, fermented them.

Depending on how much you ate, i would say 1000mcg would cover you well and truly.
Silverlin
Silverlin

Back to top Go down

Post  stevelord Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:14 pm

Silverlin wrote:stevelord - My suggestion to you is not to eat cruciferous raw too often, on occasion is fine, but if you're looking to consume a lot of cruciferous vegetables, either steam them, or as teacup has suggested, fermented them.

Depending on how much you ate, i would say 1000mcg would cover you well and truly.

Yeah, I agree, thakale I spoke of was always steamed. Thanks.

Seve

stevelord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down