Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Disinfecting Scalp? a hypothesis EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Disinfecting Scalp? a hypothesis EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Disinfecting Scalp? a hypothesis EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Disinfecting Scalp? a hypothesis EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Disinfecting Scalp? a hypothesis EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Disinfecting Scalp? a hypothesis EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Disinfecting Scalp? a hypothesis EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Disinfecting Scalp? a hypothesis EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Disinfecting Scalp? a hypothesis EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Disinfecting Scalp? a hypothesis

+5
teacup
TheFunkyStumpfighter
Amaranthaceae
baller234
ezmbh
9 posters

Go down

Disinfecting Scalp? a hypothesis Empty Disinfecting Scalp? a hypothesis

Post  ezmbh Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:40 am

Would disinfecting the scalp daily help kill off any bad germs in the scalp, and reduce inflammation?

The hypothesis is:

1- disinfect with oregano oil, grape seed oil, lemon balm oil, iodine.. What's a good method to disinfect?

2- Then, use some exfoliating shampoo to remove sebum that feeds the germs.

3- Finally, once disinfected would it be worth applying good probiotics, kefir, etc on the scalp to repopulate with good germs?

This is similar to getting rid of intestinal candida (by taking oregano oil, iodine, etc while supplementing with probiotics).

What do you think?

Really, thanks in advance for your feedback and advice bounce

ezmbh

Back to top Go down

Disinfecting Scalp? a hypothesis Empty Re: Disinfecting Scalp? a hypothesis

Post  baller234 Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:34 pm

I wouldn't think probiotics would be needed on the surface of the scalp. I thought they only provide benefits in our intestines. What benefit would they provide on top of our scalp?

baller234

Back to top Go down

Post  ezmbh Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:23 am

baller234 wrote:I wouldn't think probiotics would be needed on the surface of the scalp. I thought they only provide benefits in our intestines. What benefit would they provide on top of our scalp?

I am speculating here, they would fight off bad germs .. the scalp cant be sterile so some germs live there, some are probably better for the hair than others.

ezmbh

Back to top Go down

Post  Amaranthaceae Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:49 am

Good idea .. Using enzymes like bromelain or papain help in killing bacteria bio-films that otherwise protect the infection inside the follicles .. IMO.

Amaranthaceae

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFunkyStumpfighter Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:05 am

Bromelain is a great addition to any antimicrobial topical or shampoo, for so many reasons that anyone who makes their own shampoos absolutely eneds to have a bottle of the stuff.

Disinfecting is something you're just gonna have to go trial and error on, it's not always as easy as throwing on some grapefruit seed extract and washing regularly. Right now I'm using a homemade shampoo with lithium, DMSO, tea tree oil, iodine, bromelain, and grapefruit seed extract in a plain Dr. Bronner's base, and I'm seeing decent results but they're coming on slow.

TheFunkyStumpfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  teacup Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:24 pm

TheFunkyStumpfighter wrote:Bromelain is a great addition to any antimicrobial topical or shampoo, for so many reasons that anyone who makes their own shampoos absolutely eneds to have a bottle of the stuff.

Disinfecting is something you're just gonna have to go trial and error on, it's not always as easy as throwing on some grapefruit seed extract and washing regularly. Right now I'm using a homemade shampoo with lithium, DMSO, tea tree oil, iodine, bromelain, and grapefruit seed extract in a plain Dr. Bronner's base, and I'm seeing decent results but they're coming on slow.

wow, what a shampoo mix! this is neat. I'm just curious what "color" does this shampoo have with all these ingredients?
teacup
teacup

Back to top Go down

Post  misterE Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:00 pm

Killing the Malassezia-furfur (fungus/yeast), which multiplies on the scalp and feeds off sebum, is crucial (in my opinion) for regrowth. The fungus causes inflammation/scaling!
misterE
misterE

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFunkyStumpfighter Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:21 pm

teacup wrote:
TheFunkyStumpfighter wrote:Bromelain is a great addition to any antimicrobial topical or shampoo, for so many reasons that anyone who makes their own shampoos absolutely eneds to have a bottle of the stuff.

wow, what a shampoo mix! this is neat. I'm just curious what "color" does this shampoo have with all these ingredients?

Light pink, and smells entirely of tea tree oil..... so not unlike flowers and kerosene.

TheFunkyStumpfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Decro435 Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:21 am

misterE wrote:Killing the Malassezia-furfur (fungus/yeast), which multiplies on the scalp and feeds off sebum, is crucial (in my opinion) for regrowth. The fungus causes inflammation/scaling!

I think I agree with you about this. Why is it that Revita/Nizoral haven't cut it for me though?. I've been recommended a new topical by a user over at the curezone forums.

"I have a hair do for you, cheap and effective;
mix one heaped tablespoon of Borax in half a liter of warm water, add 10 drops of Iodine and 10 drops of essential oil
(rosemary, tea tree or lavender or a mix of these) dont worry the solution will turn transparent / borax fade the iodine color. I believe the inflammation have no chance toward this scalp mix.

Pour in a squeeze bottle and add some to your scalp, let it sit for half an hour or so. Then shampoo as usual."

Any thoughts on this topical.

MisterE, could you recommend me any topical?.
Decro435
Decro435

Back to top Go down

Post  misterE Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:27 am

Decro435 wrote:

MisterE, could you recommend me any topical?.

Dr. Bronners Magic Peppermint Soap! Best topical ever!

http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/OLPE16/PeppermintLiquidSoap.htm

Disinfecting Scalp? a hypothesis OLPE32EA
misterE
misterE

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFunkyStumpfighter Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:53 am

For the record, don't use Dr. Bronner's as a topical, it will dry your scalp out like no soap you have ever experience in your life. If you wan't a decent representation as to why, lather up some straight Dr. Bronner's and use the lather to shave, or use a couple drops of it to brush your teeth/put a drop of it on your tongue and swish it around (completely safe). It will make for the most uncomfortable shave you have ever had (outside of a dry shave), and it will make your tongue burn to the point where it goes completely numb.

I know I beat the dead horse on this stuff, but it is incredibly harsh. It's an amazing shampoo/body soap base, but trust me when I say none of the oils they put tiny amounts of into it make up for the fact that pure castile soap is not something you want to use unless you dilute it.

TheFunkyStumpfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  4039 Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:25 am

I use a Lugol's and apple cider vinegar mixture. Actually makes my hair look great, shiny and positively charged. Nizoral makes my hair look like dried straw. Other times I use either topical colloidal silver or gold. Once in a while I use these oils as topicals: peppermint, rosemary, cedarwood, clove, tea tree, lavender, sea buckthorn.

Back to top Go down

Post  Maup Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:57 am

For the record, don't use Dr. Bronner's as a topical, it will dry your scalp out like no soap you have ever experience in your life

How about if you add like 50% yoyoba or some other essential oil to it, would it make a good daily topical then?

Maup

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFunkyStumpfighter Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:32 am

I don't know why you'd want to use it as a topical in the first place, it's soap. If you tried to apply it like you'd apply a topical it would just lather up like shampoo.

TheFunkyStumpfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Maup Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:47 am

Excuse me, i meant to say use it as a daily shampoo. I have a lot of sebum and dandruff so i need to wash my hair every day and using nizoral every day is not an option. So i thought dr bronner mixed with an oil like yoyoba as a daily shampoo might be a good idea?

Maup

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFunkyStumpfighter Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:10 am

Ahh. If you're gonna use it as a shampoo I'd cut it with water for the most part, then add oils after that. Too much oil will keep it from doing much cleaning, and it'll leave your hair greasy as hell. If you are having a sebum problem, you could try adding lithium and DMSO to it. What I do is take the ~3.5oz of water I use to make 8oz of shampoo, put a decent amount of DMSO into it, then add my lithium while stirring it until there's a fair amount of undisolved lithium in the bottom of the container. Mixing it this way before you combine the water and castile soap ensures you get a good spread of lithium in the shampoo, and keeps grit to a minimum. A couple months of this will cut down your sebum levels pretty well.

Also, if you're making your own shampoo with Dr. Bronner's, it wouldn't hurt to add some anti irritants just to offset the harshness a bit. Shea butter, aloe vera, things like this.

TheFunkyStumpfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  misterE Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:40 pm

Dr. Bronners Magic Peppermint soap ingredients: Water, Organic Coconut Oil, , Organic Olive Oil, Mentha Arvensis, Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Peppermint Oil, Citric Acid, Vitamin-E

Dr. Bronners Soap completely removes oils. The oil (sebum) is food for the fungus that lives on top of the scalp (due to the high concentration of sebaceous-glands) and indirectly causes inflammation via the Immune-system. After a week of using this soap, my scalp began to shed dead-skin-cells at a enormous rate, it was like a complete exfoliation of scalp, I just couldn't believe how much build-up I had on my scalp and how much I was able to comb from my scalp. I would literally spend hours combing my scalp (about a hour after using the peppermint-soap as a shampoo) and was really amazed at large amount of flakes falling from my scalp!

Dr. Bronners Soap seems to completely remove sebum, kills fungus and also, via peppermint-oil acts as an anti-androgen. It also contains jojoba-oil, which is said to be a great sebum-dissolver/emulsifier. Also contains hemp-oil; a great source of EFA's and phytosterols... not to mention all of the ingredients are organic and non-synthetic... not tested on animals either!
misterE
misterE

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down